Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm a big fan of nuking the poo poo out of enemies before they can do anything, so I don't mind +stress% if the bonus is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'll go into the weald on a medium run with 12 food, that's plenty, I've got two herbs.

Zero carcasses, starve, lose three party members with Fated :shepface:

At least I made a bunch of gold!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Rascyc posted:

That sucks, the prices aren't even much cheaper in the tavern.

Yeah what's the point of that? I've never had enough people to destress that I'd ever need the extra capacity, and if the tavern can permanently gently caress you out of trinkets, why ever use it?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Afflictions I remove: Klepto, Curious

The end

I also rarely stress heal dudes, maybe once or twice after a really rough run

Get your Stage Coach maxed asap, once you have 25 dudes, you can rotate people constantly, so stress healing isn't really needed, and there's zero reason to keep anyone who gets too afflicted, just boot them. You can also be choosy about new recruits, prioritizing people with nice +spd perks or whatever.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Someone show me the code that makes my Occultist do 0 point heals 2-3x in a row during boss fights :tinfoil:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:siren: Do not restart :siren:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This game is too long. Or too long for what it is, or whatever.

Also pretty bummed I didn't hear any new VO from when I last/first played it in EA a year ago :(

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Fabricated posted:

There are more clips from the narrator than there were a year ago- you just haven't heard them yet.

Right, but that's what I mean - I've played 30+ hours and the majority of the dungeon roaming and combat barks are identical. Bit disappointing is all.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Today I realized Don Quixote sounds like Donkey

I am not a smart man

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

dismiss heroes

problem solved

:cripes:

The level gating and level grinding are two dumb and clunky aspects of this game

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Doubly stupid when the caretakers checklist is 'beat every boss!' and the story snippits are tied to the bosses

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

I think if you've defeated both bosses in a particular area on a particular difficulty, all future expeditions in that area on that difficulty should net a small but noticeable resolve EXP bonus.

All of these are bandaids on the problem of the repeated content that's level gated. I'm not sure there is a simple elegant solution anymore, since they baked this into the game's design.

It's definitely bit me in the rear end, I had my roster filled, with the majority at 3-4, and when I went to do the last two tier 1 bosses I hadn't fought, I realized I couldn't, because I didn't have enough low level people. That's just... dumb.

I'm not really convinced that triplicating the content was a good decision either, am I having any more fun in the higher level dungeons than the lower level ones? Not really. Not any less mind you, but it feels about the same, with the added 'bonus' that if I need a replacement for a certain tier I have to level them specifically to that spot, which also feels dumb.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

It'd be like Dark Souls without dropping your souls on death.

Ooh I'll bite!

In DS when you're doing boss exploratory runs, you're doing them with no expectation of survival anyway, so the 5 minute 30 second run back to the boss after each failure isn't a challenge, it's just a boring time penalty. Occasionally the route is seriously hostile and it is an actual part of the challenge, but very often it's possible to just sprint and skip past a shitload of obstacles.

It's something the more recent games have (usually) improved, with much closer checkpoints and shortcuts near them, but on the ones that don't, you just get a really tiresome reload, run, run, run, fight, reload, repeat loop that loving blows. Definitely one of my least favorite parts of the souls series, and any game with a similar style of checkpointing.

It's a line between 'this is gameplay, and part of the game, have fun and/or deal with it' vs 'this is a pointless grind that is not fun, and extends the gameplay in a really unpleasant manner'.

I'm not sure they quite nailed the former here.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

quote:

Never Again
Characters who have the Never Again trait, now also carry a 30% Party XP buff when running dungeons. This effect does not stack.

FIXES
Tuned Back Resolve XP Thresholds: Left L6 a bit lower to reduce the 5 > 6.
Updated Localization based on community feedback
Fix Death’s Door Recovery Buffs not saving
Fixes to Tooltip Positioning for Tray Icons
Fixed On the Old Road, We Found Redemption and Strict Mode
Achievements (These should be retroactive)
Fixed area name length (mostly for Russian Localization)
Fix target spamming bug where you use an item (dog treats or holy water) to select multiple targets same or different targets with a one target skill.
Fixed crash when going to the Quest Select Screen
Fixed to Man-at-Arms Command ability not affecting CRIT like intended.
Crypts tutorial quest now gives dungeon xp to fix the case where you die in old road and have limited selection of first post tutorial quest.
Removed loot from the summons on the Necromancer, Siren, Brigand Pounder and Ectoplasm fights.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I haven't touched this in awhile because the grind to get to the end was just too long for me, despite loving the game in general.

Have patches and expansions addressed the length?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

soooo... game good?

I've been waiting for 1.0, but impressions I've seen have been pretty mixed

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

well for my part, I loved the aesthetic of DD, liked the combat, disliked the inventory/party fiddling and really disliked the total length of the game

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ok maybe a dumb question but

what the hell is the story of dd2?

I don't get what's going on after the ending of 1

(noting I haven't played 2 yet, just checked out some cursory videos while waiting for full release)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:psyduck:

I thought everything was turbofucked period and this was just some alternate take on the same concept

Anyway, is there some jumbo day 1 patch coming or is it safe to play now in advance and my progress will just carry over to whatever the endgame is?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:buddy:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer

(forgot to equip healing balm and the fuckers triple crit Dismas leading to failure spiral)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

A story in two pictures

a buff flagellant

and uh, victory? sorry about the rest of you

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

movement resist maybe?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

why the gently caress does the sluice have branches if it's always unscouted :psyduck:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

it's not random, it's a consequence of not managing stress and relationships

yes, sometimes you're going to get turbo hosed, but there's a lot you can do to mitigate it

first, do not let your party sit on high stress

doing so will stress and tank relationships with the rest of the party, eventually causing a failure spiral

once anyone is at 4+ stress, they'll start saying nasty poo poo that will harm your party, raising stress and losing relationship points, keep it low

make sure at least one of your party members has something to reduce stress, and prioritize buying stress combat items if you have too many people to maintain below 4

second, there are relationship breakpoints at 8 and 14 - aim for 14, avoid 8 or less - high gives a chance for positive relationships, low negative, avoid negative because the locking in of random moves can hurt you more than the benefits of a positive one

pay attention to route choices, especially if going one way will push any party members above 3 stress

when given a choice at an encounter that has two positive party members and the same negative, pay attention to their relationship with the negative one - whoever you choose will reduce their relationship by 2, so pick the person that won't go to 8 or below

finally, manage your stress and relationships - unlock inn and combat items, max out your carriage equip slots

you can use playing cards, whiskey, whittling tools, pipe weed, etc to raise relationships and lower stress at the inn

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Third boss

gently caress that absolute shitlord. Completely clowned him because my entire loadout and setup was designed to do so, after getting summarily destroyed multiple times. What a terrible fight.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Are the later chapters harder difficulty getting to the mountain or are they mostly the same as chapter one with a different boss?

Ordained enemies change, Cultist Altars change, and there are extra encounters on the way to the mountain

I'm not sure if the areas themselves get longer? About to dive into 4 so I guess I'll find out

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I feel like dots are superior to raw damage, someone give me a raw damage build that's better - dots ticking and killing deathblow resistant enemies is just so good for action economy

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

place your bets how I gently caress this run

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Same, I still feel like most of the bosses are very boring puzzles of "hey, you better be built specifically to do the thing", but even then it's a damage race until people start dying. Also the amount of tokens thrown around is ridiculous. When I hit the chapter 2 boss I had crushed the run so hard, then I kept getting weak and blind debuffed, couldn't deal enough damage to manage the mechanic, and died horribly.

I don't know when I got there, but I hit a point where I started paying more attention to token adding and removal than a lot of other effects - some tokens are so strong that removing or adding them is well worth "wasting" a turn

like highwayman's upgraded take aim is just busted good

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Taear posted:

I find my Leper resists the blind debuff loads anyway, so it's not too big of a deal
Also Command with the MAA cleans it off in the worst case scenario of not having any other way around it

Man it's sort of boring that nothing changes beyond the last boss per chapter. I feel like I expected more stuff to unlock I guess, new areas?

I'll definitely be done with the game after clearing 5, but I view this as a positive - DD1 was way too loving long, I'll leave this feeling satisfied instead of just sort of sputtering out - and that's still plenty of hours

(but gently caress the third boss)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

victrix posted:

place your bets how I gently caress this run

holy poo poo lmao

Barristan is a drat hero

4 down, 1 to go

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Glorious victory is mine

Eat catharsis to the face fucker :black101:

Last fight was so, so much better than the third, goddamn

Great game, I really enjoyed it

I'll absolutely be back to check out any future dlc that adds new areas/characters/bosses/whatever

I may dip in for the odd run to try out other goofball parties, but I've got Age of Wonders 4 races and worlds to create

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Now I'm tempted to run the crew through chapter 1 for the memory on a living crew. Not sure they could take chapter 3, but the memories mechanic pushing an all chapter clear seems like an interesting and ungodly long thing to do. Wish I could shelve them for a later run, feels like a waste not taking advantage of memories while I have them.

fwiw I finished without ever grinding for candles or having a full crew of memories on any run

I filled out the resources/stagecoach trees, a decent amount of the item unlocks, and then maxed the characters that I was going for the boss with, but that was it, and even characters weren't all full on my winning runs

I'd recommend against it unless you're really struggling - in which case just ask for advice, there's plenty of viable loadouts for the bosses (most of them, gently caress 3rd boss)

as a general tip, prioritize getting Mastery - you'll generally get plenty of good trinkets on any run, but it's quite possible to be light on mastery, and that has a direct impact on your total power that you can't get any other way

as for what to spend it on, *very* early, target your highest damage skill on each character, then their most used utility, or vice versa depending on their role

if you run with one party for a bit, you'll get a good sense of the skills you're using almost every turn - those are the ones you want mastered first

also keep in mind there are a few fights (lair, cultist, final boss), where you may want to switch around skills, don't forget to change them back or you'll hate yourself

and last, read the wiki pages on relationships and stress, every successful run I had, I had the opposite of a failure spiral with relationships and stress - having everyone love each other makes everything easier (but I have won runs with pissed off party members, so that's possible too, most classes have one or two skills that aren't totally necessary, so having something irrelevant locked sucks but isn't run ending in most cases)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ragnar34 posted:

Leper and flagellant got "amorous" in one of my runs. Normally this would be medically inadvisable but I think they're both in "what's the worst that could happen" territory. That said, this is all very unpleasant to contemplate and it didn't help when MaA joined the polycule.

STDDs

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Warden posted:

What's that, you got the General Trophy that gives permanent Immobilize? Well, sucks to be you I guess.

Guess what my first encounter with that boss was :shepface:

And yes, that boss is absolute trash, a blemish on an otherwise good game with cool bosses - I absolutely do not know what they were thinking, or what the playtesters were thinking, it's just total garbage. A binary puzzle fight at the end of a multi hour run is categorically not good

Jetrauben posted:

Also, honestly, I kinda agree that the big pain here is that once you - after great struggle - purge the chapter 3 boss, I can't see chapter 4 or chapter 5 adding much of anything, and if you're as bad at this game as I am you'll probably have already unlocked basically everything.

I'm surprised that the mountain never gets any elaboration, either - an entirely new biome and battle background, and it's basically just hype building for the puzzle boss.

That's exactly what chapters 4 and 5 do

You just have to get past the worst speedbump in the game :eng99:

Honestly just look up a party comp/setup to trash it, unlock a bunch of trinkets/inn items on the run you go for it and mercilessly cheese it to hell with a pile of accumulated inn items just before the mountain

I'd say wait for them to patch it, but their current patch 'fixes' to address it don't seem to do anything to help the problems with it

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

temple posted:

The past couple runs everything has died on the first DD check. I can think for maybe 2 enemies and 1 hero that didn't die immediately. Even bosses. Does the exemplar have -dbr on his claw because he killed everyone immediately except the last person. My next run I don't think anything lived past the first dd check, except maybe a cultist. I'm paranoid in general about dd so I made it to the act boss but I can't confirm if dd applied to heroes because act bosses have -dbr built in.

the most recent update nerfed DD heavily on enemies

it buffed minimum DD on heroes though, so that's just bad luck

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Taear posted:

Honestly enemies having DBR is really poo poo to me, just give them more health or something

I like it because it gives more threat to certain targets and changes target priority and multi hit utility

what I don't like is how much it favors dots, leaving an enemy at DD and mandating another turn is lovely when even a garbage dot can save you a full turn (especially in cases where it is already low, the hit that takes it to DD can dot it too)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

HundredBears posted:

That isn't so bad if you have the right team. My first try Obsession (very much not blind) used the immobilizing trophy and aside from the block stacks messing with what was going to be some lovely critical Point Blank Shot spam, it was a reasonably smooth kill.

*have the right team and know exactly what the gimmick is

that's exactly the problem with that boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

the entire run start up to inn feels like it's perfect for game 1, and maybe each game after beating a new unbeaten boss, but that's it

otherwise yes it should absolutely start at the first inn, and let you save character and party setups to get rolling