Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

ExplodingSims posted:

I had Baked Alaska for the first time tonight, and it was really good.

I somehow managed to finish my piece after eating steak, salad, bread, and a hash brown thingy. I feel like death now.

That looks awesome. So how do the flaming whipped cream? Mix in booze that burns off and forms a crust/shell? But does the inside of it still have an alcohol taste (not that it'd be a bad thing, just curious)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

jamal posted:

So many people I know have suddenly become die hard seahawk fans, and if it wasn't for how annoying they all are I would probably like them a lot more. Laughed my rear end off at that interception, and the comments I'm seeing on facebook right now are great.

Having grown up here I'm pretty much used to being disappointed by the hawks so the last few years have been nice as a football fan, but whatever, every team has it's ups and downs. I don't get the rabid fans that think we can't lose, but it is pretty cool to see everyone get all excited about it as a city. That's a pretty uncommon thing for Seattle, and is a nice changeup from the fake nice politeness that is rampant here.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Advent Horizon posted:

...have a drill rig shipped on a goddamn barge to destroy our driveway for a GSHP to replace our oil furnace. We're guesstimating in the range of $30-45,000 for that project, which everyone should note is way loving more than anyone should really ever want to have around in their 'casual, blow this on the house' fund.

That seems like a ton of money for an in ground heat pump (that's what a GSHP is right?)... Why not just get an above ground heat pump, or poo poo, a high efficiency gas furnace. I want to say I paid ~$5k for a nice 95% unit installed 5 years ago. Are you in your lifetime house or is heating/cooling super expensive and thus that is in some way justified?

poo poo, you could get solar for that much!

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Holdbrooks posted:

I nailed the interview and was told that I got the job and should hear from HR today. And now I'm up in Phoenix to visit another hospital and see how they do it to model my program after theirs.

poo poo is looking up for me, and hopefully they will give me all kinds of money too.

Nice!

the spyder posted:

Job chat: Had lunch with the team I would be working with yesterday. Sent over all my info today. Now it's a waiting game. /F5/

Good luck!

HotCanadianChick posted:

'Gratz fellow interview-nailers. I killed in my interview yesterday, just have to wait a few days for the background check to do it's thing and he'll call me back with a start date. :dance:

~hell yeah 2015~

My boss finally announced my promotion to my department today, I'm glad I'm not the only goon getting good news!

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Would you describe yourself as empty like how I feel after the GBS Taylor Swift thread?

gently caress guys, I knew having a kid had softened me up, but I'm like a loving jelly roll over here.

That said, he already knows the difference between the DC universe and Marvel universe and he's not even 4. And we play video games together :3:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Cakefool posted:

Alaska does not sound like the sort of place to try and scavenge energy from the outside. $50,000 buys a lot of insulation and natural gas.

E: assuming you have gas

I want to say he doesn't and that the propane prices where he is (trucked in by Amerigas) are super high. I asked something similar when he posted about it previously because I forgot he was in Alaska. And I also asked about solar which would be LOL in winter there.

I don't think we have many Alaska goons, so Advent Horizon might be better finding a local forum or just hitting google for options.

Well and questioning himself deeply about how much he likes the house he lives in because gently caress, that's a lot of money for just a heating system. Unless the ROI is there I couldn't justify it and even then I'd want to know I was going to be in the house at least 5-10 more years.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Job pay chat, one of my buddies for a while ago said it best "When you pay in bananas, you get monkeys".

For me it's not just about what I make, but also about my teammates and my department. I want to be around other people that are paid well for doing solid work because I want to get some poo poo done. I don't want to deal with people fuckin' around because that's all the company could hire with the lovely pay offered, or under experienced because the experienced people don't take the job.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Bah, gently caress that, there is always hope. We've still got fun stuff to do and fun cars to mess around with.

My wife's water just broke, looks like kiddo #2 is going to be here pretty soon! :ohdear:

Despite my very lucid argument in favor of it my wife nixed the name Aryton :haw:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Thanks for the positive vibes everyone. Turns out it was a false alarm and something about a mucous plug. Kiddo is already two days late so if he isn't here by Tuesday AM he's getting drug(ged) out. :)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Well after the false alarm yesterday morning my wife went into labor last night. Cal was born this morning healthy and happy and now he's napping on my lap while I forum post :)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Comrade Flynn posted:

Fucker with the LP640 backed out of the deal to try to start a bidding war. gently caress that.

Gonna go look at this one instead (which is local): http://www.catsexotics.com/web/used/Lamborghini-Murcielago-2003-Lynnwood-Washington/1601483/

I'm curious to hear what you think about Cats, if they're legit or if they're cheesedicks overpricing cars so they can rip off football players and people cashing in their stock options with no sense like Parkplace LTD.

Also thanks for the congrats everyone :). My heart wants to explode due to an overabundance of joy. It's not unlike ITBs or Side Draft Carbs :haw:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Comrade Flynn posted:

He seems like a really legit dude. You can tell he just loving loves cars.

I had his email from when I recommended a buddy to buy a Diablo from him. Years later another friend asked me if I knew of anyone who would bring some exotics by for a charity function. I pinged Roy out of the blue who said "absolutely" and ended up showing up to this charity event with 3 Lamborghinis.

Right on, that's good to hear. I follow a few of the guys that work there and at the attached detail shop on Instagram. While they seem decent it's always hard to tell and a lot of the dudes in the car scene around here can be asshats. Not that I'm going to be buying anything from them anytime soon, but if I get to that point it's nice to know there is an option.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Congrats man! It looks awesome! Have you planned where you plan to take it for maintenance? I've heard a lot of Italian owners in the area prefer Alfa of Tacoma. Are you going to DD it too? You DD'd the GTR didn't you?

Comrade Flynn posted:

Also if anyone is in Seattle I'm happy to take you out in it.

I feel like I'd be an idiot not to impose :) :dance:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Holdbrooks posted:

I got my offer for the new job today and accepted it. Got a legit clinical title with will go a long way for me in the future and about a 10% raise to go with it. It's a pretty good birthday present other than having to tell the director at the university in the morning.

Congrats Dr. Holdbrooks PharmD! :)

I'm assuming that means 10% more funds for the exocet :)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Comrade Flynn posted:

Babby's first drive home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3UBKjmufn4

Revving because of course.

It's nice your wife is being such a good sport about it :)

Rhyno posted:

Neat!

Edit: I feel like you need to finish that garage and lay fancy tile so the car has a nice place to live.

I was going to post the same thing :). Hire a texture and paint guy to come out and make that place look like the cozy home that crazy car deserves! Unless you rent in which case ignore that.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

On food chat, I tried brussel sprouts for the first time last week, and they were good. I'd never avoided them, they're just one of those veggies I don't ever buy from myself, like cauliflower.

Anyway, I made some tonight, roasted in the oven with olive oil, fresh garlic, salt and pepper and they were pretty drat good alongside the roasted potatoes and chicken I also made. But then, it seems like just about any veggie is good with those items roasted in the oven :)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

some texas redneck posted:

Try making kale chips sometime - it's the same thing (olive oil, sea salt, pepper), but you only bake them long enough to make them crispy. They're delicate enough that you can't use them with dips, but they're pretty drat tasty. Then again, I love kale.

Good call, I'll have to try that.

Ferremit posted:

I LOVE brussel sprouts halved and then pan fried with butter and garlic, idea is just to start to blacken the outer leaves with a fairly high heat. drat tasty that way

I really like the ones that get blackened and a bit charred, so good.

CornHolio posted:

Just got a big promotion and pay increase at work :w00t:

Right on! Congrats and way to keep *Promote Goons 2015* going!

Geirskogul posted:

Just had a shop that specializes in ACVWs respray my hood.

drat, that looks good.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

zundfolge posted:

Got a small raise and a decent bonus at work, which was nice since today is my birthday. My partner is going to take me out to get steaks later. So far, I'm feeling pretty good about being 27. :toot:

Nice! Let them know that they've unfortunately (for them) set a precedent that know must be repeated for all of your birthdays :)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

Ugh, shut up about anime nerdssss

we need to be celebrating the FCC decision today and we will officially have Net Neutrality :woop:

gently caress yeah.

Also I'm pretty much a closet anime nerd so the above decision means that I can continue down this whirlpool of weeaboo horribleness because why yes I AM current on Naruto. SENPAAAAIIIIII!

Edit: Also I just confirmed that I'm going to see a DUNE inspired metal band Saturday night. Their first album was all about the first book and God I can't help but love sci-fi and fantasy concept albums.

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 26, 2015

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

T1g4h posted:

Check out Blind Guardian. They're a power metal band that did an entire album based off Tolkien's stuff. Not only that, but LotR is a common theme in a lot of their songs. They also got together with Iced Earth and made a group called Demons & Wizards, and one of their albums was based off Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

Nerdy metal rules :3:

Hell Yeah! I'll check it out. The band I was talking about was Sandrider btw in case you or anyone is curious.

rscott posted:

Led Zeppelin was writing songs about LotR long before Blind Guardian and In The Court of The Crimson King by King Crimson was one of the inspirations for The Dark Tower, prog rock is nerdy as hell

It's all good in my book.

Powershift posted:

Real avatars are earned :smug:

I've never said this before, but your red title is my favorite in all of AI. I remember when you got it (not by my hand) and cracking up. I still smile every time I read it because of the placement of the "LOL VROOM" on the picture as well as the "VROOM BROOM" in the text :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Are you people that get mad about putting beans or whatever else in Chili the same people that get mad about putting LSx engines in non GM cars? Because it feels like you're doing the food version of that. :colbert:

• Locked thread