Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Exclamation Marx posted:

[green] Taliban, presumably :rolleyes:
Is this actually an honest-to-god real thing? I saw it for the first time today in an article about Catton, and I'm hearing it again here. Is "Green Taliban" really a thing Slater's people are saying?

holy poo poo I've only been away from NZ for two loving years what the everfucking poo poo happened. I mean we were always kinda poo poo but jesus christ really?

Also I'm laughing my rear end off at Plunket's chickenshit backpedaling. It's like a 7 year-old boy saying whaka as "fucker" then going "NO MUM I'M REALLY INTERESTED IN CANOES".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yes but why.

The comparison makes no sense at all. I guess they both really like the colour green.

Can I start calling Peter Dunne "Pope Alexander VI" now? I don't know if he's a sex offender but his hair certainly is.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Reminder there's a Maori bloke in the Matrix who seems to be having the time of his loving life. He's got this constant "HOLY poo poo I'M FROM NEW ZEALAND AND I'M IN A MOVIE" face on. It's great.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Savour these moments. Every one that passes, the boomers get one step closer to the grave.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

People say this all the time and it's meaningless because the world isn't magically going to become left wing when the boomers all die off.
Clearly you know nothing about death magic. As each one dies, I collect their bones and throw them into a great cauldron. When the time is right, I will sing the good songs and I will correct the earth.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Holy poo poo the comments.

quote:

@drod2070 I carry a gun on me at all times even though it is a felony.. If I get arrested with it my lawyers are the best lawyers around and they will get me out of it. When I do use it in a situation like this my lawyers will justify my shooting after putting these shits 6ft under. ;)

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Has anybody considered the possibility that it's a pair of bogan teenagers dressing up scary "just to piss people off"?

Because I was a bogan teenager and I totally woulda done something like that if I'd been only a tiny bit stupider.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Would that I could be a fly on the wall when Cameron Slater goes barging in shouting "FREEDOM OF SPEECH", finds out it's a member of the National Party, then quietly slinks away into the night.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Did somebody glitterbomb her seconds before that was taken, or is she secretly a Twilight vampire?

Ghostlight posted:

Catton for office.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Now watch in awe as this does absolutely nothing to his popularity.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
New Zealand is not going to look the other way*

*unless the war crimes are being committed by Saudi Arabia, Syria or the United States because those don't count.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Some Timaru grandma is going to activate a file called JohnKey.exe and the GCSB are going to lose their minds.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Soon or at a natural rate? *dials 11 and hovers over the 1 key*
I sincerely hope that, under entirely natural conditions brought upon by the stresses of office and a diet comprised entirely of beer, tim-tams and just being a good old Kiwi bloke, he has a massive coronary that causes him to die in an embarrassing and public way such as while reading 50 Shades of Grey in an Auckland bus-stop while wearing a raincoat and crossing his legs to hide his stiffy.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Too late Auntie Helen did that already

All John Key has to send is an angry man with a brick and a paper plane

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
They were gonna send my dad to Afghanistan as a civilian engineering consultant, and one time he lost a fight with an armchair.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
If we don't murder enough Arabs, the big boys won't let us in the treehouse. It's right there on the wall:

1) you gotta kill some Arabs
2) no girls

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Has anybody else noticed that every time John Key does something dodgy, he immediately does something very public and silly and the media charge all over it.

"Knew that one of his ministers was beating his wife, said nothing. Is taking us to war in Iraq" seem like a bigger issues than "made a cock joke" but you just know which one is getting more airtime.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Being a bit of a fluffy lefty here, but if a soldier has the moral fortitude to say "this war is immoral and I want no part of it" we definitely want them over there to keep the psychos in line. If the only people left serving in the army are the crazy "burn the towelheads" assholes then it's going to get even nastier, even faster. Imagine internet echo chambers if everybody had an assault rifle and even more pent-up sexual frustration. I don't think those guys make up a majority of our armed forces, but I've personally met enough of them to know they exist.

To be fair, one of them dropped out of RNZAF Basic training when he discovered he wasn't going to be allowed to drop firebombs and another got discharged for BEING TOO REAL (his words) so I think our armed forces are decent at spotting these guys and chucking them out on their asses. They're not exactly hard to miss.

sidenote: can you tell my hometown has an airforce base and a P problem?

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 17, 2015

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Exclamation Marx posted:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/66654891/mp-stood-down-as-mother-faces-benefit-fraud-charges
Looks like she'll be reinstated as soon as it's done, apparently they're not close so there shouldn't be any expectation that she knew.

I too remember when the rest of Europe already had the Nazis covered pretty well, and the British sent 138 men so they would be let into the clubhouse.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I imagine that since the election, David Cunliffe has wandered the countryside in a torn suit, howling at the uncaring sky. He has dedicated himself to Aotearoa -his true love- and has cast aside the vicious 'Kiwis' who live upon her back.

Do you hear him? How he cries in the night.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Namedrop Eleanor Catton a few times.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Isn't Dunne the guy who first started using the term 'Green Taliban'?

gently caress that guy.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Are you kidding me that's awesome.

The Aussie PM is some kinda loving superman. Now I understand why they voted for him.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I think the whole intention of publicity stunts like this is to get people talking about it like "wow that's so bad-dumb I don't fall for that poo poo so I'm gonna share it everywhere so everybody knows I don't fall for that poo poo" and then that poo poo gets everywhere because everybody is shouting to the godless heavens how little they care.

I call it "Kanye Westing".

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Exclamation Marx posted:

the prominent new zealander has submitted an 11th-hour appeal to retain name suppression; media are seeking an urgent hearing.
10c says in a shocking turnaround, we find out it's P-Money.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Exclamation Marx posted:

Unrelated, Winston said that what Sabin did will be revealed before the election no matter what.

my gif is 'viral' on the internet piss off :mad:

Actually viral, or NZ Media "viral"?

EDIT: somebody just linked me a Buzzfeed article including that very gif. I need to find their house and stand outside it glaring for a while.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 19, 2015

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

BABY BOOMSERS FUCKE D IT UO FOR THEIR GRANDKIDS LOL
This without even a trace of irony

Since I'm a millenial and our generation is absolutely massive, I very much look forward to making GBS threads all over my grandkids and their hopes and dreams. Boomers thought too small. We need to cut out the middlemen: just hold up our grandkids at gunpoint and say it's for their own good, and make factories that gently caress the environment directly without any of that production bullshit to slow down the glorious poison. Start wearing capes around the place and laughing wildly for no reason.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
it's pretty great how an entire generation, born into one of the greatest periods of prosperity in human history, have poured all their ingenuity and hard-work over the last three decades into collectively becoming Lex Luthor and striding around the landscape kicking people in the teeth

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Butt Wizard posted:

Winston is a belligerent old shithead who I can't recall every giving a specific answer about anything other than holding up a sign. The fact he out-waffled a relative newcomer is entirely unsurprising.

I'd rather the guy who actually lives in Northland wins rather than the cynical vile racist who doesn't live in the district, let alone the electorate, and whose party hasn't stood anyone in the seat for two electoral cycles and that we're meant to believe suddenly cares deeply about its future. Regardless of how much of a shambles Osborne's campaign is, at some stage someone has to draw a line under Winston's bullshit and posturing.
If Winston wins, it flips the balance of power in parliament so that the Nats can no longer rely on their pocket ACT MP for support. That means they'll either have to go running to Winston or Dunne, both of whom aren't likely to agree with some of National's shittier plans for the coming years. Whether or not you like the guy, understand the implications that his win will have for parliament.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Willow Jean Prime sounds like she should be in the distant future struggling against a caste system that somehow mirrors high school social politics. "It is the year 2118 in Johnkeyland. I have never seen the sun. Tomorrow, the Process begins."

Then the cute older boy Andrew betrays her and she must survive in The North Lands on her own. She must defeat Lord Win-Stone and his pet ogre Osborne. But how can she, a simple non-charter high school girl?

brb gettin rich off my new YA sensation

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
You're not allowed hot drinks near John Key. I'm still annoyed about that time his security took my tea away. Apparently there was a risk I might spill it on him.

You can raise my taxes and spy on me, but I draw the line at messing with my tea.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I woke up this morning to find National one seat down, and Cameron Slater down in one minute.

It is a beautiful morning.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
"Treason" is a word reserved only for writers who criticise the Prime Minister.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I don't get Paul Henry at all. He's just not very interesting. The media keeps shoving him in my face all "HE'S IN YOUR FACE, HE APOLOGISES FOR NOTHING" but he's just some boring white dude with a laugh like a gas leak.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

quote:

He’s privatised just about everything, and has cut billions out of the welfare system, not by being punitive but by ­encouraging people on welfare back into the workforce. Some Australians claim ­reform is easier for Key ­because he doesn’t have our recalcitrant Senate, but NZ’s absurd proportional representation system arguably makes governing more difficult.
Is this person honestly saying that MMP sucks and that the executive should be given even more power?

the gently caress do they find these people

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
John Key

likes to pull girls' hair

clearly never had a strong father figure

Schoolyard bully status: confirmed

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Please tell me there is a link to that video somewhere.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
This won't sink the Brand Key juggernaut, but it's nice to see a decent hole in the hull anyway.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
MMP is an excellent political system underserved by a bunch of lovely parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Infotainment! posted:

The independence of the United States was the death blow (60 ish years isn't too bad for internet hyperbole), the body just writhed around for a bit on the way out.
Because it's not like they still controlled India and significant parts of China or anything.

• Locked thread