Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gyges posted:

Is there much other than the current Ms Marvel in the superhero genre? I only read the first trade paperback of that but it was pretty good.
I've seen word that The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is good. First issue just came out last week or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Vicas posted:

because in truth that's pretty much exactly what 8-12 year olds want and are like. It's like how the 10 year old kids in south park talk pretty close to how 10 year olds actually talk when there's no adults around
And in fact, the last two episodes of South Park guest-starred Pewdiepie and had Kyle fretting about kids these days like Ike watching YouTube videos instead of playing actual video games.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

At the very least, I would never have heard of The Secret of Kells if it hadn't been nominated.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

The movie justifies itself with it's first scene where Speed races the ghost of his dead brother. That the rest of the film is also good is just a nice bonus.
For me, the movie justified itself with the lines "Was that a ninja?" "More like a non-ja. Terrible what passes for a ninja these days."

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

As far as I'm concerned, anything that's ever been a pack-in title for a Nintendo console (i.e., Tetris for original Game Boy) is a video game.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

The oldest stuff is text, from a time before streaming video. Here are the first internet reviews I can remember finding, back in the last century.
One of my favorite text reviews is Hradzka's takedown of John Ringo's :nms:Paladin of Shadows series. Which John Ringo agrees with "totally and unashamedly." He even endorsed the critic's "Oh John Ringo No" charity t-shirts. It's not only a great review of a terrible series, but a great example of good sportsmanship on the Internet.

Jack Gladney posted:

And then there's the guy he stole his gimmick from: Joe Bob Briggs aka John Bloom, who I've been reading since he had an e-mail list for his reviews, who doesn't really count because he has pre-internet books and newspaper columns:

http://www.joebobbriggs.com/
He's coming to my town's film festival next month!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

In all seriousness, as loving loathsome as Aurini is and as dangerous as the logical conclusion of MRA-style thinking is, I do find myself feeling bad for folks like him. I mean, look at him. The guy is desperate for people to look up to him. He's obsessed with how people see him and terrified of not being seen as strong or masculine enough. The guy's a wreck, and you can't tell me that he's not just miserable on some level.
The other day I read Patton Oswalt's interview in Salon (yes, they made up), and he basically said this is the correct response.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

PresidentBeard posted:

God being unknowable and not a singular being is the whole point of Kabbalah and the Trinity.
This is correct. The Orthodox believe it's impossible to understand God in concrete terms and concepts, and any language attempting to is inherently inadequate to the task, except in what he chooses to reveal to us. Which is why Jesus and the Holy Spirit are so important.

The belief in "God as an idea" is really about God being abstract, not about him not being real. If anything, the concept of God the Father as an old man in the sky is an artifact of Renaissance art and pagan depictions of Zeus/Jupiter. It's telling that in Orthodox iconography, the most widespread depiction of the whole Trinity is actually a symbolic one: the three angels that visited Abraham.

Okay, back to Ishtar.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Girl's Town was always one of my favorites. Maybe it's the novelty of Paul Anka and Mel Torme in a juvenile delinquent picture, the time capsule of the 1950s' all-consuming fear of teenagers, the Catholic school alumnus in me liking all the Catholic school stuff, I dunno. It's just the one I enjoy watching the most.

And yeah, I'm one of those who looks at the show in terms of Frank and post-Frank. Pearl, Bobo, and Brain Guy were fine--heck, Mary Jo Pehl flourished as a villain--but for me, EndlessFrank will always flow, for all we know.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Random but important question: Does Richard Harris count as a one-hit wonder, and if so, is there any chance Todd will ever cover Macarthur's Park on One Hit Wonderland?
Camelot seems to have been a hit, so maybe not.

I'm still hoping he'll do something--anything--on Warren Zevon. He was my favorite non-Weird Al musician growing up, and I'd like to see Todd's take on him.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Well, bleh.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, my friend is self-employed for entirely different reasons (runs a nonprofit), and taxes have bitten him pretty hard.

Also, I think these taxes are normally done quarterly.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I got about five minutes in before I just felt bad for everybody and gave up.

Speaking of unpleasant, one thing still boggles my mind about Thunder in Paradise...

They made a CD-i game?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Gyges posted:

Comedy Central has a fairly successful internet game show that comes on @Midnight.
That's more a game show about the Internet, though. And all the contestants are professional comedians. And it has production values, and is genuinely funny.

It's basically what I used to go to Twitter for, before my feed became nothing but Outrage of the Day, plus occasional Patton Oswalt jokes.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Whitley Strieber wrote a vampire novel? I had no idea. I mostly know him from when my parents used to listen to Art Bell (Strieber was a frequent substitute host). He and Bell also wrote together: their book, The Coming Global Superstorm, was part of the basis for The Day After Tomorrow.

One quibble: it's pronounced "Stree-ber."

Also, I love that Tequila and Bonetti references are spreading out of Brad's videos.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

And speaking of personal taste, I disagree completely with KayTee above about the artwork in Power Pack. Yeah, June Brigman's work is great, but I love Gurihiru's artwork. It was a little rough at first, but they really hit their stride with the third or fourth miniseries. More recently they've been doing the art for Gene Yang's Avatar: The Last Airbender comics for Dark Horse, and I think they easily match the best episodes of the show.

If you want bad, you want the Mike Higgins/Tom Morgan run, the one that got the series canceled. I've always wanted to see Linkara review this run, because it is downright baffling. The artwork is the least of it:

That kid in yellow? He's supposed to be eight years old.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

In fairness, though, they seem to have backed off from the overt speechifying in recent seasons. Now their thing seems to be "Take a thing to its most absurd conclusion." Like Cartman using Let's Plays to take over the world.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

J. Geils Band - "Centerfold"

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Marge Simpson: "I'd like some coffee."
Australian Bartender: "Beer?"

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Man, this Quantum Leap novel...

One thing I do know about Revolution-era sexual morés, I once read A Midwife's Tale for a history class. It's a commentary on an average New England woman's diary from the late 1700's, and at one point, it discusses how they arranged marriages: IIRC, they'd get the guy and girl alone in a room together at a party, and if the girl got pregnant, they started planning the wedding. I'm guessing that has nothing to do with what happens in the Quantum Leap novel, though.

And if someone's going to do "Live, drat you live," I'm always going to imagine it delivered by Ben Stein circa Duckman.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

What is twitter for, anyway? There's no possibility for meaningful discourse. It seems designed to promote misunderstanding. Do people use it to talk to their friends, or just to send fortune-cookie-depth messages to an indifferent universe?
It's for people to share ideas for bumper stickers. And try to communicate through them.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Also fun: you can sing any ballad to the Gilligan's Island theme, including Wordsworth and Coleridge and stuff.
And Dickinson. And Amazing Grace.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Lindsey Ellis posted:

But it does bother me that unless civilization falls, that poo poo will live on my imdb profile forever. I will be hundreds of years dead, and that poo poo will continue to live on. This thought haunts me.
It could always be worse. Stallone will always have The Italian Stallion on his profile.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

(Disclaimer: I've only seen the NC review of The Langoliers. I'm sorry.)

What always gets me is that weird chrome shine that's in so much lower-budget CGI in the 90's. The langoliers had it, Reptile had it in the Mortal Kombat movie, Ivan Ooze and the Megazord had it in the Power Rangers movie.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Infamous Sphere posted:

I think one of the reasons why Narnia didn't take off as a big movie franchise is because it's sort of a dry series of books. As Matilda says, "There aren't any funny bits in it. All children's books should have funny bits in them." Obviously the fact that it's a biblical allegory has something to do with it, although it's not as if I picked up on the biblical themes when I was a kid.
I dunno. What kept me from seeing The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was that it seemed to be trying so hard to be Lord of the Rings. Tolkien and Lewis may have been close friends, and strong mythopoeists, but Narnia is not Middle Earth.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 15, 2015

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

emeriin posted:

British PSAs would much rather scare the poo poo out of kids (or anyone really) than educate them. I remember even in college going to a sort of "teach them about driving safely" sort of thing, and even in the teachers talked afterwards about how it was mostly horror stories to try and make us cry.
So that anti-piracy ad from The I.T. Crowd wasn't just over-the-top satire?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

...Why Klingons?
The Klingon Empire was an early supporter of the Berne Convention.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I'm currently in the middle of Helter Skelter, about the Manson murders, and I've been especially struck by, on one hand, the blatant mismanagement of the Tate murders by the LAPD, with evidence overlooked and misfiled, and connections missed because the LAPD and LASO weren't sharing info (they were each working cases that turned out to both be Manson-related); and on the other by the media circus surrounding the case, with leaks galore, baseless speculation, and a book deal for Sarah Atkins before she and the other Manson Family members are even indicted.

Now thanks to this thread, I'm wondering if there's an SVU episode like this. I know, Manson was late-60's and SVU is way, way more recent, but it's not as if mismanagement and media circuses have exactly gone away, either. So, is there?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

And thus it begins anew.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

It's the Internet. "I didn't agree with all her arguments" and "she was reaching at some points" is literally Hitler for some people.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Lots of people who were never socialized properly grew up on the internet and don't know how to handle nuance or balanced perspectives about anything. Now that they have to share that space with normal people they are losing their minds and have a huge persecution complex about not being able to use racist language or threaten women with rape.
When all you have to do to make your voice heard is make a quick quip or hit the Retweet or Reblog button, there's just not much incentive to pause, reflect, research, and consider the opposite side's points. Then you bring in group identity and self-righteousness, and it just becomes downright frustrating to watch. And it's not as it only happens in GG. Winterfox/RequiresHate thrived in this kind of environment. On the other side (GG-related, but still its own thing), so do Vox Day and the Sad/Rabid Puppies. Same for that whole "Let's insinuate and reblog that John Green is a creepy pedophile" flap on Tumblr from a few weeks ago.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Here are the three questions I had while watching that review:

1) Who the heck ran Q5, a bunch of 1950's Southern Baptists teamed up with the Comics Code Authority?

2) Why does Dave Coulier's impression of Bill Murray sound more like the groundskeeper from Caddyshack than Venkman?

3) In "Janeane, You've Changed," how did JMS become "Michael J. Straczynski"?

**Edit**

Sorry, here's a fourth one:

4) Why does Prof. Dweeb look like he's drawn by Gary Larson?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Testekill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHdJIaqmUj8

Cinema Snob did a review of the Roger Corman version of Fantastic Four.

That was the absolute last place I expected a reference to Power Pack. (Speaking of which, has anyone ever done a video on the live-action pilot?)

And geez, did Corman really have to include the whole "Reed met Sue when he was in college and she was 12" aspect of their relationship?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Jimbot posted:

If I recall correctly Arwen's role was much larger in the films. And I believe Eowyn got more of a bigger role too (at the expense of Eomer). But it's been forever since I read any of those books so correct me if I'm wrong. Adaptations are a tricky thing, especially of older material.

Sounds about right. Arwen replaces a male elf who rescues Frodo from the Nazgul, and I think was nearly added to Helm's Deep. Eowyn I don't remember being too different from the books, though they may have elaborated more on her unrequited feelings for Aragorn.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I'm still freaked out that Eddie shares a name with noted editor, Dragon*Con founder, and convicted child molester Ed Kramer.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Based on those Baywatch Nights intros, you know what I'd love to see? Something seriously analyzing and picking apart 80's/90's cable TV "sexy" stylistic motifs, like what these intros use -- especially the saxophone. I've always wondered how the sax became so closely linked with sex... and it better not just be because they're one vowel off from each other.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Siselmo posted:

In the comments, he shared an article written by Lindsay that adresses this in more detail. I think it's overall spot on.

http://www.themarysue.com/stop-asking-is-this-feminist/
A couple of my friends were having almost this exact conversation the other night. One was talking about the importance of better representation and critiquing sexist patterns in movies; the other, without necessarily disagreeing, was talking about how this so often translates into criticizing individual movies based on ideology rather than the film's own merits. In a way, it's like refusing to read anything but Christian fiction; it's "safe," but how much is any good?

As a writer, I'm personally sensitive to how ideology becomes an excuse to police authors and readers for their choices. We saw this in the recent Hugo fiasco, where right-wing authors tried to push their works in the nominations because they thought SJWs were excluding them. And from the other direction, we had RequiresHate using SJ ideals as an excuse to harass, threaten, and blackmail authors who didn't meet her exact standards.

I'm going to have to share that article with my friend.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Kunster posted:

As someone who knows RH, she was doxxed and harassed into disappearing from the internet a year or two before the fiasco (Or even Gamergate, which fueled the poo poo out of the Sad Puppies nonsense) by authors of name that would have applauded loving Save The Pearls had it been penned by a liberal author , with one of the Sad Puppies being the main headliner of that poo poo. So nice try at the false equivalence. No, even better than the "false equivalence" since one of the Sad Puppies wrote a book about RH and went with it and won the award.

That is some poo poo, dude. <- This be a good breakdown of what went down, really.

There might be a chance this nonsense is within the CandyGlazi whatever clause on the first post, and if so I apologize for bringing that up. However, as someone close to one of the parties, hopefully it's understandable of me to snap at that post.
Okay, maybe you know something I don't. I understand you want to defend your friend. I just know what I've read elsewhere, and it's not good.

One, she was outed by Nick Mamatas, one of her own allies, when her identity was being discussed in private SF circles.

Two, Laura Mixon isn't a Puppy by any stretch of the imagination--in fact, she was the one person in that category not nominated by either Sad or Rabid Puppies, who may have even pushed her report out of another category. Have you read her report? I mean really read it? It's well-documented that RH sent death, rape, and acid threats to people she didn't like; she drove one author to attempt suicide; and she disproportionately targeted women and people of color. There's more specific stuff here (with a scan of the acid threat), with a list of her victims here.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Why do I get the feeling that calling people Sad Puppies is an indicator of being a complete rear end in a top hat? Now, I have done no research, so I can't be sure.
Other way around. Sad Puppies was the name chosen by the right-wing authors I mentioned, like Larry Correia. Rabid Puppies were led by Vox Day, who's basically a white supremacist, and who endorsed acid attacks on girls. Both of them, as I understand it, brought in help from GG to stack the awards in their favor.

It didn't work, because they lost in every category except one (and that one was because it was a lot of people like Guardians of the Galaxy).

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Again, the Puppies didn't even care about her report. She wasn't part of their slate, and her win was an explicitly anti-puppy vote. She even stood up for a Tor editor who was target by the Puppies. And she's posted her acceptance speech and further commentary here. She is incredibly left-wing, to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I finally got my own copy of The Room. That's something.

• Locked thread