Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

Does Elizabeth know who Gaad is? Cause he got a pretty good look at her face before she knocked his rear end out. Also, drat girl, take your wig off when you suspect the Feds are patrolling you. Go hide in a bush or something.

They should just leave Nina dead or in Siberia. There's enough going on here they don't need to force her back in the game.

Speaking of The Game, anybody else watch that mini-series on the BBC?

Yeah, I figured she was gonna at least duck down some side streets, try to be a little less visible instead of walking straight down some major avenue.

I can't think of any plausible way they could bring back Nina unless she's gonna have her own subplot in Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

howe_sam posted:

Oh sweet jesus, folding up the corpse :stonk:

That scene was like how I'd imagine a game of Jeffery Dahmer Rules Twister would play. The Russian prison food still might have been grosser though.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Viginti posted:

The show is pretty obtuse with its plots to begin with, but having that whole storyline take place through talking on a quiet crackling radio in the middle of suspense scenes made it pretty hard to follow what was happening, so don't feel bad. I'm sure it will be a bigger deal next week when they decide just what to do with this info.

Does anyone else think that the show, as good as it has been, is maybe playing it a little too safe? We're three episodes in and I still don't know what this season is about, we seem to just be spinning out the stories left over from season two rather than starting up anything new. Characters like Stan, Oleg, Martha and Nina seem to be getting scenes just because they were good characters last year but none of them are really doing anything. I don't want a full reset or anything, but I don't want this to become a Showtime drama either. If a character has played their part move past them and shake things up a little lest things start to get stolid.

I felt like this during the Martha scene tonight. She's a great character and has had some of the funniest scenes on the show but she's such a high-maintenance and high-risk sideline operation for Phil that should have been ended a long time ago that it feels weird whenever a scene with the two of them together pops up every few episodes.

Also, it sometimes feels like they over-rely on shoehorning in unnecessary tension/danger where the couple have to survive or escape a situation by the skin of their teeth. Like the whole car thing from the latest just took me out of the episode and made me question why a guy who's supposed to be this vital and protected is allowing anyone off the street to just wander around his home doing whatever they want?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

I couldn't hear and/or understand half of the poo poo from the radio so you're probably right. However, didn't their handler already ID the bald CIA guy as being clean? How does knowing where he live helps them then? It just seems that if the head guy was so important, they could've gone after him directly, knowing he's CIA and having his license plate, at the very least.

Maybe the importance is knowing that the teen babysitter is the CIA Afghan honcho's daughter and they'll try working her "gently caress you Dad" instincts with the help of Paige.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
That was an awesome episode. Between Stan's bathroom bullying and Phil's new Serbian Film mission this season's getting real good now.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Oh man they really are going all Serbian Film.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Accretionist posted:

:stare:

Pedophil's a hell of a thing.

Imagine if he did get caught with the dad walking in: "Dude, I swear to God I'm just a Russian spy, not a pedophile"

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

pentyne posted:

There's was probably a worry that the NBC show/ripoff Allegiance would pull viewers away from The Americans so they decided to amp up the shock value for this season.

For me it just makes sense for the show to get darker as Phil & Liz's pressures, murder-count, betrayals, etc keep piling up season by season. It also plays to this show's strengths and makes for some of the best spy drama when the dark poo poo gets heavy and adds an extra layer of unease to an already paranoia filled genre.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

pentyne posted:

When they come to a head over turning their daughter, I can see Liz taking it to the point of killing Phil "for the cause". They've played down that dynamic a bit and let it simmer, but she definitely seems like she'd take that step.

Even back in Season 1, Phil is always the more level-headed and rational. When Liz is freaking out after Reagan was shot and thinks there's a coup in the government he talks her down from it because he knows that's just not how things work in America, and she berates him for acclimating to US culture and questions his loyalties.

I could see the show eventually going in this direction. Even besides the whole Paige situation, there's the Kim subplot with all it's parallells and highlighting of just how far apart their tolerances and outlooks are.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
In Soviet Russia sexual orientation gently caress you

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The worst thing that's happened in a Paige storyline was when they didn't follow up on her budding feud with the young Lita Ford wannabe

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

GimpChimp posted:

How about "she's really good and the basic premise of an emotionally volatile FBI secretary married to a KGB agent's bookish alter ego for intelligence gathering purposes is hugely entertaining"

Yeah, it's gotta take skill to play a character gullible enough to be in that situation in the first place and have it feel genuine. It's to her credit that I've been dreading finally seeing her figuring things out.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

beanieson posted:

Love conquers all. Martha is on board with the espionage at this point and as long as she stays on board she's more valuable than ever.

I'm not sure that it's love motivating Martha to act the way she is right now, calculated self-preservation could also easily explain her whole "I just wanna drop it & don't care who you really are" followed by eager volunteering of FBI info Clark hadn't even thought to ask for yet.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Rhys is such a great actor. You could really feel Phil's righteous anger at Gabriel/the Center without him even have to raise his voice during that Scrabble scene.

Also, if Stan & Oleg's hotel plan for defector lady is any indication, it's no wonder they couldn't save Nina. The only positive thing it achieved was that it led to them having a beer together.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

maniacripper posted:

First of all Philip wasn't sharpening his knife , he was steeling it. :colbert:

Second, the look on Elizabeth's face when she walked in on Henry doing the Eddie Murphy impression was hilarious. I read it as, "we need to keep this retard in the dark as long as possible or they'll torture and kill us all"

I can't wait to see when Henry watches the "Bitch" word-of-the-week episode of Mr Robinson's Neighborhood.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What worries me is exactly the fact that Paige is 15. She might have let ~Jesus into her heart~, but there's one thing she possesses now that all 15 year old girls would quite literally kill for, 'godly' or not...

...ultimate leverage over *both* of her parents.

This could lead to all sorts of bullshit that I hope the writers of the show don't decide to take advantage of, like:

"Hey, let me go to Africa with Pastor Tim or I'll tell Mr. Beeman you're both spies."
"Hey Dad...you know, your Camaro's really nice. Oh, by the way, I'm 15 and I'll be getting my driver's license soon. ~JUST SAYIN'~."
"Hey Mom...give me a hundred dollars to go shopping or I'll tell Mr. Beeman you and Dad are spies."
"Tell your Russian friends that I want front-row tickets to (insert concert here) or I'll tell."

I thought they hinted that this is pretty much the direction Paige is going in. The soap opera she was watching when Phil & Liz got home even had some type of scene playing where one character was telling the other something like "I have the control now" and threatening him with his misdeeds.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

JohnSherman posted:

I don't think that soap opera scene was meant to be taken that literally. Paige blackmailing her parents would basically be an express train to insufferability, and I think the writers are smarter than that.

I never said it was, it's more of an indication of where her mind's at and how her relationship with her parents will be going forward, not that she's going to literally blackmail them. It'll be more of a "gently caress off, I'm doing what I want and there's not much ya'll can do about it" (cuz Paige now holds the power in their parent/child relationship)

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Change thread title to "Strategic Wig Striptease"

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Guildencrantz posted:

So, uh, what was Philip trying to accomplish by revealing his ~true form~ to Martha? Other than digging an even deeper hole for himself.

I can only guess at this point but I'd say that he does have some real feelings for Martha and doesn't want her hurt more or killed, so by revealing his true face to her he's hoping to signal this and buy time/prevent her from fleeing to her parents & basically admitting that she's the guilty party to the FBI.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

withak posted:

What are the chances that Stan's conversation with the black FBI guy got picked up by the communist mail robot? You could hear it beeping in the background. I thought that Oleg's big reveal was going to be dissension in the ranks based on that.

I thought that guy was gonna be putting more heat on Stan earlier this season, with how he first acted with Gaad right after the pen mic was discovered and how bad Stan looked after he set up that horrible hotel plan with Oleg & the defector, but this is the first they've really had anything happen on screen about it. Stan could still be extra hosed if dude's been suspecting Martha and saw Stan visiting her. I can't really figure out how the mail robot would tie into all that though.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
This was the best season so far imo. The best thing about this show is the characters, their interactions, and it's tense atmosphere. Like someone said before itt, a whole hell of a lot has happened with the characters and how they relate to eachother, and the show's gotten as dark and tense as it's ever been. Last season did the whole season long mystery/arc wrapped up in the finale thing and it didn't play to the show's strengths imo, I'll gladly take the super slow burn with major plots bleeding into the next season over that.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

pigdog posted:

Kinda hate snitchin' Pavlik Morozov Paige.

On the other hand, what if Pastor Tom, liberal as he is, turns out to be okay with communism and becomes babby's first recruit? :allears:

He's already let Phil slide on the psycho stalking visit, so it wouldn't be out of character if the writers have him not wanting to turn them in for whatever reason.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Junkenstein posted:

Tell that to Homeland.

But yes, the Kimmie thing was 'dropped' because there was nothing happening plot-wise with that tape recorder in the second half and there was no need for the show to repeat itself by showing another visit by Phil to her house where he feels uncomfortable. We see how his sadness is building and we can infer that the Kimmie situation is a part of that.

Yeah, Homeland cut out Dana mid-storyline and it was awesome. She had to be the most annoying character on cable TV I've endured and I've had to watch those terrible Disney/Nickelodeon sitcoms with my kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

As someone who wasn't born until years after the last session, I'd never heard of the drat thing and all I get from the show is the same tired motivational speaker bullshit that is still somehow an industry. The Wikipedia article reads like marketing schtick for it, and seeing now that it turned into that loving Landmark cult, I imagine that's exactly what it is.

I never heard of it and I was alive back then. Maybe it was a regional thing?

• Locked thread