Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jesus, the game would just melt my computer and set fire to my house. Such a shame. Oh well, PS4 version will still be good. :toot:

Been reading the books to get a better view on the world of The Witcher, and Geralt's kinda whiny in them isn't he? Maybe he gets better, I only just finished Baptism of Fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Nah, he's always whiny. He just eventually mostly stops giving a poo poo about the big stuff and focusing on his surrogate family.

Ah, that's a shame but not particularly surprising. He's written more like a teenage girl than Ciri is sometimes. :v: It's still pretty good, I just sometimes wish he'd stop sulking for like five minutes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

He doesn't get off scot free, but that doesn't stop him from indulging in a good sulk from time to time. In the third book especially, where he spends a great deal of the novel either telling his friends to leave or threatening to do so himself. Nothing comes of it and they mock him relentlessly for it, and good on them for it, but I don't think Geralt himself comes off as a particularly mature person most of the time.. Also there's his entire relationship with Yennefer, in particular during the Sword of Destiny. Like I said, I like the books and even Geralt usually, but he can be grating from time to time. A lot of people come off a bit for the worse in the books, like Triss. It's kinda weird to me to think that a game is a better adaption than the originals, but at least as far as the characters go I kinda do believe it. I liked Geralt a lot more in The Witcher 2 than I have in the books.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Aumanor posted:

Humans just crossed over from another world (possibly one similar to ours), while many of the monsters vulnerable to silver seem to have been outright created by the energies unleashed by the Conjunction. Othe rmonsters vulnerable to silver include undead(or do they? Funninly enough, I don't think there are actually any undead in the books) ghouls and other necrophages (I don't think they are ever stated to be undead in the books), vampires (also not undead) and the unfortunate victims of various curses like strigas or werewolves.

Geralt takes on a pack of ghouls on at least one occasion.

GrossMurpel posted:

Vampires aren't undead?

They go into what vampires are in Baptism of Fire. They work a little differently than you'd think. For starters, drinking blood seems to be like drinking alcohol for humans and isn't necessary to live.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Aumanor posted:

As I've written in my post, ghouls in this series most likely aren't undead. And the monsters Geralt fights on the bridge in "Something More" most likely aren't ghouls.

He implies that they are in Baptism of Fire when they're considering going that way.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I remember that scene, it was great. Made the gathering of feathers so worth it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Considering it's gonna be on next gen consoles as well as PC, I'd have to assume so.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wonder what the Witcher equivalent of going bowling is

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Once you get used to a controller it's basically superior for everything except PC shooters (because they are designed for kbm)

While I do agree with the sentiment for the most part (there are other genres specifically designed for m/k, like RTS games or city builders), it's still nice to not have a Dark Souls situation where m/k is functionally unusable for people who aren't masochistic.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah, the big thing you have to keep in mind is the difference between control and precision. In a shooter precision is the most important thing because you need to be able to accurately move the camera so the center of the screen is aligned with your target. In a third person melee oriented game, that is not the case. You have more than enough control over the camera to keep it where it needs to be and the m/k has no fundamental advantage over it, leaving it down to a matter of preference.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Comparing the combat to Bloodborne is a huge compliment in my book. I'm really excited to play this game. The Ciri stuffs sounds odd, but hey I like Ciri so I'm ok with her being more plot heavy.

eXXon posted:

Wait, random bandits are stronger than you at the start of the game?

Sounds like an open world RPG to me. I would imagine that you can still kill them if you're skilled enough, and that stays true to The Witcher. Geralt has had his rear end handed to him by less in the books.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

Only when his leg was busted though, right?

Geralt got beat up by dumb stuff in Sword of Destiny as well. He doesn't do much in the books leading up to his leg being hurt outside of Sword of Destiny because they're mostly about Ciri.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah the only real superhuman combat feats that I can think of off the top of my head are in The Lesser Evil (where he became the Butcher of Blaviken) and when he slaughtered those assassin guys at the beginning of Blood of Elves.
I think he kicked a lot of rear end in the climax but I don't remember if there was anything that stood out instead of "Geralt fought and killed guys".

He kills a bunch of ghouls off screen in The Sword of Truth, the wounds from which being what leads him to reunite with Ciri. There's also the lead-in to when he gets that leg injury when he murders a whole squad of Scoia'tal, though that might be somewhat diminished by what actually ends up seeing him wounded (one guy with a staff). But yeah he's completely capable of getting his rear end handed to him by regular people. Which is a nice change of pace from your generic fantasy hero.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I want Triss to have special dialogue if you're rocking her hair style.

Also those muttonchops are incredible.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If there aren't massive, static seagulls floating over the ocean that look like they're posing for an invisible space camera, I'm canceling my preorder now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lyer posted:

Yeah and that's the kicker. I have a 760 gtx and a i5 4570 and while I'll be able to play with better graphics, I wonder what the FPS will look like. Part of the reason why I like the PS4 version is because of the known quantity, we've seen ps4 gameplay and its 1080p at 30 fps.

If I wasn't a responsible adult, I'd just say gently caress it and buy a 970.

You could get it cheaper already on PC purely off of the discount for owning the previous games, but if you're worried you could just get it on PS4 now and then buy it again for $2 on Steam in a year or so (which is apparently the length of the game anyway). The Witcher series gets fantastic deals.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ice Fist posted:

"FYI Witcher fans: We finished most of the main game so we moved some people over to make this kick rear end expansion that will add tons of content. It'll be released later in the year."

I can't come up with a way to be mad about this without sounding ridiculous.

Sounding ridiculous has never stopped me from being upset

in fact, it is an active encouragement

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

drat this game is so pretty.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Of course, but my best easter egg didn't make it in, I couldn't get it working in time and got swamped with other things.

Whale, at least you tried

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

Yes. Yes I can.

Yennefer is incredibly jealous.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lareine posted:

Maybe if you frame it less as a "threesome" and more as a "gently caress contest"

She goes to tell Triss off in one of the books for just looking at Geralt, basically

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wouldn't mind having a game centered around Ciri one bit. She's the real main character of the novels anyway. Plus, it opens up more magical options.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

As long as you didn't bring in the cliff racers from FC4 I'm sure it'll be fine

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Drifter posted:

CDProjekt have shown they can make pretty good rpgs. It'll be nice to have an rpg not in a sword and sorcery setting that's made by CDProjekt.

What if it has a laser sword instead of a metal one

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Panzeh posted:

Ah, but will it be possible for Geralt to "consummate" his marriage with Dandelion?

OAquinas posted:

Uh, pretty sure they already "consummated" a bunch of times. And that's assuming there's anything left of Dandelion when Yennifer gets done with him...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If it's done ahead of schedule, does that mean the release date will be moved up? I'm guessing the answer is no, but I can dream.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Oh, I misread the beginning of the article then.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

It would be super-great if cloud saves were shared between PC and PS4.

Has any game done this? Portal 2 is the only one that comes to mind.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

30 gigs is actually a lot smaller than I was expecting considering the size of some things these days.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah I remember someone saying there's a Mass Effect style thing where you select your old choices.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm sure they won't cock this up for you

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Other games do it like that. I'm not a huge fan of it, but it's not like it's some outlandish idea if it were actually in the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It would probably be good if say, just the random drops or generic weapons scaled to your level, but uniques or quest rewards were always fixed.

I kind of like how Etrian Odyssey handled requirements though. Supposedly the way it works in that game, weapons have minimum stat requirements to get the full damage out of. You can still equip them no matter what, but you lose some proportional % effectiveness if you don't meet the requirements.

Having uniques stay a set level would be good. Or have weapons scale down to you so they aren't too powerful, but still go back to what they're supposed to be like when you reach the level you're meant to have it. Like you can't quite handle it properly because you suck too much.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I would imagine that he would have said something about it if he could.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Senjuro posted:

Book readers, what's the deal with the Nilfgaardian emperor? What's his story and how does it relate to Ciri and Geralt?

Ciri is a child of prophecy and he wants her for that, plus he wants her to solidify land claims in some of the lands Nilgaard conquered as she is the last living member of the royal family of Cintra.

Ciri is kind of Geralt's adoptive daughter, so obviously he takes issue with Nilfgaard abducting her.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Emperor doesn't give a poo poo about Ciri as a person from what I remember. Geralt and Yennefer, as her surrogate parents, do.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You should play the second one, it's a great game. It controls a lot better as well, though the tutorial is weirdly more difficult than what follows it for a while.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lycus posted:

Nilfgaard is down on magic? I don't know what the books say, but from the games, sorcerors seem to get a lot more respect there than they do in the North.

It's the opposite, Nilfgaardian mages have it much worse than northern ones. Keep in mind that mages in the North have positions of power in every court and their own fancy island all to themselves (or at least the did before it got all hosed up). In Nilfgaard, a mage is just the same as, say, a librarian. That is to say, ordinary.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Plus there's the whole Ciri thing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There are plenty of people in the world that are wrong, my friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I better be able to choose to not murder the troll during the decision selection part of Witcher 3.

• Locked thread