Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

OP, can you add this previous thread to your list:

2015 thread

im not mad, i just want some acknowlegdgement, thanks in advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Rondette posted:

Yeah sorry bud, I had no idea you had started one, and I had to keep my Everest fix going!

Added yours to the OP. I'll get round to posting some pics of and from my books tomorrow....

lol no worries, i'm juist happy to see this horrific mountain death thread back and active. it's one of my favorites on the board.

Parts Kit posted:

This was posted in the tail end of the last thread and it's an amazing read. It's about the last dive of David Shaw, when he attempted to recover the body of Deon Dreyer from a 800+ foot deep underwater cave.

http://www.outsideonline.com/adventure-travel/africa/south-africa/Raising-the-Dead.html

and this was a good read that i enjoyed from the last thread. the whole thing seems dumb when you look at the big picture but i couldnt stop reading it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

REAL SPORTS
lmao

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sports Are Real

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Skilleddk posted:

lmfao I am going to hell

I laughed until I got cramps

I'm glad I have a hell-buddy. I was intensely ashamed at how much I laughed at this

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Hunterhr posted:

Gonna be the first man corpse to inner tube down Everest.
That ball thing someone died in a few pages back looks like it might be fun to be in while it rolls down Everest.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

So do you guys feel disgusted that you're running a death pool at times like these? I certainly do.

I thought it was a pretty nasty thing to begin with. You guys suck.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

But people died. That's not very cool

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ars Arcanum posted:

Tell me more about what I do and do not understand on these super serious intarwebs forums at the comedy website something awful dot com, drilldo squirt

Well, for one, you don't seem to realize how much of an rear end in a top hat you're being. Or maybe you do. Who knows.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

EX250 Type R posted:

I think it is sad when people die too. The rich aren't people.

And if there are sherpa deaths?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

drilldo squirt posted:

Goons in this thread really get off on other people suffering and dying while trying to achieve something.

Yeah, it's hosed up.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It is an accurate summary of the previous threads

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ars Arcanum posted:

Sure was. Nice thread title, btw.

It does feel tasteless now. Perhaps I feel differently. Changing one's tune does seem better than doubling down on enjoying the deaths of others.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ars Arcanum posted:

I didn't do that, though? I said I felt bad for participating in the death pool (even though taking a guess at how many people might die any given year is not equivalent to hoping people die. We all know people are going to die on the mountain every year, it's inevitable).

Pretty sure no one here is totally loving the fact that a major earthquake just killed/injured hundreds of people and caused Everest to wipe out a bunch of climbers and sherpas, no matter how foolish some posters think said climbers are for spending ~$60K to waltz up a hill towards their potential deaths. Well, Ok, maybe a few people are, but most people saying so are just flinging poop back at the trolls at this point and being typical GBSers.
I wasn't really referring to you specifically. I sort of forgot about that old thread and in the wake of what's happening now, It just bums me out and feels wrong.

I can't speak for the Pepe penis avatar guy, but I'm not concern trolling and it feels like bizarre to be labeled as such just for feeling lovely and not wanting to make jokes about an ongoing tragedy.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Oh, and hey, I know somebody over there right now, at this very base camp. They are unharmed as of now.

Im glad of this news. Peace be with them

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

raditts posted:

I skipped a few pages, so is this thread back to talking about mountain climbing / updates on stranded people yet or do some people still need to get their hand-wringing shame-on-you shitposting out of the way

I don't know, maybe you should read the thread and find out

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

So your not really looking to read updates on the higher camps, base camp, climbers or nepal, you just want to know if those drat trolls are done making GBS threads up your favorite dead people photoshop thread? interesting and weird.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Broken Machine posted:

here's an article with more on the subject. The Scott expedition carried with them a bottle of Forced March cocaine pills

quote:

Psychoactive drugs were also on hand, Francis writes. Cocaine was "dripped in the eye to cure snowblindness." Diarrhea was treated with "chalk ground up with opium." Colic called for "tincture of cannabis" mixed with "tincture of chilli pepper." As our friends at the Two-Way have reported, they also had plenty of whisky on hand.

Hell yes. Climbing Everest was much cooler back then.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Reddit is the exact same as the SA forums. If you just accept what you're given and look at the default subreddits or click on GBS, FYAD or whatever other lovely forum is at the top, you'll be stuck with garbage and think the whole site is filled with retards. When you actually dig down into specific forums and threads, you'll find halfway decent humans that you can converse with.

cool, can we talk about this reddit website some more in this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Skellybones posted:

The Everest movie didn't actually have any Sherpas? jfc

Even Titanic remembered there were grimy dudes belowdecks shovelling coal into the furnaces

Yeah I think it did. It's been a month or two since I saw it, but I swear there was some rivalry or something between a couple of Sherpa dudes on each team.

• Locked thread