Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Miss Wallace posted:

The only animals Mitch Buchannon loves are the kind that can be thrown on a barbecue.

EDIT: Holy poo poo that Inspector Rex show looks fantastic!

EDIT EDIT: 10 SEASONS!?!

Oh man, you've never heard of Inspector Rex before? I'm amazed. Here in Australia it was a really big thing, in terms of it was one of the few shows on SBS (the public broadcasting channel that mainly showed foreign and subtitled media) everyone had heard of. When you're a child, you think it's great, because you don't know how cheesy and predictable it is yet. I did German at school, and most of it was spent watching Inspector Rex. They've also got some terrible/amazing/terrible spinoffs, "Rex in Rome", as well as "Baby Rex."
The show usually featured a really obvious evil aryan villain, and a lame schlubby fat guy red herring. Surprise! Turns out the really obvious evil blonde nazi looking guy did it! All the time!
Oh man, I can talk about Inspector Rex all day.

Sorry, forgive my excitement, I'm just surprised to be the one informing *you* about something gloriously lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
New episode - I finally talked about Frank Underwood, everyone's favourite evil bisexual. Also, Halt and Catch Fire. Just male bisexuality in general, right here.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

e X posted:

:psyduck:

This really freaks me out for some reason. The idea that anyone, anywhere would pay to license lovely German tv shows is just mind blowing. I mean, I could see other European countries, but worldwide, holy poo poo.

Inspector Rex was really big in Australia! I wouldn't be surprised if it made up a big chunk of the SBS ratings. There's even apparently a long-form parody of it, Inspector Herring, done by one of our comedy treasures, Shaun Micallef.

Also, apparently there's even more spin-offs than I originally thought. Not only did they do a baby Rex one, they also did one based on the uptight nerd detective Stockinger. I haven't seen it so I can't vouch for its quality.

Leelee posted:

Infamous Sphere- got a question. Have you reviewed "Fried Green Tomatoes" ? I know they got rid of a ton of the lesbian content, but whoa watching that movie recently and it seems very obvious Ruth and Idgie are a couple, something I didn't get when I was younger.

I've never seen Fried Green Tomatoes. It's in my Netflix queue though.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Miss Wallace posted:

I can't say for sure since there's a lot of big series that I missed the boat on, but I imagine Inspector Rex was just one of those things that's big outside of the USA. Outside of cable stuff we don't usually have subtitled programs on TV, at least I don't recall watching any when I was growing up.

I didn't grow up with cable either, so maybe I just missed it? I'm pretty sure my watching back then was limited to like the Starship Troopers cartoon, Zoboomafoo, and Zoom.

There's another thing to consider - Australia is not a huge creator of content. We do create content, and we do have a content law similar to Canada (I think it's 55% content) but we've got something like 7% of the US' population. So we import a lot of TV and movies. BBC stuff goes to ABC (our public broadcasting, government funded), American stuff usually goes to commercial television because it's more expensive and commercial channels are more likely to pay for licensing, and SBS (also public broadcasting, but it has ads now unfortunately) takes most of the subtitled and/or sexy stuff. I'm not sure how frequently the average Australian watches subtitled content, but the average Australian most definitely watches non-Australian content on a regular basis.
All of this is just free-to-air TV. I've never had cable.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Wrageowrapper posted:

Inspector Herring was unfortunately just a series of mock commercials played during his SBS show Newstopia.

But the Late Show (the Australian sketch show) did have Charlie the Wonderdog, though that was more a spoof on Lassie and Skippy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukqt7-2AGaE

*edit. Oh wait he did an actual episode/movie? I had no idea.

That second link I provided was an actual episode they did of Inspector Herring. I only found this out when reading the Inspector Rex wikipedia page.

High Warlord Zog posted:

SBS used to have a guy who would bark into the phone whenever kids called up to ask about the show.

I saw stack of Inspector Rex DVD's at an op-shop the other week that were rated MA15+ (Australian R, for any non down under folk) for sex scenes and violence. I only ever watched the episodes SBS put on at 7:30 for families. I'm curious, how sleazy did program get?

Uh, from what I recall from my German class, it was usually the evil guys who were sleazy. The worst I saw was a paedophile room set up where they were going to film a kid, but nothing graphic was shown (the child was rescued before anything happened), an evil guy grabbing a ballet teacher's breast, and just some evil soap opera level making out/tame sex stuff between the evil man and the evil women villains they usually had.
Violencewise I don't remember anything that outrageous. In terms of content it was about the same as The Bill (although apparently Mickey got raped on that show, which I found out when I was trying to find a specific episode of The Bill for one of the two gay cop things I reviewed.)

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
SBS on Demand also has a lot of unusual gay movies and a whole section devoted to sexy movies just called "let's get it on" or something to that tune. Needless to say, SBS was the channel that aired Masters of Sex.
However, the channel itself used to only have ads between programmes and now they have them jammed in every 15 minutes, which is just annoying - compared to ABC which has no ads.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Celery Face posted:

They were only a hit in Canada so it's obviously not going to happen but I'm pretty curious as to how an episode about B-4-4 would go down. (I wonder if there were any Australian bands this insane)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhv6gipA3dc

Canadian one hit wonders are either really generic or really bizarre. I don't mean the stuff that everyone knows about like She's So High or The Safety Dance. Artists like Elise Estrada, Belly and Shiloh are lucky that the content law exists because they wouldn't have gotten radio play otherwise. Sure, I heard them constantly in 2007/2008 but no one actually cared about them and they dropped off the radar almost immediately.

I would *love* an episode on that song! Ever since I saw the video several years ago, its weird badness has stuck in my mind. As for unusual Australian one hit wonders, the best I can think of off the top of my head is Man Overboard by Do Re Mi, which is like a feminist manifesto recited over music. According a commentator on TV during one of those history of Australian popular music shows, people would hear the song and go "Wait a minute? What was that about the penis envy and the pubic hairs?" and then they wouldn't be able to forget it.

Other than that, another great one is Horror Movie by Skyhooks. However, I don't listen to pop radio much so I'm not sure if I'm forgetting about some really odd Australian one hit wonders.

Oh wait, how could I forget about Pauline Pantsdown? She was a parody of this ridiculous politician we've got here called Pauline Hanson - just imagine Sarah Palin basically - and a drag queen made a couple of songs by chopping up bits of her speeches.

Infamous Sphere fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 15, 2015

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Celery Face posted:

I love the dumbfounded look on the host's faces at the end. The bassline is great though.

Another weird thing about B-4-4 is that the twins from it are now in a Christian opera group called RyanDan (heh heh) and perform regularly alongside Shania Twain in Vegas.

I don't know who was doing the little host segment, because Countdown would have bands randomly take turns hosting - but the main host was Molly Meldrum and he always looked bumbling/like he was probably drunk and had no idea what the hell he was doing. That was part of his appeal.

(This is only secondhand information as I wasn't alive when Countdown was on.)

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

DStecks posted:

Yeah I'll fully cop to stealing that joke. It's, well, I can't say ruining it for me, because Daredevil is the poo poo, but I can't unsee it being Todd in the Shadows Against Crime.

And if Todd looks like Charlie Cox under the mask... :swoon:

*looks up Charlie Cox*

Oh, Daredevil is Thomas' old dickhead boyfriend from Downton Abbey. Heyo!

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

echopapa posted:

Speaking of Yahtzee, one of his videos is on display at the Australian Centre for the Moving Image in Melbourne as an example of Australian digital media. I bet they also have one of Infamous Sphere’s videos in the rotation and I just didn’t happen to see it.

Haha, well if they do, they certainly didn't tell me about it :)

I also have the distinction of being from Australia's least favourite city, which is a bit of a handicap. Interestingly (?) enough, I applied for a job at the ACMI for their hollywood costume exhibition, but I think a lot of people applied for the same job and they probably wanted to give it to someone who wasn't going to have to uproot themselves and travel 8 hours south.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm surprised there aren't any anime reviewers who are willing to do videos on poo poo like this. We've got enough ~wacky hijinks oh boy this show sure is bad huh!~ shows to last a lifetime, why don't more people put out poo poo like Oancitizen, ComicHistorian, SFDebris or hell even AE Podcast? Really get inside and explore the background, politics, history and ideas in a show/movie/wrestling thing/comic/etc.?

I'm honestly really tired of the TGWTG style of "Hey let me simply describe literally the entire film but with jokes!" thing. It can be done well no doubt, all the people I went over do work in that style and people like Lupa can make it work, but it's just kind of getting stale to be honest.

I'd love for a show to not even go into specifics in a film, like do a retrospective on found footage, explore how the Blair Witch used it's marketing campaign to a genius extent and made it work, look at how films like Unfriended are pushing that idea even further, explore the V/H/S series.

Hell, we're on an anime track here, do a series on the role of voice actors, the background of famous series and what they did/why they succeeded/failed etc. There's just so much fertile ground to explore and work with that it sucks so many people are stuck in a weird rut.

I always loved the chance to really think about the history of something, or the implications of it, rather than simply making jokes. Along these lines my next series of videos are all going to be about Dirk Bogarde movies. Unfortunately, I don't think many people are particularly interested in Dirk Bogarde movies (let alone know who he is.) However, it's nice to have the freedom to run with an idea when you have it. Because there's a lot of legal history and societal attitudes that I can talk about, as well as film analysis and..possibly even some jokes!
I think people tend to like me the best when I talk about something they already know about though. Which in a sense is a shame, because often my favourite videos are when I've dug up something old, weird or unusual, that hasn't already been combed through a thousand times already.

Jay O posted:

The I ONLY "REVIEW" (RIFF) BAD THINGS hill is still a crap hill to die on, though. Talk about bad things, then talk about mediocre things, talk about good things, round yourself out, open a dialogue.

The problem with reviewing only bad things is...well, a) everyone else has decided to do that, and b) have you ever tried restricting yourself to only watching/reading/listening to bad things? It makes you fall out of love with an art form. It's just horrible.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Testekill posted:

The problem is that there are two cities that can lay claim to that title. So you from Canberra or Darwin?

Since I created knitwear specifically for my show so that I don't freeze when I have to turn off the heating in winter to record, I think you can probably guess that I'm not from Darwin. (8 hours south is also a bit of a clue.)

echopapa posted:

The wonderful thing about a country with as few major cities as Australia is that you can come up with a reason to hate every single city except your own. I mean, as an American, I can hate Boston and Chicago and Houston and all the obvious choices, but I’ll be damned if I can find an excuse to hate Kansas City.

I don't think anyone really bothers claiming that they hate Sydney, it's just so much of a dominant cultural force that even if you hate something about it, you can't write off the whole place. People hate Canberra because it's a lazy shorthand for "whatever lovely thing the government's doing now." Amusingly(?) enough, unemployment has just skyrocketed in Canberra because the government hates Canberra too, and sacked a huge chunk of the public service, aka the number one employment provider in Canberra.

I've actually only visited 3 of Australia's state capitals, including my own. Well, four if you count a stopover at Brisbane airport.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Haven't been to Perth because it's 5 hours flight away and I've had no reason to go. Also it's THE MOST ISOLATED CAPITAL CITY IN THE WORLD.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
NOOOOOOOOOO

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Benny the Snake posted:

Hey internet reviewers and critics alike on this thread, I have a very importiant question involved in criticism--is it fair to base your opinion on a given work not on the source material but on the adaptation? Particuarly when the aesthetics of said source material are personally so repugnant that the adaptation not only as faithful to the source material as possible but much, much more palatable?

DStecks posted:

No. Your opinion of the work shouldn't be based on anything but the work itself (unless you're specifically discussing, say, the work in its full cultural context, which is a whole other discussion). If you like an adaptation but not its source, then your problem is viewing the adaptation as something auxiliary to the source, and not a work in its own right which you can have an opinion on.

I don't think you can really tell people *what* to focus on when discussing something. I usually do try and research the cultural context for what I do (although if it's a shorter, sillier review I often don't go too into it) - but it's usually just a basic acknowledgment that something was originally a play/novel/graphic novel that I haven't read/seen, and then more detail into the laws/cultural context either at the time it was released, or at the time the work is set in, for period pieces. I've reviewed a couple of film and TV adaptations where I've also read the original book, and talked about how the two compare, but if I haven't - I usually just say "I'm only going off the movie for this one" and, if the adaptation has problems, I mention how those problems might not have been present in the work's original form. No one's complained about it yet. Then again, most of the stuff I review isn't the sort of stuff that attracts rabid fans fussing about original canon.
But yes, while adaptations are often really straightforward attempts to represent the original, in a different format, some of them are completely new things. Like my opinion on Twist doesn't really have much to do with what I might think about the original Dickens, because it isn't trying to be a straightforward Dickens adaptation. So if I were banging my fist on the table and going "This isn't in the book!" I would be completely missing the point.

And in fact, by saying that, I think I basically just said what Dstecks said but in a more long-winded way!

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
We're all born on August 18th? How long does a song stay number 1 exactly? (I'm assuming a couple of weeks.)

quote:

"It was an enormous chart success internationally, particularly in the United Kingdom, where it spent sixteen consecutive weeks at number one on the UK Singles Chart (the longest in British chart history), seven weeks at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States, and nine weeks atop the Canadian Singles Chart in Adams's native Canada"
Well, if you're born in 1991 there's a good chance you would have been born in the 2-3 months that single was number 1. What a sad, sad world.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
New episode - the first of a four part series on the not particularly well known but secretly influential Dirk Bogarde (you might know him from whenever the Cinema Snob mentions The Night Porter. Which he might have only done once as far as I know.)

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

poparena posted:

I am very much on board for this. I find the stories of closeted actors interesting and can never keep track of them all. Case in point, had no idea Raymond Burr was gay until his picture popped up in the video. I might have the track down The Singer Not the Song.

*gunshot* GAY!

Yeah, a good deal of actors were actually closeted LGBT people - when you're looking up stars in old hollywood, it's almost every second person - and there's also a few who are *rumoured* (I'm not sure one way or the other with Cary Grant, not that it matters.) I think there's two reasons why LGBT people tend to be strongly represented in the creative arts. One, is that being forced to have a different view from the norm can make you a more creative person (not necessarily, I've met more than my fair share of aggressively unimaginative queer people, but you're more likely to have your perceptions challenged by being LGBT than by being straight.) Another, is that those creative fields tend to be a little more accepting of difference, thus meaning that LGBT people historically felt more confident in expressing themselves when they were in a creative field than when they were politicians or in the public service or whatever else (again, not necessarily.)

I'm not sure I'd recommend watching TSNTS, but it has a much better balance between camp and not camp than Modesty Blaise, which is just all camp. You can't have something be 100% camp, or you'll die of exhaustion when watching it. This could be just me though - I'm slightly allergic to camp. I couldn't bring myself to watch The Birdcage, had to turn it off after 9 minutes.

But yes, in the next few reviews there's some really interesting movies coming up which I've been dying to talk about.

Infamous Sphere fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 26, 2015

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Robert Denby posted:

By the way, I know you weren't a fan of "The Devils", but have you considered doing any more Ken Russell? That guy is a goldmine of weird whether you love him or hate him, and its now actually possible to see most of his filmography without paying $60 for a used laserdisc or getting extremely lucky and catching repertory screenings.

He could do Women in Love and talk about the naked Oliver Reed wrestling scene. (What was it with Russell and Oliver Reed?) Which is the only thing I really know about that movie. I should probably actually sit down and watch some Ken Russell, although from what I've heard so far, this clip from The Goodies is pretty accurate.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Robert Denby posted:

How have I never seen that clip before?! :allears: One of the film's they're parodying with that clip, "The Music Lovers", is probably worth watching since it covers a lot of ground that would suit your show. Its a biopic on Tchaikovsky that goes into some detail on his on-again-off-again gay relationship, and has a dazzlingly insane performance by Glenda Jackson as Tchaikovsky's wife. The film very consciously switches between scenes of beauty and grandeur to some remarkably disturbing territory towards the end. "Women in Love" is quite good too, and worth watching just for the performances by Reed and Jackson.

KKall posted:

I have a pretty big pile of requests to get to, but once I'm through that I would love to tackle that Tchaikovsky biopic he did...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO31n8sy0r0

Haha, speak of the devil. Well, I think I'll let Mr Kallgren have this one.

Wait a minute, Richard Chamberlain? Hello, another closeted (at the time) gay actor playing a gay character!

The "best" bit about that Goodies clip is just before they talk about Ken Russell, they have a parody of Death in Venice, which is also pretty accurate. I've been trying VERY hard to watch DiV for the past couple of weeks for my Bogarde series, but I'm finding it incredibly hard to take. Thankfully it's the last film I'm going to cover, so I've still got a couple of weeks before I really need to see it. I've only gotten about 30 minutes in and so far it's just Bogarde being grumpy on a boat, and then staring creepily at some teenage boy. Oh and some arguments about beauty or something. Am I a philistine for confessing that I'm finding this movie..kind of boring?
Yes, I know about Visconti creeping on Andresen, and the extremely unfortunate reality behind the movie's unfortunate implications. I'll get to that when I actually make the review.

Infamous Sphere fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 29, 2015

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Violet_Sky posted:

So Jim Sterling reviews a homophobic Steam Greenlight game.

CW: Homophobia, Transphobia

:nms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-p7mOl1xDE :nms:

Yeah, these warnings exist for a good reason. :stonk: :stonk:

Yeah, uh.... :|

I'm not really sure what to say about it. It's just incredibly moronic (and shouldn't be on Steam.) It comes across as, say, a 13 year old boy in the early 2000s who hasn't actually ever met an LGBT person, and just thinks the whole concept of them existing is gross, and therefore funny. Which..come on, people. What a waste of pixels. I mean if this thing had any chance of mainstream success I might be worried for knock-on effects on actual LGBT people, but it's such a lame game and so out of its time that it's just going to fall into obscurity immediately.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Jsor posted:

It hits the point where it's so offensive that I can't even find anything wrong with it aside from general eyeroll worthiness. It's like Postal, or, as mentioned, Hatred. When something is that actively awful, it kind of goes past "offensive" into "okay, whatever, guy" territory. It feels like comparing a real suicide threat with a toddler who says they're SO TOTALLY GOING TO HOLD THEIR BREATH UNTIL THEY DIE IF YOU DON'T GIVE THEM CANDY.

Yeah, that's what I took from it. Also, as I said, this guy doesn't really have the power or influence to have much of an impact on real life. I love his "explanation" though, because it's exactly the wrong way to respond to accusations that you have caused offence. And yes, I do know that people can be too overly sensitive, but considering how it really wasn't that long ago that open and obnoxious bigotry against LGBT people was condoned, encouraged or thought to be funny by almost everyone...eh, why am I bothering to give this more thought than the game developer did.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
I find that the f plus can get a bit old, especially when it's literally mocking people who are probably only about 14 and don't know any better yet. TVTropes is silly, but it's hardly the worst of the internet. Sometimes an obsessive dedication to categorising popular culture can be very useful - I often use the site when I need to find examples of, say, particular LGBT tropes, as it tends to be the best place for digging up very specific examples, that aren't necessarily the most obvious or well known ones. (I suppose I could also use IMDB keywords, but they usually don't tell you the exact specifics of the scene in which the keyword is featured.) That said, I made a conscious decision to avoid using TVtropes words in my work for a number of reasons.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
New episode! I talk about ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT QUEER FILMS EVER, 1961's Victim!

For bonus points, read this magazine article and try not to feel incredibly depressed at how Dirk Bogarde, a closeted gay man playing a gay character, was forced to present himself to the world. :smith:

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Tracula posted:

I'm sure people actually do genuinely care knowing how the internet is. And it's sort of his 'character' anyways like how The Nostalgia Critic and AVGN always have the same attire barring special circumstances.

I've...got the same outfit :(
There's two reasons. 1 - "brand recognition", especially if you're playing a "character." 2. The most important reason, and one that David Attenborough himself does - is that it helps with editing. If you have to shoot footage on 2 different days it's not hard to remember to just put the same thing on.
I suppose another reason is that some people like having a uniform, as it means they don't have to think about what clothing they're going to wear, whether that's for a video, or going to work, or whatever else.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
I've only seen West Side Story live (community production) - haven't seen the movie. What can I say - I haven't seen a lot of musicals for some reason.
Excellent video though, Kyle.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
DRUZE STRUZON.

I create art for my show, and it takes longer than the filming does. I certainly wouldn't do it for anyone else, unless they were prepared to fork out a *lot* of cash cause that poo poo takes ages.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
That was surprisingly...not as bad as I expected. That MC kid had some game. Nice Gangs of New York tap number as well, but when most of the kids sung it sounded like air being let out of a balloon.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Celery Face posted:

Hey Infamous Sphere, not sure if there'd be enough material from the latter, but ever thought of doing an episode on Commando or Spartacus? (the movie, not the TV show)

Your videos are interesting to watch in general but especially the ones about old movies. I knew that post WWI Germany was relatively progressive towards LGBT people before the nazis came along but finding out about Different From The Others was really cool.

Uh, I haven't necessarily thought about either of those things - I know Spartacus has a pretty noteworthy scene which came up in The Celluloid Closet, but it might not be enough to spend a whole episode talking about unless I were to try and talk about the whole history of LGBT people in Rome, or something - and I'm not really that up on my ancient history. And homoerotic action movies don't tend to be my bread and butter (besides, so many other people are having such fun talking about them!) Mind you, I haven't seen Commando (or Spartacus), so for all I know there could be a wealth of stuff for me to talk about. Of course, if you are extremely keen to see me talk about a particular movie, I've set up an option on my Patreon where you can choose content for me to review.

I'm glad that you like my episodes on older movies! I feel like it's often valuable to look at older works, to see how much times have changed/or haven't changed, and to compare attitudes at the time to attitudes now. Often people want me to talk about newer stuff, especially stuff that's just been released. I've got two more older movies coming up and then I'm not sure what I'll do next. I'm entertaining the possibility of talking about Mad Men, although trying to do that will probably kill me.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Celery Face posted:

I forgot that you had a Patreon! Now that I have money, I'll get around to making an account at some point.

As for choosing, as much as I love Commando, it's been talked to death over the years. What I'm certain I'll actually pick is a London police adaption of Othello from 2001 (it's on youtube, just look up "othello 2001") that has Christopher Eccleston playing Iago and Eamonn Walker as Othello. I thought it was the stupidest thing ever when I had to watch it in grade 12 English class but I've grown pretty fond of it since then. It's awesome for a TV movie. Everyone in the movie pulls a great performance but Christopher Eccleston is the most memorable thing about it. He's just so over-the-top and so fun to watch as Iago. As for queer themes, it's a common theory that Iago has repressed feelings for Othello but in this version, it's made very clear. Iago gets into a one-sided sexual relationship (he refuses to have anything done to him) with Emilia to get info about her friend, and Othello's wife, Dessie. Plus, Iago is really touchy-feely with Othello. I know it's part of Othello's character that he's blinded by jealously and easily manipulated but there's something hilarious about him not seeing anything off about his coworker giving him a backrub while going on a monologue about how Dessie can't be trusted.

Thanks! Admittedly I haven't had a patreon for very long and I probably haven't spruiked it that widely yet. I also was silly enough to make it *after* I made my Twitter account private (for job-related reasons. If I get the job I'll probably create a brand new Twitter account without my real name on it.)

That sounds like an interesting pick! I'll confess that I never studied any Shakespeare (god, I'm making myself look dumber by the minute here), but it definitely fulfils the criteria and would even if it weren't queer. Also Christopher Eccleston is great, and I can completely understand having a soft spot for something you were forced to watch in class. I'll always love 1983 Jane Eyre myself, although in that case it's because it's so over-the-top and crappy, while somehow being truer to the spirit of the book than many of the other adaptations.

echopapa posted:

I don’t think movie sound quality in the 1930s was quite ready to handle children’s voices, especially not the kind of sound quality they were using for a skinflint twenty-minute short.

Yeah, I did assume it was more to do with the production quality than the actual singing. Those harmony cowgirls were quite good.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

echopapa posted:

And I just got a message from a guy asking me to enlarge the parts of Toyland Casino that show the kids' feet.

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnope.

That guy sounds like a real world history teacher.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Ah yes, movies depicting any form of homosexuality, vague or otherwise, are ripe for teenage laughter. I'll confess that as a teenager, I did get into a bit of trouble (cue annoyed shushing) by rubbishing a couple of the movies I was forced to watch in class. I think that's not uncommon though. The worst is when the movie is genuinely unintentionally funny, and then you get in trouble for laughing.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Eww, that episode. Got to love their perv-cam on those alleged 15 year olds (I'm sure they were played by over 18s so that they could *legally* do the perv-cam) in their absurdly high cut and very uncomfortable looking swimming costumes.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Miss Wallace posted:

And especially considering lifeguards in Australia are volunteers too. The Hawaii seasons were originally going to be in Australia, but last minute they weren't allowed to shoot there because locals thought they'd damage the ecosystem.

Eh, don't they know, no one in Australia takes anything seriously! We're just lying about being drunk all of the time?!? Even though if you put that stereotype of Australia together with the stereotype that everything in the country is going to give you a severe case of instant death, surely that would mean that all the non-indigenous Australians would be dead by now?
National stereotyping makes no sense.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Tracula posted:

Every culture is stereotyped as being drunks basically. The only variance is the drink of choice.

Hmm, I don't think English people are stereotyped as being drunk. Or most Asian cultures or the middle east. Or even Italians or French. They drink, but they don't drink to get drunk.
Drunk stereotypes = Irish, Scottish, Russian, maybe Polish and sometimes Australian. Sometimes indigenous cultures are thrown in as well.

Miss Wallace posted:

I never heard the drunk stereotype, usually the stereotype I hear is like all Australians are rugged adventurers with boomerangs. Kangaroos, mate.

Maybe us being drunk is an internal stereotype? Like...there's an actual culture of drinking here, binge drinking especially. The six o'clock swill was held up as an example of Australia's drunkenness and love of beer. We also didn't really have prohibition here (not that having prohibition makes you not-drunk, the opposite really) except for a short stint in my home territory, the ACT, organised by this guy called King O'Malley. Now there's a pub named after him.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

I think it is actually directly related to Australia's out doorsy perception, that people think of them as heavy drinkers. In America and a few other places it's assumed if you live in a rural environment you're a drunk. Hence why so many white minority groups in America are assumed to be drunks. Appalachians are getting drunk off tree-bark moonshine made in their backyard stills, Midwest farmers are constantly drinking between murder suicides, trailer park dwellers are spending all their unemployment on booze, and southern yokels only survive their drunk driving by virtue of being the only ones on the road.

Also as for the Italians and French I've heard plenty of Americans characterize them as perpetual drunks.

That's a reasonable starting point, but like Neddy Seagoon says, the stereotype of the drunk bogan is probably more something of the outer suburbs. Outer suburbs are where people stereotyped as "deros" (derelicts) would live - Damo and Darren at the Station is a pretty good example of the stereotype.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Great Baywatching episode...but what was the sketch/piece of paper that flew over Eddie's face? Did I miss something?

Testekill posted:

Because there's nothing to do in Tasmania. It's almost as bad as when I went to Canberra.

Hey! Canberra is where it's at!

Oh who am I kidding, Canberra is not where it's at. But it has its advantages. Very pretty city, and while it's cold as a bastard in winter it's beautifully sunny and clear.

Infamous Sphere fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 16, 2015

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Canberra is a hellish pit full of bloodsucking vermin. It's also built on a swamp and riddled with mosquitoes.

Built on a swamp....
uh...this is one of the driest cities there is. It never rains here. Practically no humidity. Exactly unlike DC.
If you're going to insult it, why can't you go with "a good sheep paddock spoiled" like everyone else?

Infamous Sphere fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 17, 2015

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Miss Wallace posted:

Baywatching: Reunion (Again). Mitch goes to his high school reunion and gets bullied!
http://phelous.com/2015/05/16/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-reunion-again/

Oh my god, new Baywatching already?!

Intro question! What I want to know is why do people keep wiggling their heads whenever they drink cups of tea? (Oh who am I kidding they're not cups of tea, as if any character on Baywatch could possibly have good enough taste to enjoy tea.)

"I'm going to have so many saves!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
I can't remember which of you out there wanted to see more videos of people trying food and drink, but in any case, I've just done a taste test of Cadbury's new and very exciting Vegemite chocolate!
Yes, you read that right. Vegemite Chocolate.

• Locked thread