Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Sometimes I have faith in humanity, and then I check out the quotes thread and that hope is dashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
case in point:

D_Smart posted:

So our new contender for my WIP blog (latest PDF export) on the abusive White Knights in the Star Citizen community, is xxxx xxxxxx (that's him in the wheelchair) aka /user/xxxx/ aka @xxx.

If you look at his Reddit and Twitter feeds (1, 2, 3, 4), he is one of my top harassers (I'm rounding them all up like cattle, for the blog, then I'm going to link to all their social media feeds).

Hey x, if you don't knock it off, I'm going to have my people get in touch with your Dad in Virginia and let him know you're harassing people online. No further warnings. Go play a game or something.

Romes128 posted:

Dereks a blood cause he hates the crips

Goa Tse-tung has a new favorite as of 12:13 on Oct 28, 2015

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Steven Universe is a good show with a bad fan base, and the show is on hiatus.

johntfs posted:

We haven't actually seen Gem excrement (and don't want to) but that's my take as well. Gems can mimic human bodily processes for enjoyment/some other purpose (having a Steven) if they choose to but derive no real benefit from this aside from the enjoyment/purpose.

It puts an interesting spin on Gem relationships, especially romantic one. Human live in a permanent biochemical stew of hormones, neurotransmitters and genetic predispositions. If a person finds another person to be desirable, it's generally on that basis. For humans the path to love can be said to be lust => like => love. There's an initial physical attraction followed by social compatibility that deepens to full commitment.

Gems don't have that biochemical stew within them unless they want it. For Gems the relational path seems to be like => love => lust. A gem meets another gem/human and ends up liking that being. If they like them enough, they may choose to commit to them in love. If that happens a Gem may shift her light form in order to feel and express that love in physical terms. We call Gems "gay" or "lesbian" but the truth seems to me to be more complex. Ruby and Sapphire are lesbians in the sense that they both present as females. Sapphire is more properly "Rubysexual" and Ruby is "Sapphiresexual" because there's no indication that either of them feel any desire for anyone other than each other.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I still don't get how we went from [Tiberium = Crystal Cannabis] to [Gems = Poop for show] in that show

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

What the gently caress

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

that doesn't sound like a good show

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

When someone says something is a good show with bad fans, that usually means it's a bad show with terrible fans.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's a good show for people who are physically 14 years old and not people who happen to be mentally and emotionally 14 years old.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

johntfs posted:

We haven't actually seen Gem excrement (and don't want to) but that's my take as well. Gems can mimic human bodily processes for enjoyment/some other purpose (having a Steven) if they choose to but derive no real benefit from this aside from the enjoyment/purpose.

It puts an interesting spin on Gem relationships, especially romantic one. Human live in a permanent biochemical stew of hormones, neurotransmitters and genetic predispositions. If a person finds another person to be desirable, it's generally on that basis. For humans the path to love can be said to be lust => like => love. There's an initial physical attraction followed by social compatibility that deepens to full commitment.

Gems don't have that biochemical stew within them unless they want it. For Gems the relational path seems to be like => love => lust. A gem meets another gem/human and ends up liking that being. If they like them enough, they may choose to commit to them in love. If that happens a Gem may shift her light form in order to feel and express that love in physical terms. We call Gems "gay" or "lesbian" but the truth seems to me to be more complex. Ruby and Sapphire are lesbians in the sense that they both present as females. Sapphire is more properly "Rubysexual" and Ruby is "Sapphiresexual" because there's no indication that either of them feel any desire for anyone other than each other.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Goon romance :allears:

Coolguye posted:

Haha, this comparison got me a good friend once. I was hanging out in a dumpy dive bar on my personal laptop a few hours after work one time, just quietly drinking some local brews to forget about the 13 hour shift I had just pulled. A pretty cute woman sidled up next to me and started doing much the same thing, and about halfway through my beer I struck up conversation with her and found a common bond in working too goddamn much (she was basically there for the same reason - too many hours in a goddamn cubicle farm).

She commented after about 20 minutes of chatting to me how she was enjoying the conversation, and derisively said how most dudes are talking about their fantasy football teams by now. I laughed and said 'the only fantasy football I play is Blood Bowl.'

She asked what the gently caress, and after failing to explain it to her for 5 minutes, I booted up the Cyanide game on my laptop and showed her. It took her about 10 minutes of watching tree men throw halflings at dark elves to decide she had to play this game. I helped her roll an Orc team and she spent the next hour delightedly smashing a Wood Elf team into the pitch. She didn't even remotely care that she lost the game 3-1 to a fairly stupid AI. She'd caused 5 casualties on the opposing team, she couldn't be happier. I commented to her that this was 'proper orky' and she laughed and said she needed to get out of there before she got even nerdier.

I still talk to her occasionally, she's good people. Freaking weirdest conversation I've ever had in a bar, though.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I actually think that's really cute :)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

This is the start of the movie "(500) Days of Summer (Mostly Spent in Your Parent's Basement)"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dude made a lasting friendship by being sociably dorky while trying to drink off a lovely shift, good on him.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

SAclopedia FYAD entry posted:

The closest acceptable comparison would be to the Versailles in the 1770s; FYAD is decadent, luxurious, and founded on the principles of wit. “Humour” and jokes do not cut it in FYAD, instead it is the quick-of-tongue and those who would ridicule their neighbour who achieve favoured status with the greatest rapidity. Many of the posters within FYAD and their respective positions could be easily likened to persons of importance in the French court of Louis XV. Lowtax, naturally, assumes the role of Louis XV himself; king of the land and all he surveys, living in the greatest of luxury with countless philosophers and artists to entertain him. Louistax’s word can mean life or death within the golden halls of FYAD. However, Lowtax does not listen or even notice the vast majority of simpler nobles, to whom a parallel might be drawn to recently accepted posters, or GBS posters “sneaking under the radar”. To achieve something bordering on an audience with Louistax (a dialogue of quotations between Louistax and someone else within a thread), one must first work their way up in the ranks of FYAD. Being as similar to French court as FYAD is, one must accomplish this not through wealth or enthusiasm, but through wit. Wit is, indubitably, far removed from humour in any sense of the word. Consequently, the acceptabilities of FYAD are nearly identical to those of the French court. Puns or “les calembours” are shunned somewhat – they are common and easy to make jokes of, taking no particular wit. However certain among the nobles (posters) may achieve a state of importance (being generally considered humourous by the rest of FYAD), by making liberal use of puns. Copy Cop is one of these examples, but it is rare to see many people pull this off. The jokes that strike the most at the heart of their butt and elicit the most appreciation from the fellow nobles (quotes within a thread with statements of “lol”, “rofl”, “lmao”, or “ik goldmine pls”.) There are many posters that boomerang in status, from highly humourous at times to outright exiled at others (see: Jack Daniels’recent training and untraining by Pantsfish as compared to say, Le Marquis des Dombes.) These posters have split followings and oppositions within the court (FYAD as a whole.) Certain nobles are renowned for their wit in certain areas. Atomo’s “Silly Baby” poser images or his humourous flags may be considered on par with the works of François-Marie Arouet, better known as Voltaire. Like Voltaire, some of the important nobles grow weary of repeated humour and may view him as a “one trick pony.” Moreoever, the IK (Idiot King) may be defined as the one currently holding the most esteem from Louistax and the other nobles. This is not always the case, however. At the moment, Pantsfish, as IK, may correspond to a Cardinal or other high-ranking official within the aristocracy. DocEvil, as permanent IK, may be taken to correspond either to the current Pope (in holding with France’s overwhelming catholicism at the time) or to a major official within the bureaucracy, such as Le Ministre de L’Intérieure, or a major general. Like many bureaucratic entities, DocEvil does not do very much actual IK’ing work, as his worth has been repeatedly proven in the ‘YAD.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Oh great, it's the historian's answer to SMG.

GenericRX
Jun 29, 2013
Does anyone have the quote from the EMT about a call for a dying Korean War veteran?

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

The Real Foogla posted:

case in point:

Why are goons doxing some teenager with MS

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Sham bam bamina! posted:

For those who don't follow Bitcoin bullshit, :nws:here is the furniture in question.:nws:

(There isn't really any backstory to the thing; it's just a terrible table owned by a big-on-Reddit Bitcoiner.)

I feel the placement of that horse blanket was not coincidental

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

What the gently caress
Read the Adventure Time thread sometime. It is chock full of weird over analysis.

Steve Yun posted:

Rape is only half the story, and it's kind of disheartening that after reading my post many of you are fixated on that part, unable to process the significance of the rest of the post.

The other half, and arguably the more important half, is that Joshua and Margaret decided to keep their unplanned, unwanted baby. Rather than rejecting the baby for its biology (which are out of the baby's control) or for the circumstances in which the baby came to them (also out of the baby's control) they decided to keep it because, hey, it's an innocent loving baby. They raised Jake as equals with Jermaine, and they brought in a human child and raised it as an equal as well. There's an incredibly heartwarming and profoundly wise message there.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Burn down TV IV.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Grown adults should not watch children's television.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Parts Kit posted:

Read the Adventure Time thread sometime. It is chock full of weird over analysis.

you are very very much not kidding

Sithsaber posted:

Prepare for a info dump.

Ps. Here's some old ruminations that should tide you over until later tonight:

1. I think I know why finn was abandoned. His dad talked his way into his mom's pants and couldn't be bothered to care for the kid when she drowned. That or finn's mother was primordial, and Martin killed her over something trivial

2. That was the best portayal of the lich thus far. He isn't murder or perverted life;he is the End, and more of a force than a individual.

How does one defeat the End? Give it a beginning.

2. It's getting Vedic up in here. I recognized the brahma dream idea whenprismo mentioned cycles, but this pic

made me realize something else.

Cosmic beings like prismo are tied up in the theories of the subtle body
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtle_bodies

It would seem that beings like prismo are bound to the making and breaking of worlds, and disrupting their slumber disrupts the existences of countless beings. That is why "killing" a cosmic one is the ultimate crime, and that is why those who do so are held in a citadel surrounded by the life giving substance.This makes the actions of the lich even worse. He just snuffed out a piece of the universe.

Compare to

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purusha_sukta#Purusha

Than there's tattva wikipedia.org/wiki/Tattva

Which is beyond my ability to comprehend.

Below:
Purana purusha

Pps. Read this in depth interview with the makers of AT

http://theholenearthecenteroftheworld.com/

Sithsaber posted:

Never!

Second prerequisite to the coming info dump:

http://erraticallyinformed.tumblr.com/post/79241430765/all-hope-lies-with-the-tree

At the end of lemonhope we see that Ooo is dead. It's cities are emptied and its people are nowhere to be found. There are no signs of war, and it's vehicles look scattered about because of being suddenly driverless rather than shot down. It's as if the magic just went out, and erased everything imbued with a hint of its majesty (the trees, the mountains people etc cetera) Lemonhope remains because of his solitude, and the branded suit that he wears . (The omega is displayed prominently, and when he turns it off he dies.

Everything is dead, yet there are no signs of significant property damage

All magical features of the environment save the tree are gone, and the tree could just stand for transcendence, or just be a big loving tree

Empty planes with no corpses (the mushroom war left corpses) implies the end was sudden, and probably occurs before a general evacuation.

I tend to see magic like a false vacuum; it falters there, it falters everywhere. (The antimagic bellanoche was sending out dampening waves rather than eliminating magic)

I'm starting to think the return of magic was just a temporary reprieve for earth 's plane. The graybels guy probably exists outside of time and space.

Sadness grows, even if it stems from the ego. Such sadness.

Seeing how AV has a major focus on fate, I don't see this as potentiality: this is eventuality.

The magic will die; hope seems to end. All hope lies with the tree.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's been about 5 years since I checked, but pet island was always, by leaps and bounds, our worst forum.

Has tv iv overtaken it, and if so, what's the thread that's worse than the walking dead thread?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
TV/IV is the best

(spoilers for True Detective season 1)

steakmancer posted:

The Rust-Maggie scene was the one actual scene from this show that wasn't amazing and tone-perfect for the situation and contained such an uncharacteristic series of actions from Rust that has really soured the last 2 episodes for me.

I get where Maggie is coming from and an erotic confrontation between her and Rust seemed like a cliched, inevitable scene that I really didn't want to see, but the scene seemed chiefly to fill in the stilted, absurdly short HBO sex scene quota for a popular series, with proper character development fitting the bill.

I'm not ungrateful for the Monaghan and McConaughey butt but several thresholds of character misbehaviour were crossed for reasons I don't really understand:

1) Rust consenting in the first place - Rust ate Maggie's confession head on before her thong even dropped so pouring some of her wine and dropping trough obligingly seems really unfathomable.

2) Rust loving finishing inside Maggie - Ok, maybe Rust's lizard brain got the best of him and Michelle Monaghan is smoking hot but coital interruption is totally out of the question for the most cerebral, sane (according to him earlier in the episode) detective on the show? Also really the hallmark of HBO sex scene design is on display as he loving busts his nut in 10 seconds (not that I could go further) from the ravenous, sensual foreplay of Maggie talking about how she almost hosed a stranger in a bar and her forcing herself on Rust's neck for the same duration.

3) Rust exploding (post-testicular explosion) at Maggie - This is sort of the most understandable response to the totally outrageous events it proceeds, I imagine Rust feels pretty bad about himself for not bringing his A-game to Maggie so he shoves her out the door to play with his Mag-Lite some more.

I mean if this is all of Rust's keikaku for some Sherlock-esque Marty manipulation to bust the Tuttle Illuminati two weeks from now I'll laugh at the response I had today but that scene was super loving dumb.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Lowtax you know what you have to do,

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
TVIV is awesome because it is impossible for an episode of any show to air without at least person going out of their way to point out that violence is more permissible on TV than sex as if this is some amazing new revelation and not older than most of their parents.

Paladinus posted:

Uhm. Are you trying to say you want to see more teenagers making out?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Why are you bringing up rape in a thread about a children's cartoon?

Sleeveless has a new favorite as of 04:52 on Oct 29, 2015

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
TVIV 2024 AD

quote:

What if the color I see as blue isn't the same color you see as blue

quote:

Please don't colorshame me I have unreality issues. Did you not even watch the show for kids I masturbate to?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nathilus posted:

You have terrible tastes. People dont even count as human till age 25. Anyone who wants to date an early 20s person is insane.

Business Gorillas posted:

Show me on the doll where the early 20s girl didn't touch you

Geniasis posted:

Ok wow. You might want to get a snack or something. This is going to take a while.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

It'll be tumblr in a decade, I cannot imagine a worse fate.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The Real Foogla posted:

case in point:

You know we can just click on the link and get the uncensored version, right?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

You know we can just click on the link and get the uncensored version, right?
If you're that keen to get the real name and details of a guy in a wheelchair who said bad things to a blowhard that makes video games then that's on you.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Screaming Idiot posted:

I know right? When I put the TV on for my 3 yr old I leave the house and go to the bar or something.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

No-one posting in the Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, Steven Universe, etc. threads is an adult by any measure other than simple chronological age.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Shugojin posted:

you are very very much not kidding

y'know, the creature in that adventure time episode did impregnate someone after attacking them. Rape really isn't a huge leap

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

TetsuoTW posted:

If you're that keen to get the real name and details of a guy in a wheelchair who said bad things to a blowhard that makes video games then that's on you.

I don't especially care, I was just noting that there wasn't much point in censoring what you're quoting when you're linking to an uncensored version anyway.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Cumslut1895 posted:

y'know, the creature in that adventure time episode did impregnate someone after attacking them. Rape really isn't a huge leap

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

blame the writers

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Screaming Idiot posted:

If they didn't watch kids cartoons, they'd have nothing to talk to their dates about.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Cumslut1895 posted:

blame the writers

I'd rather blame you since it's a children's cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Hyperlynx posted:

I don't especially care, I was just noting that there wasn't much point in censoring what you're quoting when you're linking to an uncensored version anyway.

well I don't want to doxx the guy, if derek smarts up and edits his post everything would be cool

nothing I can do about an existing post but try to censor my own

unless you're thinking my post was a doxx by proxy or something, I just laughed at the crips joke

• Locked thread