Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kly
Aug 8, 2003

remember when they took months to make that roadmap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Nalin posted:

The launcher doesn't start and the DirectX version crashes instantly. Good thing the OpenGL version works for me.

Oh, and the dedicated server is still a piece of poo poo after a year. And it crashes more often too. I'm going to have to write some scripts to auto-restart the loving thing every time it crashes. About 5 of us played last night and I think I had to restart the server 3 times because of it crashing.

give em a break, theyve only been working on the game for three years

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Kly posted:

remember when they took months to make that roadmap?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Babe Magnet posted:

Or maybe they found the other thread calling them out?

where is this?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i like how when you mouse over a link there the little hand cursor from final fantasy pops up

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

nutranurse posted:

are people in this thread really getting mad ...

really?

really?

just you

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

mutata posted:

Save and Exit is the best feature in this game.

agreed

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Afraid of Audio posted:

Starbound is a video game, confirm/deny?

i think its a dick but im not sure

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

so theyre stickin to the patch every 8months plan right

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

starbound is likely never going to be worth playing and the only reason you should keep this thread bookmarked is as a constant reminder of what a dummy you were for thinking it would ever be good

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Supernorn posted:

I was posting updates and stuff, but yeah. Honestly, it takes like three seconds to type playstarbound.com into your internet browser, but even easier to endlessly post every day for months about a game you're trying to fool people into believing you're not interested in.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

They very recently figured out how they want movement and combat to work in the game. After three years of working on it. but no, lack of direction isnt the problem.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

ScorpioMajesty posted:

So what do, YOU people! Think should be done to better the game known as Starbound?

Stay the course, keep putting out minor updates once every 8 months for 9 more years until they run out of money.
Maybe take a year to move offices again in the next couple years.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Kly posted:

They very recently figured out how they want movement and combat to work in the game. After three years of working on it. but no, lack of direction isnt the problem.

Supernorn posted:

There's big changes to combat, we just got the functionality to do a lot more interesting stuff with weapons now,

lol nevermind guess i was wrong, still figuring it out

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

in 3 years terraria got 2 huge expansions that amounted to a full games worth of content

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

in 3 years starbound is still struggling with how they want movement and combat to work

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I said come in! posted:

What happened with the devs? Is there still progress being made on development?

they made enough money to continue "working on the game" for another 9 years and by god thats what theyre going to do

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Bitter Beard posted:

My kids still play Starbound with my mom online and cousins still login from various states to our private server, except for the stupid quests we have to power new characters through all the kids have an absolute blast playing the game.

Average play time is 750 hours and the server has 10,700 hours of total up-time.

Sure the game may never end up winning awards or making any major marks in the hall of fame of games, but I've got no complaints for the 15 bucks I paid per copy.

Have they tried Terraria?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

starbounds biggest problem is the devs realized working sucks and that millionaires dont have to

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I wish Starbound was even a tenth of the game Minecraft is.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Vanderdeath posted:

I think it would've been less embarrassing for Chucklefish if they had just taken the money and ran at this point.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

So did they get rid of their PR person who was scared of public relations?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

BillmasterCozb posted:

...once it's done.

lol

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

So is there an ETA on when this game will be "complete"?

Theyve said they can continue working on starbound for NINE YEARS without any additional income, that was about a year ago. So starbiund will be v1.0 in eight years and will be pretty much the same as it is now but with more grinding.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

quote:

This has been one of my most anticipated features

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

have you tried the nightlies

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

the nightlies go weeks without changing anything so its pretty funny whenever anyone mentions them

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

the nighlty updates are just recompiling and downloading the same thing every day. according to the official starbound wiki nothing has actually been added to the nightlies since june 12

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

http://starbounder.org/Version_History/Nightly

this is what was given to me when i asked about what was actually going into nightlies a year ago

Kly fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 11, 2015

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

oh ok my bad

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Kly posted:

Theyve said they can continue working on starbound for NINE YEARS without any additional income, that was about a year ago. So starbound will be v1.0 in eight years and will be pretty much the same as it is now but with more grinding.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

you forgot to close the launcher after playing for 10 minutes

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

theyve been developing the combat and movement of this 2d building sandbox game for more than three years so you know its good

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Supernorn posted:

We've got a bunch of unique monsters going in, (more than 50 right now) with their own unique attacks and abilities as part of the combat update.

see guys i told you, four years and 20 million dollars later and theyve almost got movement and combat figured out in this 2d sandbox lego game. bet you all feel silly for doubting chucklefish now.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Magmarashi posted:

To be fair, it is the community manager's job to touch the poop, and she was driven off a long time ago

i like that the community manager couldnt handle managing the community and now does nothing. sweet gig.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

which is also ignored unless theyre fawning over whatever new minor addition has been made to the game.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

LordZoric posted:

Tiy, buddy, I guess what I'm saying is, fly me* out to your offices...

its gonna take 8months and all work on the game will need to be stopped

but theyll do it.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Starbound was the first early access game i bought and it put me off EA for three years until a couple weeks ago when i got Darkest Dungeon, which is a very good game.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

nuclear throne is also a good early access title

yes. i didnt buy it myself but some one gifted it to me and it is very good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

3+ years of development

• Locked thread