Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr. Fowl posted:

That's the theory I hold to as well--since the human battery theory in the film is a bit silly. You'd get more energy by burning the food that people eat than what you get from the body, let alone when you factor in what is lost in the growing process--all real estate that could be put to use for more practical forms of energy production, like synthetic petroleum or geothermal stuff.

The original premise was hooking them up for processing power, but the story goes that the producers were too dumb to understand this and wouldn't sign off on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jack Gladney posted:

What would they need more clock speed for anyway? Like, what does an eternal machine empire do with itself after it takes over the world? Just keep killing Zion over and over because that's all there is to do?

Self-maintaining processing? Humans are an easily-reproducible resource and it's just plug-and-play to replace them, going by the battery farms in the first movie. With silicon hardware (or any futuristic equivalent) eventually something's gonna break down and cause a major malfunction. Not to mention the complex effort of having to mine and process the limited planetary resources for new parts. But yeah, not much of a end-game there once you've got all that processing except to sit around looking smug and squish the humans for fun.

Besides, that was the point of Zion and wasn't an awful idea all things considered compared to some other parts of the sequels. They knew humans were going to escape anyway, so they gave them somewhere pre-planned to escape to. Once it gets too big, they just knock it down and start again to maintain equilibrium. :shrug:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dijon du jour posted:

Wait, there's a TV show now? And it doesn't even star Noah Wyle? :psyduck: Thanks for mentioning it I need to go check that out.

Oh wait no I can't because TNT won't let me watch online unless I have cable. Thanks TNT you're a real peach. :argh:

Actually it does have him in a few episodes. I haven't seen the movies, but I quite like the TV show. It's very low budget, but the writing's pretty good and you can tell there's actual effort being put into it with what little budget they have to work with :allears:. I'm hoping it does well enough for a second season.

Plus it has Bruce Cambell as Santa Claus.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Escapist has been imploding for a while now, and the big issue seems to be the people upstairs. Jim Sterling quit after his boss at the Escapist willingly let the Gamergate debacle engulf the site, and then even hosted the opinions of a developer/journalist/somebodycan'trememberproperly who had publicly slandered Jim. Recently, they had a huge number of layoffs at the site for longtime employees, and they have been bleeding content for years without replacing it. There is almost nothing on the site anymore that hasn't been rehosted somewhere else first. Any time one of their big draws leaves or gets shitcanned, they just throw more Top Ten lists or repeats of old Game Theory episodes. Most of LoadingReadyRun's stuff is on Youtube already, and even the Critical Miss guy, douchebag he can be, is considering leaving the site and just going to patreon.

If there's a trend I've noticed over the past year it is content producers striking out on their own. People breaking away from Machinima, The Escapist burning off all its talent, and Channel Awesome being pretty much irrelevant anymore, these hosting sites are on their last legs.

Loading Ready Run does just fine on their own. iirc, only about four of them are actual full-time this-is-our-job employees, the rest are just their mates helping out for individual videos. Their last year of weekly videos was done off a Kickstarter just so they'd have a decent budget on them for once, and the only reason they're stopping them (aside from going ten years strong) is because they do a bunch of other projects as well now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DStecks posted:

I loved Star Trek Into Darkness and thought it pantsed Trek09 despite its messy script. :shrug:

We must get a sample of Khan's blood and not one from the 72 people we have readily available!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BigRed0427 posted:

I think the bigger problem with Bioshock Infinite is that the fight between the Vox VS the Founders is a bigger part of the story than it should be. The true core to Infinite's story was Comstock and Dewit.

Spoilered for your protection.

I think what the game wanted to focus more on was how Comstock/Dewit's rage and violent behavior effects the world around him. To Dewit, peaceful decisions are not an option. For example, take the raffle at the start of the game. Your choices are to either throw the baseball at the interracial couple or at the guy running the raffle. You don't get the option to just put the ball back or even pretend to miss. His answer to every problem is to leave a corpse. When Dewit becomes Comstock in another timeline, He becomes a man of god but his behavior doesn't change. Even though he becomes a holy man, doesn't drink or gamble, his answer for everything is still to rack up a body count and that it's god's will that his enemies die. And everyone that followed him learned that violent streak as well.

I think at the end of the day Ken Levine had little interest in actually crafting a story that looked at everything wrong with Americana and instead wanted to tell a story of two violent men and how their actions shape the world around them. They just picked the setting of Columbia because they thought it looked cool and for whatever reason, the fight between The Vox and the founders took center stage. Didn't someone say their were major rewrites to the story late in development?

The biggest problem is they took at least three different drafts of the same game and welded them together with a parallel universe premise. Considering how hosed the development was, it was probably the smart move though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

emeriin posted:

@Jack Generic events: Doug insulted her acting in his reviews, his fanboys harassed her with his ~gospel~, she got rightfully angry, a load of people then bombarded her with "it's just a character!" and she apologized. And then Doug put her in his "Simple Wish" review as schooling him at the end.

Or what testekill said.

Oh I remember this one. If I recall right, it was actually a little on Mara Wilson too for misunderstanding them by misreading it as "Doug's such a character :v:" instead of their actual explanation of "Doug's portraying a character".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hbomberguy posted:

Oh yes, I remember this now. I was referring to the people in metropolis who were dying when Superman went to go save the world, and you got hung up on the word 'american' and went on a rant about how I could have said 'westerner', but actually shouldn't have said that either because of immigration(?). This was all to get around the basic joke I was making, that posters in the thread were really pissed off that Superman abandoned people and flew away - even though it was to save literally the entire planet. I guess I could have said 'people of metropolis', but what I wrote sounded better at the time. When I retracted the word, in the hopes you'd deal with the actual point of the post, you said 'your posts have improved my opinion of the movie' - strange, you didn't mention that part.

There's two macguffins to blow up. One is in the middle of the ocean and an easy airborne kill. The other in a densely-populated city and much tougher to take down. They sent Superman to the one out in the ocean :cripes:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gyges posted:

Yes in Smallville Superman is temporarily blinded by rage. He stops talking to Lois in mid sentence and takes off. He then yells at Zod for a good 5 miles about attacking Ma Kent. It's only after he sees Pete Ross that he realizes what he's done and then he does try and minimize the damage. Personally I rather like this fight because it shows him learning, realizing that he always has to be in control and can't let his emotions get the better of him.

Superman punches Zod into exactly 1 building in the fight, which is the station at the end on their reentry from space. He scraps Zod's face across the glass of another and does cause an explosion into the side of a third building, which Zod is in the process of destroying, through the force of hitting Zod. The initial act of moving the fight from the ruined crater portion of the city to the ruined portion is also the act of Zod and not Superman.

Zod is the one who is knocking Superman into buildings and causing maximum collateral damage. Superman repeatedly tries to keep the fight in the open streets, in the air, and finally in space. Zod thwarts this each time. Finally Superman manages to gain the upper hand during their reentry impact and pins Zod in the train(?) station. At which point Zod starts eye lazering in an attempt to kill people.

Open streets are the worst place possible for a fight though. Especially when you clearly see the streets are full of people fleeing for their lives. Hell, grinding Zod against a glass building just dumps a shitload of lethal glass shards down whoever's unfortunate to be down at street-level.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Annointed posted:

I'm just glad that despite going through a personal hell, she's still able to retain herself and not turn into a bitter husk of a person.

Also Briannu Wu has got a Congresswoman on her side and that politician wishes to help her out regarding law enforcement's callousness to her plight.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/03/10/massachusetts-congresswoman-urges-fbi-to-take-gamergate-seriously/

I would dearly love to see what'd happen if the FBI came down on gamergaters. It'd be a colossal shitstorm everyone could enjoy :munch:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PresidentBeard posted:

I'm guessing gamersgate will be taken seriously right about the same time we see people punished for stalking Chris-chan, as it's pretty much identical crimes and motives for the more elaborate stunts. The people mostly in it for sexism/"ethics in games journalism" seem to mostly stick to making angry youtube videos and shouting in comments, which isn't illegal, despite being appalling human beings.

True, but just going after some of them would kick the entire hornets nest.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KayTee posted:

For the record I have always hated the treatment Chris-chan received - even before the utterly indefensible 'Bluespike' poo poo, and have never bought into the whole "well he's (CWC) a scumbag who does and says scumbag things so it's karma, bitch" excuse used by the folks on Cwicki. Chris would be a hell a less hosed up if not for all that twisted 'enabling/trolling'.

But at the same time - goddamn if it isn't fascinating.

It's me I'm the hypocrite doomed for hell.

Was the bluespike thing the incident involving him getting arrested when he threw a shitfit in a retail store of a sonic figure?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh god. Tabletop playing Cards against Humanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCEqUn7If44

:allears:

Edit: Wil Wheaton is the worst human. :stonk:

Skip to 18:25 to witness the crowning jewel of the game.

edit: Oh god, Will Wheaton IS the worst human being. I lost it at that story :magical:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 20, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So who had Loading Ready Run leaving the Escapist next in the betting pool?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DStecks posted:

Keep in mind that the fan reaction to Evangelion, specifically how fans sexualized Rei and shipped her with her kinda-sorta-clone-son, basically drove Hideaki Anno into a major depressive episode, and the result was End of Evangelion. The series is about dealing with anxiety and depression (the literal apocalypse serving as an apt metaphor for the sense of pervasive dread these engender); and End of Evangelion is about how lovely otaku are.

If I recall right, he was depressed through at least the last third of the show, if not the whole production.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

achillesforever6 posted:

Eureka 7 would be a fun show to discuss, probably my favorite anime other than Hellsing Ultimate and DBZ Abridged

Go watch Hellsing Ultimate: Abridged. It's amazing :allears:. The only real shame is Team FourStar only do a single OVA of it every Halloween.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Compendium posted:

Hopefully I can survive long enough to get into the goddamn robot.

Bandai's funded a five-year project to try and build a full-scale working Gundam. Frankly it's even-money on a teenager stealing it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OldMemes posted:

Holly Christine's bisection of the game on twitter is pretty interesting. Apparently there are five more episodes rready to go. :stare:

So it's not just a regular trainwreck, part of it's jumped the track and is now barreling downhill towards a suburb? :suspense:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jay O posted:

New musical countdown for those who dig such things: The Top 10 Anime Opening Themes of 2004!

EVERYTHING IN THIS VIDEO IS A WHOLE DECADE OLD, ACCEPT IT. :negative:

Wait, what? Origa's dead?!

Noooo.... :negative:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cyron posted:

I am glad i only watched anime in the 2000's on aldut swim. Pandora agents and wolf rain was my ceiling In term of deep anime.

If you want something good that's recent, go check out Death Parade or Mushi-shi.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gianthogweed posted:

Wasn't she wearing a zero suit of some sort in the first metroid when you entered the Justin Bailey code?

Actually it went as far as a bikini depending on if you meet certain Time and Collection % conditions. For all of them through to Super Metroid.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cyron posted:

in the first few games it was treated like armor that can be remove in pieces and with the art that show the x-ray in super metriod she wore something skin tight but it looked like something you where at the gym (at least the gym of the future). when the zero suit was brought in, the power armor became something like the power rangers where it morth away by bressing a button. it fine but instead of something in power rangers that is a belt buckle, it a one piece spandex jumpsuit with build in high heels.

The high-heels only came in with Other M. And the less said about Other M, the better.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jay O posted:

That's absolutely true, but at the same time, Gunpla's definitely available here too! You can even buy Gundam kits and models at Barnes and Noble! (Not the crazy amount of selection they have in Japan, but all the major stuff that gets released at least.) It's just like Gundam movies and TV where a small but passionate contingent of people buy them. It's a niche within a niche.

I'd love to see what went into the decision to stock Gunpla at B&N. Just seems like a really weird choice for them.

But yeah, it's not exactly hard to get a decent selection outside Japan. Most hobby shops in Australia have a decent Gunpla selection too.

Testekill posted:

We just need more series' like G Gundam with the Tequila Gundam.

EDIT: I actually kinda feel like playing Armored Core For Answer now or DW Gundam.

That would be Gundam: Build Fighters :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sad Mammal posted:

There's a critic I'd really like to give a plug for since his latest episode is so well done. I give to you: Thew Adams, Transformers toy reviewer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKv5E1cl3CU

Now I know what you're probably thinking: "Transformers toys? Guy with a neckbeard? Click." But hold on, give him a shot. I have about as much interest in Transformers toys as anyone in this thread (read: none), and I've been a faithful watcher since I saw my first video of his. I don't know what it is about him, but the guy has some of the best, non-cloying enthusiasm for toys that I've ever seen. The guy loves him some Transformers and his outright joy is enough to suddenly make me care about something that I will never, ever care about. So I hope you'll give him a watch and maybe you, too, will come to have a new-found adoration of light piping and revulsion to kibble.

This video's a bit longform for him, so I'll give out a conditional: If you aren't enthused about a guy geeking out on toys after the opening segment on the train bots in the opening section in this video then he PROBABLY isn't going to win you over. Just as word of warning if you start hankering for more videos after this: he rarely goes on outright hiatuses, but he has a day job that takes up a pretty big chunk of his life, so his updates tend to be a little long in coming sometimes.

Someone posted that exact video a page or two back :ssh:. Thew's knockoff beatdowns are great entertainment.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Starship Troopers: Roughneck Chronicles was a surprisingly good show. How come more people haven't covered Starship Troopers? It was a miniz craze in the late 90s, with a good movie and a decent tv series, and its been popular enough to have three sequels and an OVA ripoff based on the film version and the book, respectively. The only internet critics I've seen touch it are Mike J and Decker Shadow. By the way, check that second guy out. He's a fairly standard critic, but he's covered a lot of interesting sf and horror films on his channel.

Roughneck Chronicles was really good, and its an awful shame it got canned in the final stretch before it could finish properly. Seriously, it just ends about three quarters into the final Campaign arc on Earth.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone remember the Heavy Gear CGI series on Fox Kids? I think it had a similar sort of visual style.

You, me, and maybe two other people in the world :sigh:. And I'll see your Heavy Gear and raise you War Planets: Shadow Raiders.

DRAGONS FOREVER!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OldTennisCourt posted:

Netflix's selection is slowly getting pretty awesome. Both FMA, Erureka Seven, , All three ARISE films (those any good?), Death Note etc.

Youtube has both Ghost in the Shell series on in full too in dub format uploaded by Funimation.

The Arise OVA's are a new continuity, but yes they're good.

Jay O posted:

Regardless! The links in this top four go to my reviews/writeups for the show, but all these shows are legally available streaming from either Funimation or Crunchyroll. I'll be reviewing the #1 entry all season long for daily streaming, so that link just goes to my review, but the others link to the multiple-reviewer pages for preview guide, so the one I wrote on any given page is marked "Hope Chapman." You can read everyone's impressions of All The Spring Things here, though! Lots of folks with lots of different reactions and takes. :)

1. Blood Blockade Battlefront (action/sci fi dramedy from the creator of Trigun, superbly well-directed and researched, lovable cast, just look at this loving credit song, <3)

That loving credit song will stay with you for days :allears:. It's just a shame the opening theme's pretty generic, because the rest of the soundtrack is fantastically jazzy. It also really needs a good two-cour run (26 episodes) instead of the mere 13 it's getting, but at the very least it'll probably hit most of the "big" stories from the manga thus far.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PassTheRemote posted:

I liken the ending of AoT anime like the ending of a horror movie, so while I never read the manga, I was not bothered by it.

Is there going to be another season of AoT?

iirc, they're waiting on the manga for more content.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PassTheRemote posted:

I know Big O got its second season due to it's popularity in the US, with Cartoon Network co-producing the second season.

Did Cartoon Network have a hand in Space Dandy too, or was it just the simuldub?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

So sage put out another anime abandon video, this one looking at a title called landlock, which is only notable for having shiro masamune do the character design. Honestly, its probably the worst review that bennett has done in a long time, though its not surprising since he literally just plucked it off the shelf. But his jokes weren't funny and he was regressing into the "screaming manchild" internet critic archetype. He's way better when he's talking about a show he loves or has an in depth knowledge of. His "look at stupid poo poo and guffaw" reviews usually fall flat unless the source material is bonkers enough on its own, like ultimate teacher.

Yeah, this one really just felt like filler to kill time until Tatsunoko Month.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jay O posted:

Yeah, the movie was originally a 2.5 hour cut with a lot more character DO-RA-MA in it, and they made Whedon cut that stuff down to the bare minimum with greater focus on the action and plot. That's why he's said he won't be working on future Avengers films. His beautiful, brilliant character angst was cut. What remains in the film is like all Whedon character drama: effective if you're 13, eye-rolling if you're not.

Thank christ, frankly. Avengers 2 was a fine movie, but it was actively worsened by his terrible tone-less dialogue. (One of the greatest things about the first Avengers film was how heavily Whedon's "writing voice" was reined in, so everyone still sounded like themselves. In Avengers 2, he ran hog-wild and even Captain Goddamn America sounds like Joss Fuckin' Whedon. Seriously, that guy writes every single character to sound like a disaffected snarky teenager no matter who they are or where they're from in every single one of his works, and It's Always Been Awful.) Anyway, having seen a giant swath of his past work, I am 110% certain that if the movie was 3.5 hours long, it wouldn't have made the character writing any better or the thematic core any deeper or whatever he was going on about. Whedon has never written convincingly human characters, and he's never written anything with a notable level of depth either.

That's just my feelings, of course. :v: Not a fan of the Whedon.

I really enjoyed Age of Ultron, but I fully agree that it got way too heavy-handed with the Whedonisms in the dialogue.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Avengers 2 ditches that and depends entirely on the audience having watched, at the very least, Avengers 1 so you'd know what Loki's staff is, Captain America 2 so you'd know about Shield being destroyed while Hydra is still on the loose, and Guardians of the Galaxy so you'd know the finer details of the Infinity Stones. If you haven't watched those films, you're hosed, as they don't spend any time explaining anything that was explained in those movies, which is a problem because they all have things to contribute to this movie that you wouldn't know about if you'd just watched this movie.

I'd disagree on the third one, just because there's enough on its own merit to know that Infinity Stones are bad and we've seen several of them do terrible things in the forms of Loki's Scepter and the Tessaract.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder if Whedon has a guy who follows him around with a cue card that says "SHRIEK AS IF IN PAIN" that gets held up every time he finishes a sentence, or if they do it of their own volition,

I wondered what the "SCREAM" guy had been doing since Freakazoid ended.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jack Gladney posted:

Doug Walker you oval office Count Duckula is amazing and perfect put that gun in your mouth and pull the trigger

Wait, what? How can you not like Count Duckula? :psyduck:

Next he'll be saying he doesn't like The Trap Door.

BERK! FEED ME!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tracula posted:

Not saying you're wrong but can you cite this? I thought the biggest part of him leaving was his whole emotional meltdown and all.

He seems to be doing fine enough with his (dwindling) Patreon good for him but I worry about guys who live on Blip like SFdebris. In his case Youtube has poo poo on him so many times I worry what'll happen when Blip eventually goes the way of the dinosaur/Revver. Although checking his Patron he's making about $3.2k a month so that makes me feel a bit better about his prospects.

He did actually say exactly that in a blog post or video, I remember seeing it too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Terrible Opinions posted:

I think it is actually directly related to Australia's out doorsy perception, that people think of them as heavy drinkers. In America and a few other places it's assumed if you live in a rural environment you're a drunk. Hence why so many white minority groups in America are assumed to be drunks. Appalachians are getting drunk off tree-bark moonshine made in their backyard stills, Midwest farmers are constantly drinking between murder suicides, trailer park dwellers are spending all their unemployment on booze, and southern yokels only survive their drunk driving by virtue of being the only ones on the road.

Also as for the Italians and French I've heard plenty of Americans characterize them as perpetual drunks.

That's just really, really off-base about heavily-drunk Aussies. They only live as far out as the outer suburbs .

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Terrible Opinions posted:

Okay my bad. I don't know enough about Aussie stereotypes then. I naturally for an American assumed there was nothing but vast outback and urban Sydney.

It goes City, Nice Suburbs (all the old historic/expensive houses), Suburbs, Outer Suburbs, Outback.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infamous Sphere posted:

Great Baywatching episode...but what was the sketch/piece of paper that flew over Eddie's face? Did I miss something?

Hey! Canberra is where it's at!

Oh who am I kidding, Canberra is not where it's at. But it has its advantages. Very pretty city, and while it's cold as a bastard in winter it's beautifully sunny and clear.

Canberra is a hellish pit full of bloodsucking vermin. It's also built on a swamp and riddled with mosquitoes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
How do you even come up with the idea for wrangling a bull on a beach as an episode opener? :suspense:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
When shall we three meet again?

When thy PC ceases to defecate betwixt the sheets of thine bed in constance.

• Locked thread