Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

Sorry Mark, we have no idea what's wrong with your KERS mate...

Yay for new thread. Quick get all the good gifs in (already got the two best but I'm sure there's more)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

Lungboy posted:

To continue the commentary theme, TMS have got Pieterson in the team for the world cup.

e:fb. It's only from the quarter finals onwards though, so England will be long gone by then.

He wasn't the worst of the lot on Ten for the Big Bash - jeeze I can't stand his laugh though.

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

Smorgasbord posted:

:lol: SL losing to Zim.

Actually a flogging tbh, Zimbabwe never looked like losing

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

I reposted that article on Facebook so I hope he comes along and lambasts me about being a nothing piece of turd who's just trying to get on the anti-nine bandwagon

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

Best 2 games of the WC coming from 4 associate nations?

The ICC must be FUMING

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

masterpine posted:

Still an hour away and my nerves are acting up. This is going to be a painful/edgy day.

Free-to-Air digital in Australia is a joke. The quality was better 12 years ago. Every network just throws as many garbage channels they can into the bandwidth they're allowed to maximise ad revenue. If you want a decent sports broadcast you're looking at $90 a month and even that's not as good as it should be.

My $60/month Foxtel with all the 1080p sport I can consume begs to differ

I don't even use FTA anymore they can go gently caress themselves.

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

If Finch makes double figures I'll be shocked

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

I don't know what you lot expect out of a bunch of people who make their money playing cricket.

If they had half a brain they'd be working in a law firm or being some kind of useful professional out in some other career path. As it is they have enough of a brain stem to succeed in hitting a ball to all parts or hurling it down a pitch at 140kph+ and that's about the extent of it.

Just look at the brains on offer from the likes of Warne etc.

That said the Australian cricket team is the worst of a bad bunch of people - great at what they do on the field but in terms of personality, any cricket player on any team can't be held to the high intellectual levels of members of the something awful forums :P

But if any of you think the Australians are miles worse than every other outfit you're absolutely kidding yourselves - they're worse but the gap isn't as large as you think.

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

runoverbobby posted:

This is now a Sincere Post:

I don't think Australian cricket should be apologetic about anything, either. There isn't anything wrong about the way they play. It's within the rules and the onus is on the other teams to deal with their intensity. But I think Australian cricket should be self-aware and acknowledge that their on-field mannerisms will lead to some amount of criticism, much of it being fair criticism. This will tend to be louder when Australia win things because of the nature of human envy and jealousy.

The best response to such criticism is to shrug and acknowledge that it's the way Australia play the international game, perhaps with a pointed comment about how their style wins World Cups and Ashes Series 5-0. The only thing people hate worse than an obnoxiously successful team is an obnoxiously successful team that is concerned about its public perception and that wants other people to like and admire them.

On these last few pages I think we have seen a lot of false equivalencies, along with the odd idea that One James Anderson has the same effect on a cricket match as Eleven Australians. Embrace being the villains of the cricket world who antagonize Englishmen with your mere presence. There are a lot of trophies in it.

I think you'll find for most of the time the Australian team couldn't give a rats about what people think of them because it's honestly working a treat and why would they stop now. Being the nicest doesn't get you 5 WC trophys to sit in the governing bodys trophy room.

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

Gough Suppressant posted:

Their fans sure as gently caress seem to care a lot though.

Yeah - the problem is they have nothing to do now that the winning is over and done with I suppose. What else can they go on about until the next series...

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

subroc posted:

Whoa, look at all the shitposting overnight. I might check out until the next test series. I think I'm all cricketed out for the moment anyway. What's the next one coming up? WI vs AUS?

I thought it was a pretty robust conversation about the pros and cons of absolute thuggery in our gentlemans game

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

Good loving effort Maxwell you plonker. Lasted one ball after lunch, well done.

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

"Face does/doesn't fit"
"Father played/didn't play with the Head Selector"
"Good bloke/Top lad"
"Too much/not enough of a oval office"
"Is great at his position, but doesn't swear at the opposition enough."

And those are just the English/Australian reasons.

You want stories of real talent being wasted, imagine all the young Indian players who don't even get considered because they play for the wrong state, or their fathers don't have enough cash to bribe their way onto representative teams.

"Smashing them in the nets mate"

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

I'm flying to Adelaide for days 2 and 3 so that's going to be one hell of a weekend.

I may even see a result considering it's D/N and the pink ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

Good job EMC. I put down everything highly sensible and I'm sure none of them will end up being right.