Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm watching Phealos, Brad and Lupa's review of foodfight. I keep losing it when ever Lupa gets mad at the food puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

NOw I kind of want to watch Ishtar.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

KayTee posted:

Aaaaaaaawwwww crap.

now there's like 15 more films on my 'poo poo I want to see' list.

(I went to the cinema like, 5 times last year. And two of those was Guardians of the Galaxy)

Yeah, the only thing I saw this year that didn't get a WIDE release was Nightcrawler. I gotta make more of an effort to get to the Bow-Tie theatre more often.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

2. So the whole thing with the "sea monster" victim staying at Mitch's house was all some convoluted thing where he asked her to stay to keep her from talking to that nosy reporter. Mitch wakes up in the middle of the night to her crying, and tries to comfort her next to the fireplace. He mentions when Hobie has trouble sleeping he rubs his back (???) and she asks him to rub her back. He does, and things turn sexy. Then he breaks it off and says it's gotta end there. 'Cause he's a nice guy. A nice, creepy guy.

I don't wanna be "That Guy" And tell you how to do your job, but this should have been in there.

Edit: It's amazing how thin the line between romantic and creepy is though.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 18, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Do you guys think the Matrix was one of the first franchises hosed over by the studio trying to milk it completely? It had two squeals, The Animatrix, a MMO plus a video game that had exclusive live action cutscenes which filled in gaps between the squeals.

What's your guys opinion of Keanu Reeves as an action star in general? He's not a BIG star any more but he still gets work, plus John Wick was REALLY good. And gently caress it, I love Constantine. I thought he did a good job in it.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Let me tell you about a little thing called the Star Wars Holiday Special. After, I'll give you milk and cookies and show you the empty box millions of kids got for Christmas.

But the diffrence is that Star Wars still has this die hard fan base after all these years and new media is still being made for it. What was the last thing made for The Matrix?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

ZDT showed torture as unpleasant but useful and arguably vital to taking down Osama. Given the evil, incompetent fucks that the real Maya, Alfreda Bikowsky, and her team were revealed to be (and the not-insignificant amount of evidence that ZDT was their attempt to put a positive spin on their actions before poo poo hit the fan), it's legit to criticise the movie for how it handled it.

Yeah, it's poo poo like this why I kind of stay away from these kind of movies. Or at the very least wait for a home release. Hell, even when I saw Inglorious Bastards in theaters there were some guys in from going "HOORA" during the end. (Which to me was on of the most disturbing scenes I ever saw in a movie :stare:) ZDT I saw in theaters and that was kind of a slog. With the exception of the raid it felt like a movie going from point A to point B with no...I wanna say soul to it but that sounds too hipsterish.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

High Warlord Zog posted:

I'm surprised that no one's produced a Gamergate as Fight Club or Ron Weasley, Gamergater skit yet.

Folding Ideas basically did this. It's a good video: http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/s4e8-fight-club/

Rebochan posted:

Just caught up to Half in the Bag and I... will go against the grain and still find endless jokes about Boyhood funny. But less because of the film itself and more because I kind of expected this when I saw it got all those Oscar nods and wanted to see them have another shot at it (I assume there will be one more round when it wins/doesn't win Oscars).

Yeah, Best of The Worst is the better show now. But I totally get being burned and burned out and cynical on mainstream anything (After last night WWE just isn't for me anymore, I have to start watching other companies.) I think it was someone in a thread in the movie board that said Major film making is now down to a mathematical science on what works and what doesn't, leading to everything being the same.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 27, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

dijon du jour posted:

Not to start a huge derail but what the hell happened with WWE the other night? I keep hearing people refer to it in grave tones on Twitter and elsewhere but I can't figure out what exactly happened. :confused:

Last Sunday was probably the worst Royal Rumble Match the WWE ever did, and usually the Rumble is fun as hell even if the winner sucks. It was just this huge heap of bullshit where nobody looked good (Which, with the exception of a few wrestlers, has been a problem FOR YEARS in the WWE), not even the guy who won it: Roman Reigns. Him winning is whole other can of worms because he has been in the WWE for about three years and is still green as hell.

Edit: The WWE also has this issue the past few years when a big show or match is all set and coming up, they will just go into cruise control and do whatever instead of actually put effort into getting the crowd to care about the match. That happened last night I feel. It's clear that Roman is THE NEXT BIG GUY int he WWE but the WWE are doing very little actually make me care about it.

Edit: I guess the best way to say it is that for the past few years the people running the WWE are just doing what ever they want with no regard to what their crowds actually want. And when challenged as to why crowds throw poo poo back in their faces their response is basically "It's just the internet smark crowd who will not be happy no matter what we do" With the subtext to that being they don't matter.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 27, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Rebochan posted:

Huh, 160 new posts since last time I checked? Man, I wonder what...

:smithicide:

Uhhh...So...Cracked is a site? They posted a few good videos I think.

Cracked Talks about the Super Bowl

Michael Swaim looks at some PSAs

And a look at why advertising doesn't work anymore

I'm sorry if these don't count as reviews but...just anything to get away from THAT

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Jay O posted:

[b]Planes: Fire and Rescue

Part of me kind of wants to see this because I have the first one (It was a gift). If you love baffling bad movies then you need to see Planes. Even though it's a racing movie it has this weird fixation on the military including A Vietnam flashback played completely straight I think it's a great example of the worst that can happen when a movie is seen as a product just to move toys and poo poo and no one thinks about what is actually IN the movie.

Also, That sucks about RT. I haven't followed them since The Strangerhood but my condolences :(

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

Thanks! The second ep is up on Patreon and I think it's edited a bit tighter. Since I did the review with Phelan there's a bit more energy too, so hopefully the vids smooth out as they go.

Yeah, your first episode was good. It's gonna take time to get use to the non-scripted format though. Also maybe try and screen test some of the accessories you wear? Because of the glare off it, I didn't realize the pin on your dress was suppose to be a ninja until halfway through the video.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Wrageowrapper posted:

New Half in the Bag looks at Jupiter Ascending and Battlefield Earth because why not.
http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-jupiter-ascending-and-battlefield-earth/
For lovers of fart jokes.

Despite everyone saying Jupiter Ascending sucked, I still want to see it. The Wachowskis are almost the only people making big sci-fi, space operas these days (Besides Guardians of the Galaxy)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's probably brilliant and people just aren't getting it.

Or it sucks. But I'm gonna lean on the former til I see it myself.

It's also that I feel like The Wachowskis are artists that need more support even though their only "Good" movies are the first Matrix and Speed Racer(It's everything I wanted from a live action adaptation of a 70's poorly dubbed anime :colbert:). Even if they do suck, they are the only ones making these kinds of big films.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 14, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Alacron posted:

People really wanted an "edgy" Speed Racer?

Just... :wtc:

Wouldn't a edgy Speed Racer just be Death Race?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Annointed posted:

Okay, from what I've seen of TotalBiscuit he seems to be quite insane. Can someone explain in detail exactly how messed up this guy is? All I have is the link when he registered to SA, the time where he told a fan to get cancer and die and somehow thinking that death threats are okay as long as no one acts on it.

The guy was diagnosed with colon cancer. He decided to go to the doctor after he was bleeding from his rear end for about a year. (Or so I heard)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I'm watching SF Debries LP of System Shock 2. I don't watch him as often as I should and I forgot how funny he can be.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

It seems like the way you're supposed to beat shadow link is to try and advance on him during a duel. The way I usually do it always felt a little too gamey (jump downthrust/swipe repeat) and not in the spirit of what the designers wanted.

Shadow Link in pratice always seemed like the easiest boss to cheap out. In OOT all you have to do is spam Din's Fire or the Megaton Hammer.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Rebochan posted:

Three two three four, four two three AND!

Can I just say that I love the Ishtar trailer has become are "Seriously, end this derail" button, and for the most part everyone agrees?

Also Linkara's past two weeks has been good. Never heard about ROM before.

quakster posted:

Move GBS into the internet critic discussion thread, in my opinion.
Isn't GBS now a 4-chan board? I haven't looked recently.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 24, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

The newest Baywatching is up! Vanessa Angel is stalked by a serial killer called "The Fisherman."

http://phelous.com/2015/02/28/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-the-one-that-got-away/

Hey Lupa, quick question. The actor that played Bumstock in that Big Foot movie you and Pheilos reviewed. Wasn't that the guy who runs Troma films?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I think the bigger problem with Bioshock Infinite is that the fight between the Vox VS the Founders is a bigger part of the story than it should be. The true core to Infinite's story was Comstock and Dewit.

Spoilered for your protection.

I think what the game wanted to focus more on was how Comstock/Dewit's rage and violent behavior effects the world around him. To Dewit, peaceful decisions are not an option. For example, take the raffle at the start of the game. Your choices are to either throw the baseball at the interracial couple or at the guy running the raffle. You don't get the option to just put the ball back or even pretend to miss. His answer to every problem is to leave a corpse. When Dewit becomes Comstock in another timeline, He becomes a man of god but his behavior doesn't change. Even though he becomes a holy man, doesn't drink or gamble, his answer for everything is still to rack up a body count and that it's god's will that his enemies die. And everyone that followed him learned that violent streak as well.

I think at the end of the day Ken Levine had little interest in actually crafting a story that looked at everything wrong with Americana and instead wanted to tell a story of two violent men and how their actions shape the world around them. They just picked the setting of Columbia because they thought it looked cool and for whatever reason, the fight between The Vox and the founders took center stage. Didn't someone say their were major rewrites to the story late in development?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 4, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Maybe more in the sense that the people who claim to be the good guys don't necessarily know what they are doing.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

The skull needs its own show or something.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

The third one is great/awful for having a Fidel Castro lookalike in it who is also played by the guy who plays Bru, making it also racist.

Just saw this episode today, Great job you two. Only complaint is that you two didn't say "Brother!" enough.

Not to sound too geeky but were you and Phelous wrestling fans back in the day?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

So you go to someone's social media, waste time for hours, find nothing of importance, and apologize to everyone afterward?

Thanks! Phelan definitely was big into wrestling back in the day, but not me. I fully admit most of my wrestling knowledge comes from the OSW Podcast, which is hilarious. I love learning about wrestling history and story lines, but the actual wrestling not so much.

Also throw in my vote for the Amityville 4: The Lamp Escapes review, it's one of my favorites of Phelan's. I also love his Croc series reviews.

If you wanna learn more about wrestling History, pick up "The Death of WCW" by Bryan Alvarez and RD Reynolds. You will learn how not to run a wrestling company and how big of an rear end in a top hat Hulk Hogan was.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I always had a fondness for Future War. I can't explain why. Also Manos. The Answer for the best film is always Manos. I always loved the eastern European fairy tails they watched too, especially The Magic Voyage of Sinbad. I think thats a legit good movie and I want a non riffed version of it.

I guess my view of MST3K will always be diffrent because I didn't know who they were until college and was watching through Youtube rips and DVDs.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 19, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Gianthogweed posted:

Just discovered this. Apparently they were sued for Godzilla vs. Megalon (one of my favorite episodes) so they couldn't use it for their new box set, so they filmed this instead.

https://youtu.be/0nPDIScaHJ4

Some scenes from Godzilla vs. Megalon

https://youtu.be/7cxV8Bf8ND4

https://youtu.be/j5OY1drc8_U

Yeah, that wen't down when the set was already on the shelves from what I heard. So a few of those sets with the Godzilla films do exist.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

I didn't know about MST3K til it was in its last run on Sci Fi, so most of my early MST3K experiences were from Napster downloads. LOL

Also "Remember to believe in magic...or I'll kill you!"

Yep, that's where I got that line from. Merlin's Mystical shop of Wonders. That film is pure, uncut "What the gently caress Hollywood?"

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

There IS, however, a lot of MST3K on Shout Factory's streaming site: http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/

Oh god dammit, you might as well of handed me a crack pipe!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Jsor posted:

Oh hey, I haven't checked in a while, what's going on with Spoon...

oh, another month of wrestling.

E: Gonna be honest, I have no idea, his wrestling videos could be the most tightly edited, polished, funny, insightful reviews known to man. But I have negative interest in wrestling so I ain't watchin em.

I wanna strap him into a chair and force him to watch New Japan Pro and Ring of Honor. Maybe some Pro Wrestling Guerrilla. Then maybe he will realize, like I did, that you don't need the WWE anymore to watch great wrestling.

I think once you know the greatness of The Young Bucks and The Bullet Club, you will neve rlook at Pro Wrestling the same way again.

https://vine.co/u/1173211691929001984

https://vine.co/u/913565340267593728

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 21, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Rough summary for those of us not in the know?

The Main Event this year is going to be Roman Reigns VS Brock Lesnar for the WWE Title. Roman is considered the heir apparent to be the new top guy in the WWE since John Cena is starting to look at retirement. He is someone who can be that guy and has every advantage, including being related to The Rock. The problem is that he has only been wrestling for 3-4 years and it shows. He's not terrible but not someone who can pull out the kind of match the main event at Wrestlemania needs to be. THe WWE has also failed to make him look like the powerhouse he needs to be.

For example, the ending to the Royal Rumble was Roman VS Big Show and Kane, two guys that have been in the WWE since the mid to late 90s. Instead of Having Roman just steamroll two of the monster heels in the WWE, Big Show and Kane are eliminated while they argue with each other. It's one of those WWE endings to a match where we need everyone to still look good at the end but the execution makes it so no one looks good, which has been a problem FOR YEARS!

On top of that, the WWE has this completely stacked roster, maybe their best since Hogan's days or the Attitude Era and it feels like they don't know what to do with anyone and their all just kind of there to put over the guys WWE wants to be their stars.

My own personal feelings, At the Royal Rumble when Daniel Bryan was eliminated (He looked like he slipped off the ring apron and landed on his feet) The WWE sent a loud and clear message "If you are the kind of fan who likes Daniel Bryan or anyone like him, you don't matter to us" So I stopped watching. Only reason I still have my WWE Network subscription is NXT.

Full disclosure though, I haven't watched WWE since The Royal Rumble so maybe they made Roman to look good.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Not to keep the wrestling themed derail going (It's this or Gamergate :v:) but i've been thinking a lot about wrestling and how it operates as a narrative. Like, how Luke Skywalker's hero's journey compares to Steve Austin's, stuff like that.

From Summerslam 2013 onwards the WWE, and i guess we could call it's author Vince McMahon, stumbled rear end first into it's greatest story in years: The Rise of Daniel Bryan. Now Bryan taking on the Authority was meant nothing more than a place holder, filler till either John Cena came back or Vince thought of something better. Daniel Bryan was never meant to be champion or be the top guy in the company. But in those six or so months he created the biggest star, the greatest hero, since Cena. Then the fans revolted because it became clear Vince was never going to give the fans the ending they wanted: Bryan as champion and The Authority defeated. Vince did finally give that ending at Wrestlemania 30, changing what ever his original plans were.

Now for Wrestlemania 31, he is putting on Roman Reigns VS Brock Lesner. He is facing a huge fan backlash again but this time he is sticking to his guns.

I guess I am wondering to what extent does an author owe his audience the ending they want, even if it's to a story they don't want to tell? If the fans want Daniel Bryan as Champion, does he have an obligation to give that to him?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

:stare:

I really don't know what to say, and let's leave it at that. Wrestling! I always thought it was something dumb for my little brother, but I guess people care about it. Spoony's videos are a bit intimidating, is there any guide or history to a newcomer?

E. watching the Landis video

If you REALLY wanna dig into Wrestling beyond the WWE, your first stop should be Ring Of Honor. http://www.rohwrestling.com/ They have a weekly TV show that has national syndication. If it's not on where you live you can watch it thursday on the website. They also have PPVs every now and then.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Gyges posted:

At least he's getting anime requests that aren't some sort of dark punishment.

I REALLY wanna request Evangelion. It's a classic, and yet the lesbian moon princesses are kinder to it's viewers than that show. :getin:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Tracula posted:

Despite having watched NGE all the way through twice and hating it and End of Evangelion as well I can't help but recommend it to people. I get the vibe that the show was supposed to piss me off and that I wasn't actually supposed to enjoy it, especially the end of the series.

Do you mind if I ask why you don't like the show? Just curious.

If it's because Shinji is a whiny baby who does nothing, well it's because of that why he is one of my favorite... I won't say hero cause what's a hero. Shinji Asuka and Rei all suffer from depression and try and deal with it in different ways. (And fail) Shinji ultimately is a huge mess because he hates himself and has no sense of who he is as a person. I always interpreted the final two episodes as Shinji realizing that if he ever wants a healthy relationship with anyone he has to learn to love himself first. Plus It's never to late to change. Even in the face of the apocalypse.

I always found comfort in that :)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Eva kind of have a pulp fiction effect on anime? After it came out you started to see drivitives to it, in Eva's case it was shoes that were trying to deep and philosophical. Ergo Proxy and Elfin Laid stick out as the worst examples of that.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

New Feminist Frequency. HIT THE DECK!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

They all seem pretty old to me!

I'll be very glad once we hit the point where Elfen Lied is old enough that basically no one remembers it.

I'll never forget that show. That poo poo is burned into my head.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

PresidentBeard posted:

Multiple anime clubs insisting that Elfen Lied was good is what cemented by belief that all anime is bad.

I think it's that most high schoolers and college kids think stuff that's hosed up, violent and bloody is deep yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

PresidentBeard posted:

A guy desperately wants to gently caress a mentally handicapped girl with pink hair who pisses herself. He is prevented only by the lust he feels for his cousin who is also the only person who seems to have a job in the show. Handicapped girl is secretly a monster girl whose species has invisible arms whose only purposes seem to be turning people into gore fountains and raping human women. Handicapped girl becomes a serial killer when she is hit on the head. For some reason we are supposed to feel sympathy for her because all humans deserve to die for killing one puppy or something.

I did eventually read a synopsis. The handicapped girl and the others like her are some kind of diffrent race of humans and the scientist who made them is using them to take over the world...or something. I think I'm putting more thought into this show than the makers did...or not enough. gently caress it, lets talk about good Anime. Go Watch Madoka Magica. Attack on Titan is fine too, but I feel like it will eventually suffer the same fate as Lost did.

Jay O posted:

(And not a bad metaphor, considering Boondock Saints is the favorite movie of many, many, many, MANY taste-lax dudes.)

I wanna meet that one dude in his 30s who still thinks thats a good movie.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 2, 2015

• Locked thread