Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I have a copy of The Game (bad game about gladiatorial / Running Man kinda stuff)?

Honestly fantasy sports is so popular it feels like somebody needs to make the missing link game where players put together a team and go for gold. The only thing I'd wonder is it seems like it'd be geared solely towards winning the championship or whatever. Maybe that's why there isn't one? Hm. Would make for a cool Dramasystem game if you did it right, but that feels more esoteric than I expect sports fans would want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

To be clear, the person in question who was dropped was Jennifer Clarke Wilkes, who's a veteran editor who had worked at WotC for about two decades.

It's disappointing to see, but dropping talented people is such a perennial WotC blunder I can't be shocked anymore. This is company that fired Lisa Stevens, after all, and she practically built that company... And we all know how well that turned out for them.

WotC has been trashing their best RPG talent regularly since the buyout and this just strikes me as business as usual.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah. I can't claim to know the circumstances of her exit, but Mearls' response was remarkably unprofessional.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

MartianAgitator posted:

Care to educate me further? I mean, I love Talislanta and Everway more than the next guy, but can we justify "Lisa Stevens built WotC"? Again, not trying to be dickish, I've just never heard this before.

Well, at the very least, Wizards of the Coast wouldn't have gotten off the ground without her. (The same is probably also true of White Wolf, but that's another story.) Adkison was the creative drive behind WotC, to be sure, but Stevens was the one that got them their first game line (Talislanta) that put them on the map and actually made money,. She was also responsible for getting a lot of the early WotC authors (including a certain Mr. Tweet), as well. But ultimately it was her financial and marketing hard work that kept the company alive when by no means should it have financially survived when practically everything it did was causing it to leak money. While the company wouldn't have been created without Adkison, it never would have survived without Stevens.

Though she's not a designer, she's probably the most important person alive in the business of RPGs. White Wolf, Wizards of the Coast, and Paizo all wouldn't exist - or at least exist in their current form - without her influence.

Guilty Spork posted:

If someone at McGraw-Hill decided that for the new edition of their American history textbook what they really needed was to get Glenn Beck and Mark Levin's opinions, I wouldn't exactly hold the editor behind that in high esteem.

I'm sure you could find lots of other things to try and pin on her for in two decades of work with WotC, but I don't see any evidence to blame her for that. Like, you could point out that she was Senior RPG Editor for the whole 4e run, and we all know how disastrous that was. :v:

Mors Rattus posted:

I am fairly certain it was an amicable parting of ways due to company direction at the time - other than that story, Mark Rosewater's had nothing but nice things to say.

Well, she was certainly laid off; it wasn't her choice. That being said, there was definitely tension between her and Adkison at that point, and she was still able to spin the situation into taking over the D&D magazines, which... worked out pretty drat well for her, despite some rocky times in the mid-2000s.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

ProfessorCirno posted:

She was explicitly a part of the TSR purchase as I recall, and one of the leading figures who made WotC an actual business of professionals; for awhile it was exactly what you would expect from a company of nerds who made it big, with all the negatives that would imply.

Those who need some elucidation on this may want to read John Tynes' Death to the Minotaur if you haven't already.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Play hex-and-counter wargames instead. No grogs there. I think. I hope. Oh god please god no.

Um.

You know where the term comes from, right?

Because it comes from wargaming.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Wait, does that meant we can't get the Last Stand cards printed anymore? :( ... I can't remember what site those were available at. What's happening with the Last Stand 2 kickstarter, then?

Edit: Found the site, ordered a copy, we'll see if I actually get it.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 5, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Jimbozig posted:

Hey, Strike is just about to hit its first stretch goal, which is basically rules for huge boss monsters. I've got some stuff written up, but I need more ideas. Chat thread, I need your help! Post youtube links to the best boss fights in all videogames!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cabSmNHsdY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn6c52RAkBY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81gCxvUo-dg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFwwMy4LqDE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4itFxnswdug

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Lightning Lord posted:

I swear I read somewhere that Lovecraft considered her to be "one of the good ones"
(It was in an ST Joshi book, and the actual quote is that his wife, Sonia Greene, was "well assimilated".)

There's an anecdote where HP and Sonia were at a party and HP was busy insulting Jews as he liked to do. When Sonia pointed out she was a Jew, he retorted that no, she was not a Jew, she was a Lovecraft. :v:
i wonder why their marriage only lasted two years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrHgZRGLgo0

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I would rather eat a live monkey diagnosed with AIDS than play Strike!

Was that enough? Because I ain't eating that monkey, I'm just trying to express how edgy and/or angry I am.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Ningyou posted:

wh-what if the monkey was a 1:1 solid chocolate replica of a monkey, like some kind of great Bizarro Easter treat

would you eat the monkey then

i need to know for market research reasons :ohdear:

I would like to say yes but then I look a the Reese's egg in my freezer from 2014 and have to admit to my failures. :(

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The Vosgian Beast posted:

A Mazes and Monsters TRPG would be a game where you're an insane nerd who thinks they are their M&M character, and have to survive as long as possible in college without getting taken away to a sanitarium/prison/death.

Davin Valkri posted:

That just sounds depressing, and possibly offensive :smithicide:

Here's the game you were looking for.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I would certainly recommend LPs for those without a solid tolerance for grinding, even the modern Persona games contain dozens of hours of murdering a thing, then murdering it fifty more times. Well, maybe more, but that's as high as I'm counting.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Really Pants posted:

whats ur alignment

Noncommittal Granola.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

whydirt posted:

I see you're also playing Freebase.

That sounds like a Conspirator trick of THE MAN.

And I have no idea what you're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I couldn't resist, I had to give 40k fans some appropriate industrial sound.

• Locked thread