Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Reporting in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Still loving around in the early tutorial, and I just burned 10 copper picks to get to the lowest layer of my starter planet where the fragments are.

Like, it's nice that they made the MM better and that it can get upgrades, but I'm not sure how I stand on picks being like consumables that you chew through. It's just fairly tedious to make your first dig with the MM and hunt for enough copper so that you can churn out a bag of picks and then dig again for proper amounts of ore :shrug:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Yo, someone please spoil the mining outpost boss fight for me. I just don't feel like finding out on my own when it's so easy to die to the loving thing without having any checkpoints in the mission itself. Killing 40+(That's where I stopped counting) pink guys once was tedious enough, I don't want to do it a third time. When it comes to the mission itself, I can now see why people bitched about it. I was lucky enough to find a fire crossbow before going there, and killing the pink guys in three shoots with a good rate of fire is okay. Not fun, but okay. Of course it then swings into tedious when you realize that the dungeon is fairly big and filled to the brim with pinks.

Otherwise, I tend to side with the folks that hate on the early fetch quest chain, because it's just tedious atm. LIke, I get that the devs want to show you how to make glass and steel, but currently it's just busy work. And what the hell is the purpose of bug catching besides that first fetch quest? Really hope that whole quest chain gets ditched or improved.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Still haven't beaten the mine boss :(

Though, I also stopped after the second try because holy poo poo so many pink guys in your way. For now, I built myself a new space shack and hosed around a bit.

Like, am I the only one here who feels that the movement controls in Starbound are bad and floaty? I'd attribute most of my failure against the boss to that, because I've fallen to my death mostly. For a game that includes dungeons where you have to make perfect jumps, and generally seems big on precise moves, the controls suck rear end imo.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Zombie Samurai posted:

Since enemies don't do damage just by touching you, it's pretty easy to run through the whole thing (including the crazy guys at the end). I had to do the mine twice, and the second time I just skipped all the fighting.

The controls really are pretty bad, honestly. You have this weird half-momentum half-air-control thing going on when you jump, and it's even worse if your mouse isn't pointing the right way. It's not nearly as tight or responsive as it should be.
Oh wow, they don't do that anymore? Didn't really catch that so far. Welp, gotta go fast! Good thing I have the dash tech as my first pick

And it's good to know that I'm not the only one who thinks the movement controls suck!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Owns

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Hello friends I've been away for a while, is the first dungeon still bad?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Hello friends I've been away for a while, is the first dungeon still bad?
I demand an answer :colbert:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Eonwe posted:

we can bring back the shitposting, if we truly believe
I will start

Confirm/deny?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The plot thickens

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Eonwe posted:

why make it a slog
Game design :colbert:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I honestly don't get why they have such a hard-on for hiding fun gameplay behind "progression"

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The glaring problem that probably never will be solved is that Starbound has no idea what game it wants to be. How about a 2d sanbox game in space where you can craft and explore and build cool poo poo? Nah, that's not enough! We also need an RPG part where players do quests and progress along a tier system that we have made for them. Hmm..now how do we blend both of them?

The answers is: Not that well.

Like, serious post here, Chucklefish does not seem to understand that balancing the sandbox stuff around the RPG stuff is retarded and bad. The sandbox stuff is what most players find fun, and while you of course need a tier list and goals on that front, fun gameplay should never be gated behind the tiers or so many conditions! I feel the teleporter thing shows that well. Players wanted moveable teleport points since the very first EA release and lol at how long it took to get anything on that front. Now you have to hunt for the core(which takes time), go to the outpost(which takes time), and pay money(which took you time to get). And then you have to repeat at least 2 of these steps everytime you want to move your old teleporter or get a new one. Do you know why most people wanted teleporters in the first place? To save time while exploring planets. See the problem here? And removing the save+quit feature to get back to your ship instantly is another sign of the devs not knowing that fluid or quallity of life gameplay is more important than some arbitrary "challenge" or whatever the gently caress they see in their weird choices. The game is just tedious to play after the initial wonder about space and random monsters has left you, and if that does not get fixed it'll never be good. Oh, and of course the biggest issue in all of this is that Starbound is bad and gay.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 3, 2015

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

lmao check out this cool character someone used to show off their Armored Core mod

:eyepop: Look at them Starmounds

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

kode54 posted:

Don't forget the tail.
Ya know, the tail isn't that surprising in a space game with wacky races and random monster generation

But big floppy tits that look they were bolted to the model? That's the special thing that will distinguish your mod

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

mutata posted:

STARBOUND, ON THE OTHER HAND, JUST MAKES ME SO HARD ARRRGH

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I said this before, but okay, I'll say it again. Starbound will never be a good game as long as the dev team has this weird boner for making everything tedious.

Mining is tedious because you need the updgrades to have it be okay. Why not just give that to the player and make required upgrades to mine the high tier ores that you need later? Tedium, that's why. People have been asking for teleporting thingies since the drat start, and now it's gated behind finding an item and spending cash+spending more time if you want another one or want to move your telly. Why? Because it apparently would be wrong to let people save time with teleporters and this game needs to be tedious. You want to get back to your ship after a long dig? Sucks to be you now spend more time walking back to the surface instead of save+quit because that isn't tedious.

This is only half joking, and actually a serious design problem that has been prevalent since the beginning and so far it has only gotten worse. It's nice that you have all these fun toys that you could potentially play with, but hey, letting you access them in a comfortably fashion is bad and not challenging and this game needs to be challenging! Also tedious. It all circles back to Starbound not knowing what game it wants to be. The sandbox part gets designed around the RPG part that Chucklefish has been trumping up all this time, and that's retarded. The RPG part needs tiers and balance and systems and whatnot, but the sandbox part is the light and fun side of this game but Chucklefish doesn't understand this apparently.

It's insanely funny to me how long the dev process has been going by now, and what the results that we currently have are. Just lol at Starbound

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

jumbled mess of things
This is seriously how I would describe the game to someone that doesn't know about it

Adam Bowen posted:

Anyone who is still posting because they were disappointed months ago by the beta test of a $15 indie game is a loving crazy person.
I'm still posting because Starbound is a funny trainwreck that doesn't ever stop. But hey, that's just me

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thx for posting that gif again

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Richard...nooooo

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

E: This post was unnecessarily mean. Sometimes I'm a butt :eng99:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 19, 2015

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

also calling lowtax 'somewhat famous'
He fought Uwe Boll! If that doesn't make you somewhat famous then what will?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I actually would like supernorn to post again, because I'm seriously interested in knowing if the recent design approach that has been imo focussed on tedium or "challenge" has ever been questioned inside of the dev team, or if that's just what we can expect from now on?

But I also think it's funny that he decided to pop up now instead of when people had serious discussions about the updates and new things instead of poo poo posting so here we are

E: You know what? I was in a confrontational mood and just jumped on the guy which isn't really fair. I'm sorry for that so pls don't leave again supernorn and chat with us. Hell, you can even shoot me a PM if you really don't want to post itt anymore

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 19, 2015

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Eonwe posted:

i just post things and i try to make myself laugh its not like i wake up every morning and think CHUCKLEFUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! I spent $20 or whatever on a game that i got a good amount of playtime on, but it STILL IS MISSING A LOT OF CONTENT IM REALLY MADDDDDDDD
Yeah, same

Also
owns

E:

Supernorn posted:

On Friday I worked on the parallax backgrounds so the forests actually look like forests now. I'll do a little more work on Monday so the trees always match up.

This owns too btw, now we only need the game to also own. Starbound art has been really top stuff since the beginning, but you know how I feel about the game itself

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I AM BRAWW posted:

oh my freaking god lol..
:agreed:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

There are shitloads of decent/good games with procedural generation. Doesn't the civ series basically always generate their maps like that?

Also

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

you're forgetting roguelikes you NERD

Also also, I haven't touched Starbound in forever and I think that won't change with the latest Terraria update

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Lmao, another good desicion by the fine dev team of Starbored

IronicDongz posted:

literally idiots
Checks out, imo

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Starbound is a bad game
I was pretty surprised when I read this but then I did the research and yup, it checks out

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

you almost got me to instal the game again, chucklefish

almost

Rrussom posted:

Rip in piss

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Never forget

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Whoa you guys are some real starclowns

Vib Rib posted:

I'm really glad the team is back to focusing on what Starbound is supposed to be about in the first place: Story exposition and premade quests.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Excelzior posted:

it's a "classic" example of a piece of poo poo
New title pls

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm all for a new title but please don't let it be one that's outright negative. This thread is already really bad, I would rather there be an actual possibility of discussion about the game and if we make the thread look like it exists solely to poo poo on Chucklefish/Starbound it might as well be a hellthread.
I bend to your voice of reason :smith:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Starbound: https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/1a/fd/00191109.0001.gif

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Eonwe posted:

im glad of the thread title update

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The only real bad thing about Terraria is that so few weapons have autoswing so it eventually ruins your hands with all the frantic clicking

Otherwise it's an allright game

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Is starbound dead yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

LordZoric posted:

the Alpaca Gambit
lmao

Also hello old friends how has it been itt and is the game still bad?

• Locked thread