Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I saw some of the "mini-dungeons" last night while mining. They're cool, but I wish they were better themed or had say, ores in them. Also, despite the variety they say is in the game, of the 5 I bumped into, two were apex stations with boxes, and three were arcade cabinet rooms.

Three secret apex twin-arcade cabinet modules underground just seems strange. The thing I'll say toward Terraria is the ramshackle mining huts actually looked like they sort of belonged down there. Powered arcade rooms with no entrances less so. This isn't really a "my immersion" thing but more practical: if these are supposed to make mining less boring, then make them filled with ores so I'm actually excited when I see the thing instead of passing over some decorative items I already have seen a bunch.

On the other hand combat is definitely more fun and energy usage is more sane. The game was bombing for me a lot but I didn't seem to lose progress so only a minor annoyance that will hopefully be fixed soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

So the Dreadwing fight is super annoying and unfun. Any suggestions for how to get past this thing?
I could see the fight being interesting if he had 1/3 or even half the health, but this is just a slog.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

So the new human durasteel armor is cool, but I really liked the older Outrider's Set, which looked a good bit like ODST armor. Does anyone know if the old models hung around at all?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

I wanted to add to that list a mod worth getting:
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/perennial-crops.2403/
This mod makes it so you never have to replant crops. Even stuff like potatoes will automatically replant, like tomatoes and corn and other crops do, so you don't have to keep going back over your farm to manually replant seeds.

How do you install this? I made a folder called "PerennialCrops" under mods and dragged the modpak in but I don't think it's loading.

Also, there really needs to be a mod that makes MorphBall not have a running energy cost; that is loving stupid.

Edit: Welp, the modding decline has begun already. "Enhanced Body Shape" for bustier robots (and others) :suicide:
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/enhanced-body-shape.774/

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 2, 2015

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Sorry, I should have specified.
That's an older mod version. It's still compatible, but you have to put the .modpak file directly into the /mods/ folder, rather than making a subfolder for it. It should work fine.
Also, I recommend redownloading it because it just updated within the last half hour to support a few wild plant types that were changed.

Thanks.

Just spotted this mod, which is pretty sweet: ground penetrating radar.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/ground-penetrating-radar-station.2512/

This is really slick looking.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Section Z posted:

Well, I ALMOST made it through my first shot through the mines.

I'd be happy to give you a hand with this if you want; I'm reasonably geared so I can help you out. Doing the dungeons in MP is A Good Idea because the instance won't reset when you die as long as one person is still active in it, even if they're just sitting somewhere. This counts for the boss too: they don't even need to be in the boss chamber. There really needs to be some sort of difficulty option, though: bosses have so much health it's annoying, I just want to get back to playing space legos.

Vib Rib posted:

Taken from 4chan, but if you're like me and just want to actually be able to use all the nice blocks and furnitures that are already in the game, here's a mod excerpt:

These mods are perfect. I feel like the microdungeons should have an "implode" button that reduces them to blocks because breaking them down is a nightmare but these are way easier.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

I can't stop playing this stupid loving game I hate

It's actually in a better place than I had thought it would be, and modding is fixing a lot of the problematic elements. Glowing ores is so useful at alleviating the issue of how crappy mining is that it's practically mandatory for fun.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 2, 2015

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

THE loving MOON posted:

The next (last?) upgrade I need to get for the MM is the 4x4 one, and I went ahead and decided to try out a diamond drill last night just to see how much faster it is. Hadn't used a drill of any kind before.

Turns out it's a lot slower. Man, by the time drills become available there's no good reason to use them. If you keep up with your MM upgrades it's just flat out better and doesn't waste inventory space.

Drills suck, laser supremacy

Yeah this is true. A few diamond picks are probably worth your while if you find a bunch during the titanium-era but after that the manipulator is pretty much the end all.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This has convinced me to build somewhere below the sea. I do think that the RNG needs to cool it with those random buried rooms, there are WAY too many of them.

But they're what makes mining fun! :hurr:

I agree entirely though; if they were a bit more varied or spread out, it would work wonders.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Speedball posted:

There's a glowing ores mod?!

Jesus I need this. That would make this game so much less annoying.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/illuminated-ores.2429/

Easy-peasy. It really makes a big chunk of the tedium out. It actually shocks me how much ore there is, since it felt so sparse before. It's like turning every map into an asteroid map.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, in general I'd like to be able to do *something* with Gas Giants. Like, maybe not beam down to it so I can be whipped around in a planetary megastorm for a while, but something like what you've got there.

Oh!

The high-atmosphere colony ships on gas giants should all just be randomized high-tech "dungeon" biomes themed by what race (or Alien) made them, and ranked by difficulty. So, a Gas Giant is where you go if you want to just do a dungeon run.

Edit: the imaginary version of this game is really cool, guys

This is a super cool idea and you should post it on the SB forums or tweet it to the devs or something. It's really that good.

Imagine one of those human Penal Colonies orbiting the gas planet, or an Apex Cloud City full of traders. So cool.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

>Block Crafting Table
http://community.playstarbound.com/...ing-table.2410/
Adds a crafting table that uses material-based recipes rather than pixels to craft decorative block types from throughout the game. Great for diversity of building materials you don't have to ransack for. Great for base builders.

>Block Replicator
http://community.playstarbound.com/...eplicator.1675/
Aegisalt-level tech that lets you mass-print blocks at the cost of voxels (compressed pixels). Great for the casual builder. Also comes in even more advanced Violium and Rubium variants. Can be used with Block Crafting Table to get the "seed" blocks to repliate later.

>Decoration Crafting Table
http://forums.playstarbound.com/ind...ing-table.2431/
Adds a crafting table that can craft almost any existing decorative item using simple in-game materials rather than pixels. Also eliminates having to hunt down random biome recipes for every single character you make. Great for base builders.
TO FIX FOR NEWEST UPDATE: Install original, delete "tarpitchest.object" from recipe folder, then overwrite with this patch: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ec0hihzqv...%20fix.rar?dl=0

>Pixel Goods Store
http://community.playstarbound.com/...ods-store.1348/
Adds a vending machine merchant from which you can buy all sorts of custom decoration and furniture. Spritework is very nice, lots of cool stuff including racial and generic furniture, anything from trophies to bathtubs to bookshelves made of lava-seamed obsidian.

Trip report: The Block Replicator isn't as good as the crafting table. It costs a lot (20 uranium bars, 20 aegisalt bars, 10k pixels) to make and has a much smaller selection.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Space Bat posted:

I was one switch away from beating the mine boss, then a pink guy destroyed my shield, I was reduced to like one HP and as I was eating a bandage I began to fall. even with the HP regen nothing could save me from Starbound Fall Damage.
I can't wait to start all over.

If you can host a server I'll tag along and beat stuff up for you.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah I give it another two or three weeks before the new version hype fades completely, but the crucial thing will be what Chucklefish does in that time. If they can go back to updating at a reasonable pace (especially now that they don't have any big excuses) or at least not once every couple of months, it'll be nice.

Well we just got a patch, and I hope you didn't like outpost short crates or lab lockers like I did, because those went down to 16 and 9 slots respectively.

On the plus side, lunar base lockers shot up to 48 slots so they're super useful now.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I wouldn't mind this mining base boss thingy so much if, after getting killed by it, I didn't have to go back through the whole loving stage again. Feh.

Checkpoints would really, really, really benefit the missions.

Vib Rib posted:

I think I've managed a kind of fix, but my modding skills are super rusty so forgive me if something's gone wrong.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iz309ci79c29ap8/unofficial%20replicator%20patch.rar?dl=0
This unofficial patch I've made adds about 16 recipes to all three replicators, which should fully cover anything you can craft at the block crafting station.

Thanks! I can't remember exactly what was missing but it was metal stuff. I guess it was because you could make them using other methods, but I had wanted the bulk production.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Summing up all the thoughts I have with Starbound, the sentiment would be largely the same as this article: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/03/dear-avalanche-please-let-just-cause-3-focus-on-fun/#more-267677

Please stop trying to put the game before the fun. Gating is stupid in an open world game.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

XboxPants posted:

This is great to hear, and if it takes no more than a month that'd be fantastic. I hope this will allow them (or modders) to build checkpoints into missions.

I really hope this includes changeable beam-down points for planets.

And yes, the time-to-patch for this is going to be the real decider on how much credibility to give CF as a developer now.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 3, 2015

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

:confused: "Fred?"
:clint: "Yeah Bob?"
:confused: "Not to question your authority -- you are the boss, of course -- but did we have to, I mean, was it strictly necessary to build our stilt-shack in the poison marsh? And do I need to stand guard down here, in the poison marsh?
:clint: "I'm getting real sick of your poo poo Bob. Real sick of it."

((This is seriously awesome and you should feel great about it.))

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 4, 2015

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

So are they going to be changing the quests?

The fetchy nature would be resolved if they used the quests to introduce you to come of the cool dungeon types. E.g., for the avian temple thing, give you coordinates to a temple. For the Airship map, tell you what planet an airship is on and make the birds hostile.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

The scaling pixel compressor loss is an awesome idea. You're incentivized for collecting lots of pixels and rewarded for not dying. This is how it should be ITT.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Zeron posted:

I thought you'd quoted the wrong thing, but nope it's just the really annoying thing where mod authors throw in stuff completely unrelated to the mod premise just cause instead of making separate mods.

Yeah I hate this sort of thing too, it's how really dumb modding arguments begin (Gategate anyone?). The idea is awesome though.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

dPB posted:

Is it possible to to join on missions like the lunar base in multiplayer? if so, how?

From your own ship, talk to your AI and go to the lunar base. There is one shared instance of the dungeon for everyone.

As a bonus, it won't reset if someone dies as long as at least one person is still alive in the instance.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

LordSaturn posted:

Has anybody got suggestions on how to beat the Floran Party? Melee combat is the least fun thing in this game.

I had a sword that shot pulses of stuff and would open the door, close it, and then shoot them through the door.

You can also lure them out of the arena and stand on a platform, plinking at them

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

MrPants posted:

I tried playing this again after the update. I kind of had fun mining around my starting planet, making some armor, making a big farm, and then going to a different planet to mine some more for different stuff. Then the tutorial got to the point with the guy who wants coffee and it was a constant steam of running back and forth crafting one little item, more running around and 0 reward. That was pretty much bullshit but I was still willing to give it a chance. Then I did the Erchius base. That seemed unnecessarily difficult for a tutorial mission. I had to play it like 10 times to beat it. I play a lot of roguelikes so I have a fairly high tolerance for getting killed and trying again and that stupid mission was on the verge of making me quit trying to enjoy this poo poo.

Once I finally completed the mission, I got the crystals. I beamed back to my ship, it played the mission completion tune and started talking about the FTL drive being repaired. It then promptly crashed. Now the FTL drive isn't actually fixed, the quest is completed and I can't add fuel to the ship. I am stuck in the tutorial forever it seems with no work around. Oh I guess there were some suggestions to start a new character and try again.

So, in conclusion, gently caress this stupid loving game.

This seems to be a bug related to using a character from the nightly through the Erchius quest. it sucks, I know at least two other goons had the same problem.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

The shitposting was better when there were funny gifs.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Bitter Beard posted:

I hate it and even my kids that love playing it have stopped making new chars because of this forced progression nonsense. Great to have dungeons and the option to do them but when you are forced to do it, gets annoying.

I've taken to just using admin powers to get my kids past the mandatory parts, hopefully they give the option to turn off or auto completes it.

In all seriousness, you should tweet/email this to the devs. Minecraft lives off the backs of the kids that play it obsessively, and I'm sure Starbound wants that too.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

LordZoric posted:

New stable update showed up on my Facebook feed. I have a lot of posts in the old SB thread about how excited I was for this game. I have to say, Chucklefish has done a very impressive job of killing almost all the enthusiasm I had with their insanely unfocused design decisions. They need some sort of project manager really badly.

It says energy was rebalanced, is this any good?

I'd check myself but I would rather be playing any other game.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Trastion posted:

Yeah that's a good idea because I can go in and go back to my home planet before steam automatically updates my game for me.

Looks like you got Starboned

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

Terraria is also poo poo btw

The forced linearity of Terraria made that less fun, too. It was cool to find a floating island and get jump boots or whatever, but now you need to finish the dungeon to collect keys to open chests and RRGHGHGHGHHGHGHGHGH.

Why does nobody want me to have Fun In Videogames anymore?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah the colonization thing is what I've been looking forward to the most for a long time now. I like making towns and villages in games like this, now it can finally start paying off!

Yes but first you need to collect bugs to give to someone so you can learn how to ask people to move into your buildings.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

You have to kill a boss (or find, rarely, in a chest) in order to have a chance at an item you have to spend every time you want to add a generic NPC to one of your colonies

:negative:

I thought the whole story was that combat/farming/building would be separate progression pathways? Wasn't that the justification for the lovely combat system?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Supernorn posted:

I'm not bitter at all! Sorry if you're reading it that way. Let's keep that criticism pointed at the game though, okay.

Thanks for the tree comments. Pretty happy with how it's looking, just need to expand on it a bit further.

Eonwe I looked it up and I have to be an American to donate. Am I going to be arrested in the middle of the night if I make a donation?

Does the background change with the density of foreground trees?

I think Terraria does this and I'm sorta mixed on it; it seems cool until you have this thicket of trees that changes the biome for half a second while you run past it.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Supernorn posted:

We're putting some more work into weapons, It's coming along nicely and now we can do way more interesting stuff that wasn't possible before:

This should be a starting weapon, gently caress birds.

I would really, really love something like this for mining, like a Ghostbusters positron beam that just churns through rock. Mining is tedious as hell but if I could dig awesome, natural looking tunnels with something like this it would become really cool.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 23, 2015

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I love it, especially the atlas holding it up at the bottom.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Wasn't it so many people excitedly leaping on a barely-understood space game with cherry picked promo footage that got us into this mess in the first place?

As it's been said in the Star Citizen thread, nerds + starships = money faucet.

Part of the problem too is that when the Alpha for Starbound was released, it was actually pretty fun. It had problems (as an alpha would, of course) but I think it was actually more fun than quest railroad we have now. Like you said, the failure with Starbound is to go from that point in some direction, rather than shuffling about trying to make anybody happy.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Freakbox posted:

Well, someone got on, at least :3: It's nice seeing a grumpy new face whining about the tedious, arbitrary progression quest system. ((which can mostly be circumvented with frackin' universe, now. wooo. :gonk:))

Edit: 4 goons were on at once :neckbeard: It was nice! Thank you for the music, BirdBard.

You can circumvent the quest system now? How?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Can we have the op updated to remove all the references to this being a decent or interesting game with any chance of being good? I think we need a big and legit disclaimer there.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Cicadas! posted:

A better analogy would be someone ripping a gnarly fart as they powerwalk at max speed through a room full of people complaining about how bad it smells already.

I never understood the ripping on Supernorn. It's not the like dude is behind all the poo poo decisions, he's just the messenger.

I mean, I do understand it, in that goons will shoot anyone, especially the messenger, but still.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Supernorn posted:

Progression is incredibly important to the game. And it does give players a sense of direction or purpose to what would otherwise be a straight sandbox. The current progression isn't final, it's something that we've been working towards the last few updates, and the quests you have to do right now are artificial placeholders to keep some sort of progression intact. Right now it's in a limbo state where it's getting overhauled, but not all of those pieces are there yet. I definitely share your frustration on that front, because they are a little jarring right now.

So, there's nothing really wrong with a straight-up sandbox. I would really like a sandbox game mode that let you advance and upgrade at your own pace, rather than chasing down fetch quests for bugs or obscure decorative pieces so that I can do what I really want to do (upgrade my drat ship).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Cicadas! posted:

But beyond all that I have one simple, serious question that I want you to answer, if you honestly give a drat about having a real conversation here and you're not just drive-by dumping again.

Why is it, 3+ years into development, combat and other core systems of the game are still being changed and worked on? Other people have said it before, but it really bears repeating that these are CORE FEATURES that should really be hammered out in the first year of development or so, before you even think about worldbuilding or critters or other kinds of feature creep.

I think they already answered this, it boils down to the game being waaay more popular at the start of Early Access than anticipated. Instead of bucking down and working on the core stuff, they spent a lot of time making the game "wide" so there was something to do during EA. Then in an effort to keep the populace happy and build more hype, they kept piling smaller side stuff on top of that.

When it came time to really get into finish the game and working on the serious features, they realized they'd built a building with no foundation and more or less have been trying to untangle the rats nest and rebuild the core experience without everything toppling.

• Locked thread