Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Man of Steel is a bad movie, but it is in no way playing on 9/11 traumas and suggesting otherwise is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I sure do love those internet critics, God and feminism.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ZakAce posted:

Seeing as noone's posted this:

New Cinemadonna! A League of Their Own: http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/cinemadonna-a-league-of-their-own-7176582

Next up: Body of Evidence. YESSSS :getin:

Body of Evidence is going to be AMAZING. I hope Todd gets Lindsay to join him in some form, just to pay off some continuity from way back.

Also it's kind of weird to see him refer to A League of Their Own as a cultural classic deeply embedded in the very heart of American pop culture because I had literally never heard of the movie until I was looking at the films Madonna was in to know what Todd was going to review.

I mean it seems like the kind of thing I would have seen at some point, but I never have.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BigRed0427 posted:

I always had a fondness for Future War. I can't explain why.

I guess my view of MST3K will always be diffrent because I didn't know who they were until college and was watching through Youtube rips and DVDs.

*Shot of the nun and her rather portly male friends* "The sad thing is that they're ALL former prostitutes"

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Girl from Lover's Lane is kinda sad. Also Red Zone Cuba is either a profound statement on the ultimate pointlessness of life, or just a lovely movie.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Random but important question: Does Richard Harris count as a one-hit wonder, and if so, is there any chance Todd will ever cover Macarthur's Park on One Hit Wonderland?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

WickedHate posted:

Anno reminds me a lot of Andrew Hussie, making a lot of profit and success off fans he's treats like trash.

That is good, because fans are trash.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Ghostbusters is actually a reaganite argument for de-regulation.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Kyle continues teaching us how to speak movie. In this one we learn about Mise En Scene.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
He is called Confused Matthew because human storytelling and emotions perplex and anger him.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Omnicrom posted:

My knowledge of Confused Matthew is comprised entirely of the facts he hated The Avengers movie and an all-time champion bad poster over on ADTRW considers his words to be gospel.

Tell me more about the latter :allears:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Testekill posted:

New One Hit Wonderland is up for Todd patreons. It's Blue by Eiffel 65. You know

i'm blue da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die

EDIT: If I had the money then I'd love to suggest Black Betty by Spiderbait just because it'll be worth him going through their past songs. Like you'd expect them to be a alternative rock band but instead most of their more successful songs in Australia were pop-electronica.

I'd also love Tomorrow by Silverchair since they were like 15 when it topped the charts and they look back on it unfavourably.

Is anyone else who gives Todd money on Patreon having trouble accessing this one? I typed in the password he gave, but it doesn't seem to work.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jimbot posted:

Watching the Bloodborne previously_rec stream and I don't think I agree with them that Bloodborne requires grinding to defeat bosses. I think it is set up in a way that you would be going through the same area multiple times because of unlocking shortcuts or looking for secrets and things you miss. You certainly could grind, for health potions and things like that, but I don't think it's required. Rich Evans even implied that you cannot master the game in the same way you could master the Xbox version of Ninja Gaiden. I don't think I agree with that. Aside from a few enemy types (those NPC hunters, gently caress those guys) every boss has patterns and attacks that leave opens, some smaller than others, that you can learn and get through with minimal damage.

Jack just comes off as someone who hates the game because he died but loves it when he's succeeding. The game has some problems but I don't think difficulty is one of them besides the mentioned hunter NPCs, who are too tough if you ask me (since they aren't limited to managing stamina and ammo like the player is).

It definitely does require grinding for health potions and bullets.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It is depressing how much LordKat has let his hate dominate his life.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I like to imagine that somewhere, there's a Japanese Western Film Club in some High school that insists that Boondock Saints and Sucker Punch are works of art.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Kim Justice posted:

They got taken out of the game by the competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFqdWjNjnKg

How could you say that and then not post this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwoqyGQgEp8

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BobbyK posted:

drat, it's little gems like this that make following this awful thread worth it. Thank you so much.

BillyMC is a magical ray of sunshine that makes the rest of youtube a little bit brighter.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

OldTennisCourt posted:

BillyMC and LimePopsicle are delightful :allears: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHz9dyfYLRQ

It's impossible to not smile at these videos.

BillyMC and Lime are great, because they're both happy-go-lucky cornballs who seem to exist in a different time and place then the rest of us, and they somehow found each other and make videos together sometimes.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Annointed posted:

Because illiterate nerds don't seem to get the fact that a spear trumps a sword in pretty much all situations by virtue of poking someone to death.

But muh animus says sword a best.

On another note those reaction videos. Can't they at least once bother to actually address the points without twisting her words like they always do?
Sword fights are more visually interesting. That's really the reason

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cyron posted:

about what? gaming is art. assholes on the internet is not going to change it as mush this thread wants it to.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cyron posted:

he also give good reviews to the star wars prequals. he is a great critic and the world is less without him but he wasn't right 100% of the time.

also rodger ebert is cool and can say "i love dead puppies" and still be better man then most gamers.

Sorry, the Star Wars Prequels were great, and videogames are garbage.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Gyges posted:

Battletoads has a fandom? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I just remember it as that game with the vehicle level that cause me and my brother to quit playing because we couldn't beat it. I remember it being pretty fun up until toad destroying application of inertia via walls.

Eh, it does some interesting stuff, it's an early Rare effort, and the hardness appeals to "hardcore gamers"

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

e X posted:

Seriously, you are actually going to link a 4chan post as a legitimate source? This is about as useful as the info you got of your friend whose uncle worked for Nintendo.

Let me tell you about that copypaste they like to throw around about Doug and Linkara loving.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

achillesforever6 posted:

http://blip.tv/brows-held-high/the-avengers-between-the-lines-7189206
Interesting video on superheros by Kyle

E: I learned more about the MCU and superhero movies than any musing from CD on how "bad" the MCU is and how I should not like these bad movies which are killing the art that is cinema

I don't know about cinema, I just really hope they start failing because most of them bore me to tears and I keep getting dragged to them.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jay O posted:

Puh-reach. Saw a facebook friend's early review from an Age of Ultron screening, and he said it was super-duper lorey and overcomplicated and bloated, with that specific homogeneous Marvelverse tone as homogeneous as it's ever been. This is a guy who's really into the Marvel-movieverse for that reason, so it was a kinda-positive review, just cautioning others. But his take was "Guardians of the Galaxy times 20, in both the good and bad ways." Uggggggggh. Not my bag. Will be so glad when the superhero movie bubble pops and we maybe get some kind of trend that's not so much the exact same bowl o' cereal in every film. I know it's all product, but give me a different flavor every now and then for chrissake.

It kind of hurts that I'm not very interested in most of the characters heading up the MCU. I like the Hulk, but he's been out of the spotlight for a while. GoG was a bit better because it was composed of characters I barely knew anything about. Was kind of hoping for Dr. Strange to be worth something, but Benedict Cumberbatch, while a decent actor, bodes ill.

Also yeah, same bowl of cereal in every film.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm totally okay with riding the superhero film train over and over again, because they're actually fun to watch. I'd rather watch a million fun movies about dudes in brightly colored costumes beating up hammy supervillains than the glut of dreary cynical bullshit that just seemed so everpresent for a while.

One person's fun is another person's tv troper elbowing you violently in the ribs and telling you how much fun we're having.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

OldTennisCourt posted:

I mean, is the glut of superhero movies THAT bad? There's plenty of other blockbusters, horror films, comedies, indie films and stuff out there to watch. Superhero stuff makes up a fraction of what is out there.

It really wouldn't be if my nerd friends didn't keep dragging me to them.

I realize this is my problem and no one else's, but it sucks anyway.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Sounds more like you're just insufferable and mardy. It takes a real git to get angry at folks enjoying something and shouting loudly into space about how they should hate it and how worthless it is.

It is really, really, deeply okay that you are enjoying movies I don't enjoy. I don't like them. Neither of us are assholes for this fact.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I dunno, wanting things to fail just because your friends like you enough to have you around and engage in things they like kinda makes you an rear end in a top hat.

Oh my GOD.

Yes, I am a monster for not liking a movie. What a terrible, terrible person I am for not enjoying a movie. Where the gently caress do I get off.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Do not even ask posted:

you could tell them that you hate superhero movies instead of sitting in the theatre with your arms crossed all miserable

I don't want to be a party pooper and I like to hang out with them at any rate.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Why are you guys trying to burn this guy over Marvel movies?

Wait for my next act, when I say everyone who likes Gurren Lagann is Literally A Nazi.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DStecks posted:

You didn't say you don't like them. You said you want them to fail. I viciously dislike Nicholas Sparks movies, but I don't give a flying gently caress about if other people go see them, or how much money they make.

I am just going to stop right now, because it is clear that nothing I say will make people stop jumping down my throat over this,

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mutation posted:

When the superhero movies start bombing at the box office we're probably going to see a whole lot of these movies canceled.

I have no confidence in Ant Man or Fantastic Four succeeding either.

Careful, Warren J. Marvel-Disney will hear you and shut down all of them forever and fire everyone who makes them.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

And you say you're not an rear end in a top hat. :allears:

As for internet critics, there's a new Previously Recorded out, this time on Bloodborne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTf-_FnGz68

Even though I don't usually agree with Jack on gaming fronts, I have to say, I do agree with him a lot on his feelings of discovering poo poo for yourself in games, that's the most fun you can have right there. And after their talk about it, I now really feel that he and Rich would absolutely adore La Mulana. Or hate it. I'm not sure.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

FirstAidKite posted:

Hey todd you fucker when you gonna do a one hit wonderland on rusted root

The greatest tragedy of SA was when the old Internet Critic thread on PYF closed down right when Todd was thinking of getting an account.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Well, tbf people didn't know about aatrek.

That dude who hosed a dog stuck around for a while though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cubey posted:

Todd's new video is up, and as I suspected it is a top 10 worst list. 1991, hoo boy.

I have to say I was unaware Bette Midler was a proud deist.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cubey posted:

what

I envy you if you've seriously gone your whole life until now without hearing that song

I've probably heard it at some point, but it's generic enough that I don't know it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sarcopenia posted:

Oh god. There was this facebook thing going around amongst my friends where you could check which song was the number one hit the day of your birth and Todd's #1 was my loving song. Everyone else I know born that year got some pretty lovely songs too but everyone agreed that mine was the worst :(

I remember my uncle did this, and was vaguely hopeful because he was borne when the Rolling Stones and the Beatles were in full swing.

This is what he got https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQB2-Kmiic

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Benny the Snake posted:

Hey internet reviewers and critics alike on this thread, I have a very importiant question involved in criticism--is it fair to base your opinion on a given work not on the source material but on the adaptation? Particuarly when the aesthetics of said source material are personally so repugnant that the adaptation not only as faithful to the source material as possible but much, much more palatable?

Can you be a bit more specific? It's kind of hard to judge without a case or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think that'd be a pretty cool song for Todd to look at on OHW.

You know, it would be.

• Locked thread