Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

I picked this up yesterday after playing a bit with the a very early build, and I'm kinda overwhelmed by the amount of classes and skills I can choose from. Is there any beginner guide that talks a bit about classes and builds?

I know the very basics like "stress is more important than health", "don't even think about removing afflictions until level 2" and "use 4 nobodies until they break, fire them and get the next batch, you bastard".

Well, off the top of my head...

Stuns are almost always really good. If a character has a stun and it's not super limited in some way, it's probably worth taking.

(The slots in the rest of this are notated 4321-1234, so the player 1 and monster 1 are right up against each other.)

Front Line

Crusader is pretty much a bog-standard paladin. Goes in the front line, good against the skeletons and such in the Ruins, gets a touch of defensive and healing abilities. Wants to be in slot 1 or 2, wants to attack slot 1 or 2. If you can repeatedly bump him out of slot 1, he can attack slots 3 and 4 reasonably well, otherwise not really.

Man-at-arms is a tank, and a really good one. Wants to be in slot 1 or 2, can attack slots 1-3, has abilities that buff his defense and let him take hits for buddies. Has an ability (Rampart) which moves him toward the front lines, stuns, knocks monsters back, and isn't disabled in slot 1, A+ would recommend.

Leper is basically self-sufficient, with a number of self-heals/buffs, and while his inaccuracy is very annoying at low levels, the accuracy boost from leveling skills lets his high damage shine. On the flip side, absolutely terrible mobility; if he gets knocked out of place he's going to spend a couple of turns waddling back into formation. Only functions in slots 1 or 2, and only attacks slots 1 or 2.

Hellion is a damage machine with some very powerful attacks that debuff her for a few rounds afterwards. Wants to be in slot 1, and can attack any slot from there.

Second Rank

Bounty Hunter can do some incredible damage against Marked targets but ideally gets someone else to set it up. Flexible positioning, but generally I put him in slot 2 or 3. Good against slots 1-3, middling against slot 4. Gets a bonus against Human enemies, like the bandits in the Weald.

Highwayman does good damage with flexible targeting and flexible placement, especially if you focus on crits and ranged attacks. If you can work out a way to regularly shuffle him into slot 1, whether by getting someone else to hop out of it or using his Duelist's Advance, Point-Blank Shot is excellent.

Vestal is the game's most consistent healer. One of her attacks keeps her topped off in health, she's got stuns and debuffs for proactive damage mitigation, and the full-party heal will pull you out of scrapes that no other class could. Really likes slot 3, can function in slot 2.

Back Ranks

Occultist is a grab bag of support abilities with a couple of decent attacks. Monster shuffling, a powerful but unreliable single-target heal, and one of the best Marking abilities for classes that care about that. Likes slots 3 or 4, but if you can work around his fragility can function in 1 or 2 and even has a stun exclusively from them. Bonus against Eldritch enemies, which is mostly the Cove.

Plague Doctor gets some powerful DOTs and support. Has a touch of healing, but isn't really useful for that unless you're also clearing off Bleed or Blight - for this reason, pairs well with Occultist, whose heal can inflict Bleed.

Arbalest is the only class which is completely at home in slot 4, sort of an inverse Leper. Mostly damage, with a touch of healing and monster shuffling mixed in. Also likes to target Marked enemies.

Mobile/Multiple

Grave Robber can sit in the back throwing daggers and helping other people get around DOT resistance, or dance around with Lunge and Shadow Fade to dodge tank.

Jester has some support and stress heal if you stick him in the very back, as well as a high-mobility style I don't have much experience with.

Houndmaster has a really good Mark and also like to attack marked enemies. The rest of it I don't have enough experience to talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Does anyone else think the Merchant's proposed "worse at combat, but get more treasure" shtick is a bad tradeoff for any excursions except for the shortest? I already end up throwing away a bunch of crap because my pack is full. I imagine it would be good if they had something like "pack slots can hold 25% more items" so gold stacks up to 1875 or whatever, but if they do it in a straight up "get 50% more rewards" or "this attack sucks, but you get some gold" kind of way, then it will be worse than just taking along a good character and getting a full haul anyway.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
I think the best thing they could do, as far as making heroes feel more expendable, is have very expensive stagecoach upgrades which make your heroes start out at a higher ranking. Optionally they could have this option tied into defeating bosses - so, you can't start recruiting level 1 or 2 heroes until you've beaten all the Apprentice-level bosses or something. Newbies will be more expensive than your vets because you'll still have to level up their skills and equipment again, but at least if you wipe you're not stuck grinding a whole party up from level 0 losers.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

I think Leper and even Grave Robber have their niches, Jesters def are tough to use, but Highwayman??? First I've heard that he's a low-tier option. Then again, people say Leper is trash but I only put him on buff-teams (Jester/MaA wdoing speed+accuracy buffs for him own).

Highwayman used to be super powerful but the change to damage calculation for AOEs nerfed him pretty hard. It used to be you'd stack +damage% on him and spam Grapeshot; having never had any sort of utility, now that he's lost that trick he's not particularly great at anything. He has some use on shuffle teams, especially if you can get him to Point Blank Shot a lot, but other than that he's pretty much just going to sit in slot 2-3 and hit people for fairly average damage.

A couple of tweaks would make him great - I think adding a Mark to Tracking Shot would be good, though he'd want another thing or two - but as it stands, while he's not a bad character, there's just not much reason to pick him over someone else.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 30, 2015

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

To bring this back for a second: these religious folks have no problem running elbows with murderers for hire, profaner of tombs and a freakin' occultist, but stick them next to someone who most certainly did not ask to be turned into a goat demon and is trying his level best not to murder everyone and suddenly they turn their noses up.

Tu quoque, Leper? You that should know more than anyone else what it means to be shunned?

Look, they're bad people, but they're just people. They die, they get their divinely mandated punishment for all eternity, and maybe not everything's fine but everything's going like it's supposed to. People are fallible and capable of choice, some people will abuse that to be total shitbags to everyone or grasp at things outside their purview, and they will get their just deserts eventually. But that thing is a demon wearing the shell of a man. You can even see it pop out when it's nominally "human" to spit foul humors at things. I will have no truck with such a perversion.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 30, 2015

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

fennesz posted:

So I picked this game up during the steam sale and I think I hate it. The difficulty just seems so artificial. You never see percentages for characters to disarm traps, spot traps, hit enemies (other than manually looking at ability/weapon accuracy and enemy dodge) you just randomly bumble around dungeons and get diseased, have heart attacks and poke yourself with rusty needles. The combat is somewhat interesting but the stress mechanics are just obnoxious. It feels like someone made a game with XCOM Long War's fatigue mechanic front and center.

Or am I just awful at this game? I just feel like I wasted 10 bucks.

All of the things you have just mentioned are in the game! :eng101:

On the character screen, the character has a "Resistances" stat, one of which is "Traps". Hovering over that gives a disarm chance.

In battle, if you pick an attack and hover over an enemy, the stat box in the lower left will tell you what the attack does.

Stress is a bitch to deal with, especially early game. There is absolutely no penalty for taking 4 fresh-off-the-cart adventurers, shoving them in a dungeon with no supplies, retreating before they all die, and then booting them out of your crew. Camping really helps with stress resist, as does getting the skills, trinkets, and levels to kill things fast.

The first thing I level in town is the stagecoach - 4 people every turn is fantastic, as is getting a larger roster so you can hold on to more people who will be good once you have the spare cash to help them. After that, the abbey's Cloister for stress relief on good dudes and the Guild to make characters more powerful.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

About when can I start taking my A team past Apprentice level dungeons? Veteran says "level 3", so about at that renown level?

Once your dudes hit level 3 they will refuse to go to Apprentice-level dungeons. I'd say, yeah, that's about when you want to take your dudes to Veteran dungeons.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

NewMars posted:

You know, it occurs to me, why can't you let your actual medical professional party members try and fix any of the horrible diseases your people get?

You can! Take a Plague Doctor along on a medium+ expedition and one of their camping skills can cure diseases. Graverobbers can also cure themselves.

Now, you can't do it in the town, which is weird. Actually, it would be a little interesting if people had in-town abilities where you could set Jesters to boosting passive reduction of stress or something.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Disgusting Coward posted:

Who takes a bounty hunter to fight the necromancer anyway I mean seriously double crusader that poo poo and LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR

LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR

LET THE BODIES HIT THEEEEEE

Crusaders can't holy lance from slot 2 any more, so they'll just be punching skeletons now. I mean, they're good at punching skeletons, but you need to focus at least a little bit on the necromancer himself if you want to win the fight.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Red Mundus posted:

The biggest criticism I can level at this game so far (outside of jester) is that not being able to choose which skills to pick until you unlock the guild can really gently caress you over early on. It's a moot point because you unlock the guild very early but I can see people getting soured when they first start because their plague doctor or highwayman had really spotty skill combos early on.

The designers preempted your objection. Reynauld and Dismas have fixed starting skill loadouts. The PD and Vestal have two random skills but also two fixed skills, so they'll always be at least half-functional.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
graverobber slot 4, crusader slot 2, open things up with a lunge/holy lance combo

get hosed slot 3 enemy

(if you have MaA in slot 1 and the right speed setup you can keep lunging over and over)

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 22, 2016

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Operant posted:

Can we talk about how god drat pimp the Plague Doctor is? Because seriously, stacking to 15 blight a turn on some of those bosses is ridiiiiculous

Plague doctor is pretty great as long as you're fighting high-HP enemies and aren't in the warrens or weald. She's especially good for high-level Cove, where clearing off 30 damage Arterial Pinch bleeds is without a doubt the most powerful heal skill in the game. On the other hand if she is fighting enemies with good Blight resist she is pretty bad. Overall, one of the most strongly region-dependent characters.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

FreeKillB posted:

Did they increase the price for Blacksmith upgrades? I have a big pile of level 5 dudes that are going to be in a world of hurt when they go into Champion dungeons. I had thought that when I did this in EA days I had somewhat better upgrades, so that switching Veteran->Champion was less rocky than Apprentice->Veteran. (Also, they might have buffed Champion dungeons in the interim maybe?) 42/58 fricken deeds seems like a tall order for level 4/5 upgrades especially since I need to buy it TWICE. I have hardly done any adventuring outside of the Weald and Warrens, and haven't even set foot in the Cove, since I'm swimming in crests. (also, it's really tough to keep up with both blacksmith and stagecoach upgrades).

Sort of - they increased the cost for high-level upgrades, but decreased the cost for low-level upgrades. If you're picking up an old save you're getting the worst of both worlds.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
I'm thinking about how to fix the Leper. How do people think Hew proccing a PROT/Dodge debuff and Chop proccing a big blight/bleed/stun/debuff/movechance debuff would work out?

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
So, widespread support for -PROT on Hew, but still has mobility problems. I think I'd put Forward 1 on Revenge just to make it useful.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Give Emboldening Vapors a bit of stress heal, like Houndmaster's Cry Havoc level but single target. Just have plague doctor :420: your dudes all the time. It's even right there in the name!

Actually, a bunch of unimpressive skills ought to have a bit of extra juice. Mace Bash should give the Vestal a stacking PROT buff and Hand of Light's damage debuff should be Weakening Curse-level. They're slot 1/2 only, they need to be crazy just to tempt you into putting a Vestal out in front, like the Occultist gets a high crit chance stun. Tracking Shot should mark the target; I don't think I've ever used that skill and been happy about it. Even the niche of "finish off an almost dead guy with your highwayman + get bennies" is better filled by Grapeshot Blast. At least with a mark you might bring him along on a marking team and use it against an enemy which has neither PROT nor good dodge. Hook and Slice is another skill I've never wanted to use.

I really have no idea what to do with the Jester. Partly it's that I've never used him on a shuffle team, so I'm not really familiar with how well Dirk Stab/Solo/Finale work.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 24, 2016

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Use Battle Ballad to make your entire team go first and then bleed the middle two ranks. I don't bring him to places where bleed sucks.

Yeah, I've done that before too. It's fine but feels like doesn't contribute as much as a character should. That line was less "I don't know how to use a Jester" and more "I don't know what changes to make to the Jester to make them good while still trying to preserve their feel."

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Doctor Schnabel posted:

don't you need 16 separate characters to do all the dd missions? if so, there's no way to get by with only one of each of the 14 classes

you get one of each class, along with Dismas and Reynauld who are special

if R or D dies, you lose, game over.

EDIT: actually i guess if you are treating them as unique you lose if anyone dies? unless there is a set of identical quintuplet leper princes out there who can trickle in one at a time to avenge their brothers or something.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

GlennFinito posted:

At what lvl is it a good time to lock in perks?

edit; just started a mission and forgot to buy shovels...first tile is a thorny thicket..the second tile is a..thorny thicket :smith:

ASAP. Things get more expensive as your characters get higher level and locking a quirk (or clearing a locked quirk) are pretty much the Most Expensive Thing, so if you get a nice one like Quickdraw loving lock that poo poo in.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 24, 2016

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Done.

God drat this thread is moving fast now that the game's out, I can barely keep up!

If anybody wants to write a new tutorial for new players just post it and I'll add it to the OP.

The first and most important piece of advice is to accept that you are not going to get through this 100% everything perfect. You're going to take characters into dungeon with all sorts of negative quirks and it won't be feasible to cure them all, you're going to make runs with characters you don't have the cash to upgrade fully, you're probably going to have a few people die just from the vagaries of chance, and you're going to cut your losses and retreat from dungeons before you finish the mission.

IN-TOWN ADVICE:

The very first thing you should do once you have access to the town is upgrade the stagecoach so that it gives you 4 new guys every week. If you ever need to, you can grab all four of them, throw them into whatever mission looks interesting without any more than the barest minimum of supplies (or even no supplies at all), run through grabbing as much loot as possible, retreat before all of them die, and kick out the half-broken messes that survived. This carries no penalty except time, and if you're death spiraling really badly it can give you enough cash to fit out a reasonable expedition.

Don't be afraid to dismiss heroes. Especially before you've upgraded the Sanitarium, Abbey, and Bar, getting low-level heroes back into fighting trim can cost way more than it's worth, compared to just grabbing another guy off the stagecoach. On the other hand, high level heroes take a huge amount of time to replace, so think carefully before dismissing anybody above level 2.

The Tavern and Guild compete for upgrade items, as do the Stagecoach and Blacksmith, and the Sanitarium and Abbey. Make your upgrade decisions appropriately. The skill upgrades in the Guild boost accuracy, special effect power, and crit rate; weapon upgrades boost damage, speed, and crit rate; armor upgrades boost HP and Dodge. Skill, armor, and weapon upgrades require that the hero be high enough level - don't bother upgrading your blacksmith to level 5 weaponsmithing if your roster is all at level 2. (Early game, I like to put Busts in the Abbey, Portraits in the Guild, and split Deeds between roster size and Blacksmith upgrades, but feel free to do whatever feels good to you.)

Most quirks aren't that big a deal. The only quirk which is pretty much demands a cure is Kleptomania, which will cost you way more in lost items than it will to cure. If they directly impact your character's primary in-battle function, you may want to cure them, otherwise you can probably live with it.

You can sell trinkets by open up the trinket menu and shift-clicking them. After a while you will have a lot of low-level trash trinkets which can give you a good emergency boost. The Nomad Wagon is not very important to me; there are plenty of other good ways to spend your gold, and you will get enough trinkets just from running through dungeons. If you have a lot of spare money it can be worth it to check sometimes, in case something good but rare shows up.

EMBARKATION ADVICE:

Tailor your party the challenges you are about to face. The Weald and Warrens have many enemies which are resistant to blight and the Weald frequently blights your characters; the Ruins and Cove are resistant to bleed and the Cove inflicts a lot of bleed. The Ruins have a lot of Unholy enemies; the Warrens, Beasts; the Weald, Humans; and the Cove, Eldritch monsters.

After your heroes level up past a certain point, they will refuse to go on low-level missions. This is annoying, but constantly grinding low-level dungeons with overpowered heroes would be boring and more annoying. Go on the higher-level missions. Don't worry if they aren't completely upgraded; even a level 0 hero fresh off the coach can be carried through a high level dungeon if their companions are good. As long as you're smart about cutting your losses you can get through dungeons with a team of suboptimal characters.

Train up your whole roster, don't just focus on one A-team and one B-team. This spreads out your effectiveness so a single loss isn't crippling, lets your heroes have more time passively losing stress which can save some cash, and gives you more leeway on catching boss fights before your characters level past them.

For a high-mid light run, I like to take 8 torches + 4 per camp. (So, 12 on a Medium run.) I also like to take 2 meals + 1 meal per camp + a feast at each camp; this totals to 8 food + 12 per camp, though it may be more or less if you get the right trinkets and quirks. Take 1 shovel + 1 per camp to clear blockages, or an extra if you want to be on the safe side. I like to have at least one key in case I find a secret room. Whether to take other items depends on the dungeon you're going to; they can either be used on curios, or in response to status effects. (Note that Medicinal Herbs will clear any debuff, including things like the Hellion's self debuff)

"100% room battles" missions are usually the shortest, and therefore easiest, type, though if you're unlucky they can require you to visit every room; "explore 90% of rooms" the next easiest but more consistent; and "use/find 3 items" the worst because the items fill your inventory and can be hidden in corridors. Bosses are, as far as I can tell, universally found in the room farthest away from your starting position.

I usually find Long runs not worth it. They're more difficult, and your inventory will be filled up enough that you'll have to throw stuff away unless you are literally 100% done with town upgrades and don't care about heirlooms any more. You'd get about as much stuff from a Medium, so don't bother unless the reward is a trinket you really want. Whether Short or Medium runs are easier depends on your party's camping skills; in the right circumstances, taking your party to a Medium dungeon can actually serve to destress your team.

When you're starting out, you will probably want at least one healer on any non-suicide run. I count Vestal and Occultist as healers and Plague Doctor, Crusader, Arbalest, or anyone with a self-heal as half of a healer. You can also take along extra food for supplemental healing. As long as you're killing stuff reasonably quickly and taking advantage of stuns, you won't actually need as much healing as you think, but it's still nice to have in an emergency.

DUNGEON WANDERING:

Retreating is sometimes the right choice. Pushing on because you are determined to beat this goddamn mission and the next room can't be that bad is the #1 cause of hero death. To do so, click the white flag at the top left corner of the screen.

You will lose 6 light per unexplored corridor tile, and 1 light when backtracking over a tile. This means, approximately, 1 torch per corridor. Low light stresses you out more and makes monsters more dangerous, but also gives you more loot and critical hits.

Curios (the things in the background that you interact with, like treasure chests) can be good or bad. You can experiment to try to discover what items are good on what, or you can look it up. If you aren't sure what a curio does and you're having a hard time in a dungeon, better safe than sorry.

You can hover over the symbols on the dungeon map to figure out what the symbols mean. On the 3-Item quests, the quest targets have the same image on the minimap as curios, but a different hover text.

You can find secret rooms by scouting, which happens randomly when entering a room. To use them, move to the correct corridor tile, then either press W or click on the background. If you have a key, you can use it on the chest to get a huge amount of cash.

When to camp, and what to do while camping, is a difficult question to answer. Generally, you can use it either to recover HP and stress or to buff up for the next 4 fights, depending on what camping skills you have unlocked. The Grave Robber and Plague Doctor can also use it to clear diseases. Every time you camp, unless you use one of a few camp skills, you also have a chance to get ambushed while sleeping, which will shuffle your party and throw you into a fight at 0 light. I like to use camping primarily for buffing and only moderately for recovery.

You can swap out camping and battle skills while in a dungeon, but not while in the middle of a fight or while camping. This means you can, for example, swap between the Crusader's heal and stress-recovery abilities between fights depending on which you are lower on right now.

IN-COMBAT ADVICE:

Be proactive. Attacking an enemy is usually better than healing, buffing, or debuffing; killing a damaged enemy and wasting a bunch of potential damage is better than damaging a healthy enemy and leaving both alive. On the other hand, stuns are extremely powerful. Even denying a single enemy a single turn has a good chance of preventing more than the healing ability you are itching to use would restore. Healing is usually best done when a fight has been reduced to one or two enemies and the rest of your team can lock them down, or when someone is in a crisis RIGHT NOW and you need to fix it immediately.

DOTs tick immediately before the character or monster takes their action. If an enemy has 2 HP and a 3-damage-per-turn DOT, they are already dead. Ignore them.

If your character is above 0 HP they are not at immediate risk of death; you have to take damage while already at Death's Door in order to die. (But be aware that they could be hit twice in a row by monsters, or take an attack that inflicts a DOT and die to that.)

Most random encounters are, approximately, one or two guys at the front being hard to kill, and two guys at the back spamming annoying things (damage/stress, sometimes status effects or diseases). Focus-firing the last two rows down, or knocking them far enough out of position, will usually make your day a lot easier.

Retreating, once more, is sometimes the right choice. Top-left corner again, though it takes up the active hero's turn and has a chance to fail. Afterwards you may wish either to fight the battle again (if, for example, your party got shuffled way out of position) or just to leave the dungeon entirely.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Something I just learned: if you kill a boss proper but run away from its entourage, it still counts as completing the mission.

In related news, the Swine God is a son of a bitch more because of Wilbur's stuns than anything else, and I lost 3 people to that fight. Bringing along an Arbalest to clear marks sounds like it would be a good idea, as does having an Occultist to Weakening Curse him into uselessness, but if Wilbur chainstuns your frontliners to death, they will not be able to do very much when they get forced to the front. RIP Reynauld, Veci the Occultist, and Durville the Man-at-Arms, your sacrifice was enough to kill the Swine God and let Guernon run away.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Brumaldo posted:

Haven't played this for a while, caught my interest again now that it's in full release.
I have a question: how is turn order supposed to be determined? I get that there's a speed stat, but it feels really random at times.

I think initiative order is determined by something like SPD+1d5.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Snak posted:

So, speaking of Bounty Hunters, I don't understand the Collect Bounty ability at all. It says

ACC base: 85
CRIT mod: 5%
Self: +90% DMG vs Marked+
Self: +15% DMG vs Human

Which in my brain means that in addition to doing damage, it applies a buff to the bounty hunter that gives him +90% damage against marked. But it doesn't do this. What does it do?

So far, Bounty Hunters seem to be the worst class. Would rather have a plague doctor or occultist.

edit: ^ in the first room, I got shuffled so that my Vestal was in the Front and Crusader in the back. Second battle was all spiders, wiff wiff wiff die retreat fail retreat fail retreat fail die retreat.

It means that the attack does nearly double damage against marked targets, and has a small damage bonus against humans. It's usually not worth using marks on weak targets or if you have a guy setting it up for himself, but a marking-focused team can poo poo all over single tough dudes.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Tthe basic problem is that "outleveling the low-level content" and "getting dudes ready for the Darkest Dungeon" are in conflict, as far as ideal leveling speed goes. For the latter, you want to be able to pick a guy up, do one or two runs, and be ready to go. For the former, you want to have some time to play around.

I've said this before, but I think a good solution would be to have an expensive upgrade to the Stagecoach that lets you get resolve level 1/2/3 guys, possibly even level 4, but which is gated behind clearing boss tiers. This would down a lot of the grind on replacing Darkest Dungeon teams, but doesn't accelerate you through early-game content any faster.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Nakar posted:

EDIT: Jesus I just tallied the total number of Heirlooms needed for all town upgrades: 480 Busts, 482 Deeds, 241 Portraits, and 2007 Crests. That's 168 stacks of Crests. :psyduck:

A lot of that probably comes from Survivalist/Nomad Wagon, which really quickly ramp into ~100 crest upgrades. Ignoring the Survivalist is probably 400 crests on its own, which is eminently worthwhile because that's no more than 1000/2000 gold per character.

EDIT: Seriously, Survivalist is way too many crests for not nearly enough benefit. I don't think any character has more than 2 camping skills you actually care about unlocking, it's just not worth it.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 4, 2016

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Nakar posted:

480 Crests for the Nomad Wagon, 320 for the Survivalist. Take those out and you need about 100 stacks. So... better. But still.

It costs 1.2 million gold to upgrade 16 heroes to max weapons and armor and max all their skills.

Is that before or after the guild/blacksmith discount upgrades? If it's before, that's probably not too bad, especially since there are probably 2-4 skills per hero you can afford to leave at a lower level.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone tried this mod, Pitch Black Dungeon? Apparently it's made and maintained by a member of the dev team and will be getting a major update soon?

I tried it a bit shortly before release proper. Upgrades cost cash and if you retreat you lose all the heirlooms and most of the gold value of your inventory, so if you mess up an early mission or happen to get a Collector fight or whatever, you can get a failure-to-launch condition where it's extremely difficult to upgrade buildings or outfit expeditions.

Snak posted:

I think that rather than changing the rate at which XP is gained, they just changed the level cutoffs.

Also, gently caress the stupid cannon. gently caress it so much. Is there some kind of -Prot debuff I can stack on it? because it's just not fun to chip away at it for 30 loving turns before I finally get 3 misses in a row and die.

Cannon has 220% debuff resist. The basic strategy is to gear up as consistent a party as possible and kill as many of the adds as possible starting with the Matchman, swinging at the Cannon with whatever leftover actions you have. Man at Arms or Jester may be worthwhile to take along for their party ACC/Speed buffs. Have fun chipping away at it! (it is so much worse on champion difficulty, where base dodge is high enough that it's really hard to get consistency.)

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 6, 2016

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Killed the Brigand 16 Pounder in good enough shape that I decided to continue the dungeon...and then almost lost an Occultist to a pack of rabid dogs. (Getting a 0-hp heal didn't help, though being able to Barbaric Yawp + Manacles to stun the three remaining ones that turn did.)

EDIT: got back to the town, opened up the Stagecoach to give it its final upgrade (yay, I can never go to the Weald again!), and saw this. If I had the space on the roster, this would be a good opportunity to try out a stupid gimmick team.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 6, 2016

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
I went to Darkest Dungeon 1, knew vaguely what to take (Bleed, Shuffle, and Stress would be a problem) and had a party of MAA/GR/Jes/Occ, and got my poo poo pushed in super hard. I lost my Graverobber to enemy focus on the way to the boss, figured I was in a bad position but should still push on because retreat would kill a dude anyway, and then got a party wipe on the Shuffling Horror when I couldn't keep up. Now, between losing 3 Sun Rings, the grind to fight bosses, and the grind to get dudes ready for the DD, I've kind of neglected the game. IMO DD should reduce the late game grind a bit, especially as people who have already beaten the DD will never again go back but will only help on Champ level dungeons, which I am personally reluctant to bring even one non-appropriately leveled character to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Fun fact: the objective of the boss dungeons is to kill the boss. Specifically the boss. Sure, the battle keeps going if there's another enemy left (Wilbur, the adds from the Necromancer/prophet/Cannon) but if you're okay with giving up the rewards from the battle itself (random selection of treasure and whatever your dead guys were wearing) you can clear the boss itself, retreat from whatever's left, finish the dungeon, and get the boss trinket.