Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

ESPN got an 18.5 rating for the game. That's insane. An increase of 21% over last year and 15% over the previous highest rating in cable history, the 2011 Auburn/Oregon game: http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2015/01/college-football-playoff-national-championship/

Good enough for ESPN's highest overnight rating ever.

quote:

In the primary home markets of the two schools, the telecast delivered a 51.2 in Columbus, the No. 1 overall market, and a 37.6 in Portland, Ore., good for fourth overall. The top 10 metered markets (in addition to those of the competing teams) are the following: Columbus (51.2), Dayton (43.8), Cleveland (41.3), Portland (37.6), Birmingham (36.1), Cincinnati (26.5), Jacksonville (25.7), Knoxville (25.5), Greenville SC (24.1) and Atlanta (23.0).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

The Sun Belt and Mountain West are asking the CFP to deny Army and Navy from access to CFP playoffs and bowls (and more or less drop them out of FBS) on the basis that the Army-Navy game takes place after the final CFP standings are released, and therefore the result of the game could mean new standings have to be released.

In other news, ISIS conquers two college conferences.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

It wouldn't be totally impossible for Navy to catch some AAC teams off guard and be in position for the contractual obligation G5 berth either, but then we don't see Notre Dame complaining about Navy.

Seems more like the Mountain West is trying to litigate potential compeition for Boise State out of existence, and I don't know what the hell the Sun Belt is asking for.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

BYU is now a Power 5 team.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

John O'Korn has transferred to Michigan. He'll redshirt his transfer wait period and I guess whatever happens with Michigan's crowd of QBs happens.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 5, 2015

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Wanvig posted:

Houston is sending a guy!

And it wasn't the guy I expected. I don't think Deontay Greenberry is getting drafted at this point.

Also Houston related, word is AD Mack Rhoades is in talks to take the same job at Missouri.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

surrender posted:

Are y'all too scurred to come to the 3rd ward to get Frenchy's

You don't need to come to the Tre for Frenchy's anymore. Since Frenchy died franchises have been springing up all over the place. Even in the not-ghetto like Katy.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Rap fight songs got me thinking of the Swishahouse UH fight song remix from back in 2011 when UH was looking at a Sugar Bowl date.

There was a chopped and screwed version of this on Youtube which is 110% Houston as hell, but no more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMPaUVq-UsE

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Wanvig posted:

We should just make Hustlin' our fight song. Our band already plays an arrangement of it!

Only problem is Rick Ross is Miami. That said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig2-2fbXV7w

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

A newly signed BYU running back is gonna have his scholarship pulled after assaulting a prostitute.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865621790/Key-BYU-recruit-Charles-West-arrested-for-aggravated-assault-police-say.html

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Crotch Bat posted:

Louisville is replacing a ton, especially on O. I'd be shocked if they did much offensively next year, least of all week 1 against a good Auburn squad.

They'll still beat Houston by about 50 in Week 2.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Thoguh posted:

Views: We're gonna lose to an FCS school again this year.

At least Iowa State's not afraid to line up against the big boys of the MVC.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

As someone who grew up an Arizona fan and attended UH, I have a special hatred of ASU fans throwing the cougar paw/the shocker.
Not to mention the legion of idiot ASU fans who think UH stole the cougar paw from them.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

It's a "major" violation but I doubt it will have major effects.

Hey now, /r/cfb might have a field day with Florida jokes for a few hours.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Real Name Grover posted:

News: Maryland DC Brian Stewart resigns

News: Brian Stewart hired as Nebraska DB coach

Views: We have a former Cowboys DC on staff? OK then.

Hope he's learned having a secondary is something of value.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Real Name Grover posted:

He was UH's DC in 2010-11. Come to think of it, my mind had never even considered that Houston even had a D.

They didn't back when Stewart was the DC. UH has actually had a passable defense the last couple of years under David Gibbs (now at Texas Tech) and last year the offense was non-existent...which was a reason Tony Levine got fired.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Sash! posted:

Everyone I've ever met that was from New Mexico was a total weirdo, so I just assume New Mexico is full of weirdos trying to ward off UFO attacks with energy crystals.

They're not energy crystals, they're hatch chiles. And don't ask a New Mexican about it because they won't shut the hell up about hatch chiles.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Just sit em for a half during week 2, that'll cover it.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also, I like the Baylor blog's take on this: Clearly what Nacita should have done is sell enough autographs to pay rent, then he'd only lose half a game after a few months of painstaking deliberations.

Nacita's not a star player getting ESPN time so they'd throw down the hammer and then bust Baylor for a major violation.

If the NCAA is going to be prick about this here's hoping Baylor at least kicks in an academic scholarship.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

On the other hand, Baylor's AD has already dropped him like a hot potato.

quote:

"Silas Nacita will not be a part of the football program moving forward due to rules violations that impact his eligibility," Baylor athletic director Ian McCaw said in a statement released by the school. "We appreciate his contributions to Baylor football and wish him well as he completes his studies."

So obviously there's some confusion and possibly some spin doctoring on the part of the NCAA. Must be the offseason.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 25, 2015

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Actually, I think I buy the NCAA's side of the story. I'm thinking someone high up at Baylor (admin, boosters, legislative team, etc) got wind of this kid's situation. Seeing as how Boise State got nailed with a major violation for something kind of similar last year, the athletic department panicked and disposed of Nacita (a walk-on and therefore disposable) to keep the NCAA from even having to pick up the phone.

I hope that's not the case because if it is Baylor would deserve all the embarrassing PR and backpedaling coming to them.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

John Chavis and LSU have sued each other regarding whether Chavis was obliged to a $400k buyout when he left LSU.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

The NCAA decided it didn't like schools scamming the system like that, so they changed the rules on it so that if a recruit signed an FAA and the school took advantage of the extra contact but then the kid went elsewhere, they were in violation. That took care of the deliberate scamming, but then screwed schools who were innocent victims of a kid honestly changing his mind or deliberately signing multiple FAAs without telling the other schools.

Houston got busted for a recruiting violation after SMU flipped Ben Hicks, who had signed a FAA at UH. Took SMU about 15 minutes to get someone on the phone to the NCAA. UH hasn't had a major recruiting violation in 30 years so that really sucked.

Makes me wonder if there's a market in getting early and non-public verbals, getting those silent verbals to sign a FAA at a rival, and then basically have all your silent verbals flip "back" to you close to signing day as you run to the telephone to call the NCAA.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 28, 2015

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

I'm finding 0 information anywhere that Houston was sanctioned for Ben Hicks. In fact, I've found the opposite, where the NCAA acknowledged in a letter that there was no violation committed retroactively for publicizing and taking advantage of the unlimited contact rules: https://www.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1725534

Nice.

All the same, an early signing period would be a better all-around solution.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Apparently Real rear end Spurrier is on Twitter now

https://twitter.com/SC_HBC

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

It's been talked about for weeks, no idea why it took this long to happen. Rhoades was hit and miss on his coaching hires but he's a great fundraiser. Expect Mizzou to start building big new facilities in coming years.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

the chief v2 posted:

Good to see that OUS presdient takes a similar stance to football players. Racism is obviously not ok but it's not worse than hitting a girl in the face and breaking her jaw
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/oklahoma-stands-tall-against-racism-weak-against-violence-031015

But does hitting girls in the face become a national story that affects recruiting?

Never mind that both of course should

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Kent State may be taking the first steps down the dropping football road. They hired some consultant firm to tell them they have old facilities, don't really have the money to do anything about them, and that they can't afford to follow the P5 cost of attendance program.

http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/kent-state-university-not-looking-to-cut-sports-programs-1.573698

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

seiferguy posted:

Cyler Miles was pretty bad, man
I always read that guy's name as Miley Cyrus and it sounds like she plays football about as well

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Nope, everybody just decided Bert is a stupid crybaby turd.

Who's still being a crybaby turd, although not as much of a turd as the media people who drug him out of Chicken Express during the whole Chris Borland retirement mania

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...ies-concussions

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Sash! posted:

How is an Ivy just starting a team? Doesn't make sense.

Coach actually takes place in the far future where football died off and is being restarted as a niche sport. This Ivy League school is just starting up their team after a 300 year hiatus.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Archie Manning has stepped down from the CFP committee. He'll be replaced by former Vandy head coach Bobby Johnson. I admit I had to Google him.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

go3 posted:

i think of The Stand as happening in the Coach universe

m-o-o-n that spells run play!

UNLV and Colorado lookin real strong this year

(And Captain Trips is probably about the only way that sentence will ever be uttered.)

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 28, 2015

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Crotch Bat posted:

If your football team was a currency what would it be.

Codeine bottles

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I always thought the Black Knights name was dumb anyway; it confuses them with UCF and they've only beaten Navy once since switching names.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Hey, football news. Houston and Rice have renewed the Bayou Bucket rivalry. The series restarts in 2017 at UH and 2018 at Rice, and should continue until those nerds at Rice finally drop football to begin the first NCAA League of Legends program.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Alouicious posted:

choo choo all aboard the 1-11 train

Notice how 1-11 looks like a train going down some railroad tracks

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

So, Army is apparently not changing their name back to the Cadets. Instead they will now be known as the Army West Point Black Knights, the term "soldier-scholar" has been invented, and their logo is this rather Hunger Games-looking thing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Scarf posted:

At Army, the old cliché, "Shoot yourself in the foot has now been replaced with "impale yourself in the head."

It's a reference to the logo of the whole Academy...

...and in that context it works, and I like this logo and wish more college team branding would follow their academic counterparts. But then, as The Big Jesus there said, your average sports fan is going to react one of two ways -

1. LOL, ripped off Michigan State
2. LOL, that sword's going through that Army dude's head

Not to mention anything that could be referenced as an Army suicide is going to get people upset.

• Locked thread