Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
one thing i noticed about okc is that guys who don't want kids overwhelmingly tend to also be non-monogamous. what up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

LethalGeek posted:

I can't say I can help you because me having no interest in children has 0 to do with me liking to gently caress lots of people. I'm not being smart just those 2 things are separate thoughts in my head :shrug:

but like, it's true that you don't want children and you want to gently caress lots of people

i'm not saying there's cause and effect here, i'm saying that in my experience there's a serious correlation and it is one of the many many things that frustrated me about okc

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
hmmmmm maybe this is weird but "poly/non-monogamous person doesn't want kids complicating their sex lives" makes sense to me, but "childfree person doesn't want monogamous relationships" doesn't

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
i can't use tinder because i have a windows phone like a dumbass

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

ChrisHansen posted:

Tinder is a bunch of hookers and women who looked at the app six weeks ago.

As a 5'9" 135 lbs, can all these fats please stop messaging me? Twice my weight does not date.

wait do dudes just not use tinder or something

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
using okcupid as a black woman is a loving nightmare, but i'm almost bored enough to reactivate my account

please talk me out of it

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Bhodi posted:

no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs no thugs

i have never seen this phrase on any black woman's profile, but then again i've only looked at like three black women's profiles (helping out friends)

Libelous Slander posted:

do you date white guys? not asking for myself, of course

i date whoever

LethalGeek posted:

nah think of the thread content you can generate. Do it

alright

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
even if i were 100% shallow, it's not like there's any race of dudes that is unhot

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

froward posted:

quick reminder: black women have THE MOST difficulty dating, and you can land a woman two leagues up out of your own if you have your poo poo halfway together and aren't a racist cock. I'm an internet loser and I landed a date with an actual medical doctor.

oh great, now instead of my inbox being filled with nothingness, it's going to be filled with goons two leagues down from my own

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

LeoMarr posted:

said "Hey:)"

yup, that's a crib. :flame:

no it's not, it's a stroller

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Hadaka Apron posted:

I really hate that joke where a woman says they "listen to everything" and then list six bands you'd hear on the radio.

i listed a bunch of my favorite bands, then discovered after searching for them that no other dudes in my area were interested in most of them

i didn't even think they were that esoteric (i think i listed vreid, einherjer, and hollenthon among others), but metalhead problems i guess

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
it's the internet, people sometimes use shorthand/slang, deal with it

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Chomp8645 posted:

Maybe they don't think it's an UNFORGIVABLE SIN to get a wrong answer on a dating site question and that's why they just answer and move on instead of sperging out over it like you dorks.

Just brainstorming here.

answering "the earth" on the "which is bigger, the earth or the sun?" question is pretty unforgivable imo

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
i finally added all my information back to okcupid, and already a man who lives over 5,000 miles away who has three references to god in his profile has messaged me. i missed this soooo much.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
a guy just messaged me so i went to his profile

does not compute

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Chomp8645 posted:

What was the message

"Hi how are you doing"

nothing too crazy

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Otisburg posted:

Why, why are people using "boyfriend's arm around me but boyfriend cropped out" pictures on Tinder in TYOOL 2015 instead of putting up new ones?

my okc profile picture is of me with a guy's arm around me, but he is not, nor has he ever been my boyfriend, and our relationship is so brother-sisterly that it didn't even occur to me that i might be scaring dudes away from my profile with it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
he is happily married, and living across the ocean

edit: also he was living with his fiancee when i met him

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 27, 2015

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

ElGroucho posted:

That dumb bastard has to look at your okcupid profile and be like, "that's my arm"

he's not even on okcupid holy poo poo is it seriously that big a deal :pwn:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Otisburg posted:

See I look at it and think "If you're not over your ex enough to take a new pic, why are you here?" and pass.

Granted that's on Tinder which is more a reflex game like fruit ninja.

As a general rule for both sexes on any dating sites, think best practice for a main profile pic is just a flattering pic of you. All the "chillin with buds, this is my best friend of the opposite sex totes platonic" can be supplemental pixx. Maybe I'm wrong tho and other dudes like the "guess which of these 4 people mugging for the camera at the bar is me."

this s interesting. i wish my most flattering & recent pic didn't have a dude in it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

quote:

I'm alliterate

:ironicat:

edit:

quote:

distinguishly deteriated

:raise:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
i went on a really pleasant date with a dude who was nice & cute and he kissed me in the rain which was super cliche but still nice. then he stopped answering my texts lol

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
he straight up said "let's get together soon" and gave me the old fade-out

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

The Mentalizer posted:

You guys know it's possible to be confused or annoyed with being faded on without being an obsessive clingy weirdo, right? Saying "huh, I wonder why he said 'lets do this again' if he didn't actually want to?" isn't the same as thinking you're irrevocably bound to each other because some smooching happened, you goonlords.

"HAHA LOOK AT THIS CRAZY BITCH THAT CAN'T READ MINDS LIKE THE REST OF US COOL GUYS!"

thank you!

Otisburg posted:

Realpostin' some advice-- I had good success in the past using a direct but casual approach when I was feeling like I was being slowghosted on after a rather amorous couple dates, it was something like:

"Hey I'm getting a vibe like maybe you're not feeling getting together again for whatever reason. Totally cool if that's the case and I won't make it weird, just want to make sure where we're at."

She took the out and let me know direct "yeah you're nice just don't think we click for dating" kind of thing and I took it cool and knew where we stood, NBD.

So maybe kiss-stealer would respond well to the direct question if you couch it in "hey we're cool either way, I just want to know what up" thing.

Or maybe I'm a huge idiot with bad advice!

i really don't care that much. we had two exchanges that were like

me: hey, how was your weekend?
him: good. i did x, y, and z. you?
me: good. i did a, b, and c.
[days-long silence]
me: hey got any weekend plans?
him: going to dinner with a friend. you?
me: not much, watching the subway series, otherwise free.
[more silence]

i can take a hint.

The Mentalizer posted:

It just seemed like everyone was yelling at YeahTubaMike for absolutely no reason, since nothing she said sounded like she was being an obsessive weirdo at all.

nice to know i wasn't imagining that

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Shumagorath posted:

anonymous tip:

speaking of annoying blowhards

profile quotes:

"I have no skin color/racial preferences. I am however, very faithful to god and although I find debating with atheists fun, I don't think I could find a deep intamacy with a "non-believer"."

"I'd like to start a family someday. So I think unconsciously I dig ladies with curvy hips."

my profile specifically says i'm atheist and don't want kids

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
this dude who was a 20% match, who believes abortion and same-sex relationships are wrong, messaged me "What's up." i'd think that if i was so wildly incompatible with a guy i was into, i'd make at least a little effort to send a funny/interesting first message.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Monstrous Dooklord posted:

how can people still use this site with tinder around? there's no way it's anything like it was 3-4 years ago

i was going to say "some of us are windows phone users" but it turns out there's a windows phone tinder app. hmmmmm...

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Business Gorillas posted:

i dont understand people who put the "DONT loving BOTHER ME WITH SMALLTALK" on their stuff.

are these people actively looking for dates that divulge personal history and information at will to total strangers on the internet?

getting messages that just say "Hey" or "How r u" is really annoying and bothersome, like, at least put in a minimal amount of effort to ask me about something on my profile or tell me a little bit about yourself

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Yawgmoth posted:

Because (for me at least) I don't want to interact with someone who obviously doesn't give a poo poo. If you can't be buggered to at least open with "I like [thing in profile] too, what do you think about [something that relates to that]?" then you're probably dumb and/or boring. You don't have to expertly craft a piece of literature, you just need to demonstrate a basic level of literacy and intellect.

this

also, if i'm so loving interesting, could you please at least be bothered to take the time out of your busy day to spell out three-letter words in their entirety? i mean geez louise

the last first message i sent was about oatmeal cookies (he said he was good at making them) and reykjavik (he said he had visited there recently). it took me about two minutes to write.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
lol you might be right

also i would really love it if dudes with kids stopped messaging me

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

notZaar posted:

Have you tried switching to heterosexuality??

i am already heterosexual :confused:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Monstrous Dooklord posted:

Please don't worry about if a goon is a girl in 2015, if you wanna know what her profile looks like pick anyf of the ones posted in the other 125 pages.

i don't look anything like any of the chicks that have been posted here

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
i was supposed to have a date tonight with a guy, but he canceled because he was hitting it off with some other chick. it would have been nice if he'd told me about her earlier, like at any time in the week since we set the date, but it's cool. i have nothing against multi-daters.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Shumagorath posted:

How did you know he hit it off with someone else? He actually told you instead of making up the usual "family issue" excuse?

"Hey, I'm sorry to flake out on tonight like this, but I've been out with another girl a couple times recently and it's been going well." that was only the first sentence of the message, but yeah, you get the gist

11 hours notice on a date cancellation struck me as rude, but hey

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
yeah

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
he canceled the day of, that's early enough to...come home and watch the ALCS or something. yay?

anyway, i'm not that bummed or anything. i just thought it was weird because i feel like he would have known that he was into this other chick before 8:30 this morning, but it really isn't worth thinking about either way.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
okay

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
totally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

toggle posted:

dont worry date canceled goon (goonette?), theres more internet bums out there to be disappointed from

indeed

counterfeitsaint posted:

I think the point was the person cancelled the day of the planned date, and that it's poor form to give such short notice. But I guess that's less important than getting the chance to demonstrate just how well adjusted you are by smugly explaining things to other goons.

this is it. also, maybe it wasn't clear before, but this was meant to be a first date. again, whatever

been chatting up a metalhead dude who doesn't want kids, and it's been pretty nice

• Locked thread