Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Thanks for recommending Wolf Cop, Lupa! My brother has been stuck inside because of chemo (and me too, because it's my job to watch his condition), and the movie really brightened our day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Oh what could have been...

No wait I think TV sucked at the time, never mind, would be a cool idea today though.

Good thing to remember: For all the crap media that's put out, this is still pretty much the best era of television, especially if you like drama.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jay O posted:

I have one text thing, one podcast, and one video to share with you! OH BOY!

One of our ANN writers put together a short article on some of the classic literary allusions and references in Psycho-Pass. It's a great read if you've seen the show, and if not, maybe it'll intrigue you to check it out, cause Psycho-Pass is good poo poo.

ANNCast podcast series discussion came around to TRIGUN which means it's mostly me gushing, made much more fun by having some opposition to my enthusiasm on the podcast. Yeah, the show hasn't aged too well. But we discuss the pros and cons of this decades past once-hit.

Finally, another musical countdown! The top ten opening theme songs of 2009! ...Oh boy. (It was a bad year for anime, right after the industry's bubble-burst. So at least it's a very unique list!)

Also, saw Jurassic World. It was bad. But after the interminable first act is over, it has lots of fun moments and fuckyeah dinosaur action in it, so it's not so bad. It's much more enjoyable than most joylessly bad blockbusters that have come out recently. But yeah, go in with low expectations. Also goddamn does it give a constant sloppy blowjob to the original film from start to finish. Depending on who you are, that may make the movie better or worse. It did not improve my experience at all. Only the setpieces did, most of them in the third act. But yeah, could have been a looooot worse.

I would argue that Trigun's aged alright. I actually only saw it for the first time last year, and I thought it was pretty good.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

nine-gear crow posted:

The TFS Dragonball characters have pretty much overwrote my memories of the actual DBZ characters. :allears:

What's been really great is seeing the guys interactions with the actual dub voice actors Its cool that they've embraced it so much. Hell, Takahata101 is actually one of the Dragonball Xenoverse avatar voice options, and half his quotes are things from DBZA.

Hell, TFS Vegeta is the voice of Vegeta in my head now.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

achillesforever6 posted:

How expensive are the movie theaters in NYC? Maybe that played a factor. The theater I saw it in cost only 6 dollars. :swoon:

Same here, pretty much. Plus I get to sit in these.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
There's a new Movie Nights--and it's Prehysteria! If I remember correctly, the exclamation point is, in fact, part of the title.

You have no idea how much I loved this movie when I was a little kid. Cute little animatronic pet dinosaurs was my jam.

This is another one I watched a lot of (and now own): Remote

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget Redline :allears:.

Redline is the best case of "gently caress the budget, gently caress time constraints, let's make something cool regardless of how long is takes."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Do not even ask posted:

I remember being fascinated by the VHS cover of the film when it came out. I was too young to watch it and the only thing "Titus" that I knew about was the TV show with Zack Ward but seeing the dour and muddied face of Hopkins gave me the impression that the movie was likely a weird dark comedy. Glad to see that my uninformed analysis was pretty much spot on to the real thing.

Glad I'm not the only one. It's a rather striking cover.

Not necessarily the part thinking it was a movie-length episode of the sitcom Titus, though.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
SFDebris does Iron Giant in his latest critique and puts the Superman bit as the closer :cry:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Rebochan posted:

Lindey's tumblr posted some rather revealing things about what it was like to work on the CA movies.

http://lindsayetumbls.tumblr.com/

"Sixty of Nine." Wow.

So he has access to a whole site full of content creators...And goes authentic in the worst possible way with his poo poo film, by not taking advantage of modern technology and treating it all as a way to execute his vision.

The least he could have done would have been to put up a shared document so people could provide input and notes.

Everything I learn about Doug makes him seem more unpleasant. I feel that's the perfect word. He's not malevolent, not antagonistic like some of the higher ups at that site seem to be. He's just a person that is ultimately very unpleasant to be around.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Miss Wallace posted:

Hahaha, okay, here is the actual script excerpt, I screen capped it because it needs to be seen to be believed:

You give us the best presents.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Miss Wallace posted:

Yeah, what the hell was that all about??? I was so confused why I was a bitch all of a sudden. I will say this, the scene previous to that line was my favorite to shoot, with me and Todd in the sleeping bags. It was the only time I felt like it was organic dialogue between two people rather than an awkward setup for a punchline, and I wanted to really *act*, y'know? Funny thing is, Rob told us he didn't write that scene to be dramatic, but they liked our interpretation. I was like...what? Was that supposed to be funny?? Huh???

Thing is, Doug and Rob don't know how to write women. They only know stereotypes, which, in all fairness, is how they write everyone else. But they only know the archetypes, the swoony girly type or the tough bitch. They just saw me in my Reviewaverse Saga stuff and assumed, because I could fight in that particular series, "Obscurus Lupa" must be a tough bitch. Also Doug liked my leather jacket. So, regardless of how my "character" was in my videos, that's how I was in TBF.

One of the anniversaries, I want to say the Brawl, there was originally a pillow fight between two of the girls, and Lindsay said no. You will find many of the worst "girl stories" from the anniversaries end in "Lindsay said no."

These stories just make me like Lindsay more.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

bbf2 posted:

They should do a Best of the Worst with Patton Oswalt where the three movies are all movies that he appeared in

Not as rich a vein as you might think, sadly. Unless they watched episodes of shows he was in--he's been in a lot of lovely TV.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

OldTennisCourt posted:

I remember that ep, it was two completely unrelated stories because SVU is insane. They find the camera, and find out it caught a teacher with her student and they go after her but it turns out she had some tumor that was like, messing with her brain somehow and making her a nymphomaniac or something.

The greatest SVU ep is BY FAR the episode where an actual, no joke, mad scientist makes some weird thing that can let criminals bypass DNA tests. The episode ends with the doctor literally going "NOW YOU COPS CAN'T RELY ON DNA!" and giving an honest to god supervillain laugh.

There's an episode of Elementary like this (the second one) but it fits a little better because it seems like every so often one of their cases involves something truly weird (like murderous AI).

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Can we go back to talking about cheesy crime procedurals?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I'm sure he'd take her out to dinner first.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jsor posted:

Oh man, I had a Chipmunks cassette tape with that on it that was great when I was a kid.

(I... uh... really liked The Chipmunks when I was a child)

A lot of kids did. It was like the original Kidz Bop. Kid-friendly covers of pop songs by singers with high voices. Except in it's done by speeding up the tape, instead of hiring young singers.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

surf rock posted:

Decided to start watching SF Debris' show on the history of comic books after hearing recommendations for him here.

It's pretty decent, although I'm disappointed that it's very focused on the last couple decades of comics and there's very, very little about DC Comics (halfway through, at least). He mostly focuses on Marvel, along with Valiant and Image. In the eighth video, which I just watched, he blames someone's death by heart attack on a lovely Captain America comic, which is a little much.

He didn't actually blame the death on the comic. You're omitting some key language.

Edit: He basically said "Guy who cared a lot about Captain America dies within days of lovely comic by Liefeld hitting stores. Coincidence?" It's not meant to be taken literally.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 18, 2015

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Miss Wallace posted:

For sure. There's no reason to deal with Scott Shaw, who's pretty shady and likes to raise a stink about any criticisms toward his work. He tried to remove my re-edit of my Zen Films video even though the re-edit was just audio and text. Besides, there are other films to talk about anyway, so no loss. :) It was fun while it lasted.

As for Springboard, yeah, Phelan and I used it, but they didn't monetize videos as much as Blip did and I was making more off of archive videos sitting doing nothing on Blip than Springboard. At a time where I depended solely on ad revenue, it hurt. Not to mention, a lot of people had issues using the player, and that hurt the audience. This might be different now, since it was a while ago, but I am still a little cautious of it since it could easily go the same way Blip did. I suppose that's the same for any kind of alternative player.

Speaking of Shaw, Rifftrax is doing Rollergator. Are you excited about a purple rubber hand puppet as I am? :duckie:

Also, I have no idea what that smiley means, but it's cute.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Man I can't wait til The Oral History of Channel Awesome comes out.

I would definitely watch a documentary about the drama surrounding "internet critics".

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is Michaud the source of everything wrong with Channel Awesome?

Nah, the whole top is rotten from what we've heard--Doug, Rob, and Michaud.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

KKall posted:

INT: HOUSE

HARD CUT IN: CU A young man, poised like a ferret possessed by the spirit of a honey badger. He is dressed in cheap clothes and sits before a BLANK WALL. He looks directly into the camera, fuming.

GUY: ULTIMATE IMAGINATION XVII IS THE poo poo-COCK-INGEST PUKE-BLOW-INGEST PIECE OF ASSFUCK CUMPISS I'VE EVER PLAYED IN MY LIFE! IT'S THE BIGGEST SCROTUM OF FARTSTOWN IN JIZZ CITY! BURN IT! BURN IT AND BURY IT IN THE DESERT.

He ends his rant with an impotent, vaguely masculine but nonetheless manic wail. He stops. The energy leaves him. He pauses. He thinks.

GUY: "poo poo cockingest... puke blow..." wait... what did I write down?

He picks up a SCRIPT and thumbs through it until he gets to the last page.

GUY: (reading out loud) Okay... "poo poo blowingest puke cockingest" (pause) "poo poo blowingest puke cockingest"... "poo poo COCKingest... puke BLOWingest..." yeah, it works better the other way around. That was fine.

He looks into the camera, resigned.

GUY: Yeah, I think I've got it. Yeah. That's the take. Okay. (pause) Okay.

He stands up.

CUT TO: WS of room, high angle. GUY stands up and turns off his cheap looking camera. The camera sits on a tripod facing the only tidy part of the room. The rest of the space, as we can now see, is built of pure clutter. Stray rulebooks, decade old strategy guides, discarded and obsolete game consoles, stacks of empty Tostitos bags, soda bottles and cardboard boxes fill the space, save for the one blank corner serving as GUY's backdrop.

"Hand Covers Bruise" by Trent Reznor begins to play. GUY walks over to his bed, lazily swipes the various flotsam off the mattress and collapses onto the bed.

CU on GUY. He stares at the ceiling.

MONTAGE of GUY driving late at night. He looks for a restaurant open late. He takes a burrito home to eat. He plants himself on a couch and loads a game into his console. The game starts up. It's Ultimate Imagination XVII.

The lights from the game illuminate the otherwise dark room. Bright pastels dance across GUY's face as he plays. He is emotionless.

FADE OUT

FADE IN: TITLE

CRITICAL THINKING

A David Fincher film.

It's beautiful :aaaaa:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Chromatic posted:

Is there any answer to that question that makes it not weird?

God no! But it does help us appreciate the flavor.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Miss Wallace posted:

Aw, thanks! It's all good now. And honestly guys, Noah is a lot better than he was and we get along fine. I can't speak for his work, but at least on a personal level, he seems in a much better place. His girlfriend April is also a super nice person and she's always been great to me.

This is good to hear :) I hope he continues to find stability in his life.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
According to my Youtube feed, it took the bots less than eleven minutes to take down Todd's latest video.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

KKall posted:

There is no heat between me and him. However, there is heat between me and his awful poo poo-stirring fans who desperately want there to be heat between me and him.

Good, good! Let the anger flow through you! :unsmigghh:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The documentary that Mike and Jay mentioned during the Everest Half in the Bag is pretty good. I get why they said it would make a good movie.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tracula posted:

Yeah it's a thing. Till my mother got so arthritic and my aunt aunt lost an arm they both owned face at Tetris. However the guys who play the Grand Master versions exist on another dimension though.

That's some hardcore tetris if she lost an arm.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tae posted:

What is a "hardcore" gamer other than a 14 year old who's probably stupid and angry if video games didn't exist, and probably the type to say any movie with a budget under 30 million isn't a real movie?

A hardcore gamer is someone who self-identifies as such.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Bad Wolf posted:

Totalbisquit got pretty much the worst news imaginable. http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1snlj3r

Regardless of how you feel about the guy, this is just terrible.

My brother (who is right now a few feet to my right) is currently fighting a stupidly-rare lymphoma, so I feel for him.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Violet_Sky posted:

Todd has a new Cinemadonna: The Next Best thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=padqYfpwlIs

This movie is more foul than I could have possibly imagined.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Augus posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy is pretty heavily influenced by its director. It's also probably the most well-liked movie of the MCU

Hopefully it will lead to more strongly-flavored additions to the franchise. I've heard that GotG was a test to see how far into the MU they could delve--since the characters were all virtual-unknowns, and because it was far more weird and scifi than the other ones.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
:shobon: I like Game Grumps. It got a lot better after jontron left.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
My favorite thing about that native american episode? Huffing! The most 90s of all "ripped from the headlines" scares!

Your kids could be huffing paint...right now!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, the whole movie is 45 minutes of everything-but-kitchen-sink but is well worth a watch for the effort put in. Incidentally, no, the series aren't any better. At least not Blood+, haven't seen Blood C.

Looking forward to his next episode though :allears:. It's Bubblegum Crisis.

I actually liked Blood+ :shobon:

But then, I watched it in high school, on Adult Swim.

Never really liked Blood the Last Vampire, though--I agree with Sage's assessment.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The destruction sequence...That was something else.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

PassTheRemote posted:

Watching some old episodes, it's amazing how little continuity matters. I cannot remember if Eddie being a virgin was just a joke, or a plot point, but apparently, he can still be a virgin after banging some older woman when he was 15.

It's amazing how this series really is the Hoff writing fanfiction for himself. "And then after Garner wins the basketball game, Mitch effortlessly dunks over Garner. Then Mitch bangs the princess and gets all the saves."

Also, when are we getting monkey lifeguard? And more importantly, is Monkey Lifeguard a better lifeguard than the rookies?

I just like how we're slowly filling out the context for the opening.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Miss Wallace posted:

I had to rewind several times after I heard that line. Lou Rawls is fantastic. He's a main character on Baywatch Nights, and he even gets a storyline where they're held hostage at his night club and he gets shot.

All I'm hearing is that we need to get to Baywatch Nights :D

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

nine-gear crow posted:

Kyle, I just want to commend you for using Bill Murray's Star Wars lounge singer song as the end credits music to that video. Thank you.

Strange coincidence that he and Todd put out a star wars video at the same time and capped it off with the same credits song.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Plinkett review when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Star Wars is a series with laser swords that suddenly stop three feet from the hilt, planet-busting space stations, Jar Jar Binks, and space wizards.

• Locked thread