Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

go3 posted:

The REAL champion has a belt

Funny you say this:
http://collegefootballbelt.com/Seasons.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Screw this "champion" thing, top 8 teams, no matter the affiliation. Everyone else goes to their conference's contracted bowls. Top 7 bowl games each get to host a game in the playoff. gently caress the G5.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Strawberry Panda posted:

So what the hell do we talk about until August?

Now - Feb 5th: Recruiting
Feb 5th - March: ???
March - May: Spring Practice
May - June: ???
June - July: Player arrival & Summer practices
Late July - August: Media days + Fall camp
September: 2015 season

The ??? is a choose your own adventure filled with BBQ, jorts, and other terrible conversations.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Detroit_Dogg posted:

EAT AT CHICK-FIL-A, JUST LIKE THE NORTHWESTERN WILDCATS

in other news Chick-Fil-A is rapidly going out of business

relevant:

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

This game was Paul Johnson vs Jim Tressel.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pakled posted:

2015 ACC schedules have been released.

http://raycomsports.com/sports_labs_docs/m-footbl/2015_m-footbl_schedule-teams.pdf

GT:
code:
Sep. 3  ALCORN STATE (Thurs.)
Sep. 12 TULANE
Sep. 19 at Notre Dame
Sep. 26 at Duke
Oct. 3  NORTH CAROLINA
Oct. 10 at Clemson
Oct. 17 PITT
Oct. 24 FLORIDA STATE
Oct. 31 at Virginia
Nov. 7  OPEN
Nov. 12 VIRGINIA TECH (Thurs.)
Nov. 21 at Miami
Nov. 28 GEORGIA
Two thursday games and one of them being against an FCS team kinda sucks. First time in a while we've had a serious game the week before UGA, too.

Kinda get a pass for being the first game of the season on that first Thursday game. Are classes in session by then?

e: Also, ouch. VT and Wake have 3 games where their opponent has a bye week before they play them. At least in VT's case, they get a bye week before one of those opponents. The Atlantic division all get bye weeks before they play Notre Dame.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 29, 2015

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

VDay posted:

Those two are the same person in my mind so I probably wouldn't have even noticed.

This is what I was thinking. On any given day, I wouldn't be able to name which one is on which program

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Josh Lyman posted:

Did Fowler get fired from the role or is he stepping down for something else?

He's their #1 play-by-play guy and doing that + gameday was getting to be too much.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thermos H Christ posted:

I feel like this class of entering freshmen isn't quite bringing the names the way last year's did. Or maybe it's just that a bunch of good ones went to major schools so they've been floating long enough to lose their impact. Some of my faves:

Bry'Kiethon Mouton (LSU)
Stone Wolfley (WVU)
Ray-Ray McCloud III (Clemson)
Devonaire Clarington (Texas)
Bill Murray (William & Mary)
Michael Tarbutt (UConn)
D'Anfernee McGriff (Florida)
Equanimeous St. Brown (Notre Dame)
SoSo Jamabo (UCLA)
Quarvez Boulware (Maryland)
Lyrics Klugh (Towson)

and the winner:

Q'Drennan (New Mexico). That is the whole name. Q'Drennan.

It was the year of the repeating first name:

SoSo Jamabo
KeKe Coutee
JoJo Wicker
CeeCee Jefferson

and so on.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

pillsburysoldier posted:

Combine invitations out

http://proplayerinsiders.com/nfl-player-team-news-features/2015-nfl-scouting-combine-invite-list/

ESPN wasn't kidding about fsu Louisville having the most prospects on the field. drat. Miami and Florida have a good showing

Oklahoma State and Texas Tech are the only 2 Big XII schools without a player receiving an invite.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Charlz Guybon posted:

What the hell? Is one of his parents an Egyptologist or Pharonic priest?

His father was a world-class body builder. His mother is German. All 3 kids are fluent in French and German as well.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

LeeMajors posted:

Ehh...the ads themselves aren't annoying when done with something resembling restraint.

Having a ridiculously huge video board just to do this...

...is just....too much to bear.

:ughh:

Tech's done a pretty neat thing with theirs. They have physical ads on the frame while the board itself is dedicated to video. It works out pretty well.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Music news from TFF's official performer:

Happy Shakey Graves Day!

Shakey Graves released a new EP and has made all of his music pay what you want for today only. You can pick up any of his albums on bandcamp, and I highly recommend you do so. This is the only artist that I've found where I will listen to his live performances and EPs just as much as his studio albums.

https://shakeygraves.bandcamp.com

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

This is not Katy Perry I'm not sure what you are posting about.

Katy Perry is only the official performer for chaos. TFF's NCAA side has a much more refined taste.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
In actual football news, TTU AD Kirby Hocutt will replace Oliver Luck on the playoff committee:

http://www.texastech.com/genrel/020915aab.html

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thoguh posted:

His live performances are way better than his studio albums. I'd even say his first studio album was terrible, though the same songs live were great.

I like his first studio album. It isn't near as good as his follow up, but that's mostly because it's just a collection of songs thrown together with no real flow and low production values. It's a long EP.

I like the new EP too. It would be an LP on its own if he had 2 more songs and a bit more production work on it.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spacebump posted:

Guess the Big 12 really doesn't count on WVU to help for playoff picks.

Oliver Luck is heading for the NCAA office. There's the thought that he's being groomed to be the next commissioner

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Elotana posted:

http://tamu.247sports.com/Season/2013-Football/Commits

This is A&Ms commit list from two years ago, when we took 33 guys and Sumlin was first hailed as a recruiting mastermind.

13 of these guys are already off the team. Five transfers, four dismissals, three medical retirements, and Cam Clear went pro.

Tech's 2013 (RS So & Jr) recruiting class has gone from 23 to 16. It happens. TTU's 2012 class (RS Jr & Sr), Tuberville's last, has gone from 27 to 9. That matches TTU's 2011 class (RS Sr) who still has 9.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Did they get any of the kids he stranded at the restaurant to take the UC job?

Devonte Danzey, who is the recruit most often quoted about Tubs leaving them in the lurch went to Auburn. Sunny Odogwu wound up at Miami. Javess Blue went to Kentucky.

Danzey started for Auburn in 2014. Odogwu will be a RS So this coming season. Dunno if he's getting playing time. Blue was Kentucky's 2nd receiver in 2014.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
All this logo talk has me jealous. TTU's had the same primary logo since the double-t was sewn onto the jersey of the 2nd year of TTU's football team in 1926.

This is the only logo I can find from our early days as the matadors:

Note: this was apparently only the 2nd or 3rd time that a band had traveled with a team, with the Penn band having done so before the turn of the century.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Crotch Bat posted:

VT's new indoor practice facility. Hadn't seen it yet, had no idea it was this enormous. Supposed to finish in June and will be one of the best in the country. Tons of natural sunlight.

How much is it running VT?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Crotch Bat posted:

21 million.

That's not bad. Fairly similar to TTU's future facility, which is tied up with an indoor track for $48 million or so.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Crotch Bat posted:

They used to practice in another facility that had an indoor track and was used by all other sports and whatnot. Now they're separating entirely and Rector(the old place) will be given new locker rooms and spruced up as it is handed over to other programs.

Yeah, Tech's got the same deal, theoretically but they don't use the bubble for football ever. The new stuff is 2 buildings side by side at the location of the old bubble.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Look Sir Droids posted:

Ugh. That's not that bad. Wasn't it well over 4 hrs on average a few years ago? If college football is going to fill my entire Saturday, as God intended, I'm fine with the little bit of filler in there.

Biggest thing is back-to-back-to-back TV timeouts. That is a real drag in the stadiums. Fox is the worst.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
true story, Texas Tech was very nearly named Texas State back in the 60's. Texas Tech was also very nearly made into Texas A&M Lubbock back in the 60's. Fuckin Aggies.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Chieves posted:

Unfortunately Texas A&M, despite being weird as all hell, has a really good engineering program. v:shobon:v

Yup, could be arguably the best in the state. Though the state of Texas is not hurting for good engineering schools. It's pretty much the best college that TTU's got as well.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thoguh posted:

News: Mississippi State's AD responded to the freshmen ineligibility proposal by saying instead athletes should just get five years to play five

Views: That might not be the worst idea. Five years is increasingly the standard amount of time to complete a degree anyway. And as often times as not burned redshirts are a net negative for guys who aren't stars (I know I hate it when coaches burn a redshirt so a guy can play special teams and a handful of snaps in garbage time and you take away their fifth year when they'd actually be contributors). I wouldn't say I am totally behind the idea. But I don't hate it.

5 for 5, and when you transfer, you must sit, but automatically get an additional year of eligibility. I wouldn't mind that. No more grad school transfers, though. All transfers must sit, but gain a year of eligibility.

e: He also suggested 2 levels of HS eligibility that rewards high qualifiers with immediate eligibility & no redshirt and low-qualifiers with automatic redshirt. I like that even better.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 19, 2015

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

RumbleFish posted:

That's how college baseball operates and it seems fair enough. I think hockey has a similar policy, but I'm not aware of all the details.

Baseball and Hockey have significant minor league systems, though, and are willing to absorb players that need time to develop. The NBA just recently added the D-League. I could see them adding this capability and just sending players off to the international leagues, but it'd take some significant changes to the way that league operates.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

KKKLIP ART posted:

So, not that this is the NFL combine thread, but sometimes you really don't know how good your upperclassmen were till they get there to demonstrate. Chris Conley, graduating UGA WR, ran a 4.35 40, vertical of 45 inches (record was 46), and a board jump of 11'7" which ties the combine record. I saw those results and went :stare: and then was instantly sad that he won't be playing for us next year.

That wasn't even the fastest WR either.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Just thought this sorta odd: TTU's SBNation site, Viva the Matadors, was hit with a mass defection of writers. All of them, in fact. Decided to go launch a new blog off of the SBNation platform.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Numlock posted:

I read that blog often, seemed like the best place to get Tech news and such. I suppose they can quickly replace those guys with somebody else but I suspect that site won't be nearly as useful as it was before.

Well you should head over to their new site. Seems it will be about the same without all of the SBNation noise that goes on.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spiritus Nox posted:

A bagman for a 4th-string, walk-on RB? And if Baylor pulled some shady poo poo to get him there, why draw attention to him by dumping him like this?

Baylor's not had bagmen for football in almost 3 decades. You should give them a break for being a bit out of practice.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean, Nacita's been a fan favorite and he's good for a walk-on, but RB's been one of Baylor's stronger positions for a while now. I'm not so naive as to rule out the possibility that Baylor's cheating, but it doesn't make any sense for them to set out to cheat to get Nacita. I'd sooner believe there was under the table poo poo over Seastrunk or Stidham.

The Stidham poo poo was very much over the table.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Yeah, still doesn't pass the smell test. I mean, even saying he was a previous acquaintance indicates that there was a prior relationship there.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

wootmachine posted:

Are these people actually breaking into the stadium to do this, or is it just open?

Oh, and on a not-at-all-related note, I'm going to be in Austin for a week in March. Where do I need to be eating?

SXSW week(s) or not?

If not, eat Franklin on Wednesday (generally the shortest line, get there by 10ish). You can do La BBQ on the other days, or Micklethwaite's if you don't want any line. If you have to BBQ in the evening, Stiles Switch is usually very good.

Torchy's Tacos is a must. You can Torchy's during SXSW. Taco Deli is a 2nd choice, so if you do tacos twice, do Taco Deli the 2nd time.

Chi'lantro BBQ is the best food trailer, but they also have a brick and mortar now.

Get a chicken fried steak somewhere. I think the one at Shady Grove is consistently good, but there are other good ones like at Hyde Park Grill. Apparently the one at Jack Allen's Kitchen (which is all the way down in Oak Hill), is phenomenal.

Some other well thought of food trucks: Peached Tortilla, East Side King, Kabobalicious, The Mighty Cone.

La Cocina de Consuelo is probably the most authentic tex-mex type place in town. Delicious. You could also go upscale Mexican. There are a bunch for that, but Fonda San Miguel always tops those lists.

I don't know how you feel about sushi and if you can get any good sushi where you're at, but if you like it and you can't get good stuff at home, Austin's got a few very good sushi restaurants. Uchi and Uchiko are the priciest, fine dining type places. Tomodachi in North Austin is nearly the same quality as Uchi, but a little bit less expensive. Hanabi is probably my favorite price::value place.

For upscale, chef-centered restaurants, my favorite is Foreign and Domestic. Plates there are around $25 (prices have gone up significantly since I was there last), but they served me probably the best steak I have ever had. Everything else is delicious too. Barley Swine and Odd Duck are other similar restaurants.

For sandwiches you have some new choices on Burnet in Noble Pig and Republic of Sandwich. I've not had the opportunity to go to either yet. My favorite deli (and 3rd favorite pizza) is at Little Deli in Crestview.

Favorite Pizza is Home Slice. I also hold a soft spot for Rounders Pizzeria, though I'm not quite sure why.

Finally, if you're going to drink outside of downtown, go to the Draughthouse Pub which has an excellent beer selection and a food trailer nightly. Drink a Live Oak Hefeweisen, especially if you're a fan of wheat beers. You can get Live Oak at a lot of restaurants around here, too. There are a whole lot of breweries offering tours. Austin Beerworks (good IPA, pils), Circle (decent hef from a tap, solid selection), Adelberts (belgian style beers), Live Oak (top US Hefeweisen, solid other lineup), Jester King (sour beers), Rogness, and so on.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Neil Armbong posted:

- There are also Black's BBQ joints in town now. Really good food.

I haven't had a chance to try Terry Black's. They had a terrible launch, but I've heard that they've been improving since. The Black's BBQ on the drag is just shipped in from Lockhart and reheated in the oven. No reason to go there, ever.

There are many other good BBQ places: Brown's, Slab, Freedman's, John Mueller's (which I didn't mention originally because I'm not comfortable sending people there. He's got a consistency issue), Kerlin (which only does bbq on Friday), Blue Ox.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thermos H Christ posted:

Is it really such a terrible thing that the meat is driven over from the actual famous establishment, which is located about 45 minutes away? That seems more promising than to me than if they just opened a totally new place with the same name.

I am going to become rich when I open a BBQ joint that just buys from Smitty's at a bulk rate and sells it hot in Austin.

Yes, it's terrible. We have more than enough excellent BBQ places in town, there's no need to buy reheated BBQ from Lockhart.

If they want to capitalize on the name, get a good pit man, train him at the original, move him to Austin and sling BBQ that can match the "fame" that you've generated by being the 3rd best BBQ place in Lockhart.

Until then, Austin will continue to be dominated by BBQ from the Mueller tree.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thermos H Christ posted:

Perhaps so. I'm still getting caught up. I just moved back and my primary BBQ bro has been veganized by a girl. I want Smitty's.

Hit up La BBQ, Micklethwaite's, John Mueller's, Blue Ox, Brown's, Freedman's, and Stiles Switch and then decide if you still want Smitty's. BBQ scene has exploded in the last 2 years.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Korranus posted:

Houston got busted for a recruiting violation after SMU flipped Ben Hicks, who had signed a FAA at UH. Took SMU about 15 minutes to get someone on the phone to the NCAA. UH hasn't had a major recruiting violation in 30 years so that really sucked.

Makes me wonder if there's a market in getting early and non-public verbals, getting those silent verbals to sign a FAA at a rival, and then basically have all your silent verbals flip "back" to you close to signing day as you run to the telephone to call the NCAA.

I'm finding 0 information anywhere that Houston was sanctioned for Ben Hicks. In fact, I've found the opposite, where the NCAA acknowledged in a letter that there was no violation committed retroactively for publicizing and taking advantage of the unlimited contact rules: https://www.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1725534

LSU's violation was handed down by the SEC and has nothing to do with the NCAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

aaaaand done.

• Locked thread