Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Here's MikeJ's Informericalism along with his Patreon.

And here's another that's not already on the list, Cecil Trachenburg with Good Bad Flicks with accompanying Patreon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Check five post up. :cheeky:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Ghilz posted:

So Kyle / Oancitizen posted why he left Channel Awesome. And no, there's no drama involved!

http://kylekallgren.tumblr.com/post/108118690279/a-farewell-to-awesome

Aw, I'm glad to hear that he'll be able to breathe easier now by cutting that drama out of his life. Admittedly, I don't follow his work as closely as I should, I respect him a great deal.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

OrangeKing posted:

Comedy Central used to show Ishtar a decent amount when I was a kid. It's bad. (But not, like, that bad.)

It's one of those things that was much worse at the time due to the all the drama behind the scenes, the events of the time, hubris etc. All of that stuff aside, it's just a pretty unremarkable movie.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

So happy to hear that things are going well following what happened last week! And goodness, you've really turned a corner with that new setup! Looking very forward to the new show. :) By the way, nice hair.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

Here's MikeJ's Informericalism along with his Patreon.

And here's another that's not already on the list, Cecil Trachenburg with Good Bad Flicks with accompanying Patreon.

Cecil Trachenburg and his family were a victim of a home invasion last night. :ohdear:

http://www.gofundme.com/kp6tqo

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

echopapa posted:

I’ve got a new episode, in which I watch one of the first spaghetti westerns scored by Ennio Morricone, A Pistol for Ringo.

Nice find! My mother's a huge Western aficionado, I should ask he if she's seen this one the next time I visit.

I was a fan of Ennio Morricone's scores even before I knew who he was back when I was a kid. I rediscovered my love for his work when L'Arena was used in Kill Bill volume 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpFVxlisWFM

Beat No.3 from Teorema.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ypiiieayaw

And finally, Lilly and Frank from In the Line of Fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3inQ64Vv5Uk

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

The premiere of Movie Nights, Kindergarten Ninja, is now public! The ghost of Bruce Lee must set a NFL superstar on the right path. There are also children.

http://phelous.com/2015/01/29/obscurus-lupa/movienights/movie-nights-kindergarten-ninja/

"What is Kindergarten Ninja? Well, Kindergarten Ninja is a D.A.R.E.-sponsored movie..."

Starring a football player (in his first and only acting role) who makes references to a career highlight that occurred before the intended audience was even born.

:haw: Oh boy, time to get some popcorn.

Edit: This is kind of a searing indictment of teachers, isn't it? The judge says this guy is the worst person to stand before him in court. Then, as punishment, sends him to teach kids for three months. And then, he says that he wanted girls P.E.? :stare: Wow. This is just so weird for something clearly intended for the classroom.

Edit 2: That bit with the kid doing the alcoholic dance was straight stolen from Eddie Murphy's Delirious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfU1LjFfyBI&t=54s

Edit 3: This was a great start to Movie Nights! :D And Alcoholic Dance kid is the best character in the movie, hands down. Heck, he'd make a great reoccurring bit!

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 30, 2015

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Testekill posted:

Todds new review is up for his Patreons and it's on Word Up by Cameo. He's like crazy positive about it.

I'm glad he dug Cameo. They're a vastly underrated band, and seriously, their stuff is everywhere. Everywhere. They're like Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) in that you may not know of the band, but they're immensely talented, influential and you've heard more of their songs than you'd think. I liked Word Up as a kid, but didn't get turned onto "Candy" until about 6 months ago. My favorite part of Mariah Carey's Loverboy was Larry Blackmon's nasally vocals (and over-the-top persona), so I decided to look up where the sample was from and that's how I came to find Candy - and proceeded to get hooked on it for a couple weeks!

Celery Face posted:

How could someone not like that song? It's the very definition of slick. Dunno what was up with the red codpiece though.

Having grown up in the 80's, it was just an insane, schizophrenic time for fashion; especially if you lived in a major city. There are things I wouldn't have believed nor imagined if I hadn't seen them myself. The utter and complete lack of fashion boundaries was a lot of fun, actually. Now that I think about it, for as many pictures my sister has at her place, you'd think she didn't take a picture of herself before 1992. But I remember the big, blowout perms, jean + snakeskin jackets, too-tight jeans, cowboy boots...

But then there's a picture of me in an electric blue British Knight's tracksuit with mesh netting and a high-top fade complete with a thunderbolt cut into the side and a rat tail. :blush: So I can't talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe3dRw7ovhY

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

It got me to look into more fun wrestling history, despite never having watched a wrestling match in my life either. The fall of WCW is an amazing tragicomedy.

Likewise! I stopped watching wrestling in earnest early in my teens (around Wrestlemania IX), but in recent years (largely due to Wrestle Wrestle, come to think of it) I've gotten into the culture of it. It's endlessly fascinating!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ap2si_stone-cold-vs-bret-hart-wrestlemania-13-with-austin-s-commentary_sport

This is Steve Austin's commentary on the match that kicked his career into high gear: his submission match vs Bret "the Hitman" Hart. The first 2:15 minutes is the buildup to the match, but his blow-by-blow commentary kicks off from there. Gives a whole new appreciation for what (good) wrestlers are capable of.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 21, 2015

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Mr. Fowl posted:

There's a new Movie Nights--and it's Prehysteria! If I remember correctly, the exclamation point is, in fact, part of the title.

You have no idea how much I loved this movie when I was a little kid. Cute little animatronic pet dinosaurs was my jam.

This is another one I watched a lot of (and now own): Remote

I'd never seen the movie, but I vividly remember the box cover for some reason. Seems like it was better than one would think. As Lupa touched upon, I appreciate anything made for kids that doesn't talk down to them.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

Holy poo poo, car commercial is right. :stare: This sounds like one of those ads featuring a dead celebrity.

Speaking about songs about dead celebrities, I'm sure Todd will be reviewing Cee-Lo's "Robin Williams" soon enough. I'd imagine that it'd be more meaningful if it weren't a comeback single following career-killing controversy.

Edit: Now that Todd mentions it, there was a period in the 90's where every other song was a tribute song. Huh.

Jimbot posted:

The smell factor is a reason why I've never gone to a con (that and the horror stories of places being too crowded). I'll never understand why people can't take 10 seconds to put on deodorant. It's literally the easiest thing you can do in the morning when you wake up.

The only Con I've ever been to was the San Diego Comic-Con several times ('94, '98 and '08). Maybe it's more of a thing with smaller cons? :shrug: There are a ton of people, though. It was hard for me to wrap my head around the fact the number of people at Comic-Con was 4x the population of the college town I live in.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 20, 2015

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Beefstew posted:

Because professional filmmakers totally watch internet critics.

v:shobon:v

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

Lindsay's loose canon on Nightcrawler is out. https://www.patreon.com/posts/3251583

Time to cockblock her from ever doing the phantom.

:neckbeard: I wasn't into Lindsay at all when she was the Nostalgia Chick, but got into her Loose Canon series on a whim when she dropped the gimmick. Really dig it! Also cool (and surprising) to hear that she's a Nightcrawler fan and that her views on the character closely mirror mine.

I got into X-Men during the Chris Clairemont run in the 80's (along with Classic X-Men) when Kurt was the fun, swashbuckling type. He was fairly unique for that, especially for the time - despite his appearance or how bad things got, he was the source of positivity on the group. He also seemed to have a relatively normal life outside of the group (compared to most others within the X-Men at the time). It was a nice contrast to the rest of the group (many of whom were up their own asses) and, as she said, went a long way to making him stand out.

It's a bummer that the version of the character in the movies is based more on the much-maligned Chuck Austen's interpretation (simply due to timing, really), as that'll be the version more folks will be familiar with rather than the version that people actually liked.

Glad that there's been a return to the :yarr:, chandelier-swinging, fun-loving Kurt.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 25, 2015

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Testekill posted:

It also helped that Excalibur was one of the lesser X-men type comics so they could afford to make things weirder or sillier. Like for example Nightcrawler crashes a plane and faces off with the son of Krakoa (aka a hive-mind island) and tricks it into drowning to prove that it's as powerful as its father.

Oh boy, that's not one-tenth as crazy as what happened during his first solo miniseries from the mid-80's.

Here's small sample of what was in this 4-part miniseries: http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chronocomic/entries/nightcrawler_1-4.shtml

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Wonder if he talks about "Starry-Eyed Surprise" at all. While it wasn't exactly a Crazy town song (it was a Paul Oakenfold track), it did feature the lead singer (and has an incredibly catchy hook).

I look forward to checking this out when I get back home.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

I hadn't heard of Fear Street, but Goosebumps was huge, huge, huge. They were about the only books I could get my nephew to read.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

The first RPG I ever played was "Phantasy Star" for the Sega Master System, which had a female protagonist and had female writers and artists in the project. Looked incredible for the time, too.

The original series (1-4) are excellent (3 had some good ideas but was weak overall. It was the only one Rieko Kodama didn't work on). And the series had some groundbreaking ideas (particularly 2 and later 4).

It remains my favorite overall RPG series, and serves as a great example of strong female protagonists / main characters. It's a shame that what the brand is now is so far removed from where it'd been.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Few things reveal a person's work ethic quite like Patreon.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

RLM did an interview with their Twitter nemesis, Max Landis

http://redlettermedia.com/a-conversation-with-max-landis/

Max, both in the comments and in a video on his channel, mentioned that he was absolutely fanboying out at being with RLM. :neckbeard: And that he was anxious because he respects them so much. That's really cool. :) Echoing something Max said in the video, it's amazing that movies get made at all with all the tiny machinations that can go wrong at any point in the process. It's really refreshing to see someone in the business be able to sit down with a beer and candidly discuss the movie business.

I was a stand-in for a couple movies a few years back, and my biggest takeaway from the experience was just how amazing it was that the finished product (even the flawed ones) come out as coherent as they do. It's really as though scattering pieces of a jigsaw puzzle amongst hundreds of people and hoping that the finished product looks anything like it was originally intended.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

KayTee posted:

https://youtu.be/2-3wkbqmgxs

New Best of the Worst with motherfucking Max Landis!! :v:

Good god, this was fantastic!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

I think that's what has caused me to drop off from following Brad. At one time he was one of my favorite reviewers and he's got a fantastic work ethic. But with Brad, moreso than most others, it's hard to set the personal stuff aside because it just permeates through everything.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

PassTheRemote posted:

New Best of the worst!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgbPUHfBJA0

Cannon films are best films!

Mvenldea is my favorite villain in a while. :evil: Also, seeing this made me realize how many Cannon films I'd seen as a kid. For a kid who wanted mindless action, they rarely disappointed.

And Chuck Norris can't hold a candle to Charles Bronson!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

There was a time when TLC was light-hearted and fun (the Paige Davis-hosted "Trading Spaces"). I miss those days.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

I didn't mind the jokes so much, it was more the tone of that episode: it was just unpleasant. It reminded me of their "Ghostbusters 2" commentary right after Harold Ramis' death in just how mean-spirited and cynical it came across.

I'm still a big fan of RLM, but I don't plan on revisiting that episode WotW.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Infamous Sphere posted:

Well...uh...if anyone would like to see it I used my expertise as a Professional Internet Queer and Expert at Watching Gay Movies to put together a list of recommendations of the best movie to watch as your first queer movie! If I can help anyone avoid having their first queer movie be something crappy like FOOD OF LOVE, my work here is done.

Watching this, I started thinking about what my first queer movie I ever saw and rather struggled with it. As it so happened, your list reminded me that it was RHPS, which I saw at around 9 years-old at the local theater when my weekend babysitter was cast as Riff Raff. I ended up getting the full rice-throwing experience :toot:. It never occurred to me as a queer movie until your review, though. Funny that!

I became a teen during the 90's and besides having a complete identity crisis in regards to my sexuality there just wasn't much in the way of an outlet, especially once I ended moving from the outskirts of the gay center of San Diego (Hillcrest) to a suburb in the deep South at 15. The only time one could run across something in the realm of queer cinema at the time was if whatever video store you went did wasn't aware of what it was (which often meant that you weren't aware, either). Even then, it's a matter of working up the nerve to by looked at and judged for renting something like that, which is the last thing you'd want as a teen in a small town. Some movies that were mainstream, like To Wong Foo, Bound, Philadelphia or to a lesser extent Priscilla Queen of the Desert were exceptions, but pickings were slim and none were remotely relatable to a teenager.

Once I finally came out in my early 20's and the Internet matured some, I was able to actively search for queer movies and much of what I found fell into two categories: overwhelmingly camp or soul-crushingly depressing with virtually nothing in between. It became frustrating being unable to find a queer movie that could be enjoyed as just a movie without the worst parts of homophobia, oppression, drugs, disease or some other facet as a plot point - typically the sort of thing you'd put a movie on to escape from, not be reminded of.

I saw about half the movies on the list and the ones that left the greatest impression were RHPS, a Beautiful Thing, and But I'm a Cheerleader. A Beautiful Thing was one of the rare movies I came away feeling good about after, though it did have some dark patches. But I'm a Cheerleader was less for the movie itself, but because it was the first outwardly queer movie I didn't see alone and put in motion the series of events that lead to my coming out to my family. Your summary of loving Amal made me wish it'd come along when I was younger, as that would've absolutely spoken to me as a kid trying to reconcile his identity and may have helped me in coming around to accept myself far earlier than I did.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

RLM released a commentary track for Gremlins (a criminally over-looked movie these days). It's fun stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Coming a bit late to the mystery conversation, but I highly recommend the A&E series "a Nero Wolfe Mystery" from the early 2000's. It's a fantastic production from top to bottom with Timothy Hutton as Archie Goodwin and Maury Chaykin as the titular Nero Wolfe, while stays very true to the Rex Stout books.

It may be streamable on Netflix, but it is up on YouTube (though some episodes have audio issues, such as gaps in the episode's soundtrack - quite odd). I'm a sucker for mysteries and gave it a shot on Netflix DVD some twelve years ago. I absolutely devoured the series since. If you decide to pick it up, start with "the Doorbell Rang."

• Locked thread