Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

nerox posted:

Survivor: Coach Island would be amazing.

Coach vs 17 pygmies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

SalTheBard posted:

Has anyone been listening to "The Evolution of Strategy" podcast series on RHAP? I'm almost done with Borneo and I found it really interesting look back at the series. Are any of the other seasons worth getting? I'm tempted just to spend the $20 and get the whole first season.

I've listened to all of them so far and would definitely recommend getting all of them. But if you were to pick and choose, the two season Rob was on (Amazon and All Stars) are by far the best. In terms of seasons that he wasn't on I think Pearl Islands is the best one of those, it was really hilarious. But really you should just get the whole set if you're a classic Survivor fan, its a more than reasonable price for how many hours of content it is.

It's great because Rob has kind of become very PC and non-confrontational on his podcast, he's much more candid in these and isn't afraid to be insulting even if he knows the contestant in real life and its hilarious.

STAC Goat posted:

I realize now what I meant when I called Eliza and Ami questionable "Favorites." It wasn't a criticism of them its just that I LOVE the other Favorites so drat much that Eliza and Ami felt lesser in comparison. James, Amanda, Cirie, Penner, Yau, and Parv are absolute favorites. I hate Fairplay but he's undeniably memorable on an upper tier level. I like Eliza and Ami but compared they just felt off to me at first. But they do their part and deliver in the season.

Ami was totally forgettable on Micronesia, but Eliza was responsible for probably the best moment of the whole season! (the just a loving stick thing) And then after that she has the best "reaction shot from the jury" expression faces of all time.

bbf2 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 18, 2015

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

STAC Goat posted:

I was calling him Coach Jr in my head from the second I saw him. It's not just the feathers. He's got that same smug act and ridiculous body language and deluded sense of self worth. He really just strikes me as someone who is very specifically aping Coach.

Who also happens to be a creepy sexual predator.

Coach actually gave off creepy sexual predator vibes as well in the first two episodes of Tocantins when he was dealing with Candace. He was speaking strangely with her and similarly trying to hug her and make subtle body contact. So Vince is even more similarly following in his footsteps.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Binary Logic posted:

Didn't help that after 2 blindsides, this week's vote was obvious and telegraphed.

KIA started off okay, but the time-crunch ending with Cesternino losing control of the stage was rough; he should only have called up all the former Survivors at once for a photo op. It's really hard to be insightful or amusing when someone asks a quick question and shoves a mic in your face.

Next week we get 2 hours; gotta be Will getting booted off then a swap or reshuffle.

Apparently a lot of this was because Rob told his viewing audience beforehand to limit the questions to less than 30 seconds but a bunch of them were drunk and ignored that rule and didn't get the hint when he was trying to tell them "OK, OK, thank you, now..." or "Let's save that for later"

Rob was trying to move them along but they weren't getting the hint and since most of them are Patrons who provide his wages and spent money to travel there and buy the tickets and whatnot he didn't have the heart to straight up tell them "Please sit down, that's enough"

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Binary Logic posted:

That describes every Asian game show.

There are a lot of players who aren't going to win. Really there are currently only 2 on each tribe who could potentially win.

Who knows, I'm pretty sure that for most of Cagayan we described Tony as someone who had no potential to win, and last season we would have said the same thing about Natalie too after three episodes (what with the loud screaming at John Rocker)

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

xcore posted:

So what is the rumour mill saying on other sites about what the "secret" is this year.

I'm referring to Jeff's comments around "we do something this year that we have wanted to do for a long time but never had. It works out really well"

This is just speculation but I'm spoiler tagging it anyway just in case no one wants any preconceived notions

The general consensus, based on speculation among other Survivor sites and the fan community, seems to be that it's most likely some sort of "vote doubler" where a contestant can find it and make their vote for a person count for two votes. The internet community has figured that this is probably the most likely twist based on what Jeff has said about the new twist, and the fact that he has responded directly to questions about this specific possibility in years past. Although it definitely could be way off.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Robnoxious posted:

Yeah, I don't get why RHAP has been sucking this guy's dick for years.
He pretty much did everything wrong out there and he's the so-called "expert" study of the game?

I don't remember Rob sucking this guy's dick. Maybe he was positive about him in some earlier recaps but he certainly hasn't been talking about him for multiple years.

In fact in a recent patron-cast Rob talked about how he actually DIDN'T like Max in real life because a year or two ago Max totally flaked out on him.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Binary Logic posted:

I doubt 1/2 the people who play (or watch) know the astrological signs of all past winners.
Max was lovely and uncomfortable to see on tv, probably was even worse for the people around him. This is a social game and he had no social skills or self-awareness. Tried to be Cochrane, but played like Garrett.

Max might be the only person on earth who knows the astrological signs of all past winners. I'm a gigantic Survivor geek, I've watched it since Day 1, I read and post about it on the internet and listen to multiple podcasts about it, I play Sporcle games about Survivor, I can name every season and winner in order easily and stuff like that.....even I don't have any clue what any former contestants astrological sign was. I feel like that was the perfect thing for them to capture Max saying to make even superfans like myself say "Oh wow, this guy is a bit much even for me"

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Shakugan posted:

I wonder if Max will be too embarrassed to ever run his Survivor class again. Because really... :laugh:

They really scored a trifecta with the guys in blue collar all being blatant chauvinists. It really is a shame that the tribe swap was so stacked, it's not an aspect of Survivor I like; there's too much randomness in tribe swaps like this that unlucky players can't do anything about. Alternatives should be considered, like doing the ol' pick captains who pick 2nds who each pick 3rds etc (perhaps saying you can't pick someone from your tribe or something?).

Personally I think in situations like this they should go with the two captains idea and have it be "one captain divides the tribes, the other one decides which tribe they want" scenario, I think that would be cleaner, especially with three tribes coming together.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

rafington posted:

I really don't understand why their target was Kelly of all people, like not only is she someone I never would have thought of, but they didn't even seem to question it.

Silly Burrito posted:

Didn't she say at the beginning that she was done with the blue tribe for sure, basically lying to them to their face?

This was addressed during the scene where Jenn, Hali and Shirin were sitting on a log and talking. They all felt annoyed by Kelly saying that she was with the No Collars right before the merge but once the merge happened she immediately went directly to Mike and spoke with him the entire time, so J/H/S figured out that she was totally lying. Because they were annoyed with Kelly lying to them they decided to make her the target (I'm sure the real life reasons were more than that, but that was the reason presented to viewers)

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Number19 posted:

This is similar to when Kelly was voted on on Samoa. She was Luara's #2 and when she was voted out the majority Galu tribe pretty much fell apart and never recovered. Laura lost her iron grip on things and the rest was pretty incredible to watch.

I see your point but the only reason they voted out Kelly S over Luara was because Luara won immunity that episode, it wasn't an intentional decision.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

MisterZimbu posted:

My preferred outcome was still Jenn using the idol on Hali after getting their information on the target from Will, but this was the second best result.

What else would have been fun is if Carolyn played her idol for Kelly after Jenn plays her idol, and Hali goes home from just one stray vote

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
So in case anyone hasn't been paying attention to the updated list for next season:

Greg loving Buis!

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Joose Caboose posted:

I'm not completely sure so someone correct me if I'm wrong - but I think the only time someone gave up their necklace and was not immediately voted out themselves was Jenna in Amazon.

Token Female posted:

It happened in Pearl Islands too between rupert an burton once or twice. But again, that's still a long time ago.

DoggPickle posted:

I don't think so either but it's been soooo long, I don't think anyone even considers doing it anymore, and therefore now I find it fascinating. Hahaha

The first time it happened was in Amazon, when Jenna gave it to Heidi. Jenna was not voted out because the everyone there were set on voting Christy out. She gave it up because, while she was relatively secure that Cesternino and his misfit alliance would agree to the deal they struck with the models to vote out Christy, just in case it fell through she felt sick and didn't totally mind if she was voted out whereas she knew Heidi was trying hard to win and wanted to do a favor for a friend. Christy was voted out as planned so it didn't affect anything, and Jenna went on to win the game.

The second time it happened was indeed in Pearl Islands, where at the merge Burton gave the immunity necklace to Rupert because of the fact that Burton was immune already due to being a returning Outcast so the necklace was just a luxury. Burton was immune and Rupert was never getting voted out at that point anyway so it was a mostly meaningless gesture.

The third time it happened was in Season 16, Fans vs Favorites, where Erik was absolutely and completely mindfucked and gave away the necklace to Natalie for reasons that no one truly understands, and was immediately voted out afterwards while everyone laughed at him for being stupid.

The fourth time it happened was South Pacific, where Brandon Hantz gave his immunity to Albert for reasons that don't really make any sense at all and no one truly understands because Brandon is a crazy person, and of course he was immediately voted out afterwards.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Watch the first 7 episodes of Thailand and then skip the rest.

Amazon is awesome

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Spatula City posted:

In general Kass's AMA is a pro-read,

Especially with Spencer randomly popping in to troll her

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
In her Ponderosa videos Shirin said that she was used to people like Will yelling at her and verbally assaulting her, and the reason she started crying shortly after that incident wasn't because of Will's abusive words but tears of happiness because when Mike stepped in and defended her it was the first time that a man ever came rushing in to defend her from something like that. Which is both :smith: and :unsmith:

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

mancalamania posted:

I know I sound like a broken record, but I must be missing something: how does anyone here expect one of Rodney's four to go home next week? Even if Sierra and Dan BOTH flip and Dan uses the extra vote, it's a 4-4 tie and on the re-vote Dan has already used his extra vote. There's no way to trick Rodney's alliance into splitting the vote, since even if they think they have Sierra, 5 votes isn't enough to split the vote against 2 people with Dan's extra vote (which Tyler knows about).

Do people think someone in Rodney's four will flip? Otherwise, the only scenario in which one of the Rodney 4 leaves is if Mike gets lucky and plays the idol on the right person (and he already showed this episode that he's not really planning on playing it on anyone but himself). Even IF Mike plays it correctly, Carolyn can counter-play her idol if she has an idea about who Mike voted for. And keep in mind that Mike has been proudly announcing his vote and seems completely unaware of Carolyn's idol.

What am I missing here?

Rodney told Sierra in this episode that the plan is to get rid of Tyler after getting rid of Mike, we know Mike can't leave this week so they might be forced to move that timetable forward by one

ApplesandOranges posted:

Looking back at this week's episode, I think that if Mike does go home somewhere down the line, Sierra has a better shot of winning than most people think, simply because she's been winning over the jury. She's been on good terms with Mike, Shirin, Jenn and Hali. Dan would likely vote for her especially now that he's been backstabbed by Tyler and Will. Rodney might vote her just because Collar. Joe would vote her simply by extension of her being the best of the worst remaining. That would be 4-7 votes fairly easily.

The worst part is that Will seems to be given a straight ticket to the finals at this point. Which is bad because even if he doesn't win, you still get a cash prize for sitting at the FTC, and there's no reason you should reward someone like Will for that.

I hope someone pulls a Vytas/Reed and gives a random vote to whoever is in the F3 besides the winner and Will just out of spite to deny Will as much money as possible. (Like if its Tyler, Sierra and Will or something like that, someone gives Sierra a random vote so that Tyler wins 7-1 instead of 8-0 just so Will gets third place prize money instead of being tied for second)

bbf2 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 30, 2015

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

xbilkis posted:

Future season casting: I've been trying to stay out of the loop on the potential returnees, but apparently Greg Buis has been cut and the field of returnees, down to 32, still includes people like Jim Rice. So, basically, gently caress this show

I guarantee you Greg himself was the one who eventually declined. They've been trying to get back him on for a long time and he has been turning them down

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

AlbertRayon posted:

Why is everyone acting like Survivor is aired in real time? He'd be gone for a little more than a month.

Because he wouldn't be able to do podcasts, coverage and analysis of a season that he was on.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Lone Goat posted:

Are any of the RHAP Second Chance interviews worth listening to? My podcast plate is pretty full and I'd need a second job to listen to another 30 hours of stuff.

Shane's is a must-listen. Jeff Varner (who brings in a guest) and Abi Maria's are great as well.

BGrifter posted:

I dug back a little and he did podcast about Nicaragua, so I must be mixing up missing entire seasons. I remember him talking about not following Survivor as much for a while and coming on to podcast about life in general/old seasons/whatever in one of his monster 3+ hour podcasts but browsing through the RHAP archive I'm not sure when that was.

At this point I've listened to so many hours of RHAP it's started to blur together. Kicked the habit recently and switched to stuff like Grantland, can't say I feel like I'm missing much.

You picked a real bad time to start getting invested in Grantland

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I'd be fine with no more tribe swaps if they always started with three tribes. Two tribes without a swap easily leads to stupid death cults full of people playing for 4th place. Tree hole idols are dumb but fair so it's not a huge problem.

They should bring back the voluntary tribe swap. It's always interesting.

No, it was only interesting the one time in Cook Islands when it actually happened. Every other time we've seen the producers put it on on the table on TV (Thailand and Tocantins) it's lead to no one swapping. In fact there are some seasons where Jeff offers up a mutiny and it was cut out of the show entirely because no one did it.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
I'm seriously dumbfounded by the S31 vote. I was honestly prepared for a "casual vote recency bias-mageddan" where the 10 most recent contestants made it on and all the earlier people missed out (which was basically my nightmare scenario), and I was also prepared for a scenario that fit more in line with the fan website exit polls that were more or less along the lines of what I wanted.

What I was NOT prepared for, however, was a weird situation where my top choice for the men's poll (Shane) and my top choice for the women's poll (T-Bird) were both left out while the rest of my list from 2-11 was basically left intact. I don't understand how its possible that old school people that I thought were on the bubble like Varner/Terry/Savage/etc (even though I voted for all of them) got on while Shane didn't when I thought Shane was a lock. I understand to some degree why Teresa would be left off but it still seemed to me like Teresa would be out most of the other people from pre-season 20. All very odd. I certainly can't say I'm unhappy with the cast but I am just baffled as to how it came together.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
A few days after a season ends, all off-season Survivor discussion inevitably becomes "Did Russell Hantz deserve to win" chat

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Tide posted:

No idea how you would get your body ready to have an extreme drop in calorie intake.

Aras has said he prepared for both his seasons by basically eating nothing but fruit for 2 weeks leading up to going on Survivor, so that he shrinks his stomach and doesn't feel much in the way of hunger pains when he was competing. This lead to him never really feeling the same hunger shock as everyone else.

Others have said its better to pack on the pudge a little bit to help keep you insulated, so its not an exact science.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

BGrifter posted:

I think Shane was dead on when he said Terry needs to find a brain. He's a smart guy, but he's so thoroughly conditioned into military thinking he doesn't really have the social skills for a game like Survivor. He knows how to lead, knows how to follow, but isn't particularly good at those soft interpersonal skills.

I'm rewatching Panama for the first time right now and Terry's attempts to get the lower tier Casaya members to flip to his side after the merge are almost painfully bad.

His team is down 4-6 and he is trying to hustle to get someone to flip but he seems unable to even entertain the notion of promising anyone final 4 or beyond because he's so stuck to his La Mina members. So all his pitches are like "Hey, Bruce/Cirie/whoever...I have a solid 4. How would you like to join us and then you wouldn't have to worry about anything for the next two weeks?"

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

DoggPickle posted:

I get the seasons mixed up after so much time, and sometimes they are just numbered instead of named. Is Gabon the first one with coach and also the worst athlete ever to athlete? And what number is that? It's also confusing that some are on Hulu and some are on Amazon. That's actually one I might go back and watch again.

Coach was the season afterwards but you are correct that Gabon was the one with the worst athlete ever to athlete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Factor Mystic posted:

I miss Jeff kicking people off a boat and them having to scramble for supplies. I also miss Adventure Jeff.... the one perma-disappointment of modern seasons :(

Minor spoilers for season 31 from a Jeff interview....
You're in luck for the first part, Jeff said in his on-site EW interview that for the beginning of S31 they were going to do the boat/scramble thing again.

I wouldn't hold out hope for Indiana Jeff though

• Locked thread