Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ronk a Donk posted:

Lupa released a new Baywatching -- "Nightmare Bay"! New season! New characters! Also old characters! Also old actors playing new characters! Also, sea monsters might be killing people? The resolution to this mystery is clawful.

Best show not on TV. Jaws quote as well, I love it. Lupa it maybe too far in the future but do you think you'll be giving Baywatch Nights the same treatment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

She's said she will be covering Nights in some fashion eventually.

Cool, cheers.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Miss Wallace posted:

What Mokinokaro said, but also I did a Manic Episodes a loooong time ago on a Baywatch Nights ep if you'd care to see it:

http://blip.tv/OLPresents/me-baywatch-nights-the-eighth-seal-4990024

It's the ep where Mitch is possessed by a demon! Keep in mind I hadn't even seen Baywatch proper at that point, and the technical quality isn't the best. I'll go over the ep again in Baywatching when it comes to it, but that'll be a long time coming.

Bit late on this but while the production isn't as good as Baywatching the content is still as great!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Really enjoyed the new Baywatching withe stabbin' hobo, with any luck he'll be a season regular. I see some things in the opening credits and can't wait until Lupa gets to them because they seem daft as gently caress.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Miss Wallace posted:

Thanks! Unfortunately Hector never makes a reappearance, but there's no shortage of goofy bad guys on this show.

What things in the credits are you curious about? Maybe I can elaborate.

I knew a character that knew the correct way to deal with Eddie wouldn't last.

Most of the Pamela Anderson stuff but I think I just need more context for that because I can't judge if her reactions are good or bad. Also this:

And

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The skydiving one amazes me because it looks so much like he isn't skydiving and his top zip is down slightly because gently caress the cold temps Hoff has got chest hair that must be seen.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Miss Wallace posted:

New Baywatching! Mitch does battle with a dog and Eddie attempts to make Shauni jealous.
http://phelous.com/2015/04/13/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-thin-or-die/

Eddie gets worse and worse (in both the show and real life) by the episode. Also nice recap on the kidnap plot line.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

KayTee posted:

HOLY GOD - Nearly a month after the event Spoony posts a Vlog of the 3rd film his brother watched as part of a 24-hour marathon.. You don't even have to pay attention to the opinions expressed, just check out all that editing!

I hadn't watched any of Spoony's stuff in months and I don't think I enjoy his stuff anymore he used to have fun with bad movies now it looks like he's going over the top with how much it "hurts" him to watch them. I really like Red Letter Media's Best of the Worst, they just have so much fun with those bad movies.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just caught up with Baywatching and it's still really good. It's amazing that Baywatch still has so much absurdity for Lupa to work with.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Miss Wallace posted:

Yep, in the ep The Vosgian beast linked, also there's at least a couple eps of Baywatch Nights involving aliens as well (one where Mitch is struck by lightning and psychically linked to an alien kid). There's a two-parter of Baywatch proper where Summer is possessed by a ghost who chickened out of a suicide pact.

"It was totally a suicide pact, you see I shot her and then was going to shoot myself but chickened out."
"Yeah, I think you just murdered someone there."

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Roth posted:

Contrapoints is debating with Blair White

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SeCD8tJUhU

Edit - lmao she's getting utterly destroyed

I tried to listen to it but I don't think I know enough about the subject to really follow it so can someone answer a couple of quick questions.

Does Blair White identify as male? Was Shoe a good mod?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Zedd posted:

From skimming it Shoe seemed a decent moderator, if slightly biased towards Blaire. And Blaire is a woman, she transitioned from a male body. (I think I am phrasing this correctly right?)

Thanks. I have never heard of Blaire and only watched 15 mins of it but with the way she kept on saying she was biologically male I wondered if she identified as male.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Zedd posted:

I don't know her very well either, and what I know wasn't exactly what I would call a good impression. But as far as I understood it she goes by the interpretation that you can fix the outside to match the inside, but you are always your original outside on a technical level; which I guess is true to a degree.

Yeah I suppose you can't change everything.

MikeCrotch posted:

She thinks that being trans is a literal mental illness

Really? I wonder if she has tried to get help or does she believe that transitioning is that help.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

I dunno if he really counts as an "internet critic" but I like critical's content when he puts out vids of him just talking about poo poo, like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCRx78Zhj7s

A fun video imo about a stupid product

You fools! As you can see by Jeff Dunn's defence of the product you don't just buy this for the juice you buy it for the experience. Oh sure you could squeeze or 'hack' the packet yourself but the quality of your drink would be inferior, probably dangerously so. The experience of using an app on a smart phone with a juicer just cannot be beat!

bessantj fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 24, 2017

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nope, the clothes. Sticking her head in water does squat when she's breathing through her skin, and the moment her pants are off she gets murdery.

Did The End breath in a similar way or am I thinking of a character that only exists in my head?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kay Kessler posted:

People focus on Quiet, but the real elephant in the room is Paz, aka the worst character in any video game ever.

She's a child, but the games take every opportunity to sexualize her as they can.
Don't worry though, she's actually 30, she just looks like a 12 year old! So it's totally okay!

Oh please it can't be that bad, let's just google this...:stonk:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Leal posted:

And the kicker? He is actually going to outsource his edited reviews to his fans, and he'll pocket the ad revenue and pay his fans in exposure.

He is such a lazy bastard. You'd think some trial editing and he'd get a routine for editing his stuff himself. I guess he can't pay anyone because he isn't getting much money himself anymore.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Leal posted:

Whats even better about his laziness: His fiance, his wife to be (oh btw he proposed to her amid his crippling financial situation) has a real world job but he doesn't and refuses to get one on the side.

Yeah I don't really know much about DSP but from the couple of videos I've seen he does seem adverse to getting any job. He also seems to like the sound of his own voice, he talks for ages before actually playing a game.

Leal posted:

....... You know, my favorite whipping boy besides DSP, Spoony, is almost exactly like that. Except even less work is done.

I used to like Spoony but he seems to have stopped doing anything and I haven't looked at anything of his for a few years now. What is he up to?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Leal posted:

Well he is currently making exactly 800 bucks on patreon a month. More politics on twitter. Main website was last updated november last year, his youtube had its most recent upload 3 months ago. He seems to have converted to being a twitter drama monger.

E: Also yeah Phillyium can go on for days talking about the game before he plays it.

$800 a month for no content? The mans a genius.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Eh, not really. He used to be pulling in a lot more per month. I want to say "thousands", but that seems awfully generous. Either way, he's steadily winnowed his support away over the last two years as more and more of his fans realize he is just never going to produce anything ever again. At this point he would literally be making better money if he went out and got a minimum wage job.

Though I do seem to recall Spoony Pateron Watch chat being outlawed at some point...

I mean that he's getting the $800 for doing nothing. Yeah if he did something or put in some effort he could probably make a lot, lot more but then he'd have to put in effort rather than get cash for nothing. I don't want to start some derail where this thread gets locked from spoony talk or anything just wondered what happened to him after the whole meltdown when I stopped watching his stuff.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

cosmically_cosmic posted:

No, I meant the guy who used to be in the Midnight Screenings reviews then slept with Brads girlfriend and she was like 'I love both of you lets have a three-way marriage' and then they all fell out.

Was that "Angry" Jake?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

KKall posted:

Please don't support this man.

Huh

quote:

Eventually Jim shut down his channel and dissociated himself from the movement. He felt that GamerGate had failed to take 'the opportunity to finally kick the teeth in of social justice warriors'.

That seems like a sane, stable thing to say. Is GG still a thing I thought they had ethics or whatever they wanted.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Never forget

Though I don't even remember who Ralph was, other than another far-right skull fetishist

Thats pretty terrible. Who is Adam?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The actor? Doesn't he have a busy acting career to be getting on with *looks up Adam Baldwin* Oh wow, he does not.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Baywatching continues to be a great series. I never watching Baywatch when it first aired but this series is giving me a great insight into how 'amazing' the series was.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Miss Wallace posted:

Thank you. :) I just started scripting a new batch, which includes a dog trying to murder Eyebrows.

I can't wait. I think I've said how much I enjoy this series a few times in this thread but you really have managed to make it constantly entertaining.

Diamanda Hagan did a similar thing for the terrible British series Bonekickers. Which was a terrible, terrible cross over of X-Files and Time Team. If you like series about terrible TV shows that have been skewered by an expert eye then it's a great one to watch.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bad Wolf posted:

Meanwhile, say hello to Channel Awesome HR fuckup No. 732 : ChaosD1 (who does MMO Grinder) was released from the site. Without telling him. Again. He found he wasn't able to upload to the site, then a few days later, his section disappears.

https://twitter.com/ChaosD1/status/861429488235814920

That is terrible in a funny way. You have to wonder why they didn't fire off a quick e-mail, are they cowardly?

Does anybody still watch the Angry Video Game Nerd? Is he still entertaining?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Yes. James Rolfe has remained the unshakable pillar of character criticism, outlasting and humbling all of his imitators.

Well I didn't realise James Rolfe's wife was a member of our fine forum.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

First time I have watched any of their videos and it really was good.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

I know a few people who work for the BBC and one of the biggest gripes is how much money is handed over to Moffat for his projects (And to me they so rarely look as good as they should) before they tell everyone else there's no money for them to make their thing.

Also, TABOO with Tom Hardy was a nightmare of a production for them, but that's a different story.

Yeah my brother has said a couple of times that he finds it a bit frustrating that every season of Dr Who seems to get less and less money filtering down.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

As it should. Turning Dr Who into big budget epic spectacle takes away some its charm. The Tom baker run will always be best because the writing was (mostly) really good, silly zero budget sets be damned.
The best episode of the show in recent years was the space orient express episode, and you could have done that whole thing on a fraction of the budget if you wanted to

I don't know if wanting some basic equipment for painting or making a prop turns something into a big budget spectacle but you may well know more about making a show than I do.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm thinking of ridiculous stuff like spitfires in outer space fighting Dalek warships or facing down a giant satan head made of dodgy CGI. I like Who better hwen it's focused and small scale. As far as your mentions of painting and props, I haven't seen the newest series yet. Is it really that dire?

I think it has diminished, nothing that will just make you laugh out loud but if you look at the first few series and the latest few then you'll see a real difference. I think some of my brothers complaints are part professional pride in that he wants to paint to the highest quality possible or wants to make the props look like they could be in a film or something and part frustration that some of the higher ups think that they can create anything out of cardboard and string. He says that some of the stuff he has to work with should be replaced so completing jobs takes longer and that puts other people behind schedule and everyone starts complaining.

For the record I agree with you about stuff like 70s Who, I really like that era, the writing was very often good and helped me get passed the flaws of any tragic effects/props/over acting.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I liked the Jared Has Aides episode. South Park had so many 'maybe both sides are wrong' episodes.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I really like the shlock movies that people like Brad and RLM like so I tend to listen to Radiodrome from time to time because they often focus on those type of movies. I'm currently listening to the episode Women in Danger redux and they're very angry that Siskel and Ebert don't like the way women are treated in horror movies. And my god the level of analysis is so beyond basic that it's really laughable, one of them accused S&E of being fat nerd losers who were white knighting women so maybe they could sleep with them. I like them when they just talk about the movies but when they try to take it further they end up so far out of their depth that you could randomly choose someone liked in this thread and they'd rip them apart.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

business hammocks posted:

Do they specifically enjoy the parts where women get cut apart, or are they of the "you're reading too much into things" school?

It's like "well a woman kills the bad guy so these films are actually amazing feminist films."

EDIT: But yeah there is a bit of "You're reading too much into this." and Ebert accuses these type of films of being a reaction to woman's sexual liberation, their replay is something like "Michael Myers didn't have an erection when he kills people."

bessantj fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 13, 2017

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Sarcopenia posted:

Josh Hadley is hot garbage.

Yeah but he has a lot of passion for these type of garbage films that I like and has a huge knowledge of them. Anything outside of that hot garbage.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kunster posted:

His shittyness on this episode is comparatively mild and as one goes thru the backlog it just gets worse and worse. If there's a silver lining on this, he'll try to read and understand whatever mail you send him and he tries to answer. It just so happens that the podcast is a somewhat alright overview on production and vhs era stuff that tends to burst into this comic rather frequently. There's an episode where his usually chill cohost gets severe heart palpitations from sheer anger at screaming at him when he goes on a tirade on how artistic folk shouldn't get paid, to give you an idea of the stuff you can get when you go way, way back.

That's a great comic. I think I remember that podcast wasn't that the one where they comment on news stories? I remember listening to a couple of episodes before I couldn't be bothered to slog through it.

I don't know if it's funny or sad that you can take the guys in this podcast, give them more information, give them the book that business hammocks posted and it wouldn't change a thing.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kunster posted:

Josh ran 3 podcasts: Lost In The Static, which is a more general one where he had a cohost where they do one topic (and that's the one with the episode I described)
RadioDrome, the one that has Brad Jones
and WTF which is the news one where she did with Jillian.

Lost In The Static was the one I was thinking of. I remembered them taking quite nuanced topics and reducing them to black and white issues. Pretty much like the podcast I posted.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

I don't know what you would define as an average gamer, but I think most people would be be happy if they didn't have to buy loot crates and would not necessarily defend the practice.

Bibs' argument seems more fitting to this Matt Bors comic:

That reminds me of British Ex-MP Louise Mensch saying you can't be against capitalism and partisipate in society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Which is weird because Marx of all people said pretty much the exact opposite.

https://twitter.com/colleentie/status/911008106154512385

Oh Marx, the man who published a book and sold it under capitalism? :smuggo:

I bet there are more than a few youtube edgelords that would take this line of argument.

• Locked thread