Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

Internet Kraken posted:

Please tell me this isn't real :smith:

It's not, but the poo poo and trash problem is serious. The good news is that some efforts are being made to mitigate it: http://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/nepal-enlists-mt-everest-climbers-clean-trash-strewn-slopes-n44276

...a lot of those people might've died in the avalanche last year though, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Also, requesting the thread title be changed to "Big Rock Corpsey Mountain" or "She Just Googled a Picture of Mt. Everest."

Ars Arcanum fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 13, 2015

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

That's loving bullshit. Why'd they take the time to drag her unwanted corpse down from the mountain when so many others are still up there?

IIRC, her family wanted the body removed, and paid a huge amount of money for sherpas to risk their lives to do so.

Also, I think it's technically illegal to leave bodies on the mountain and the locals really aren't fond of having their holy pile of rock and snow covered in foreign icemummies. So they'll often do corpse retrieval if people die in (or the elements move them to) an accessible place. Ones in the Death Zone are a lot less likely to be bothered with since it's hard to do anything there other than try to get out as soon as possible.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

SaltLick posted:

She'd probably have been fine if she didn't waste 30 minutes up there loving around.

Seriously, this was probably the most ridiculous thing she did (aside from coming in the first place with absolutely no mountaineering experience at all). Most people hang out on the summit just long enough to admire the view for a few minutes and take a few photos. Then they get the hell out of Dodge because it's dangerous up there and since tons of rich morons have added Everest to their bucket list, there's probably a line behind you. She was already in severe distress on her ascent, and the descent is much more difficult and potentially lethal for a lot of climbers. But no, she sits up there for half an hour like her brain hasn't been slowly killing itself for the past 18 hours.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Last Chance posted:

OP, can you add this previous thread to your list:

2015 thread

im not mad, i just want some acknowlegdgement, thanks in advance

I saw that. I'm sorry I posted in this thread instead. I did it because Rondette often posts bits of her sweet rear end collection of 8000-er death mountain books/links.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

ThePutty posted:

i wonder if there's some sort of academic document explaining exactly what drives people to think climbing everest is going to improve their lives or is even a good idea

If you read Krakauer's books, he goes into this quite a bit. It's been a while since I read his books, but I remember that he talks about a particular ascent he made (I think of Devil's Thumb), especially in Into the Wild (which is actually about Chris McCandless' ill-fated trip to Alaska rather than about mountaineering). He describes how during a rough patch in his life, he hoped that ascending this challenging mountain and standing on the razor-thin summit would give him some greater sense of clarity and personal actualization, and help him solve the issues he was having.

It didn't.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Cuckoo posted:

Even in the documentary, he didn't really look sad. Just exasperated and angry. "Yeah... I uh, admire that she had the guts to do it." :geno:

I finally watched it, and the part where they showed the rescue party lifting her body up freaked me the gently caress out for some reason. Like "oh, dude's lifting her up and they're...OH GOD LOOK AT THE CREEPY FROZEN CORPSICLE POSITION SHE'S IN."

The sherpas who go up into the Death Zone just to get the bodies must have gigantic balls.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

ImPureAwesome posted:

Do you guys think global warming might play a role in the safety of crossing the icefall and stuff like that as time goes on?

They're pretty sure it's going to gently caress with more than just the Icefall: http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/4/26/everest-climate-change.html

In a nutshell, we're looking at much higher avalanche risks, increased snowfall and storms, and less stable snow and ice packs (so icy parts of the mountain sliding off its own rock, more opening and shifting of crevasses, etc.).

But yeah, the Icefall is already notorious, and most people try to cross it shortly after dawn, when it's had time to freeze more solidly overnight. Warmer overall temperatures --> less overall stability = we'll probably see more seracs tipping over and snowbridges collapsing under people's feet.

If for whatever reason I ever decided to climb Everest, I'd be seriously tempted to take the less popular/more technically difficult north route just to avoid having to cross the Icefall. Seeing videos of people crossing it is nightmare fuel.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

I feel like there's going to be another big disaster. Like because of all the people who didn't get to climb last year, there will be an even bigger line than usual, and the whole snow pack on the top slope of the mountain is just going to shear off because Everest has clearly been in a "gently caress you" mood lately.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Jesus Christ.

I'm going to say 18, because I like to think the mountain is feeling ambitious and will want to pass last year's record (also, I feel like we're all going to hell for this).

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

You can't say I didn't warn you.

Throw some salt over your shoulder, too.

Also, I actually think the number will be lower, but 18 wasn't taken yet. Well, that and even the high ones don't seem that farfetched, because between the climate change stuff messing up the mountain's stability and the likely super-glut of climbers this year, all it would take is one bad day at the Icefall or another serac tipping over, and boom--Base Camp turns into a batch of Corpsesicle Surprise.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Picnic Princess posted:

We need to finish global warming so the permafrost line moves far enough up slope to allow microbes and plants to grow and break that poo poo down.

But then people will get lost because some of the landmark corpses will rot away. :ohdear:

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

That hole-cave can gently caress itself. I'm pretty sure that if my choices were to try to fit through there or fight a bunch of hungry jackals chasing me, I'd grab a stick and wait for the jackals.

Also, between our death pool and the corpse playing video games photoshop, I'm pretty sure we're all going to hell. See you there, I hope we don't have to squeeze through a tiny rock hole and climb a mountain covered in feces and icemummies for all eternity.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Hunterhr posted:

After reading up on K2... man K2 doesn't give a poo poo. K2 will kill your rear end dead and not even give a gently caress.

Neither does Kanchenchunga, the third highest peak. It's so remote and dangerous that people rarely attempt it, which is a good thing because those who do often die. Depending on the climbing season, it sometimes ratchets to the No. 1 spot in terms of kill rate, bypassing even K2 at times.

It's also rumored to be haunted by a demon yeti, and even though a team of climbers found a route that seemed viable way back in 1905, Aleister Crowley of all people happened to be on the team and was like "gently caress this poo poo, we're going back." No one summited until 1955, and only around 200 climbers have ever summited successfully. It ate mountaineering legend/amputee Zsolt Eross a couple years ago. :unsmigghh:

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Ansiktsburk posted:

I don't recall where I first heard it, but doesn't Annapurna have the highest death rate?

Overall, yes, though it depends on the seasons/what stats you're looking at. The top five most dangerous per summit attempt (which almost always includes Annapurna, K2, Nanga Parbat, and Kanchenjunga) shuffle their positions around sometimes. E.g., if K2 has a quiet year but Kanchenjunga has a busy one, it'll take the number two spot until K2 has another popular/deadly year.

Considering its continually rising popularity + incompetence + global warming, Everest might even make it to the top of the list some day! Reach for the stars, big tall mountain. :downs:

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Mystery Steve posted:

I Wonder if they'll drape his frozen corpse with said flag.

Can we contact another climber and pay them to steal all the Brazilian flags so if he dies, they have no choice but to use the Bitcoin flag.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

Highest American in nearly two years? Surely with the constant Everest expeditions there are Yanks submitting every year?

I think he meant highest up on K2. Not that many people attempt to climb it, and a lot who attempt it die or abandon their summit attempts.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Two years in a row, the season is halted by a major deathwave before we even get close to summit-time. The mountain is clearly sick of our poo poo.

Now I feel like a dick for participating in the death pool.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Angela Christine posted:

It's okay, just make a few macabre jokes and you'll feel better. We're all dicks here.

Um, on the upside I picked 18 so I'm currently winning?

The pictures of the sherpas being all "gently caress this!" are crazy. On the one hand, I want to be like "hey, that's not nice, you jerks, stay and help!" But on the other hand, when the mountain clearly tells you to GTFO, how can you fault those who listen to it.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Angela Christine posted:

Plus it was a big earthquake, not just an everest event. So their wives, children, cousins and so on are all potentially in danger back at home. In that situation I'm not sure playing tour guide for a bunch of strangers would be more important to me than checking that my family was okay.

Yeah, it also seems like they'll have a better chance of helping at the nearby cities than they will on the mountain, especially if it's true that the icefall route is completely obliterated. What are you even really supposed to do?

Chocobo posted:

80+ missing, isn't this going to be the biggest disaster in mountaineering history? (again)

Jon Krakauer is on the phone negotiating a whole book series right now.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

captainoblivious posted:

Other than the icy tomb they are encased in of course

I was waiting for our bus driver to show up...

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

drilldo squirt posted:

loving religious people, I swear to god.

God will totally help me through this completely unnecessary and totally avoidable and also potentially lethal journey I started entirely of my own free will. :downs:

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

You're hoping that people die because they choose to travel. Nice.

That's not what I'm doing at all and you know it, so take your dumb poo poo elsewhere.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

drilldo squirt posted:

Yeah. you're just justifying your atheism by masturbating over people who are dead.

Whole lot spergy tears up in here all of a sudden.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

drilldo squirt posted:

I don't think you understand what spergy, tears, and all of a sudden mean.

Tell me more about what I do and do not understand on these super serious intarwebs forums at the comedy website something awful dot com, drilldo squirt

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Feminition posted:

man people can find some intrinsic discomfort at the nature of human death but find humor in the circumstance that lessens the effect of tragedy it doesn't make them "not normal"

that's like, why the darwin award books were so loving popular

Shh, stop trying to be rational. We're all prime evil sociopaths here and literally want everyone on the mountain dead for our viewing and sexual pleasure.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

drat. Hopefully the death toll doesn't reach 12k this time around.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm glad to see you decided you were wrong, ars.

I hope you decide to realize how delusional you are.

About how your troll attempts are funny, that is

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Pvt Dancer posted:

moments before:

I see the thread is back on its proper course. It's like the last three pages were our trek down through the remains of the Icefall route.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Beep Street posted:

Roughly how many people were on the mountain at the time? I think it might take a few days for the scale of this disaster to be realised once they count up how many are missing.

I think there's usually a thousand or so hanging around during the prime climbing season, but most are down at base camp.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

NihilismNow posted:

These deaths are also funny. Especially stupid poo poo like cave diving. There was a great example on This American life about a guy who died cave diving and then another guy organised a expedition to retrieve his body but he died in the attempt. It is ok though, his bloated corpse brought up the other corpse with him.
How is that not funny?

The original corpse was turned into soap and missing its head though, so that was pretty effed up.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Last Chance posted:

Yeah, it's hosed up.

Says the guy who posted this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694001&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post440106682

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Last Chance posted:

It is an accurate summary of the previous threads

Sure was. Nice thread title, btw.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

onemanlan posted:

Well I wonder how far the toll goes over the next day or two. 25+?

How trapped are the people in the upper camps? Were routes destroyed during this event?

Considering they're reporting 18 dead just at Base Camp, it's probably going to be pretty bad.

There are reports that the Icefall route has been severely damaged/destroyed, so people are indeed trapped in the higher camps: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/04/25/massive-avalanche-slams-into-everest-base-camp-following-nepal-earthquake/

When things get more organized, they might be able to use helicopters to help get people out, but I'm sure more efforts are being focused in Kathmandu and the other towns that have literally hundreds of dead and trapped people.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

I'm Crap posted:

the most good he ever did a bear was feeding it

:drat:

Also this happened a few days ago in Africa: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/04/17/hunter-ian-gibson-trampled-death-elephant-tracking-kill_n_7085374.html

Elephant hunting seems like a pretty bad idea, IMO.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Last Chance posted:

It does feel tasteless now. Perhaps I feel differently. Changing one's tune does seem better than doubling down on enjoying the deaths of others.

I didn't do that, though? I said I felt bad for participating in the death pool (even though taking a guess at how many people might die any given year is not equivalent to hoping people die. We all know people are going to die on the mountain every year, it's inevitable).

Pretty sure no one here is totally loving the fact that a major earthquake just killed/injured hundreds of people and caused Everest to wipe out a bunch of climbers and sherpas, no matter how foolish some posters think said climbers are for spending ~$60K to waltz up a hill towards their potential deaths. Well, Ok, maybe a few people are, but most people saying so are just flinging poop back at the trolls at this point and being typical GBSers.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

ethanol posted:

rip our lost alaskan safarimen

...what exactly does one do with a dead porcupine? Make a ton of poison tipped darts from their quills?

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Foam Monkey posted:

Does anybody know what the highest camp reached so far was? I don't know if there have been any summit pushes or not yet, because I have no idea of time scales when it involves climbing mountains. I know camp 4 is in the death zone, but could they hole up in camp 3 until they could figure out a non-icefall route down?

Pretty sure most teams are no higher than Camp 1 or Camp 2. There's not really much definitive information out yet regarding the damage at the camps. Those stuck above the Icefall would probably be best off trying to make do where they are rather than ascending further--the higher they go, the less likely they are to be able to get a helicopter rescue. It's possible that routes other than the Icefall have been damaged as well, also making further ascent pretty risky at this point.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

frajaq posted:

I just want to laugh at dead people, is this a crime?

Careful or we'll end up with drilldo squirt in here again.

The've also been working on helicopter assisted rescues today, but apparently the weather is complicating things. They're also taking the badly injured people to Pheriche rather than Kathmandu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

keevo posted:

Someone is saying that Camp 2 has about two days worth of supplies left. I don't know why they aren't going down to Camp 1 though.

That route might be damaged/risky right now, too.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It would be insanely nerve-wracking to be above the icefall right now; knowing that you can't climb down. In theory they should have a few weeks of supplies with them though, right? Summits were probably still 3-4 weeks away?

They deliberately don't put all their supplies in place at once because there's always a chance that they'll get wiped out by storms/avalanches/thieves.

Pvt Dancer posted:

Why don't they drop some zorbs and then roll down the ice fall?

Because they don't want to end up at the bottom of a 100+ feet-deep crevasse.

This article has pictures of the rescue operations and the snow cloud: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/04/26/mountaineers-guides-everest-avalanche/26410705/

• Locked thread