Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

So if you can keep your inventory when rewinding time (i.e. the hammer in the bathroom) why can I not take a photo of David yelling at Kate, rewind, and then intervene while still keeping the photo?
My immersion, it's ruined!

Edit: Oh poo poo, a Cannibal Holocaust reference! This game just got an extra 100 points in my book :allears:

I appreciated that the game let you be super grossed out by Cannibal Holocaust and/or that somebody was suggesting your character would like to watch Cannibal Holocaust. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Yeah, apparently I missed a whole bunch of photos, even though I thought I was being pretty thorough looking at everything and talking to everyone possible.

I also didn't save the bird :smith:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Entropic posted:

I really liked this game and I can see how a lot of people will hella hate it.

I'm really curious to see what kind of consequences all the "this action will have lasting consequences" choices actually end up having. I have high hopes but I'm bracing for disappointment.

You need to have watered the plant to unlock the good ending.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Nckdictator posted:

Did anyone else take the blame for the weed in Chloe's room?

I did, after I saw what happened to Chloe if you don't and rewound time to fix it. :smith: I'd rather put my scholarship on the line (I'm probably already hosed for "telling tall tales" about Prescott to the principal) than stand by and watch my best friend get punched in the face by her stepfather.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Also there is definitely something going on with Kate beyond the high school rumors, some Twin Peaks level stuff. It was mentioned already, but David is totally going to turn out to be a better guy than they're setting him up to be. Look at all the stereotypical broad strokes they're painting him with, it's almost comical; he has a bad haircut and is yelling at someone the very first time you see him, then you find out he's a gun nut, a hunter, and a prepper. But there are also smaller hints scattered around that he's not a completely terrible guy, and the family is having money problems. If you listen to the answering machine message in their house, he sounds genuinely concerned about Chloe in his own way, and I bet it ties in to his obsession with surveilling everything.

This is so stupid. He's filming his family members without their knowledge or permission, taking weird pictures of teenage girls at his workplace, and he's physically abusing Chloe! Yeah, I'm sure he's really genuinely concerned about Chloe in his own way when he's slapping her in the face. It's for her own good!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Also, the game takes place in 2013 and Wikipedia says that it didn't become legal in Oregon until 2014.

I guess they had medical marijuana before that, though.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I've just been backing Kate and sticking it to Nathan the whole way. I told the principal about the bathroom incident in Episode 1, and I told Kate to go to the police and the principal in Episode 2, and when I blamed Nathan in the end, the principal mentioned both the bathroom incident and the fact that Nathan features heavily in the video as reasons to suspend him while the investigation is happening.

I like that the people in the thread are taking different paths, and already seeing different results even when we try to make the same big choice. I'm very interested to see if our accounts will diverge further as the game goes on!

I've been backing Kate and sticking it to Nathan all the way too. I told the principal about the bathroom incident, but I didn't tell her to go to the cops, because by that point I figured the Prescotts owned the police. Apparently, whatever I did was still enough to get Nathan suspended when I blamed him, though! :unsmith:

I like how in a game that's all about choices, they also give you choices for little, inconsequential things too, like watering the plant, or what to order in the diner.

What happens if you shoot Frank? I didn't do it since it seemed really out of character for Max (as I saw her anyway), and also because that gun scared the poo poo out of me every time it appeared on screen so I was relieved to see it taken away, even if it's in the hands of some kind of deranged vengeful loan shark or whatever.

Weirdly enough, a decision I'm iffy about is accepting Warren's invitation to go see Planet of the Apes. I'm not even sure why!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

checkstock posted:

Frank
If you choose to shoot Frank, the gun is actually empty so you end up not shooting. Then he gets mad and leaves, promising not to forget that you tried to shoot him. Chloe gets to keep the gun and is pretty happy about how it all turns out.

Haha, I guess it probably would have been a pretty big story fork if you really did just straight up kill a man.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I wonder what all the different little ending clips are? I saw a .gif somewhere on tumblr of a memorial shrine thing for Kate if she dies, so I wonder if anything else changes according to the choices you make.

I saved Kate, blamed Nathan, and got him suspended, and saw Kate in a hospital room with Get Well Soon balloons, Wells talking to Mr. Jefferson through his car window before Mr. Jefferson drives away, Victoria crying alone before Nathan comes into the room super creepily, and then a bunch of other stuff that didn't really seem to relate to endgame choices so I won't bother repeating it.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Nckdictator posted:

Speaking of railroading does anyone else think that damaging the tracks is going to cause a accident in a future episode? Also, I'm noticing some of the choices were saying people Helped Alyssa When/where was that, what did they need help with?

Wasn't that just helping her not get a toilet paper roll hucked at her?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I would have been fine with the bottles as just being an opportunity to explore a large area and look at cool stuff except I couldn't find the campfire for the life of me and ran around in circles endlessly until I looked it up.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

What happens to Jefferson if you blame him? Is his epilogue scene (talking to Principal Wells from his car before driving away) away different?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Next episode he'll appear outside your dorm carrying a printer.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I feel like I missed lots of stuff in the diner scene in my efforts to get the key as quickly as possible without getting caught and/or murdered.

Also way to break time and kill all the whales, Max.

And yet the decision I regret the most was impulsively agreeing to go to the stupid Planet of the Apes thing with Warren. I'm tempted to replay the whole thing just to avoid that, but I want to live with my decisions the first time through and then just do a Perfect Run when I can play through the whole game from beginning to end.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Rosalind posted:

Yeah, but it's a pretty common LGB coming of age trope that stuff like "HA HA WOULDN'T IT BE SO GAY IF WE KISS DUDE? I DARE YOU TO KISS ME! OMG YOU DID YOU'RE SO GAY I AM TOTALLY NOT THOUGH DUDE. SUPER HETERO." happens. Chloe gets so upset about Rachel being in a relationship with Frank.

Max being all like "and maybe I could... kiss you again????" or whatever when they're joking about driving away in Frank's RV was hella adorbs.

Speaking of Life is Strange slang, I really like all of the self-consciously dumb things Max said when she was trying to act punk rock in the clothes she borrowed.

EDIT: of course after all of that there better actually be a pay-off or else it'd just be queerbaiting of the first order :argh:

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 20, 2015

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Now I have a few questions about other ways things could have gone:

What happens if you go through the boys' locker room?

Are there multiple ways to get the keys, or is it always finding out about the dogs, asking Frank to see the dog, and then grabbing the keys and rewinding?

What's it like if Kate is dead? It feels like the tone of the game would be really different.

Ditto for if you blamed somebody other than Nathan in the last episode. Is that scene with Mr. Jefferson and Victoria different if you blame him? Is Nathan less enraged in the diner if you don't blame him?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Reclaimer posted:

This was a pretty good psi-op tactic though. Even though I the player actually knew there was only one security dude I was totally paranoid that there were more of them that were gonna circle around and catch me because of that one line.

Yeah, same-- even though I knew there was only one security guard employed by the school I was expecting police backup or something because of that line.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Fans posted:

I'm fine with you not getting to choose things like that though. It wouldn't make any sense for Max to not try to save them, I mean she isn't a heartless monster. Well.. unless you killed Lisa and the Dog. You monster

Look, I only killed Lisa because I cared too much.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Rosalind posted:

Some hella amazing fanart from Mayumi Nose:

Oh wow, I love that.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So here's something from Episode 1 that's super important in Episode 4. Don't click unless you've seen the ending of 4 Link

Jesus CHRIST. :stare:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

So if Kate's dead, what happens instead of visiting Kate in the hospital?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Still wondering what happens in this episode if Kate's dead.

Torgo2727 posted:

I no longer experience feelings of melancholy and nostalgia from this game after finishing episode 4. :stare:

For me all of the disturbing things are even more disturbing since they're still laced with a lot of nostalgia for me. Jefferson reminded me a lot of some of my professors at art school, which I think kind of blinded me to how suspicious he was to a lot of other people. It wasn't until he actually showed up at the party, where something about his attitude and demeanor made me go, oh gently caress, that I realized something was up with him.

The same thing kind of goes for the Dark Room. I'm in this creepy old haunted barn, and then descend into a spooky bomb shelter, but then I turn the corner and see the very familiar sight of an expensive large-scale photo printer. The Dark Room was loving terrifying to me, and a lot of it was because it was filled with such familiar objects-- photo printers, an iMac, tripods and lights and big cases of fancy photography equipment-- the sorts of things I saw all of the photography students back in undergrad lugging around all the time. Somehow, the fact that the photo of Kate you find on the computer was left open in Adobe Lightroom was even more chilling than it would have been if it were just a jpeg sitting on the desktop.

Less spoilery-- did it seem like finding photo opportunities was a lot harder this time than in the other episodes? I think the only one I found was Dr. Hoo. Maybe it's just because I felt so much less relaxed this episode than I did in the prior ones.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Georgia Peach posted:

Nothing really. It just comes up a few times that she killed herself.

So is there no scene equivalent to visiting Kate in the hospital?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

klapman posted:

I felt the same way honestly, but I figured that you could either continue letting his punishments be entirely shame-based, i.e. his father's constant social neglect, or you could have a nerd beat the ever living poo poo out of him and maybe take him out of his own head a bit. Mostly it just felt good to A. have Warren do something, and B. have Nathan's constant posturing shown to be complete bullshit. when Nathan tries to pull the gun and Warren just kicks it out of his loving hand, drat. Also i'm pretty sure Chloe pockets that gun too if you do that, so Chloe might have two guns now. Maybe that'll come up in Episode 5?

More significant than Chloe having two guns-- since it's not like she's really in a position to use either of 'em :smith: -- is whether or not Nathan still has a gun-- in the version where you don't let Warren beat him to a pulp, he picks up the gun again as he staggers off.

Actually, let's have the traditional thread straw poll of decisions we made! I agreed to bad timeline Chole's request, broke David's lock (which apparently was a decision?) convinced Daniel to go to the party, stopped Warren from beating up Nathan, made friends with Frank, made friends with Victoria and warned her about Nathan. Am I forgetting anything?

Edit: The RV scene was so good because unlike other scenes where you have to find out a bunch of stuff and try different options through trial and error the game doesn't force you into a failure state or have Max be all like, "No, that's not it-- I should rewind," like it does when, say, you're trying to get Frank's keys, or memorize all the details of the diner to convince Chole you have powers. If you wanted to, you really could just leave after loving murdering Frank or his dog, or stab him in the leg and be all like, 'eh, close enough', or whatever. I'm not sure if they're just building on gameplay concepts they've already introduced, or if it's because we're close enough to the end that they feel confident in introducing major divergences more often, but I like it.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 28, 2015

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Georgia Peach posted:

I broke the lock but then just rewinded it so the lock was back in place. Does something happen if you just leave it?

Also I really liked alt-timeline texts. Victoria is so desperate to be liked and accepted.

I rewound too-- and the game even showed the icon for still having the crowbar for the rest of the scene in Chloe's house-- but the decisions screen at the end still said I broke the lock, so I guess I was just being too clever by half there. :v:

I liked the texts too. Especially Alyssa being the one to throw an object at Max, for a change. :v:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

PunkBoy posted:

I also rewound after breaking into Nathan's room so there's no evidence the fire extinguisher smashed the lock. Max had a quick line of dialogue about it I think, but the "THIS IS A DECISION" butterfly didn't show up.

poo poo, i probably should have done that. Although I guess it won't matter anyway since there was no Butterfly and it's not like Nathan wouldn't just try tio kill us anyway at this point.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

seravid posted:

Speaking of codes, I remembered a three-digit code from the Big Board scene and just entered it but Max was still "man, I thought that only worked in the movies!" ...you thought using your memory only worked in the movies :confused:

I think that was in relation to solving the puzzle by noticing which keys were worn down, so it makes less sense if you remember that one three-digit number from the list of four digit lock codes.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Gotta love the writers staying true to Max's inappropriate remarks in the height of an emotional outburst. Upon Chloe digging up the remains of her best friend, "ugh that smell!"

Also Nathan is severely damaged and maybe sympathetic in that way but he ain't no angel, the kid is definitely messed up and a willing agent in what's going on.

Yeah-- reminder that even though Jefferson's involvement is new information, Nathan wasn't a red herring-- his jacket and personal letters are in the dark room, he's the one who tried to drug Chloe, he's the one who whisked Kate off, he's literally in the photos with Rachel's body, etc., etc. He did most (if not necessarily all) of the things Max and Chloe thought he did and were investigating-- he just didn't do it alone.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

VagueRant posted:

I used that too because I thought I'd got myself stuck at the party because I didn't see the prompt to push the thing. Had to go through so many unskippable conversations again...

By the way, what determines Victoria believing you?

I'm assuming it all depends on how nice you were to her throughout the game-- not teasing her or taking a photo when she got the paint dumped on her, apologizing to her, etc.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

For one of the most nerve-wracking decisions in the game, there hasn't been much discussion of what happened to alternate universe Chloe. I agreed to her request, since Chloe really eloquently laid out the case for the right to assisted suicide in a terminal illness with little quality of life left-- but I was still really worried about the impact that'd have on William and Joyce. Fortunately, time was reset like immediately afterwards so I didn't have to deal with that. :v: But I'm really curious about what would have happened if I'd lost my nerve and refused. What does Chloe do? How is Max's decision to go back in time framed?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Zerilan posted:

My guess really is that he was complicit until it went as far as murder, which is probably when he started getting more unhinged. As far as having the gun too, I think he's trying to be all "bark but no bite" about it.

Yeah, I agree. The whole place is just far too clean and organized looking for being something that the current Nathan's been doing.

Counterpoint: Nathan's dorm room. I'm sure that Jefferson had a lot to do with the Dark Room, but oddly spartan environments with creepy black and white photos and expensive photography equipment lying around are kind of Nathan's thing..

Rosalind posted:

We saw him shoot someone in literally the first ten minutes of the first episode. How is that all bark and no bite?

Also yeah, the inciting incident of the entire game is that without Max's intervention he just straight up murdered Chloe like five minutes into the game. :v:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't think that's right. At one point you look at a missing persons website, and Rachel was the only person in Arcadia Bay to go missing in the last 10 years. It seems like Jefferson's usual MO was not to kill the girls. But something happened with Rachel and she died and now things are spiraling out of his control.

This is a really important thing I think gets overlooked a lot in LiS theorycrafting.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Air is lava! posted:

I enjoyed that episode.

So does Max have have memories of her life in the alternate timeline, or does she piece her history together by looking at stuff? I am pretty sure, she doesn't know anything, since the other Max seems like a totally different person.

Stupid theory time:
Alternate timeline Max is in on everything. And is hanging out in their hideout. What else could she be talking about here? :v:

It took me a second to remember that "dark room" is just an ordinary photography term even though that's why the Dark Room is called "the Dark Room"

If we actually do meet evil alternate universe Max it'd be so loopy and weird I'd kind of love it, though.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

seravid posted:

She's in the dark room developing Polaroids. Nothing suspicious about that at all :haw:

Alt Chloe just has a less twee photography practice. :v:

SirSamVimes posted:

I didn't actually use the Rachel photo option, I used "You know Rachel" and that seemed to work as a whole "She was closer to you than maybe anyone" type thing.

That's what I did, too (after murdering him once and stabbing him like three or four times, good grief.)

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 29, 2015

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Mondlicht posted:

I'm not sure if anyone else has theorized this, but it just came to me and I don't have anywhere to share it!

The picture that we find of Rachel Amber and Nathan are their dead bodies, before being buried in the junkyard. We don't really dig far enough to know its Rachel Amber only for certain, it's just assumed because of the photo and that it's Nathan's fault.

No one has seen Nathan recently, so that means that while Rachel Amber has been missing longer she might have been kept alive by Jefferson and only died recently, supposedly the same time as Nathan. Nathan's family is obviously in on the bunker, but maybe Nathan wasn't and he walked in on Rachel Amber being held there and Jefferson killed him to keep him quiet, or because his family is over him and his brain problems and had some hand in it. I dunno.

Nathan's been missing for, like, a couple of hours at most. Plus you literally find the jacket he's wearing in that photo sitting on the couch in the Dark Room.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Paladinus posted:

A really dark ending would be Max stuck in a one-minute loop of Jefferson torturing her, rewinding time over and over again but finding no exit. A fitting punishment for saying 'hella'.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm,

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

A lot of my friends were instantly suspicious of Jefferson, but in art school I had so many professors exactly like him I just slotted him into that archetype and then totally glossed over all of the stuff that was super creepy in retrospect.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Also even though the painted-looking textures are gorgeous in their own right and absolutely the right look for this game, I imagine that they're also cheaper to make than a more high fidelity look would have been, especially because less important items (various posters, small photos that aren't plot significant, etc.) can just be super sketchy looking.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Max is a pacifist, but gently caress doors, shelves, lockers, and safes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

where does hitting chloe and filming his own family without their knowledge fit into this master plan

• Locked thread