Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
As somebody who just started playing this again after the last round of patches, some of those changes are exactly what I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm probably not gonna turn any of the options off, but stuff like afflicted characters no longer consuming other characters' turns, tab switching, madman reductions, and the overall accuracy boost are welcome fixes. Might just be the roll of the dice but I've had a ton of missions lately where my dudes miss several times in a row before getting murdered.

I'll admit that fiddling with enemy crits is tempting though. Last night (pre-patch) some random mook got a crit off against my Occultist, knocking him down from full HP to death's door with a bleed effect which killed him on his very next turn.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

My diseased, neurotic, claustrophobic, masochistic, but nonetheless devoutly religious Crusader has survived literally every no hope suicide mission I've sent him on.

I'm starting to think God really is on his side. Anybody else I'd have dismissed after accumulating that many negative quirks but this guy just keeps on trucking.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Apocron posted:

Any "Before I Play" tips for someone who bought it on sale to help my enjoyment?
Prioritize upgrading your stage coach before everything else. At a minimum you'll want four fresh recruits every time you return to town. Regardless, you'll want a large roster.

Your dudes are disposable, don't get too attached to them. If they die, replace them. If they go insane or get bogged down with a ton of negative quirks that seem like a total hassle to deal with, fire them or send them on suicide missions. As long as one guy survives you get to keep all the loot you picked up along the way (though not necessarily the quest rewards if you've failed the mission), so you can always stick it out with a bunch of clown shoes adventurers when you need to, retreat before the last one falls, fire him, and still make a profit to spend on your more worthwhile employees.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

nessin posted:

Many of those salty reviews have 50+ hours into the game. I saw one with 160ish. The game is so terrible it forces you to play for weeks before you can give it up.
To be "Fair," most of the negative reviews I've read coming from people with that many hours logged all dance to the tune of "I bought this game in early Early Access and it was great then but now it's terrible." When I first started playing it I got a little tired of making progress only to have a patch make my old saves unusable, so I shelved the game for a bit to await a more finalized build. Some of these complainers might've done likewise, or might've kept playing the game pleading in vain for the devs to fix their problems as it slowly got "Worse."

A lot of the complaining I've seen has been over nothing, but it's not necessarily like these dudes sunk a ton of time into a game they didn't like from the outset only to then declare it bad after passing the 50 hour mark. They think something valuable's been slowly taken away from them; but then they also usually think corpses were a bad addition so who cares what they think about anything.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

a lot of the problems and/or complaints have been more or less addressed now through the options the game gives you in terms of difficulty. and if the opposite applies then the New Game + hardcore mode will whet whatever appetite you have for balls to the wall difficulty. It's more accessible now than it was even months ago
I agree, though a lot of the negative reviews predate those fixes. Personally I have no complaints with the game; everything that's bothered me even a little I've come around to in time, either understanding why it's an improvement or at the very least getting used to it. I'm just saying it's not like all the stuff these dudes are whining about was in the game when they first picked it up, so it's entirely possible the lion's share of their time was spent pre-complaints.

Wafflecopper posted:

Since when did patches break saves? I've been playing the same one for months.
Dunno if it's happened to anybody else, I've just loaded up the game post-patching before and had it crash/freeze on all my old saves consistently. I'd start a new file though and the issues would vanish.

EDIT:

nessin posted:

There is no "fair" for those kinds of reviews. Even if there is a legitimate complaint about the game they've had an overall positive experience (or are just insane, which negates the review anyways) whether they feel it's gotten "worse" over time or not. Plus at the end of the day there are hard numbers to suggest the developers will address realistic complaints and balance problems in the game. If this was after release and someone had that many hours after a couple months and posting a negative review, there might be a very slim chance there is some legitimately to it if support just falls off a cliff when it comes out of early access, but we're not at that point yet. Within the context of this particular game (and just in general) there is no justification to take a negative review seriously from someone that's played at least 20-30 hours.
I never said we had to take their complaints seriously. I certainly don't. I was only addressing the hours spent thing.

DOUBLE EDIT: vvv Also true.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 27, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I want to play this game longer but I can't really get past the idea that most of your dudes are mooks not worth saving or keeping, for some drat fool reason :smith:

(ed: guess I had/have the same problem with XCom, now that I think about it. Haven't beaten that either. Just kinda sucks to lose a dude you've spent any amount of time developing, I guess)
That was the biggest mental hurdle I had to get over as well.

I'm the kinda guy who can send thousands of nameless, faceless, voiceless conscripts to their death in Red Alert 2 without a second thought, but one of my dudes dies in Fire Emblem and says something like "Tell my brother...I'm sorry I couldn't keep our promise" before he goes and I immediately reset the game to save him. Going into Darkest Dungeon for the first time, I had every intention of keeping my guys alive, sane, and healthy as long as possible. Consequently, I made very little in the way of progress.

You gotta be jaded to succeed in this game, man. The greater good of the world is at stake. A few dozen adventurers dying or going mad is a small price to pay to keep the Earth spinning for another century. That's the mindset you'll need to succeed.

Actually, I'd be interested to learn how many people complaining about the changes are the types to try and keep their guys alive through thick and thin. I suspect there might be a little bit of overlap there.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Trinkets are worthwhile if you use them smartly. One time I picked up two charms, one that increased my accuracy with ranged attacks at the cost of my speed, the other boosting my speed in equal measure, so I threw them both on my highwayman and had him go to town.

That said, there are very few "Universally" good trinkets, so early on you're probably not in a bad place selling them.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm honestly expecting Red Hook to implement a unique stress event for the Abomination where he turns on the party and you have to put him down.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Corpses were a great inclusion and I'm always baffled when people try to pinpoint that as the patch where Darkest Dungeon started to go "Downhill" as it were. The corpse concept benefits the balance of the game in a lot of ways, though admittedly a few of them are somewhat invisible to the casual player.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Blackray Jack posted:

I don't know what to tell you. It was a literal game over. The last four guys I got were three dudes and an abomination. Two of the dudes refused to be sent on a team with the abomination so I couldn't deploy whatsoever.
I'd report this cause that sounds more like an unfortunate oversight than anything else.

I'm not a programmer but I can't imagine it'd be too difficult to tweak it so Abominations never show up if you've got four characters or less.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Dude's just making a friendly jesture, man.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Some people work better with a deadline.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

That whole thing is worth listening to just for those last two bonus tracks.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Corpses are actually a pretty ingenious addition to the game and I like how they affect the mechanics and flow of battle a lot. Darkest Dungeon is a better game with them than without them.

There are a few tweaks I can understand getting people hot and bothered under the collar but corpses aren't one of them.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'd heard they beefed up the tutorial a bit, so I decided to check out what the new additions were.

Seems your first foray into the ruins is relatively scripted now using the same layout and encounters (and certain specific bits of loot) every time, or at every time I ran through it.

If you are starting/restarting this game for the first time, don't bother buying a shovel for your first expedition. The game loves throwing them at you.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Well then.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'd say the Leper could've really used an ability to draw aggro, but the truth is the Leper could've really used a lot of things.

I tried my luck with somebody's customized Leper with Fated locked in and he still misses a fair bit.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I laughed when I found out four Hound Masters is apparently an entirely viable party.

I knew they were good but geez.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Speedball posted:

Either the narrator wrote a LOT of notes before he offed himself or being dead is no detriment to his being able to chat your ear off.

"Yes, Grandpa, I KNOW this land is a festering abomination!"
We're in Cthulhu country, son.

The dead wish they were silent.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Darkest Dungeon's RNG is no better or worse than any other RPG's RNG, it's just that the results are more important. If you had the sort of exponential stat gain most RPGs feature nobody would be complaining about it.

I respect the devs for recognizing that sometimes smaller numbers are better than bigger ones.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Nah, the Darkest Dungeon RNG is pretty severe, even in comparison to other offenders, like FTL.
For instance, I lost my first Occultist in the first battle in a cove mission due to him getting crit 3 times in a row, then immediately taking a deathblow from the bleeding damage. There was literally nothing I could do to stop that.

That's part of the fun, though. Dealing with the outcome of less than favorable scenarios.
FTL's RNG irritates me way more than Darkest Dungeon's, though I suppose that's part and parcel of how the games are designed. In Darkest Dungeon, even if everything goes belly up, you've still got a chance to make some net progress overall, whereas in FTL you pretty much have to start from scratch.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Macaluso posted:

WHAT IS THIS THING

WHAT HAVE I DONE
The first time I did this I literally thought to myself "What's the worst that could happen."

Do not let me near your tomes of eldritch lore.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Artificer posted:

Do old saves from loong looong ago still work ok?
Some say yes but mine didn't.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

red plastic cup posted:

why does a blacksmith even need deeds?

is he busting up old houses for raw materials? does he use the paper as kindling to start his fires?

it is a mystery
Metals, precious and practical alike, come from mines. Mine ownership is typically transferred by deed.

By upgrading his shop with deeds you're allowing him greater access to a wider range of materials.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

For some reason at a glance I thought the witch was flipping you off and started to chuckle.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Every class is useful to one extent or another but most people seem to agree the Leper and the Jester are low tier.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Just had two bad runs in a row; one on purpose, kinda, the other by accident-ish.

For the first expedition I threw together three stressed out adventurers with a ton of negative quirks and a Leper fresh off the stagecoach. A bunch of my actually good guys were in rehab or undergoing treatment, so I figured I'd just send out a suicide squad with zero provisions, call them back so as they hauled in some loot. Well they took a wrong turn and ran right into a Shambler who ground them into mincemeat. Didn't summon him or anything, he was just there. When I tried to retreat the last guy standing - the Leper oddly enough - dropped dead. Welp.

So for my second run I threw together a pro team of marksmen: Grave Digger, Hound Master, Abomination, Bounty Hunter. Marking, bleeding, stunning, blighting. I'd used all these guys before and pretty much considered them my A Team. So good were they that I didn't even sweat it when the Collector showed up - whom they'd actually beaten before with minimal fuss. Well I guess he remembered that cause he summoned two highwayheads with a headstal to heal them and those two dismals proceeded to score two 25+ damage critical attacks in a row killing two of my guys outright via bleed damage the turn after. A third died soon after and only the Abomination lived to tell the tale, though since he was ultimately victorious he scored some good loot. Recalled him immediately and discovered he's now a kleptomaniac.

I know you wanna focus on the Collector's heads before the big man himself but geez, those crits. :cthulhu:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Speedball posted:

I missed it. Why DOES the game call that class a leper? He's not rotting from a horrible disease!
Google King Baldwin.

Night10194 posted:

Hunger why. Hunger why do you always show up right after I run out of food from a previous hunger.

gently caress hunger.
One time I had a hunger event immediately following a (late) camp where I'd used up all my remaining food with only like a room or two left.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Most of the pushing in this thread to keep the "Purity" of the game is just an equal but opposite reaction to all the unpleasable whiners who post/downvote Steam reviews. Very few people care how you play the game, the game itself caters to your preferences, and there are even achievements to let folks know whether or not you've done your time. For my part I've been playing with the default settings, but it's definitely a game I could see myself beating, staying away from for awhile, then returning for a replay on slightly lower settings for a smoother second-time-around experience.

Regarding hunger, I'm okay with it being semi-random/random-ish, I just don't think there should be hunger events immediately following other hunger events and/or camping, "Immediately" being the key word there.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

It is the head of Dismas, father of Dismas. A long line of noble thieves.
I always just presumed the Collector was a being outside of time.

It's not a paradox, it's a portent.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

There are some negative traits (like Kleptomania) you'll always wanna get rid of, but for the most part it depends on how it affects your character. A penalty to melee attacks might be an issue on a Crusader, but if it's a Vestal, man, who cares. Even then, most of your dudes won't last long enough to make the investment worth it, so there's value in holding off to see who's got staying potential and who doesn't. Anybody clearly unfit to go out and get the mail you can just sack or send on suicide missions.

That said, I tend to treat/not hire (unless it's an emergency) characters with quirks that monopolize where they get to detox after a mission (Gambler, Love Interest, etc.).

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

vandalism posted:

This game can suck my dick. I've restarted it a couple of times because I just wasn't happy with how my game was going. Now, I had a sweet start and everything was cool. Had a medium dungeon run with Reynaud and Dismas plus a PD and Vestal. Things were going great. I got slugger, low stress, wrecking everything. Then the loving collector shows up. He didn't kill any of my dudes and I got him, so I decided to go on. Last room fight everyone got overstressed and Dismas got killed. loving bullshit. I keep restarting when I get pissed at the game. Probably dumb, but I don't wanna lose Reynaud or Dismas. I am just abysmally bad at this game.

I don't like how they've changed the game from EA launch. They spent time trying to kick the player in the dick even harder with every change.
I played the game like this for awhile.

This is not the way to play the game.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

How quickly the tide turns!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

vandalism posted:

I used to be pretty good at the game when it first came out, but the changes have been a bit much for me to adapt to.
Expect some overreactions to this but if you're really having that miserable of a time there are certain settings you can toggle in the options menu to moderate how much or how closely the game breathes down your neck.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

One time I had two guys in my party with the quirks Curious and Compulsive (respectively) who came across a Shambler's Altar while the group was heavily injured with no way around it. Slowed my march to a crawl until it was obvious it hadn't triggered, breathed an enormous sigh of relief, then made my way forward.

There was another one a few halls later. :suicide: Didn't go off either but I've never had a more intense hall trek.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Well yeah, I know that now, but at the time I was steeling myself for the worst possible outcome.

Imagined fears are frequently worse than the things we actually need to be afraid of.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

*Bounty Hunter yanks him to the front of the line, Highwayman shoots him point blank in the face.*

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

docbeard posted:

I just found a journal entry while wandering around in the Weald. I had no idea these were a thing. Are they new?

Yeah. Written by backers of a certain tier, allegedly, which gives me some pause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Performance anxiety.

Some people just can't handle being center stage.