Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did Zexal have a glacial moving plot interspersed with cute character moments in the first half?

Zexal was a complete trainwreck from start to finish. Fun duels, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

VJeff posted:

I mean I didn't watch it all cause I was really bored with it but people tell me it gets really good in the second half.

As someone who watched it fairly recently, I can confidently say that it does not.

E: I like VRAINS. :shrug: It has too many recaps and they need to build out Takeru's deck more, but for the most part it's fine. My biggest issue with it (recaps aside) is that Yusaku didn't bring in Go and Aoi after the first part ended.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 16, 2018

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fruity20 posted:

I remembered yu gi oh when i was a wee kid. I had major nostalgia for the show. watching it now...eeeee. gx was the second series watch and it was fine i guess? the msot membrolable parts were that duel with the sandwich stealing guy and maybe the one with the flip ton of shipping (ya know with a romance themed deck). 5ds eng intro was cool but i barely cared for the show. zexal i barely watched and could not bare. arc-v, idk about that but i did like the main character.

watched the 4 english episodes of vrains and....it's alright i guess? though that data storm rear end pull pissed me off .

honestly i fell out of love with the series for awhile but i had some good memories with it.

Honestly, if you didn't like 5Ds, I dunno if you're ever going to get much value out of the show. Granted, I never watch the English versions because 4Kids is intolerable, but I doubt it's that much worse.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

VJeff posted:

It's much worse.

...Okay, fair enough. I don't even know why I thought they wouldn't ruin the show.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I really wonder how much better the pacing in VRAINS would be if they didn't have recap episodes every third duel.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

VJeff posted:

I thought we were talking about the 5D's dub - which was pretty bad. I mean all the dubs are bad. They look ugly, they sound bad, the delivery is stilted, the dialog is stilted. They're just really poorly produced shows, without even comparing them to the originals.

I know the Arc-V dub had more people who were actually fans of the series involved they really tried to do what they could with the material but you can only do so much.

I was definitely talking about 5D's. On the subject of the Arc-V dub, though: how did they let "Zuzu Boyle" happen? I get that a 4Kids dub is going to rename the characters to Americanize them, but Zuzu?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Speaking of the dub and the Synchro dimension, did they just completely write out the Yugo jokes? There's no way you can get that to translate.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Vandar posted:

I said it earlier and I’ll say it again.

Revolver is that guy you run into online that hasn’t played since the Duel Monsters era and is running a crappy Dragon deck and manages to steal wins because he runs old janky poo poo that no one is expecting.

Mirror Force. :argh:

I legitimately love how much of a big deal the show made out of Revolver having Mirror Force. And then they gave him Mirror Force Launcher or something to support it because ~Mirror Force~

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Captain Baal posted:

I began rewatching all of Yugioh with my friends and forgot I haven't posted in this thread forever. Honestly a little surprised to see no one vouched to make a new one yet. How is everyone?

Also I have watched none of Vrains is that show okay or at least funny enough?

VRAINS is decent. It's not as good as the earlier series, but it's not awful like Zexal or Arc-V. Definitely worth watching.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Zexal is intensely terrible. It starts bad, almost looks like it's going to not completely suck for a little while, then it decided to become even worse. That show is almost completely without value.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Zexals starts of bland then turns into fun goofy poo poo then hyper speeds onto Long Dead Space God Betrays Existence and in that it's basically GX but slightly less intense in both directions.

It's p. okay.

Eh, it still suffers from the fact that the core Zexal cast is completely unlikeable, and the less said about the Zexal form the better.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yuma's friends are basically non-entities at any time the plot starts though, and from there on only Yuma sucks, Astral is a perfectly fine Atem, Shark is the second best character in the series, and Kaito is an enjoyable change of pace with a surprisingly nice Kaiba that never loses to the protagonist. Pretty much every villain is genuinely enjoyable, with Vector taking the unarguable "best character" slot.

Shark and Rio were good characters, but their transformation from heroes to villains was both unearned and absolutely critical to the plot. Most of the rest of the villains were generally fine, I thought Vector was ultimately pretty bad. Kaito was cool.

Yuma's friends didn't really matter, per se, but they were everpresent and always, always terrible.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Electric Phantasm posted:

Haven't watched the final episode yet, but it sucks to hear it's a nothing ending. I was enjoying Ai and Robopoppi as villians.

Where does VRAINS fall in the Yu-Gi-Oh rankings for everyone?

I haven't watched the last few episodes, but pretty much dead center for me. It wasn't complete garbage, but it wasn't great either. Most of my complaints with VRAINS are consistent complaints throughout the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime as a franchise, nothing unique to the series.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh no, she's aware of her role.

Honestly, that's an improvement over most female leads in this franchise. :shrug:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Vandar posted:

She most likely would have had a larger role if the show hadn't ended six months early.

Have you seen literally any of the other shows?

E: Being less flippant for a second here, the most consistent thing in the Yu-Gi-Oh anime is that as any given series goes on, the female leads become less relevant, not more.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 26, 2019

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TheKingofSprings posted:

Remember Aki?

Remember how cool she was?

Remember when her screentime got forever eaten up by a guy playing a deck of overgrown chickens?

Yeeeeeep. One of the most infuriating things in the entire loving franchise. I honestly loving hate Crow, entirely because of this.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rudoku posted:

It was great. Carly's VA being in a cult ruined Aki's story so bad.

Wait, what? Elaborate please

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TheKingofSprings posted:

Carly’s VA was involved in a Japanese sex cult and they moved waaaaaay away from anything involving cults and also coincidentally Carly

And they couldn't rewrite Aki's story to account for this?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TheKingofSprings posted:

She’s a woman in shonen so no

E: They never even resolved the ship tease with Yusei so the closest a romance has ever gotten to happening in Yugioh outside of that one chick with her frogs and Bastion with the Amazoness that sexually assaulted him are two people holding hands, looking into each-other with their eyes and saying what great friends they are

Yeah, I think we're on the same page here. All of this is true.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

MJeff posted:

They did. And her new story was loving lame as gently caress, including some weird thing about her losing her powers and then getting them back.[/quote
God, I barely remember this happening. Pretty much the only thing I remember is her basically not existing (because Crow took her spot) and the ending.

[quote]
They came close in the final episode. I choose to believe Aki and Yusei were in love but understood Aki had to go to school and Yusei was staying so they had to be adults about it and then when Aki got her PhD they boned.

That's the reasonable take, but it would have been nice if they weren't cowards and were actually explicit that this happened.

MJeff posted:

Across both 5D's and Arc-V, Crow has been pretty awesome when used as a supporting character, it's just when they try to make him the focus and make his stupid loving deck the focus that he becomes so easy to hate.

He's really not a bad character at all, he was just pushed way too hard.

Crow as a character is actually pretty awesome and I don't really mind his deck, it's just impossible to separate him from Aki getting sidelined.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 26, 2019

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

MJeff posted:

If it makes you feel any better, when asked whether Yusei would show up in Arc-V, his voice actor joked that he was too busy going on dates with Aki. :v:

It actually does, that's a good joke. :haw:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

MJeff posted:

Lesse.

Asuka almost confesses to Juudai, but she freakin' wusses out. Juudai goes on to live with his spirit waifu Yubel and Asuka presumably marries Manjoume, who's probably way better husband material anyway.
Yusei and Aki have their moment where it's pretty clear they have mutual feelings for each other, then they go their separate ways.
I think Kotori confesses to Yuma? But then the show ends like a minute later.

Yuzu....sure is standin' across from Yuya there for a second before he goes and does something else entirely...wow...so powerful....

She does, quite enthusiastically in fact. Real shame that her role in the rest of the series was to say Yuma's name sadly and basically do nothing else.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just watched the final duel of VRAINS and I've gotta say, that was a much stronger climax than I was expecting. I was pretty down on the final arc, and Ai's motivations didn't really make any sense, but then everything clicked with the new revelations from that duel, it was really loving good.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ohhh. Always wondered about that.

Honestly, that makes it even better and only strengthens my need for more Kaiba in the new anime. :v:

Somehow the monster spirit was less insane than actual Kaiba. Have you seen the Dark Side of Dimensions?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Skeleton Mom posted:

DSoD Kaiba is just like... A terrifying tech-fascist who has surveillance cameras everywhere, owns all the world's wealth, has a personal SWAT team and declares himself God at one point. If the upcoming series ends up being a continuation from that movie, he's set himself up to be one hell of a villain.

Don't forget the ending, where he created a device that lets him temporarily travel into the afterlife!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

Small correction: the "temporary" part is never confirmed. In fact, Kaiba leaves Mokuba set-up to take over Kaiba Corp.

Kaiba went into the afterlife fully expecting not to come back, entirely to get a revenge card game against his rival.

True, I did just assume that the tech worked as intended and he'd be back in the living world at some point.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.siliconera.com/yu-gi-oh-legacy-of-the-duelist-link-evolution-coming-to-ps4-xbox-one-and-pc-in-spring-2020/

Link Evolution will receive an update in Spring of 2020. The update will update the Master Rule 4 to Master Rule 5 (it's not actually called 5 but yeah), it'll add 15 characters to VRAINS, and will include a "large-scale" of new cards with "Crystron Halqifibrax" being a part of them.

The PS4, 360, and PC will all receive this update as a port of the Switch game while the Switch will just have the update as free DLC.

I was just looking for the release date of the update. I think the new cards stop with Chaos Impact (unless plans changed), so even though it's getting promo cards from newer sets, it'll still be pretty far behind.

Still, looking forward to playing the update. Hopefully it comes out in March/April and not late May or the middle of June.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ThermoPhysical posted:

Thing is they've never officially said when the cards stop, that was just something someone on Reddit came up with. So far, they've only shown that Firewall Dragon Darkfluid, 1:P Masquerena, and Crystron Halqifibrax will be available.

Crystron is coming out in the TCG next month and the other two have been around for a bit. It might be October 2019 or it might be March since Crystron is there.

I could see it releasing in April though since the new rules start April 1st for both OCG and TCG.

Oh weird, I could have sworn the official announcement of the update specified Chaos Impact. If we get newer sets, that's exciting. There are a lot of cards newer than Chaos Impact that I'd like to clown on AI opponents with.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

limeicebreakers posted:

Since the game came up, is Link Evolution a good game? I've been wanting to scratch my Yugioh itch for a while (specifically, PvE content with a limited pool of cards) and was thinking of buying this.

It's pretty good for that. I'm not sure I'd play this version of the game against other actual humans (there are better solutions for that), but there's a ton of PvE content for you. Here are the basic pros and cons:

Pros:
*Lots of AI decks to play against.
*AI decks are split into story mode, which is really easy, and challenge duelists, which can actually be decently challenging.
*An absolute truckload of cards to acquire.

Could go either way:
*Master rule 4. There's no way to turn this off, so you if you want to play a 5D's era deck with 5D's era rules, you're SOL. You should be good once the Master Rule Update comes out, but even then, you're not gonna be able to play with pre-MR4 Pendulums. Just something to be aware of.

Cons:
*It's difficult to get specific cards, you might need to do a lot of grinding.
*It's slow. Every little thing you do in the game takes a lot longer than it needs to, so turns can take a lot longer than they should.
*Here's far and away the biggest problem with the game: it crashes. A lot. It can get really frustrating to get 75% through a duel only for the game to crash on you.

Overall, it's suitable, it does the job, and it's just plain fun. Not without its flaws, but if you can tolerate them, you'll have a great time.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 19, 2020

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

If it's retained the same card gathering system as Legacy of the Duelist I can't bring myself to buy it despite my love of PvE because I played LotD so long and I still don't have 3 copies of Pot of Avarice. Plus you have to open packs one by one and it takes a goddamn long time* to open each pack, which adds to the frustration.

* Maybe there's a way to skip it? I don't know, haven't played LotD in months. Or maybe I was skipping and it was still long.

There are two ways of getting cards in Link Evolution. Method 1: random character boosters. These suck because they're basically totally random and the game doesn't check if you have a playset of cards or anything.

The other method is by dueling specific people. This is probably your best bet at getting a card you need because the card pool is so much smaller. It's slow, though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

limeicebreakers posted:

Wow, thanks for all the responses (especially King of Solomon for the breakdown)!

The last time I played Yugioh was the World Championship 2008 game on the DS, which was pre-Synchros. Aside from the card codes, you could buy booster packs with in-game currency you accumulated from winning duels. I sort of assumed that was the case for Link Evolution, guess I was wrong!

To be clear, you absolutely earn in-game currency that you use the buy boosters, it's just instead of real boosters it's an anime character. And each booster has WAY too many cards in them.

quote:

I'm hoping that the steady progrsssion of a game with a story mode + steadily increasing range of options will help me catch up with modern rules and mechanics, but the grindy nature of obtaining new cards is making me kind of hesitant on getting the game. Is it hard to get a consistent deck in the beginning unless you're lucky?

The story is broken up between each individual anime. So if there's any given mechanic you want to learn, you pretty much just need to play the first match in the associated anime's story. Beyond that, even an incompetent deck built with VRAINS-era cards will make a mockery out of DM/GX era decks, so you have plenty of time to practice.

It's not too hard to get a consistent deck at all. What IS harder is getting specific cards or archetypes. If you just want to build a deck to learn the mechanics and build up a massive currency pool, just buy a bunch of Yusaku packs, play the VRAINS tutorial, and have fun with the DM story.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

Well, Master Rule 4 is not a thing anymore, so maybe...Sevens could be good?

I mean it probably won't be because all YGO anime are heavily flawed and have either terrible beginnings or terrible endings, but who knows, maybe this will be the one that manages to keep a consistent quality!

It's a show about a gimmick format, so I'm not about to get my hopes up. I get that the regular format card game is too fast paced for a weekly 25 minute show (VRAINS did a great job of showing that), but I dunno about this. We'll see.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

mobile suit goatse posted:

the original manga is awesome, the cartoons are really bad and for children and the paper game is a lot of fun

The cartoons are good, but also for children. Well, some of them are good.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

Let's be honest, none of the cartoons are good for their entirety. They have good parts but are never consistently good for all their run.

SEVENS has been good so far though, episodes keep being funny and dumb. I hope they continue being funny and dumb forever.

Obviously none of them are perfect, but I'd say they're overall good. It's way too early to tell with SEVENS, but some of the others are good.

mobile suit goatse posted:

DM is fun and season 0 is cool. I tried a couple episodes of the sequel series' and they're just awful. Removing the occult and ancient Egypt stuff from Yugioh was a dumb and bad move imo.

They all have their extremely serious and impactful card game fights, which is the actual important thing. Like, let's compare to 5D's, which is one of the best Yugioh series, right up there with DM. First off, you have the duels on motorcycles, which is already extremely stupid in an incredible way. But then you have villains that are trying to restore ancient evils as represented by the Nazca Lines. Then later in the series you have an arc where the villains are time travelers from the future. It's just as stupid and fun, it just replaces the source of the goofy high stakes duels.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Bee posted:

I'm rewatching GX now with a friend and man, wtructurally the show is a mess. Plot beats become relevant or irrelevant at complete random. More characters than you can ever do justice glom onto the main cast. The stakes rarely seem to matter, less in a fun way and more in a confusing way. And it never goes quite as dumb and over the top as it should.

So much potential. But man did it need another pass in editing.

Yugioh has a bad habit of introducing (or promoting) characters in season 2+ as heroes and making them incredibly important. It never really goes well, in my opinion, and if I remember correctly GX does this to a comical degree.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

It happened to Kenzan and, to a much lesser extent, Rei, but the biggest example is undeniably Johan, who could see monster spirits and was chosen by...something...to do who the hell knows. Absolutely nothing comes out of the plotline they set up for him, in spite of him basically becoming Judai's best friend/love interest the moment they meet. The most he does is get possessed by Yubel to serve as Judai's motivation, and then he fades completely into the background in the last arc.

There's also Edo Phoenix and Bonaparte, though it's a little less neat with those two since Bonaparte is basically a joke character, and Edo is a villain for a good chunk of the show.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just caught up on SEVENS after falling behind a couple episodes, and jesus loving christ I hate everything that Mimi Atachi represents, and probably not in the way the show intended. That character should not exist.

NikkolasKing posted:

Something I never thought about until it was pointed out to me is the reason why Slifer Red is the worst dorm (apparently infested with cockroaches, no clean sheets and barely any edible food) at Duel Academy while Obelisk Blue is the top dorm with fancy parties and populated by the elite ofthe selite is because Kaiba founded the thing and Slifer was Yugi's God while his was Obelisk.

It's very obvious in retrospect and also very Kaiba to be that petty.

EDIT:

Apparently this was dub addition, much like the dueling monkey being named Wheeler was also added in the dub.

The dub rules.

I mean, it's still named after Yugi's god card, they just changed it from Osiris to Slifer, same as the original anime did. That name change (and especially the fact that it was never reverted) will never not piss me off.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Larryb posted:

SEVENS is possibly the best Yugioh season in years in my opinion, all the characters are fun for the most part and it never really takes itself too seriously. Hope this keeps up and it doesn’t go completely off the rails later on.

Ehhh, SEVENS is okay. I think the comedy works, but Rush Duels just aren't very interesting to watch and I actually don't like that it doesn't have stakes. Yugioh is at its best when it's settling extremely high stakes scenarios with card games, at least in my opinion. Plus I just really want Atachi to go away.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

See I understand why people might like that but

No YGO is good when they're taking it all 100% series and playing it straight. You don't need to make it more lighthearted the fact that they're playing a card game to decide and inter-dimensional holy war does that enough.

Yes, exactly.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

AlternateNu posted:

But are the duels any good?

No, they still suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
SEVENS is a lighthearted show about goofballs playing a new variant on the card game they like with the purpose of selling that new Yugioh format, and it's very good at doing that.

Unfortunately, Rush Duels are loving lame and I like it when the Yugioh anime actually has stakes, which SEVENS refuses to do, so it's only ever going to be pretty good.