Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Just finished this after a Steam Sale binge, it's a great game right up until that stinker of a 5th chapter. Really sad to see it fall into the, now ancient, Max Payne 1 trap of long drawn out nightmare filled to the brim with annoyingly lovely puzzles.

The Jefferson stuff also felt really contrived, like they wanted to jam in a twist just for the sake of having one (maybe they thought it would drive sales of the final chapters idk). The ending was also simultaneously really unsatisfying and lazy (both from a narrative and gameplay standpoint). To me the very first vision of the tornado you have is literally the tutorial opening of the game while you're passed out (?) at your desk in class. You clearly see the tornado destroying the town with you all alone up at the lighthouse, spared from the destruction. You get this is going to happen despite never having used your powers at all, and indeed aren't even aware you possess them yet, so I really don't see how your use of them causes that lame Lost-style 'unexplained spooky event' crap. The fact that all the other lead-ups were just as nonsensical and seemingly unconnected to anything you did just kinda proves that to me. The whole game just seemed like you getting a chance to save at least one other person from a fate that seemingly had already been spelled out for the area. Hell in the one photoflashback you start out in the same classroom, text David that Jefferson is a serial killer, and then I don't think you ever use your powers ever again (as you have no reason to). Hell, that same scenario has the destruction happening to Arcadia Bay and you aren't even there. Therefore it doesn't make any sense that another photoflashback in which you don't use your powers gets you a different fate.

The whole thing felt really tacked on, and makes it seem like the devs just ran out of money or something. Also the setting was pretty clear that the devs didn't really know Oregon all that well. We have no fireflies, cockroaches, really recreational beaches, and the town just looked all wrong (especially for a coastal town). Stupid little details but they were enough to make me go 'haha what' every now and again :/

Prokhor Zakharov fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

SirKibbles posted:

They literally did run out of money one of the devs posted about it, the ending seems rushed and pieced together because it is. On the bright side it seems like some of the writing problems were the classic modern adventure game problem of head writer gets moved to work on season 2. Plus if loving Homefront can get a sequel we're definitely getting one of an actual well selling new IP.

This explains a lot thanks :suicide:

Quest For Glory II posted:

also I maintain that the vision Max got about the tornado came before she got her powers and the way the narrative is constructed in that first episode it only feels logical to assume you were given the powers to try and stop that event from happening, not "NEVER USE THESE MAGICAL POWERS YOU JUST RECEIVED FOR SOME REASON. you have just been given a gift DONT USE IT!!! NEVER EVER USE IT!!!"

the latter I think would have only made sense if they had written an additional ending into episode 1 where you just let Chloe die like in the final episode but I'm pretty sure you have no choice but to use your powers in that situation? i'm sorry game but Spec Ops the Line you are not

It's kinda like they just straight-up forgot how their own game started. I even replayed the first chapter to see if I missed anything but nope, seriously seems that the tornado was always inevitable and not even connected to you. All your powers could accomplish was what they were only ever really good for, saving Chloe :colbert:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

BobTheJanitor posted:

Will the commentary for episode 5 just be "We are sooooooooo sorry" repeated over and over?

This was...uhhhhh...hmmmm...we just wanted to....uhhhhh...

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

Also they say that the whole story was written before the first episode came out, and the only changes were mostly minor things here and there in response to feedback.

Hahaha what obvious bullshit. I would've respected them so much more if they just owned that they kinda hosed up and lost focus on the story.

BobTheJanitor posted:

I know I'm repeating the same joke again, but this might as well be life-is-strange-reaction.avi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7PkWE

"I wish I had time travel powers!"

"Really?"

"Yeah, then I could go back to before episode 5 came out!"

"DOOOOHOHOHO"

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Max posted:

The voice actor for Jefferson also couldn't really pull off the "Now I'm loving evil and love to talk about how evil I am" dialogue, which made it more silly than creepy. Him silently filling the syringe in the trailer for episode 5 was way more effective than anything he actually said in Episode 5 proper.

This is another thing that makes me think DN just winged it at the end, the poor guy didn't even know he was supposed to be a psycho serial killer. If that had been planned out they surely would have hired someone who could play a hipster professor and do a good murderous psychopath too.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

The Bee posted:

The twist with Jefferson was worth it for the hilarious amount of ways in which an ex-military security guard could completely botch fighting an art teacher.

"David, kick the table!"

This whole sequence was loving baffling, David is a vet of at least one of the mid east wars but for some reason he is absolutely incapable of clearing a two room bunker of an art teacher.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

JVNO posted:

Ideally your choices throughout the game should have impacted what ending options were available to you, and we'd receive at least a couple additional outcomes that unlocked or were locked out based on those choices. Probably beyond the scope of their budget however.

Knowing the limiting budget, I would have been happy if the endings included a few throwaway scenes or nods to things you had done throughout the game- even just small clips that may or may not appear in the ending based on your choices. But as it stands literally nothing you did mattered up until the point where you make the final decision, and that's what bugged me about the ending. Everyone dies, or you undo everything you've done. Nothing you did mattered.

Imagine you sink a lot of effort into an RPG, powering up your characters for the final confrontation. You've really invested in your characters and the effort of preparing for this confrontation. And then you discover you can't lose to the final boss (and there are no special secret bosses either! Gasp!). Wouldn't you feel a little cheated? Yu Yevon flashback

Agreed, Mass Effect 3 sucked

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Nameless Pete posted:

(and I even killed Pompidou).

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Nameless Pete posted:

I do; it's in the middle of the street.

savage

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Nameless Pete posted:

I asked her how many times she had to rewind the fight between David and Jefferson. "Once."

I am really proud of my sister right now.

Your sister is a liar

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

We just had a tornado hit a small coastal town here in Oregon and nobody was killed or even injured. No word yet on if any teenage girls were seen riding into the sunset.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

There's a part in Episode 2 where Warren can be seen looking in Max' window, and in general he gives off a very proto-Nice Guy vibe that people who have experience dealing with Nice Guys are sensitive to. I stop short of calling him creepy myself, but I do find myself a bit unnerved by him.

Warren is the devs Gary Stu

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Warren would definitely vote for Trump imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008