Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Excels posted:

holy poo poo monty oum died

http://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/screens/2015-02-02/rooster-teeth-community-mourns-death-of-monty-oum/

completely random allergic reaction

mortality is a scary thing

Don't be sad that he never grew out of his awkward anime babe kung-fu movies, be grateful that he died without ever feeling the sting of how cringeworthy they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I couldn't get into Guacamelee because color-coded enemies that are immune to everything but one attack is one of the most tedious gameplay mechanics out there and it has two versions of that that make every fight take 3 times longer than it needs to.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

mysterious loyall Y posted:

I still don't know what loving amiibos actually do

It's on-disc DLC but you unlock with a chunk of plastic so that makes it OK.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

VaultAggie posted:

Holy poo poo, the sewer level in Wolfenstein 2014 is total garbage. I really want to like this game, but there's so much dumb poo poo that it's hard for me to enjoy it.

Wolfenstein 2009 by Raven Software was really good, I don't know why people completely ignored it but turned their inferior, gimmicky Singularity into a cult game.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

your evil twin posted:

I absolutely loved Raven's Wolfenstein 2009 and I did an extremely thorough Let's Play of it.

I am currently doing one of Singularity, which I also a massive fan of... but I never quite understood why people said it was so much better than Wolf 2009. For every individual thing that Singularity does better than Wolf09, Wolf09 did something else better than Singularity.

Singularity's upgrade system for weapons and powers was a feature tacked on in the final months of the game, with rather unexciting stat changes to your weapons and no visual changes. Wolfenstein's upgrades were magnificent. I loved fully upgraded the tesla gun so it fired out loads of streams of lightning that jumped between enemies, do electric melee attacks, and had expanded ammo capacity so that you could use it as the primary weapon throughout multiple missions. I also loved how you could upgrade your time-slowing power so that the shockwave when you activated it would petrify enemies. Or how upgrading the shield turned it into an instant-death flesh-melting forcefield.

I think it would have been awesome if Singularity had used Wolfenstein's hub town/resistance base idea, and had you visiting a resistance base between missions to get upgrades from Dr Barisov. Wasn't a big fan of the BIoshock/Dead Space style upgrade machines.

I was pleased to see that Wolfenstein The New Order re-used that resistance base idea, and even had Caroline return as the resistance leader. I remember some pre-release articles had claimed New Order was going to ignore Wolf09 and pretend it hadn't happened, which would have been an awful dismissal of a great, underrated game. (The journalists probably misunderstood a dev's comment about the supernatural powers not returning.)

You've probably already read this but it's a pretty good breakdown of why Singularity is so slapdash and transparently ripping off Bioshock. The version of the game with enough money and hardware to live up to their original ideas probably would have been great.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Jonathan Blow is a trust fund baby with enough money to drop nearly half a million dollars commissioning the art and licensing the music that made Braid marketable in the first place. Much like the Castle Doctrine guy he has ths weird fixation on minimalism that can only come from a person who has never had to go without and can pull the ripcord on their golden parachute the moment they actually have problems that require money.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Use an RSS reader that can load pages while stripping out everything but the text. Some apps can do it

RSS used to be the poo poo before everybody got greedy and crippled them because reading an article on your RSS feed instead of on their site meant they were missing out on that sweet sweet fraction of a cent from ad banner views.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Like 3/4s of my Steam library is shovelware from Humble Bundles that I keep buying because for some reason every other garbage indie game on the planet has Steam trading cards so they pay for themselves half the time.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lurdiak posted:

I've bought almost every Humble Bundle and I keep giving all the money to charity ha ha ha gently caress you devs.

When they had the humble bundle with Fez so many people tweeted screenshots of them not giving any money to Phil Fish :owned:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

le poisson le poisson

hee hee hee

hon hon hon

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

gay skull posted:

Great analogy.

I don't get why you guys are taking anime so seriously, I just like good things and I've noticed that the more anime and mallgothy things get, the more I just kinda don't want to even bother. Like, things that are super anime come off as some sort of mix as skeevy and childish, like the kinda poo poo we all loved when we were 15. You know, themes like "Let's use the magic of friendship to kill this deity, also here are some teenagers with K-cups and I don't mean coffee", and well, aren't we all pushing 30 by now? Maybe I've been on the forums too long, but I kinda feel like we should have all grown past that.

The whole mallgothy thing is a lot easier to explain and pretty much the same deal - games like Majora's Mask or Kingdom Hearts are exactly the kind of games you'd expect teenagers who hang out at Hot Topic to discuss in detail. You guys don't play Elmo's Number Journey for N64 and talk about how it's totally a hidden gem on the N64 because it's a game tailor-made for toddlers, why would you play a game made for troubled teenagers? And I know I should probably call them emo games or whatever these days but I'm old enough to actually be a teenager when mallgoths were a thing.

I know Shin Megami Tensei IV is fairly anime and kind of mallgothy, but at least it's written well enough so that anyone can enjoy it. Not that a game being mallgothy really means it's bad or anything, just usually out of your age range. It's good enough to not be full-on mallgothy (because Lord knows its theme fits like a glove), but the mallgoth barometer pretty much means "this is deep to 15 year olds who hate their parents and society but looks dumb to anyone past that". Same goes for anime.

I mean, gently caress, how could it get any simpler? Just play games made for your mental level. And I'm sure we've all mentally surpassed our teen years, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTPTYn01_h8

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

StashAugustine posted:

a pro hitman player would never get involved in a firefight in a city street broad daylight

really a hitman movie would just be a heist movie except somebody gets murdered instead of robbed

The opening kill of The Mechanic is basically the closest thing to an accurate Hitman movie.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Can't wait to have a three-way with my cyberdwarf dakimakura :huh:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Clay Kirby reminds me of the time that Double Fine tried to make a game that they described as Monster Hunter with Ray Harryhausen graphics, in spite of the fact that jerky faux-claymation animation is the last thing you want in a game like Monster Hunter where timing attacks is everything.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Excels posted:

i just want psychonauts 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIDYqBMFzfg

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Stop talking about bad devs and games and talk about Kirby you dorks

Yeah, stop talking about a company that is only noteworthy for their graphical style and storytelling and pay attention to this game that is only noteworthy for its graphical style :rolleye:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Double Fine should just contract themselves to punch up the graphics and writing of other studios' games since that's the only thing they're good at and all their gameplay is either bad or shamelessly derivative anyways.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lurdiak posted:

The only youtube cooking show worth a drat is Cooking with Dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei7r1IJt9t8

Youtubes of Japanese people making poo poo is an internet k-hole I am always happy to tumble into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ivFpsmEVQ

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Excels posted:

*inspector gadget voice* wowzers!

if you think about it Kirby and Inspector Gadget are basically the same character

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Excels posted:

it's a good time to be a wii u owner

Remember when the WiiU first launched and the talking point was that it was good because it was the one console that wasn't just the same genre over and over only with different graphics.

And now it's good because it's putting out a bunch of platformers with different graphical gimmicks. :allears:

Lurdiak posted:

Telltale one's no good? I didn't play it cuz I never really understood the appeal of Wallace and Gromit.

25 years ago they were technically impressive because they were claymated movies that had things lipsyncing and a moving camera. Other than that they're just another quirky/charming thing that an entire generation loves because it played on TV constantly where they grew up.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Only one of those games in the image you quoted is a platformer idiot.

It's still a more accurate description than Nintendo fanboys with sour grapes reducing an entire console generation of games to "brown shootymans".

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Please stop quoting Adam Bowen.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

FactsAreUseless posted:

You watch Curb when you gently caress your wife?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SmoBvg-etU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lurdiak posted:

Jesus Christ, how could anyone derive any enjoyment from The Order? It's so loving boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zUvI1JfV4M

The OST is mad decent, more games should use strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LHLAcd14b4

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Bicyclops posted:

I know there were lots of annoying memes associated with both Portal and Portal 2 but they were both great games.

Their naked contempt for the memes spawned by the first game and pointed refusal to revisit or expand on them only made it that much funnier when the internet turned the lemon speech into a meme. Especially considering that the texture files for Portal 1 are full of 4chan memes.

:wcc: :lovewcc:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
"retro" is the worst description because most old games are garbage by today's standards and it's used almost exclusively by washed-up developers trying to cash in on that one hit they had 20 years ago or kids who think that they can hide their inability to make graphics or music behind lovely pixels and chiptunes.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Stux posted:

bluirgh!!!! old games are garbage by todays standards, much like old films, books and music!!! im really mad!!!!

This is all true.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Harrow posted:

Anyone who has thus far tried to identify "the Citizen Kane of video games" probably has no idea why people praise Citizen Kane so much and half of them probably haven't even seen it.

The Citizen Kane of video games would be a video game that was critically overlooked on release and was only recognized for its technical innovations years later, so anybody applying it to a hot new game is wrong by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Has there been a new ip released on the xbox one or ps4 yet that people actually like rather than talking about how good the sequel will be?

The last time this wasn't the case for a new console is when they made the jump to 3d and people were too busy having their minds blown to actually exercise any critical capacity.

• Locked thread