Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Does Clint even direct his own movies anymore? I get the feeling he just sends his second unit off to go do the "one take and we're done" thing, taps his piano a few times to "record" a soundtrack, and calls it a day. And then he rakes in the Oscar nominations because The Academy is a bigger lemon party than the actual Lemon Party.

I can't even remember the last Clint movie that felt like he was trying. Million Dollar Baby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
TB is a weirdo but in a list of "Insane poo poo Goons Post on SA" that post probably won't make the top 50

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Attack on Titan has one of the titans literally designed like Brock Lesnar so that show is cool in my book

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I started watching SAO with my girlfriend a couple weeks ago, and once they got to the cousin romance subplot I had Elfen Lied flashbacks.

Way to derail a show I was otherwise enjoying up to that point.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Jay O posted:

Watch Log Horizon if you enjoyed .hack. That show is all about the in-depth mechanics of how literally living in an MMO would function, with a bunch of likable goons in the cast.

Sword Art Online is extremely basic and derpily written self-insert fantasy that happens to take place in a video game, but it's not in-depth nerdy like .hack. It's Nondescript Supernerd Heroically Saves Girls Who Want to Bone Hime Anime #11,320, just with a VR-MMO backdrop. Entertaining, yes. Good and makes you feel good watching it, no. Log Horizon is definitely what you're looking for.

It's one of those shows where it feels like they forgot what the plot was halfway through

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Hulu and Crunchyroll ad cuts basically saved Viz/Funimation back in the day when licensors were going belly-up every other week.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'll go ahead and say wrestling analysis belongs in this thread, since that medium hits more nerd checkboxes than you'd think (obsessive fans, peaks and valleys of mainstream coverage, complex and sometimes convoluted mythology).

Work of Wrestling is a pretty good attempt at treating pro wrestling like a legitimate art form and analyzing the storylines with a straight face.

http://www.workofwrestling.com/

Personally, I think pro wrestling is at a fascinating period right now. WWE and their outdaded philosophies still dominate the mainstream view of wrestling, but there has been a resurgence of indie wrestling, New Japan is gaining more American attention, and Lucha Underground is breaking ground with the way they inject grindhouse/telenovela elements into wrestling, creating a product that's fresh and exciting.

Basically the way JO feels about anime, I feel the way about wrestling. There was a dark period for a long time, but things are slowly recovering and today there are more ways to watch wrestling than ever. A new boom period feels like it's just around the corner if the right stars click and the booking is on-point.

By "right stars" I mean Shinsuke Nakamura and Prince Puma. Sorry Vince, nobody cares about Roman Reigns.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Testekill posted:

Miss Wallace, what's with all the Irate Gamer jokes that Phelous makes? Is it just because IG is a twat? Recently he started selling cutscene art from his failed Iphone game without consulting the artist who drew them.

The Irate Gamer is still around? :psyduck:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Lindsay's dad succumbed to Parkinson's :(

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
People would probably hate TTG less if CN wasn't airing it about 500 times a day

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Testekill posted:

Stop talking about a lovely cartoon guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyxb87bddp4

Talk about lovely wrestling instead.

My God, this PPV.

There's lovely wrestling that's at least funny to watch (Jenna vs. Sharmell in TNA is a good example), and then there's lovely wrestling that's just sad, because it's a bunch of broken-down old dudes who have no business being in the ring. Heroes of Wrestling is a prime example of making you feel bad for everyone involved.

Speaking of which, we finally got the modern-day counterpart to Bushwackers/Sheik/Koloff with last year's Villanos/Psycho Circus match at TripleMania. One of the Villanos is a literal stroke victim and still allowed to "wrestle," and the match is a huge disaster. Dave Meltzer gave it his first minus-five star rating since that infamous Heroes of Wrestling show.

I'd share a YouTube link but I don't hate you guys that much.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Gertrude Perkins posted:

With all the prerequisite "I am laid low by the matriarchy" antifeminist rants, yeah.

He wears the beanie to hide a hilarious skullet, doesn't he

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think Zack Snyder should make good movies, and not bad movies that require mental gymnastics to spin as good movies.

Welp that's my hot take, I'll hang up and listen.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Testekill posted:

edit: His next video is on the Brawl for All tournament which should be amazing. If you've never heard of it, Brawl for All was an attempt by the WWF to cash in on the growing popularity of UFC where they'd have people legit beat the poo poo out of each other and it was such a horrible idea.

Yeah, this was something else. Here was just a few of the details.

-- Vince was really high on "Dr. Death" Steve Williams because he had a rep as a major tough guy, and thought he would easily win the tournament. The apparent plan was that they'd use Williams' win to launch him into a title feud with Steve Austin.

-- In the semifinals, Williams got knocked out by Bart Gunn, a totally forgettable midcarder. Bart went on to win the tournament and Williams did nothing else of note in the WWF.

-- Nearly everyone in the tourney got hurt for real and had to miss significant TV time. It also led to bad blood in the locker room because, you know, wrestling isn't supposed to be real and a lot of dudes were bitter at being shown up.

-- After winning the tournament, Bart Gunn got booked in another Brawl For All match at the next WrestleMania ... against legit boxer Butterbean, who KOed him in 35 seconds. There's a theory that Vince did this to punish Bart for ruining Williams' push, a theory that's supported by Bart getting fired from the company shortly afterwards.

So yeah, total clusterfuck all around.

Benne fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 28, 2016

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Todd reviews "Bad and Boujee"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb8phYbXpx8

Sadly it's another one of those "ugh, I just don't get it" videos, but I think he's finally getting to the truth of why these recent reviews aren't clicking -- the whole trap genre doesn't do anything for him, but it's what's dominating the charts right now.

It's like when EDM was on top and Todd had nothing to say other than "it's not for me :shrug:"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Testekill posted:

We are all Todd here

Maybe I'm just as old as Todd, but I'd also like to get back to a time when pop music had, you know, actual "pop."

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Augus posted:

I am completely baffled by the fact that this exists. There's literally no benefit to owning it. Not even for the laziest person alive, it doesn't do anything. There are actual people who thought this would be worth risking their money on?

Silicon Valley VCs with too much money make stupid investments all the time. From everything I've heard, the HBO show is eerily accurate in its satire.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm still trying to figure out what market Juicero was supposed to target. Rich white people? They already have an overpriced juicer in their house. Hipster Whole Foods regulars? They're making their own juice recipes and have no use for your prepackaged crap. Regular consumers? lol no.

This is one of those harebrained products that was designed to appeal to the investors and exactly no one else.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Imagine spending $400 on DRM Capri Sun

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Wrestling With Wregret reviews the Surf's Up sequel that became a WWE movie ... somehow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSUWFTbjWrs

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Let's stop fighting in this thread and watch videos about fake fighting instead.

Wrestling With Wregret looks back at Herb Abrams' Universal Wrestling Federation, an infamously bad money mark promotion that stayed alive way longer than it had any right to, run by a literal crazy person. (Google Herb Abrams if you want to see a ... unique way to die.)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Dragonatrix posted:

If all it takes to talk about something is a link, then sure.

New One Hit Wonderland!

This is one of those songs that I might vaguely remember hearing on a Tony Hawk game, but otherwise have no recollection of.

A lot of those pop-punk bands just kinda blended together after a while.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

MiddleOne posted:

Isn't that the movie that had that trailer that completely bizarrely switches its tone half-way in?

EDIT: Haha yes it loving is, everyone should watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd60i3ZnLOE

How the hell did Dean Norris get roped into this? Did he already blow through his Breaking Bad money?

E: I read the spoilers and this goes straight into :psyboom: territory. In case anyone cares (you should because what the gently caress)

The kid dies of a tumor early in the movie. BUT WAIT, he left a bunch of tape recordings detailing the crime next door and how to catch the abusive father -- this is why Naomi Watts is wearing the earbuds in that trailer. So not only is this insufferable shitface of a kid the focus of the movie, he's even the focus from beyond the grave.

Dan Olson was right, I have to see this now.

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 18, 2017

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Maybe I'm showing my age here (will turn 30 next month! Real geezer here!) but I've rapidly lost interest in games with a heavy "storytelling" emphasis, because most of them don't actually have a compelling story and age poorly as a result . Just give me something with fun gameplay, good controls and strong replay value, and I'll probably enjoy it. Everything else is window dressing.

I'm still playing Super Mario World after 20+ years, and that barely pretended to have a story. Just saying. I'm probably yelling at clouds here, so judge my hot takes accordingly.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
MarzGurl, now there's a name I haven't heard in a while. I thought she quit the business after JewWario's death, or am I thinking of someone else?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If we're recommending new, unique stuff then get on my level and watch The Nobodies, drag queens reviewing wrestling.

It's as awesome as it sounds. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBnBe0NLOLk0KqlKs4KiXLg

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Wrestling With Wregret has a new video about Zack Ryder, one of the strangest career arcs in modern WWE history. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L69X9Qv1kws

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

financially racist posted:

awww yeah this is totally my poo poo. also lmao i remember that terrible single from this album and thinking 'what the hell is jewel thinking with this poo poo'.

i wonder what other artists are primed for this series.

Didn't Jewel try to claim that the whole thing was "satire" when the predictable backlash hit?

What a weird era of pop music.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Mraagvpeine posted:

What are some prime targets for Todd's new series?

That's actually a good question. I can think of a lot of acts who had terrible albums that tanked their mainstream appeal, but still had long careers after that.

I almost wanna say The Killers since Sam's Town almost instantly wiped out the goodwill from their debut album, but those fuckers are still chugging along today.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
You could probably do a whole series on those mid-2000s bands everyone thought would be The Next Big Thing and then ... weren't. (remember Franz Ferdinand?)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Zedd posted:

The Beginning pretty much killed the Black Eyed Peas didn't it?

That, plus the infamously bad Super Bowl performance. At that point we as a society decided that we'd finally had enough of them.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Remember The Escapist? Probably not, it's been a while since anyone thought about them. Anyway, they apparently gutted almost their entire paid staff and the website is on life support with only volunteers left running the joint.

Yahtzee is still there for reasons.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, I guess if Yahtzee wanted to go independent, he probably would've done so a long time ago.

It's just funny that the Escapist drove off all their notable writers/content creators and then acted shocked when people stopped visiting the website.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Didn't Yahtzee try opening up a chain of gaming-themed bars a few years ago? I won't be surprised if he lost his shirt over that investment and is now just sitting on the Escapist contract because that's the one consistent income he has left.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, I can't really fault Yahtzee for staying in his comfort zone. In the chaotic world of content creation, steady paychecks are few and far between, so if he can still pull a consistent audience doing the same tried-and-true gimmick, then more power to him.

Also the Internet has been around long enough that we should know Fast-Talking Accent Guy With Funny Pictures is an evergreen market.

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 22, 2017

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This thread needs way more wrestling love

Wrestling With Wregret (Patreon) -- A mix of reviewing current shows, retrospectives, and Top 8 lists. Notable for Brian Zane being a former wrestler/manager himself, so he brings a unique perspective to things.

The Nobodies (Patreon) -- Drag queens reviewing wrestling fashion. No more needs to be said.

Showbuckle (Patreon) -- Video essays on New Japan Pro Wrestling, with an emphasis on dissecting long-term storylines. Well-researched, easy to watch and great editing, this channel is a must-follow for anyone interested in NJPW.

Real Neat Puro (Patreon) -- Similar to Showbuckle, but with more of a "beginner's guide to NJPW" approach.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Todd has a new Trainwreckords out, featuring MC Hammer's infamous pivot to gangsta rap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB1gGUKK7jg

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Shut the gently caress up Kim

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I for one am shocked that a white dude from Massachusetts has some weird hangups about class and privilege

Benne fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/977014907504943104

I could've sworn he already left years ago, but it's official now

• Locked thread