Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

How do i install the mod.patch mods like the glowing ores? Appearently im a moron and broke my game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Bilal posted:

There is no way that the developers making this game tested their own boss fights. It's stupid difficult to destroy the 4th boss penguin mech.

Firstly, you drop into a tiny open arena with no cover, no areas to jump to, etc. It's Fox Only No Items Final Destination. First he starts with bursts of 3 missiles. Missiles are easy enough to destroy (can't be dodged because they home in, if you jump over them they rotate and gain insane speed.) But they do about 90% of my health if I get hit. After you take him down a little bit of health, he switches to an electrical arc attack that fills the screen. These are somewhat easy to dodge or block. Then he switches to a flamethrower attack, which is really weak, which I'm convinced is to lure you into a false sense of security.

After using the flamethrower attack, he does this move where he sprints across about 75% of the arena, with no telegraph whatsoever, at insane speed. Does 330 damage and kills me in one hit. All in all you basically cannot get hit once in that boss fight because it'll do 80-100% of your health in one hit. I've done this fight probably 20 times over by now and I'm just going into admin mode and cheating my way through it.

I would love for any one of the Starbound devs to post a video of themselves beating the penguin mech without godmoding and using the armor and weapon tiers that you would have in normal gameplay. I doubt they can.

I died once to the boss. Then i knew its attacks. And had bandages. It died relatively quickly.

Or, you could use the cheap method and shoot the poo poo out of it while its off screen and out of aggro range. cheater.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Guns are awful. I have yet to find a decent one and the crafted suck too. Not to mention, if you dont use the Magitech lovely armor you can only shoot one round before energy needs to recharge.

The Cerulium Technomancy stuff does less than 10 damage to max level humanoid mobs. (Werent those mobs supposed to be balanced with the patch?) Seriously, Impervium gear is the only stuff that semi-lets you live at end game. There are a ton of planets with mobs and humanoids that 1 shot you while taking a minimum of 4(mobs) and 15(humanoids) hits to kill using the strongest 2handed weapons. WTF is CF thinking?

I went from being "OMG AWESOME :D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" to "gently caress this game, it sucks rear end" in the span of about 10 minutes. But thats also partially becuase Apex Lockers got nerfed and i lost 700+ bars of the 3 end game metals and almost 1k diamonds. gently caress this game. Im gonna go play Terraria which sucks rear end but not as much as Starbound.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Just use a Ferozium rocket launcher and armor, all you have to do then is remember not to kill yourself with it.

Ferozium Rocket Launcher hits for just under 1200 before armor.

my 1827 damage per shot sniper rifle does 36 damage to the guards in this Avian Tomb... the rocket launcher? 3.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I'll grab em when I get home from work.

Sadly I loaded up terraria and realized even with my pissed off attitude towards starbound... Starbound was still the better game.

My biggest annoyance was the apex locker change. I tore down 4 of those wierd bases that are made of pressurized steel to use for my base. Do you know how long that takes? For loving ever. And I lost half of that work because cf has some retard who can't even post a "hey guys were changing these storage containers soon. Just a heads up!"

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Its not about losing the space so much as no warning and losing all the materials i had in there for my base.

Also, i didnt know the /admin command unlocked literally everything for crafting even when its off. While nice on one hand, i now have 0 reason to explore. (appearently i lied. I just failed to take off the /admin before i checked. Derp. All is good in the starboundhood.)

Man, i cant wait for more mods to get added. I really want Fracken Flora, Extra Biomes, etc.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 4, 2015

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

x: 84510553 y: -66927251 Gamma Fribbilus Xax 056, IV, the big Ice ball planet.

The avian tomb is directly to the right of spawn, like 1 screen over or so. If you need the Moon Emblam, just run in, drop down the center and head straight over to the left. there should 1 or 2 in there.

These coordinates are for the 64bit client btw, the planet

The basic monsters will 1shot you in impervium armor here. I did find some seriously powerful 2h weapons when digging down from spawn, not to far down there are some glitch tomb things with chests, got a 2h bone hammer that hits for almost 2k damage. High enough to pop the armor of the avians in 3 or 4 shots as opposed to the Impervium 2h 1200 damage hammer taking 10 or more hits.\\

Sidenote to this planet: head to the left, when you start getting into the glowvine plant stuff, look for purple chests. 2190 damage per swing swords and Lightbows seem pretty common and tons of the chests spawn.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 4, 2015

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Afraid of Audio posted:

Give it a little longer, I can feel the walls beginning to give.

The walls are being rebuilt out of tears and flesh. They will hold far longer than you think. As long as your thinking less than a week. ... :(

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Afraid of Audio posted:

I like you Section Z, I don't think I've ever said that before but you're pretty alright.

AoA: Best poster 2015.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Section Z posted:

Tomatos seem dead set against ever dropping seeds when picking them. I got lucky and found ONE tomato seed. It took ten times before picking the food from the vine decided to give me a second seed.

I do admittedly prefer the new method of "You found/made a food! now you know recipes that directly involve it!". Instead of "You know how to make bread! You have some bananas! gently caress knowing how to make banana bread by default if you are not Apex!" Though I do miss people starting with some wheat, AND a second type of seed.

As many silly things there have been, and still are, at least some things are clear improvements.

EDIT: I do wish chest loot replaced most cases of "You found food that has a related seed" with "Have some seeds". I found plenty of tomatos and pineapples in chests, but no SEEDS for ages for either.

Or allow people to break the plant item down into seeds. Like 1 tomato turns into 3 or 4 seeds.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I'm pretty thankful for my av. Best one currently on SA. It's pretty much as awesome as starbound.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Awesome! posted:

has anyone considered the fact that the stars have not consented to being bound and this whole game is incredibly troubling?
?

For that matter, the planets have not consented to being searched. So basically, your committing star-rape every time you go somewhere and mine.

Pochoclo posted:

WE... WILL... NOT... BE .. BOUND!!!

HEY! i know that reference! Homeworld 1!

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Musluk posted:

It should be a huge deal, but we live in the post early access world.

It should read "we live in a post Electronic Arts world."

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, and I'm looking forward to this game having some sort of endgame, because I like screwing around and wasting time WAY more when I know there's a story or major goal I should be aiming for (no sarcasm. See also: Skyrim, Shenmue, Just Cause 2)

I have a bad habit of doing this and then forgetting there actually IS a story, then i get burnt out on playing, quit, and then never finish it.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't know, aside from obsidian, my 4x4 MM is doing a hell of a job already.

Once you max the MM it shouldn't take a year to mine the tough materials. That's my biggest gripe overall.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Musluk posted:

Welp, should've wished for a better game.

Maybe he should have wished for a better poster to mock his wish.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Musluk posted:

better posters don't read the starbound thread tho

Touche. You are among the best posters in this thread sir. May the forum lords continue to smile on your posts.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

The missing head from the other gate is on that thing. Looks like... a giant eye?

Its actually the players anus. You get to insert a Starbound into it at some point. And then your mouth apparently. In that order specifically.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Thats actually really neat looking, even with your own characters anus on the portal now. Im glad Starbound has good artists and devs otherwise we wouldnt get this much awesome in 1 screenshot. Now all it needs is a Cl4p-TP voice over and some skrillix tracks to be beautiful.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Afraid of Audio posted:

They believe you are one of the people who paid $200 to the kickstarter because of a joke.

There was never a kickstarter for starbound, starpal.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

This thread is on the verge of becoming stagnant... We must post more!

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Starbound is a fantastic game. Better than Aliens: colonial marines. Which is another of my favorite games

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

The previous 3 posts are factually inaccurate.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

I would assume that lack of mobility is the tradeoff for all the advantages staff users get over melee/ranged users.

The advantages of what, being killed before your mediocre attack can do (at most!) 1/10th their health in damage?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

The plot thickens

Proof that starbound is almost as amazing as Homeworld. I wish lowtax was on my friends list. I might almost feel special

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Afraid of Audio posted:

There is no chance of that happening, godspeed.

How does one have such knowledge AoA?

I feel as though every time i see more "LETS ADD MORE GATING MECHANICS TO COOL IDEAS SO THINGS ARE TEDIOUS AND BORING HARD" a piece of me dies. And then i remember that AoA said starbound will never be good and i fear he is right.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

sword_man.gif posted:

oh boy an overarching plot that involves temples what're the odds that it's some uninspired horseshit poorly combining halo and cthulhu mythos about a big mysterious evil and an ancient civilization

To be fair it's an easy plot to fill for and a fairly probable one at that. Seems most Sci-fi fans love those stories and im no exception.

Although I am one of those people that gets frustrated to hell every time humanity wins against aliens with technology that's at the very least 100,000 years more advanced.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Cicadas! posted:

Maybe it's a case of "It's so primitive, no one would try and use it against us" and they just don't design their defenses around it? If you're traveling around in a spaceship that shoots disintegrating lasers, you're probably going to design around keeping yourself from being disintegrated, not chunks of metal propelled by explosions. It is a bit silly in some cases, though, like how all the aliens have a REALLY obvious weakpoint that I guess they just hope nobody shoots a photon torpedo into?
My favorite example of this idea that I've always thought was plausible and cool was in the War of the Worlds, where humanity was no-doubt-about-it hosed but they get a last minute save because the aliens all got sick and died from earthgerms.

Yeah. But you also gotta consider that if your powerful enough to travel vast distances through the Galaxy your most likely going to have created materials for your ship that are more resistant to every possible form of attack than any 'young' race would be able to toss at you.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Evilreaver.... I demand you mind control tiy and make starbound good before he adds paid mods via workshop support. You all know its coming.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

It's toobad you neckbeards scared the Chucklefish people away. If they still checked in they might have actually seen some of these good ideas and tried to implement them.

It's a good thing nobody wants starbound to actually be good.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I just uninstalled it the other night. First time uninstalled sadness never happened... I think I realized that the game will be nothing but bad until the right modders come around and sell their mods to us all.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Can it run Doom?

It runs buttdoom: hole decimator

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

I can't believe I had high hopes for starbound.

Starbound is a game for people with taste. It's fantastic in all the right ways and continues to be what other games aspire to. Look at terraria as an example: the devs are making a pure carbon copy of moon monsters and moon gameplay. They are stealing from starbound.

Then take a look at terraria: other world. They practicly stole starbound combat system to make the game remotely fun. I'm the alpha trust me.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

bruh i'm mad alpha

pound some brews and play some starbound

Time for a starpound.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Jackard posted:

I'd rather not.

Too late. It's already on your mind. The features are promising and the gameplay should be more metroid-ish. It will eat your wallet and then your soul.

Starbound on the other hand... Its already in your rear end and mouth.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

You know... I hated terraria for years. And then I played starbound. I liked starbound. Alot. Then the devs went nuts with "progression" and now I prefer terraria. I'm actually looking forward to the update. Who knows... Maybe in 4 years I'll do the same with Starbound and another game.

Sorry guys.. I truly have given up on starbound. I think ti needs to fire himself as creative director or whatever and actually get someone who cares about the game and community to run things. Someone who has experience with game development that doesn't consist of ripping final Fantasy sprites.

Supernorn : please pitch this idea to the whole team. Fire Ti. Ty... However he spells it. He ruined my favorite game and I can't forgive him.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I keep this thread in my bookmarks cause i keep hoping.... but then i see every update takes a potential fun idea and gates it behind extreme tedium and boring crap.

I think the worst part is that at one point starbound was better than terraria and then tiy decided that starbound needed to follow terrarias boring rear end grindy nature but be even worse.

Norn: please fire tiy. He shouldnt be allowed to touch the game anymore.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Imagine an entire planet of sand.

Also what Brussom said.

I miss sand mining so much..

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Rrussom posted:

I dont, infact i think it makes the game worse.

You take that back... Alpacas are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Afraid of Audio posted:

I believe in Starbound.

This is truly the most unironic and terrible post you have ever made. You should be ashamed.

• Locked thread