Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Has anyone had any experience with Scourge Stalkers? I think they look kind of cool and I'd totally consider adding a squad of them + a Harbinger seeing as they occupy the same slot but I don't really know if they are as flexible as 3x Hunter MGT's + Marauder, although the Stalkers + Harbinger are actually slightly cheaper (if you don't take the Mini Arc Caster on the dropship).

e: I suppose the Hunter is more of a generalist uit you can use to really spearhead an attack while the Stalker relies on it's dropship to get anywhere fast, but if it gets into position it could really do some damage (to enemy vehicles).

Recoome fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Eden's Dinosaur actually looks really good

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

That was a great write-up, even though I'm mega new to DZC, mobility seems to be a very big factor and Stalkers just don't really have the mobility, although perhaps not going overboard with walkers might help too.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I actually ended up picking up the Resistance starter set with the intention of making a Feral Resistance force. So I've picked up a pair of Cyclone gunships for my planned larger army, but I'm currently going to built to 750 points which looks like

quote:

Feral Resistance Force
Skirmish: 737/750 points
Standard Army
Resistance Standard [737/750 pts]
Warlord's HQ [205 pts]
Alexander: M3 Alexander, AT-77 Lifthawk(+AA Cannon) [205 pts]
Vehicle Detachment [113 pts]
Gun Wagons: 3x Gun Wagon, NT-1 Kraken [113 pts]
Resistance Band [259 pts]
Fighters: 2x Resistance Fighters, AT-77 Lifthawk(+AA Cannon), 3x MT-90 Jackson [163 pts]
^ Sharing ^ Fighters: 2x Resistance Fighters [48 pts]
Rusted Fist [160 pts]
Hannibals: 2x M9 Hannibal, AT-77 Lifthawk(+AA Cannon) [160 pts]

You may note that there's no commander in it, well I can't really fit it in (7 points over) which is why I went overboard with the AA guns on the Dropships. It'll scale better to 1000 points or whatever, but at this level it's hard to fit many things in.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I really want to use the AH-16 Cyclones I have, conversely, I'd like to be able to use a commander with the command deck as well.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I had my first two proper games of gayzone commander today I'll write it up when I'm not drunk

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Okay, so this is a quick write up on the first two games of Dropzone Commander. We used the 2 player starter set, I played the Scourge and my friend played the UCM. We played 'Lightning Raid' both times.

Game 1

I won initiative so I elected to let the UCM activate first, he moves his dropships up the center, unloads his Sabres and Rapiers but critically keeps his fully loaded Bear APCs in their dropship. I send my Marauder dropship up my "right" side and unload Warriors into the "right" objective, with the second Invader APC moving to contest the centre. My Hunters and Reapers move behind the centre building with the objective, with the dropships positioned behind them.

UCM wins turn 2 initiative, so he begins to move his tanks up to engage the building my Warriors are in, his Rapiers are near the centre and critically he moves his fully laden infantry dropship from before to the "left" side, which is dangerously close to my Reaper AA tanks. Sensing an opportunity, I move my Reapers into the open and pray for initiative.

Amazingly, I roll a 6 for initiative for turn 3 and win it, so I run my Reapers up and engage and destroy the infantry's dropship, with everything "destroyed in the air". This basically loses the game for him here because he has no infantry to contest the objective, anyway my Warriors on the "right" objective grab it and begin extracting on their dropship. This is when we called it because he had no way on stopping me.

Game 2

Game 2 unfolded much like game 1 would've if he didn't lose all of his infantry. We used similar moves (except this time I was attacking the "left" objective. A brutal CQB fight ended up occuring in the middle building which ended up going until the end of the game, we both had claimed an objective so it was decided on kill points. All in all this game was much closer, I had killed all of his dropships and Sabres but he killed my Hunters, I was in a position to finally win the CQB in the middle but my claimed objective had their Invader APC shot out from under them, meaning I needed the middle objective to be extracted to win. I noted that the UCM had be very "mission focused" this time and managed to contain my extremely aggressive attacks by making very good trades. His AA tanks were absolute MVPs here and they almost won him the game.

Final Thoughts

Dropzone Commander is extremely fun and I am totally sold on the gameplay, it's exactly what I like in a minatures game and I think it's very well designed with solid rules that don't really have any bloat. My opponent criticised the ability to give the Skimmer bonus to a skimmer that didn't move (I declared that it moved and back and it was over 6") but thats more because he had a hard time shooting my Hunters with Sabres, and the 5+ to hit sucks (compared to my 2+). I feel that this is balanced by the versatility of the Rapier AA tanks, which are effective at engaging the Hunters, if you keep the Sabres with the Rapiers it is a difficult prospect to attack.

Next game I'll be using my Feral Resistance probably, although I really enjoyed the fast-paced playstyle of the Scourge.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

MisterShine posted:

Nominate a non-command vehicle as command?

I thought I tried this but ended up being too many points over, but I actually made it work so this is what I've done.

e: I can jam in 6 Rocket Technicals aswell, but without a transport. Is it potentially viable to run them sans any transport, seeing as they have a 9" move. My only concern is the transport has countermeasures, while the Technicals don't so they could be sniped from ages away.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 22, 2015

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Don't allow the dropship which carries the infantry APC's to get shot down before they disembark

Scourge Reaper AAGT's will wreck your poo poo

UCM Rapiers will kill your Scourge Hunters because gently caress you

The ability to shoot -> then move is really nice but it requires a bit more abstract thinking because you have to have everyone shoot at the same time (for that battlegroup).

This is something I learnt from BattleTech - Sometimes it really is better to let your opponent go first, because it allows you to react to their moves more efficiently, this is especially true during the first couple of turns. Further to this point, you can attempt to get a later move with a battlegroup and then win initiative the next turn so you can "double tap" them, that is move the last turn last, then move again first in the next turn and blast them. It works really well for Scourge but this point I am trying to make is that it's super situational and also isn't a guaranteed thing, as you have to win initiative.

Basically just like think.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

That Oppressor is scary as gently caress

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Feral resistance owns bones, sorry.

I really liked the tanks and dropships to begin with but now I am really into the mad-max style feral poo poo and want to take berserkers

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

MCPeePants posted:

How good are Resistance berserkers? From my literal no experience, scouring enemy troops out of buildings seems very useful, so berserkers may be the tipping point between Allied and Feral for me. On the other side of the coin, how are the Archangel Pathfinders? In my head it's a tradeoff between elite AA and CQB, please corroborate.

Either way, Mad Max renegades and bloated old tanks both kick major rear end.

I chose Feral Resistance because of the neat command cards, the fluff, and the berserkers. I'm planning to add Berserkers but the trade off is that they take up an Exotic slot which cold be filled with Occupation Vets, which are a ~really~ good infantry unit. Berserkers need to be paired with another infantry unit so you can actually take objectives, overall the Occupation Vets are a good all-rounder but Berserkers are certainly a way to clear a building.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

welcome to the good game crew

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Also remember that Freeriders' satchel charge E is now weaker.

I actually have a pair of Cyclone's now for some AT power, Resistance can't really stand up and fight toe to toe with a ton of tanks so I think that the attack choppers are really neat.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The AT-77 Lifthawk can carry 2 Hannibal tanks as advertised with no modifications, which would also apply to the Zhukovs. However, it cannot carry the 3rd Jackson halftrack, nor can it carry the M3 Alexander because both of those use the central mounting point which is obstructed by the flying base stick.

You would have to change the way the dropship is mounted in order to allow them to fit on. It's a really cool thing to aspire to but honestly I can't deal with the amount of asspain it would cause me to make my Lifthawk model carry those.

Also the Scourge are the easiest, as the only one I had issues with was the Rapier AAGT, and it's down to the turret elevation.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'm still questioning the absolute utility of the Feral Beserkers, they seem like an extremely niche unit which for 9 extra points could be a bunch of loving amazing general infantry which can do pretty much everything the Berserkers can do and actually shoot mans properly. If you used a Battle Bus, the Occupation Vets end up being better due to the ability to gently caress homies up with drive-bys, therefore you'd almost be better off using them Jacksons carried around in a Lifthawk, but then you have a small unit size AND they are more expensive.

They both got a 4pt reduction in the FAQ but I'm still not convinced that Beserkers are worth the reduction in armour and loss of guns when the Occupation Vets gets guns, E11 hit for every 3 hits, and Dodge +5. It's a shame that they both take up an Exotic slot because you could have a really awesome CQB murdermachine Feral thing if Berserks could just be Troops.

e: Could it be that you just don't want to send in your good mans to clear a building? You'd still need to follow up with regular Fighters in order to capture an objective, but on the same hand you could send in Occupation Vets into the same scenario and they'd pretty much do just as well.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 22, 2015

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I played Scourge for my first few games and yeah, AAA such as the Rapier are absolutely pro against that kind of poo poo. The issue is that you'll have less against more conventional forces like PHR or Resistance, which can actually bring a suprising amount of armoured hurt.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Please make Beserkers infantry now, so I may complete my Mad Max resistance

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Hey Resistance buddy, what list did you use?

Also I'm assuming you used Allied Resistance?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Ah nice, thanks for that. I am running Feral Resistance and the only difference I have in my list to yours is that I was looking at Gun Technicals over the Freeriders.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I for one look forward to my Feral Resistance liberating the poo poo out of everyone with ~war crimes~

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The Scourge ships are legit cool and exactly how I imagined them to look.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I think the side skirts look cool, but I'm not a fan of the upper space plates, and I can't really articulate why other than "looks weird".

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

These just popped up on the internet:

Sounds like the next batch of special characters is going to be released soon. I'm a fan of that PHR robot, have some serious questions about the feasibility of that tank even if I kind of like how ridiculous it is, and have no idea what's special about the drill.

The Drill is Big Bertha or something, basically it allows buses, Wagons, and Jacksons (????) to arrive from a tunnel.

It's a really neat character thing I think, idk my Resistance doesn't really use the Drill gimmick thing so I think it's neat but I wouldn't use it.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I think the Scourge dropships look really cool and alien and it kind of makes sense for the original fluff (one-way dropship for grav-tanks).

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Pash posted:

PHR look pretty sweet.

hello

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Be mindful that the Warlord's Retinue Technicals have E+3 CM, so are actually different to standard technicals

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I think some people have a love/hate relationship with the Hannibals because they aren't like using MBTs of the other factions. I use Hannibals as a bit of a blocker, I'll fly them somewhere in the Lifthawk and then that's basically where they'll stay, with their lifthawk running around and acting as a harrassing unit with it's AA Cannon and Missile Battery.

Resistance armour/dropships don't really have the same mobility as the other factions, so you really can't shoehorn them to do something they can't. You've got to rely on the faster, more mobile AT platforms for that kind of poo poo (i.e. Cyclones).

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Basically play Feral Resistance as if you were in Mad Max.

When your units die, make sure you say "Mediocre"

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Anyone had experience with Sappers? I think they look pretty good, but I don't have any Drills and I can't really justify taking them in MT-90s or a Battle Bus.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Incy posted:

CQB is a mug's game and always seems to happen about a turn after it needs to happen.

As long as we are using A6 buildings I shall continue my hatred of fighting with infantry.

I find it's timing, if you plan ahead you can get some really good decisive CQB results.

Infantry are pretty neat I like how they have a good niche in the game

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Flame weapons/ Chem rounds from the ATV good?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Bistromatic posted:

A variant of the iron cross is still in use today and i wouldn't care if he did a Bundeswehr army or something but he made it clear before that he is going for a Wehrmacht theme.

And the Wehrmacht on the whole didnt consist solely of monsters but it still was the military arm of the nazi regime, no way around it.

Was there any actual dicussion this time around? I obviously cant check but the hovercraft had comments disabled and i expected my parting shot to just be deleted.

sorry bro but if you are using the straight-edged Balkankreuz outside of a historical WWII game, then you are a dumb nazi gently caress

The current Bundeswehr, including the modern-day Luftwaffe, uses the Eisernes Kreuz, or the Iron Cross, which is flared.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Ugleb posted:

The main thing is to keep your dropships protected by your AA until the troops are landed. Plus you will typically get free reign for the first turn against fast movers as your opponent needs to roll a 6 for reserves.

It's pretty fun shooting down a dropship and murdering everything it was carrying.

It's weird going from the Reaper AAGT to the Gunwagons as AA, I realise now that I play extremely aggressively because Scourge was my first army and now I'm obessed with charging around with a lot of fast vehicles because it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Loxbourne posted:

Mad Max gibbering horde resistance is best resistance.

The Lifthawk Berserkerbox looks loving sick

e: The problem I have with my current list is actually fitting the Lifthawk Bezerkers in (at the Clash level). This is my current list
code:
Recoome's Clash Resistance
Clash: 1482/1500 points
Standard Army
	Feral Resistance Standard (Resistance Standard) [1482/1500 pts]
		Warlord's HQ [353 pts]
			Gun Technicals: 6x Gun Technical, NT-1 Kraken [98 pts]
			Alexander: M3 Alexander(Leader), AT-77 Lifthawk(+AA Cannon) [255 pts]
		Vehicle Detachment [211 pts]
			Gun Wagons: 3x Gun Wagon, NT-1 Kraken [113 pts]
			Rocket Technicals: 6x Rocket Technical, NT-1 Kraken [98 pts]
		Vehicle Detachment [196 pts]
			Rocket Technicals: 6x Rocket Technical, NT-1 Kraken [98 pts]
			Gun Technicals: 6x Gun Technical, NT-1 Kraken [98 pts]
		Resistance Band [244 pts]
			Fighters: 2x Resistance Fighters, AT-77 Lifthawk, 3x MT-90 Jackson [148 pts]
		Resistance Band [208 pts]
			Berserkers: 2x Berserkers, NT-1 Kraken, 2x Battle Bus(+Heavy Machine Gun Battery) [160 pts]
		Rusted Fist [270 pts]
			Hannibals: 2x M9 Hannibal, AT-77 Lifthawk(+AA Cannon) [150 pts]
			Cyclones: 2x AH-16 Cyclone [120 pts]
I basically went for a fuckload of Technicals with Gun Technicals acting as Scouts for command cards and Cyclones. The issue that I have with Berserkers is that Exotics are harder to come by for Troops as it limits the amount of MFBs/ATVS and poo poo, and I don't think Berserkers are as good as those choices really (they are more on par with better melee troops at the expense of being able to hold/take objectives).

Recoome fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 9, 2017