Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

One of the first google results is still the facebook page. I thought it was a joke thing until I looked at the dates...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

There's some big furore going on with permits for the Nepal side at the moment, since last years season basically didn't happen due to the disaster that killed the big group of Sherpas. The climbers still don't know if they'll be allowed to use the old permits and the government is dragging it's feet, so a lot of expeditions are in limbo

aka "We're just waiting until the expeditions hit base camp to tell them that we won't let them use old permits"

Given what I've heard in this thread, I can only assume that any time the Nepalese government uses the words "sanctity", "holy", or "pristine" in the same sentence as Everest it's because they're planning on jacking up permit prices.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

I'm in for 21 or 22 (if the 21s are gone), based on the BBC article about slashed permit prices. I expect we're going to be seeing some brand-new, sketchy-as-gently caress expedition groups bringing one or two people up.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Dely Apple posted:

I'm just saying that if another entire team is wiped out, they'll close the mountain again. You have be hoping for some kind of global warming-generated hyperstorm to destroy the mountain here to go over 20.

If they're making it cheaper to have a "team" of one sherpa, one expedition leader, and two rich assholes, I don't think they're going to close the entire mountain if they gently caress up.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

hailthefish posted:

My guess is 0 because no one will be allowed to climb it this year.

I don't care if that's already taken.

I really doubt the Nepalese government is going to be willing to let their golden goose go two years in a row.

Whether or not they allow last year's passes to be used is another question entirely, but even if they don't and the legitimate expeditions say "gently caress it, gently caress you, we'll come back next year" you know it's going to be amateur hour up there trying to grab all moneyed idiots who just can't wait.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Blitter posted:

I knew I'd played some text game a million years go on a sinclair, and indeed - Everest Ascent exists!

The .TAP file works just fine in this online zx spectrum simulator.

I have so far hired sherpas "tim" and "dick" and am going to kill them shortly as I failed to buy a tent.

Edit: Nope!

So what you're saying is this computer game for children from the 80s has a better handle on the equipment you need than some of the people who are actually summiting.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Spazzle posted:

There are no Arby's in sf :(. You have to go down the peninsula.

Only a little bit, it's in South SF, isn't it?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

Things won't always go right in wilderness situations, no matter how prepared and conditioned you are. A lot of people firmly believe that if there's any chance of risk, it's not worth taking.

Our brains are very heavily wired towards "not being good at statistics", which is why we spend billions on terrorism prevention and get scared of going up in airplanes, then jump into cars and tailgate people at 90mph.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

On the other hand, the actual numbers on K2 are mindbogglingly hideous. 80 deaths to 300 summits, those are horrific numbers however you cut it, even taking into account the failed attempts. There are very few things in life other than actual suicide that are more dangerous than making a serious attempt to climb K2, other than climbing Annapurna. Also when "things don't go right" in a regular wilderness situation, there are normally opportunities to put things right in some way, you're not usually instantly crushed under 400 tons of ice and rock.

Oh, for sure.

All that said, I now have an overwhelming desire to go Bond-villain and slice the top 500 meters of Everest off, just so something as dangerous as K2 is now the "highest". :unsmigghh:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Madcosby posted:

This isn't a gopro but it is people falling off a mountain

in the zaniest way possible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uBFwqI4TlM

one dude die, last i heard, the other was seriously injured and may die, but that's the news from like a week after I saw this

I think whoever came up with this idea should be the next one in the ball.

That sounded like Russian, though, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Russians pull some of the nuttiest stunts I've ever seen.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

That actually looked fun. Not so much after I found out people died.

Make a Zorb of sufficient thickness that it (and the people in it) can survive terminal velocity, then sell them to people at the summit of Everest.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

This reminds me of how irritated I get with the "Everest Climb" on a loving treadmill thing my gym does.

No, actually "climbing" on a treadmill at sea level isn't even close to the same thing as climbing an 8,000er.

Sounds like we figured out how the Canadian lady was training.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Ague Proof posted:

Congratulations on climbing Everest.

Flawless.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Cubey posted:

where the gently caress do you run or take shelter from a giant wall of snow when you're on a barren mountain

I would think "nearest tent" myself, so that you at least have some protection from being covered in ice shards.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

The-Mole posted:

getting into a tent against an avalanche like that is about as practical as duck and cover

probably but if presented the choice between "jump into a blender" or "jump into a bag full of potentially useful supplies and then throw yourself and the bag into the blender" i'd still probably pick the latter one

i mean even with duck and cover i'd probably choose 'under the desk' to 'watch the wrath of god coming down a mountain at me and catch it directly in the face'

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

smoobles posted:

If I were on Mount Everest right now I'd probably be eating my climbing buddies right this moment, I'm impatient I guess.

why wait?

i've never needed the excuse of being on everest

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

zedprime posted:

As not a geologist I can confirm with 100% accuracy that this is exactly how instability works after an earthquake.

It makes sense insofar as "avalanches that would have been caused by minor snow shifts have been shaken loose".

It just ignores the idea of more snow falling, aftershocks, and looking like a complete twat regardless of your stated goal of "doing it for Nepal", so

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

5.1 quake isn't that big of a deal. That's about 500 times smaller than the 7.8 quake.

For reference there were four earthquakes 5.0 or above today, same thing yesterday, Richter is log 10.

I’d say that any quake when you’re attached to the side of a snow-covered mountain or traversing a giant sheet of ice that’s already sliding around without any extra shaking required is a bigger deal than you’d really want to have.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

China closed their side, the major climbing companies canceled their expeditions. I don't remember if Nepal ever got the hint and shut it all down. Though they might leave it open in order to let two years of climbing permits expire.

Probably. The last word from Nepal was that the sherpas all basically said "gently caress this poo poo", but if Nepal-the-government said anything it's not been posted here yet.

Given the massive amount of money they've probably lost from tourism and two consecutive lost climbing seasons (even before we start talking rebuilding costs), I'd be surprised if they extended the permits again.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

If I die outside somewhere I hope some internet nerd solves the mystery of my bones

The inheritor of my will will be required to set up a geocaching game with my bones, with my skull as the final prize

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

All I can see in this picture is someone exploiting a game mechanic using a rail gun.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Meatwave posted:

You joke, but I think it was the Everest TV show where someone said that Everest is the only place on earth where you can have diarrhea and be constipated at the same time.

I don’t want to know, and yet. Something about pressure differentials?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

hailthefish posted:

What a rip-off.

I think we’re about done here.

• Locked thread