Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lornekates posted:

"The Internet"

No, it's very clearly Bravest of the Lamps. It's what he does, and been banned from multiple subforums for. There is a even very hard and demonstrateable shift in the quality of discussions between the month he was probated and after his return.

The thread is actually generally very civil, except for one poster that has been proven at every occassion to be absolutely toxic to any conversation and just drags the thread into try to make them see common sense for entire pages at a time. The only one winning in that situation is BoTL's smug sense of superiority, because he will always argue in bad faith.

Try the flipside if it helps to understand us; What does BoTL actually contribute to the thread aside from toxic opinions and derails?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Puppy Time posted:

Here's Leonard French, actual copyright attorney on Youtube, going over the case of Pepe's creator suing the gently caress out of Alex Jones for copyright infringement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl_p2m_63dw

I highly recommend Leonard if you're vaguely interested in this stuff; he's nice, great at explaining the law, and he features his adorable dogs a lot. :3:

Leonard J. Crabs is rea-:stare:

Oh, different Leonard.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Wolf posted:

The thread is also the first time I've seen producers that are still currently on CA joining in and admitting poo poo's hosed.

Even-odds on their employment changing enmasse inside of a day or two.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you want to see internet people setting up their own studio space done right, have a look at what LoadingReadyRun have managed with their latest Moonbase; They've got three studios and have made really amazing use of limited space for a lot of different streamed shows. Even with the move being funded by Patreon backers (or a donation drive, I can't remember which off the top of my head) because they lost the lease on the old location, pretty sure they managed it all for a lot less than whatever amount got set fire to for the Channel Awesome warehouse that is mostly vacant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI-84tGhFyU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

business hammocks posted:

Did they make Brad improvise all those wretched jokes, or did Doug lovingly prepare each one? Either way, that’s the most miserable he’s ever seemed on a youtube video. Probably Blip too.

Reputedly any time there's a crossover involving Doug Walker, he'll be the one to write most of the script.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wrageowrapper posted:

I believe Shaun is spelt with a "U" and not a "W". Though there is another youtuber who also just goes by the name Shaun.

It can be either, depends on the individual spelling.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wrageowrapper posted:

Indeed, as well as Sean, but in the case of this youtuber it is definitely with a au. The list above has it Shawn.

Ah, my bad. I misunderstood from the way you wrote it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm pretty sure "liking" something means you agree with it to some kind of extent.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lornekates posted:

I'll let my IP take the hit of getting some CA on it, and post this:

So place your bets on who is next. Somehow I think everyone is checking their Google Analytics and Youtube logs to see what percentage of hits come from referrer "channelawesome dot cum"

My useless guesses:

- Sage - Is that Bennete the Sage? I could see him #MeTooing it the gently caress out of there

I wouldn't be surprised if Sage dropped, considering he's got his own website going and probably gets most of his hits through that or Youtube direct.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sarcopenia posted:

Okay so, Some Jerk With a Camera apparently is an actual jerk.
https://twitter.com/tonygoldmark/status/975543463675482112
Haha yeah I wonder why Allison blogged him that drama queen!

Edit:
https://twitter.com/tonygoldmark/status/976921175476510720
Oh my god dude. You did it. You made the worst analogue ever.

"Silence is better than feuding"

What the gently caress?! :stare:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

He protected his tweets. What fresh hell was this one?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Maybe the 10th anniversary special should be titled Make Mike Michaud Mad.

For the ten anniversary the former CA producers should all make their own special cross-over.

A tell-all special about all the things the Walkers and Michaud did over the past ten years.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

There’s something in here about the best films adapted from novels being those that change mediocre source material in ways that serve the unique aspects of the medium of film. That’s probably different from calling something a good adaptation.

Pretty sure that's the very definition of an "adaptation".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

People don’t really discuss Jaws or The Godfather as adaptations. Lord of the Rings is in kind of a different category there. Like, it’s a big part of how the movies were authorized and funded and sold, and so it’s baked into the production, marketing, and reception. Unless maybe people do discuss Jaws and The Godfather as adaptations and I just am not a part of those conversations.

That's more because people were aware of those movies first rather than the books. In LOTR's case, the books were already very widely known and loved. They are still, by definition, adaptations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Farg posted:

Gormenghast is derivative shlock, why do you think it's good

Do not engage with BoTL. Almost every remark he makes in this thread is pretty transparent baitposting to try and draw anyone he can into a lovely circular argument that he will perpetuate for as long as he can in bad faith.

Do not take the bait.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Testekill posted:

They made a response and it's pretty toothless

I swear you actually can see Mike Michaud sitting proudly at his PC as he types that out, thinking how easily he's surely stopped the problem and come out on top.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Seeing your partner killed and your son kidnapped right in front of you isn't a premise that lends itself to meandering across the countryside. It'd be one thing if the game started months or years after that incident (you know what I mean) but the writing, voice acting and mechanics don't reflect the fact that the PC is going through unimaginably emotional trauma.

In Fallout 3 you've following your Dad, who is presumably pretty capable and who left on their own terms, and the quest doesn't quite have the same urgency. Similarly the previous two games and New Vegas have fairly open-ended goals and don't present a situation where (nominally) every minute counts.

It also goes to great lengths to try and paint you as a good upstanding person in Fallout 4.

Instead of the cannibalistic maniac wielding a flaming bayonet most players are.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NikkolasKing posted:

New Vegas starts with you getting robbed and murdered and everyone you talk to acts like your motive is tracking down Benny for revenge. I think that's a pretty provocative opening and "goal"? Not any weaker than your partner dying and child being abducted.

The problem between that and Fallout 4 is a difference in overall tone; New Vegas starts and ends at "you got shot in the head, didn't die, the guy that did it is New Vegas, have fun". Fallout 4, in contrast, goes to great lengths to establish your character as some wholly decent american soldier who did his time/was a lawyer, settled with a family, and is a fine upstanding person of moral fiber. Even when you're setting people on fire by the dozen just so you can take their stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RareAcumen posted:

Not a movie, but it was probably that 'How much diversity is enough?' video he made where basically- this was years ago, so I'm probably forgetting a lot- the discussion was about Scarlet Johansen in the Ghost in the Shell movie and how people in the US were pissed, since that's a movie totally about Japan and they're whitewashing it by having Scar Jo as the Major and then it goes to the point of absurdity where he's asking if they have to get a gay trans woman if Matt and Trey want to keep Mr. Garrison in episodes of South Park. And I'm fairly sure, but not 100% that he might've brought up Gorilla Grodd or Winston from Overwatch and ask if they can't have people voicing them and they have to be voiced by an actual talking gorilla.

Anyway, I found this and it's almost perfect.

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_p6l88lNQqP1rof9cl_480.mp4

That is the weirdest loving defense to take with that movie. Especially considering several of the main cast are played by Japanese actors with unchanged character names. Speaking Japanese throughout the film. Scarlet Johanson as Mira "Major" Killian couldn't have been more egregious if they tried. And that's not even including the frankly-awful script.

I will say though, for all the movie's terribleness, Beat Tanaka was loving awesome as Aramaki :allears:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRS4tYeeouA

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alaois posted:

not awesome enough for you to remember his name, apparently :v:

gently caress it, wrong Beat :cripes:. Takeshi Kitano.

a medical mystery posted:

There could be a very interesting movie adapting the original GitS' story about body/mind identity into a story about cultural identity when the diaspora of a culture integrates into another society, but new-GitS sure as hell isn't it.

Part of what made Ghost in the Shell interesting is that a full prosthetic body it's not some new fancy prototype; Batou's also a full-body cyborg, and you see all kinds of people dealing with the same thing throughout the series and films. One of the scenes in the original film is just watching the Major traveling through the city, seeing various women in the crowds with identical prosthetic bodies to her own. Even the live-action film dumbs down the body itself, because "ooh she's still human underneath all the cybernetics and and :rolleyes::fh:" rather than just being a brain in a fully-artificial body.

How much of her can Motoko truly say is still human? Is the brain in her head actually her own brain? She's never seen it, she only has the surgeon's words to believe that it really is her brain in her head and not a computer processor that just thinks its human.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Archer666 posted:

Lol no way are there people that actually believe that.

Trying not to engage BOTL aside, there were indeed people in the TVIV thread who earnestly insisted Kovacs should be played by a Japanese actor.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheMaestroso posted:

Just checked, and there are currently 18 people listed on the site as producers (technically there should be no more than 17, because Nash announced he's leaving). We're getting close to a third left of the amount of people on the site when this whole thing started.

It's getting to the point the whole business is just about done if it keeps up, because staying looks more and more like solidarity with the Walkers and Michaud than just staying for views/community.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Motto posted:

Superbunnyhop did (another?) VR video, and it's shockingly positive coming from him. Price ranges are gonna have to fall way, way down for that stuff to be more than something that exists out there, I guess for me though.

VR is still very much in the enthusiast range, but the stand-alone headsets should help in the long-term. Part of what helps is just getting something out that can be mass-produced, so as to streamline production on (and improve upon) the kinds of parts that weren't available cheaply even just a few years ago. There's also a lot of disparate technologies that're only just now starting to be brought together like foveated rendering and the Vive's wireless adapter. Even the Vive Pro's just a glorified dev kit for things like the pass-through cameras.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

corn in the bible posted:

the price of headsets ignores the other price, which is a 3d adapter that can handle the tech

You kinda missed the part about "stand-alone headsets helping get the price down with mass-production of parts". But yes, right now the other big barrier to entry is needing a good gaming PC and graphics card.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It’s just cowardice. I am so sick of that guy. AND he’s a hack on top of being poo poo and also a spineless weiner. Most people have at least one quality good enough to lead with in an obituary.

I thought Doug didn't know how to use social media?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leal posted:

Not quite, according to social blade each year he brings 42.5k to 680k a year. But if you add in merchandise and sponsorship deals he probably teeters close to a million. Thats the thing, there are all these videos of "The DEATH of Channel Awesome?!?!" but... its not. I mean, sure Channel Awesome the concept, that being a website meant to have multiple reviewers and not be all about Doug, may die. But Nostalgia Critic is going to hum along just fine as he has cultivated a large audience who has been with him for a long time.

We have no illusions about Doug's shows carrying on regardless, but Channel Awesome itself is another matter. Just how it would look from general public perception, by no means intended as personal insult, when the talent pool drops as sharply as it already has it starts looking less like "some people have left of their own volition" and more like "they are siding with Doug Walker" as the remaining number of critics drops. Which puts pressure on those remaining, even though they're just keeping their heads down and avoiding the whole drama. There's zero possibility of new talent coming in, because the well is well and truly poisoned now so, if/when the remaining critics depart, Channel Awesome as an aggregator and brand is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

e X posted:

In what universe is Stark Trek: Into the Dark regarded as a good movie?

The timeline where it's Wrath of Khan :v:.

• Locked thread