Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Good, I was so drat tired with the ESL stream commentators masturbating to fnatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Where do you guys find streams of those pro games? I feel like I stumbled into TRP Premiership thread :(.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

symbolic posted:

They're usually on Twitch.tv or mlg.tv. The current tournament is going on here.

Thanks, man!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

iNteg posted:

Our stress was real when I listened to McVey and put de_dust in; and lo and behold we got de_dust... Against a group of SFMCs. It was our rank up match and we blew it 16-14 because dust is the worst.

This sounds interesting, and frankly, I'd like to see some guys who are good at the game play dust. Could you share a link to the demo?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
What a nasty game are VP having against Immunity. The Aussies are getting utterly wrecked on Mirage now, with Snax buying an M249 and Pasza on a SCAR. No respect at all.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Oh hey, what's this

Here's Google Translate so that you don't need to go looking too far, but it might just be better without it at first.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

conversation piece posted:

How do I get the color symbols like this? http://oddshot.tv/shot/meclipse-2015102345412796

I am partially colorblind and mess up my colors sometimes

Game Options -> Show Teammate Colours in Competitive -> Colours and Letters

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
That backstory video on Get Right was something else.

Also, when they talked about "how it feels to lose", the camera showed him shaking hands with Snax, looking totally dejected. Figures!!!!!!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Anyone bored enough to watch my demo and tell me why I'm so bad, especially on CT?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Demostrs posted:

just watching ct side real quick

1. rotate faster on pistol, there's no reason to stand still watching the flank in radio when theyre planting lower, especially if noone shows there
2. you keep burst firing with pistols and smgs (presumably rifles as well but havent seen them yet) but youre half way committing to spraying as well; keep m1 held down or reset your aim and then begin bursting again bc you're getting the worst of both worlds
3. five seven is more accurate than you think dont adjust for recoil like that when they are immediately upon you and fire faster
4. always assume they will boost a person marshmallow when scoping outside and dont let him shoot u twice for fucks sake
5. if you know they have scopes and you are not significantly better than them while on an eco, dont stand still and challenge the awp. if hes alone rush him down and try to make yourself ahrd to hit, if not just wait for him to come to you and play a close angle
6. aug round is alright, you burst better than you've done in previous rounds but the crosshair placement u use is more akin to an awp's and a decent awp would be able to deffo snipe you from that position, but it worked out. also, you should have recognized the dude in vents quicker and, personally, i would not have tried to rush him down unless you thought for sure he'd be going upper (he might have faked out going up one of the ladders but i wasnt paying close enough attention)
7. round 22 you would have been exposed to mini staying on the roof of hut if they pushed it, but you rotated off of it before that could happen and actually peeked them, and i think that the aggressive move was the correct decision so gj
8. dont reload so much
9. no reason to work over to radio and chestbump ur friend when a teammate has pushed it and theyve shown outside, just set up a crossfire in lobby, push together, and once u dont see anybody immediately fall off
10. work on fundamentals
10a. play dm
10b. play aim maps
10c. yolo
10d. eat ur dorites
10e. you know what it is (black and yellow)

thats about it

Thanks for the effort dude, but, uh, I think you watched someone else from my team. I was nowhere near radio on pistol, only used the 5-7 once (and at standoff distance then), I used the AUG for like 10 seconds in the last round before getting dropped without firing a shot, round 22 I'm in the warehouse outside, getting AWPed. I think I know who these apply to, though, so I'll pass them on. Thanks anyway!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Demostrs posted:

well you should fuckin tell us who you are, i watched the top fragger ct side second half (dj or something like that) because thats the name that came up as the person who the demo belonged to

edit: oh i see why that is, csgo defaults to whoever the first person is on the scoreboard anyway do thats why it said it was pj's

see the highlights, lowlights section, that's why i though it was him. you have the same steam/sa username which feels rare, i just completely overlooked it

Yeah, didn't mean to indict you for that or anything, sorry if I sounded that way. You're doing the good thing and poo poo, I kinda goofed by not pointing out the username thing. Cheers.

edit: also maybe I shouldn't even handled this as a demo, because honestly my performance CT side in that game was absolutely abysmal. If you just watch me there, you'd be done in like two minutes. I was second in my team T side, then I go outside on CT and have no clue whatsoever how to handle that. Tried playing warehouse - got dropped, tried to play near mini - got dropped, tried to play up close - nobody showed up. I got two kills in eight rounds, died every time. So, if anyone has tips on holding outside nuke, I'd appreciate that.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 1, 2015

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
These clutches are absolutely insane.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Streamers on ESL Envy vs mouze are playing spectator racing because happy dropped, lol.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Famethrowa posted:

So, my team was pretty awful, but I think I played my best game yet.

steam://rungame/730/76561202255233023/+csgo_download_match%20CSGO-nOyXj-LJJVT-bpFti-xhN95-RLkHB

Tell me why I'm a terrible player. :shobon:

edit: I know for a fact I peeked a few times that was real dumb, and I pursued an enemy in the stupidest way possible many times.

I watched it. I take it you're slurps in that video, right?

I'm a GNM myself, so don't take what I write as gospel, but I think I can see a few persistent problems in your gameplay.

1) Your aim seems decent for Nova level. Your crosshair positioning could use some work. Keep that crosshair a bit higher up, that helps a lot.
2) What was your team like, comms-wise? It doesn't seem like you talked all that much, there was no co-ordination at all.
3) You don't have to buy every round. Even if your team does, you don't have to. If you can't talk them out of it, don't bother, but just do your thing: don't force if you're low, don't buy if more than one other person is low.
4) Conversely, if you do have cash to spare, buy a helmet! It might be less mandatory CT-side, but the terrorists won't always have those AKs and AWPs. In fact, there is quite a lot of rounds in this very game where you run into people with MAC-10s, MP7s, Bizons. I don't think it backfires on you spectacularly anywhere, but it helps and it's just $350 more. However, not buying a helmet on T-side is just criminal, and you do that several times! Remember, if you don't have a helmet, an M4 headshot kills you, but if you do, you get a second chance to one shot the guy with your Kalashnikov.
5) Same goes for the defuse kit. But you noticed that yourself.
6) If you're forcing up, buy a full armour set. Don't buy a bare Tek-9 (P250 is fine).
7) With the AWP, fire and move. Don't just strafe around like you would with a rifle, you need to be perfectly still to land that shot. Don't peek corners with an AWP. When you kill a guy, consider changing your position (obv less important in solo queue).
8) When defending, change positions within a given area. You move around the map a lot, but in specific locales you always play the same position, regardless of your weapon and the general situation. The downside to this is that by round 18 or so they just knew where they could expect you. This was particularly bad with regards to A site and Goose. You never played it from the car, or the trash container, or the site itself, or the boxes, or the pit even, just Goose. And they did wise up to it, I think.
9) You buy smokes, which is good! Consider learning some good ways to throw them to open up the map. On D2, I think the long doors-> pit area benefits the most from a decent smoke or two, and you got mowed down while coming out of the double doors several times - some nades would have helped with that. There's also a couple easy smokes to cover you from platform when walking out onto B site.

For specific rounds:

3. Don't buy round 3 on CT if you've bought and lost the first two rounds. It worked out fine this time because you got those three kills, but if you had died without killing anyone (a distinct possibility on an eco), you wouldn't have had the money for the M4.
4. You made the right call with the move to Goose, but you shouldn't have peeked that AWP, and most definitely not twice. You had a smoke, you had a flash, getting out of there would have been fairly easy.
6. You almost hit a team-mate. This (and another situation way later) prompts me to think you might not be using radar enough. Don't be afraid to press TAB. Also, when you come at the king, you best not miss: when flanking an AWP, bail if you don't kill it instantly.
7. You could have upgraded to helmet no problem for $350 here. You should have done that.
8. Nice nade. Your team was not watching mid up until now, which was a big problem. You changed up on that later on, though.
9. If you want to play mid doors or watch short from the cross, run as you would towards B, then turn around and go there. You have time to spare, and the way you ran in the terrorists could see you moving there and knew you were around.
11. That was quite a reckless push, I like that. Consider using a smoke next time, though. You also made a lot of noise in the tunnels, which almost got you killed, and didn't check your corners right. It worked out in the end, though.
14. More blue on blue. Radar would have helped that, if you had used it, and it's not like you were looking anywhere you could expect an attack from. You could not have helped the guy if you were arranged like that, you should have been looking down long and shifted positions if he died or fell back.

16. Duallies? Odd choice. On the other hand, literally nobody on the server bought armour.
19. If you have the bomb, don't charge blindly (i.e. without info) into cross. You're vulnerable from many sides when you're there, and if you die, the bomb is pretty much irretrievable. Short was a better option.
21. You're on long with the AWP. You're expecting your opposite number to be on the site. That means you have a few options: flashing yourself out is a very straightforward one, for example. More chancy is a jump into pit and duelling from there. Trying to just walk out around the corner and fight them head on is definitely not a good idea. You've been on the other end several times, you should know this.
22. Don't scope in with the SG when you're mobile. Use it as you would an AK in such general circumstances. The momentary confusion of scoping in and the speed decrease probably contributed to you dying before finishing off the guy below you.
23. I wrote down something about "SMOKE!". I can't recall what it was.
24. Did you share info on the guy in the door with your team? Nobody even checked that, nobody smoked him, he just stayed there and chilled until they all turned their backs to him and died.

That's it from me. Someone else is bound to poo poo on this advice, so there's that. And if you feel like you have a lot to improve, remember: it's hard to argue with 28 frags.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Jeza posted:

Not disagreeing with most your thoughts, but there's a few that are worth bringing up:

"Don't peek corners with an AWP" - This might be a little confused? AWP is definitely not a turret. Strafing round corners while scoped and unscoped are both definitely things that are done. Because you are moving so slowly, the time until you stop completely is very short. This allows you to peek corners, stop and shoot very quickly indeed. It is almost the bread and butter of AWPing. You'd never be able to AWP as a Terrorist with this rule.

I may have been too general with something specific. What I meant was more like he walks out, slowly, around the back area of A, around Goose, to peek people he knows are in the double doors area. He knows they are there, they know where he is, they're probably waiting for him. If they have an AWP, that's it.

Jeza posted:

"Don't buy Tek-9 without armour" - Debatable. Everything is relevant to the context ofc, but there are rounds where it is acceptable to do this. I will do this plenty. You say P250 is fine though, well, Tek is fine too for only $200 more. Depends on your cash.

Of course nothing is ever hard and fast, but if you're going into an eco you need to consider the fact that you might die without killing anyone. If I'm investing 500 bucks into a gun, I want some protection to go along with it, otherwise it's IMO too much of a risk of just turning it into a free upgrade to the other team. A Tek-9 is the Officially Best Weapon Ever. A P250 turns you from "useless against armour" to "not useless against armour", so I'm much less worried about losing it.

Jeza posted:

"Criminal to not buy a helmet as T" - Yes and no. If you can afford it as well as nades, this is true. I actually think your advice holds at GN because nades are wasted, but generally speaking a smoke has more utility than a helmet. A pro with $3700 probably won't buy helmet + AK, but kevlar + smoke + ak, or even galil + kevlar + smoke/2flashes or galil + helmet +smoke/flash.

My preference is to buy a helmet over a HE, and if I can't afford helmet and smoke, I'd drop AK to Galil. Situations where you actually need to choose between a helmet and having any nades are rare enough on T in my experience. And if you can afford the helmet (he could every full buy round) you get the helmet, it's really valuable T-side.

Also I might be wrong about this but D2 seems much more forgiving in terms of grenades than most other maps. Like, I rarely die with my smoke on Inferno, or Nuke, or Mirage, but I have maybe two or three spots where I routinely chuck a smoke on Dust.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So far VP over Fnatic, TAZ hat still supreme, can MEISTER hat compete????

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I'd like to see a pro tournament that was specifically cs_ maps only. Like, explicitly say it's absolutely not serious, make it charity or something, then let the pros loose on maps they probably haven't even seen in years.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Is anyone watching VP-HR? It's quite awesome.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

symbolic posted:

Last time I checked, byali was going 3-15 and they were still winning, albeit by a small margin.

Pasha is quite big today. He had a masterful play where he snuck through a wall of smokes they put up on CT-stacked A site and ran into the tunnels, then down to the now-empty B. Amazing stuff.

EDIT: VP into a double scout CT-side Mirage after a lost pistol, pasha tags 3 or 4 guys with it :stare:

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 7, 2015

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Is the stream utter garbage for anyone else? Everything else seems to work fine, but the twitch stream just keeps stuttering. It keeps having to rebuffer even on Mobile setting.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
nitr0 is insane and Liquid is doing quite great. Pity HiKo is a fat smug neckbeard, I could have liked this team.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Mousesports have fired gob b in favour of Spiidi and are just in the process of getting brutally owned (lost Mirage 1-16) by CSGL, a second-tier Polish team, in the Road to Vegas quarterfinals.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
And mouse lose to Lounge after a very nice game on Dust II, where they managed to throw away a 11-4 CT-half lead and lose 16-13. ChrisJ played quite a strong game, he pretty much showcased every available AWP position there is on that map.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Jeza posted:

Maps are really nothing to do with skill ceiling, it's a question of how much time a team has to work with in order to make strats. Teams already cannot and do not prepare every map for an event. Adding 10 more maps for funzies will actually make the overall skill level drop, because in order to succeed they will have to spread themselves thin attempting to learn most of them.

Knowing a map here isn't just "drop me in and I remember most of the angles". Being "current" on a map takes a lot of behind the scenes practice.

What could be interesting would be having a larger map pool (say, 12 or so), but only 7 or 8 of them being in active rotation, with one map being replaced every 4-6 months.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
More grenades = better than. I can't shoot for poo poo and grenades are a great good decent sometimes sufficient equalizer.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Lost one game 16-14 and the entire team dropped down a rank. I wonder if we'll be back to silver by week's end.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Conquest is apparently no longer Conquest. Hope they stick together, they're fun to watch.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

surc posted:

So is fiff really back in NiP or was it a cruel joke designed to crush my soul?

I watched the POV stream of the Katowice 2014 final and VP spent half the first map talking about nothing but mocking fifflaren.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

fennesz posted:

I know a lot of you seem to goon man exclusively (or faceit/esea/whatever) but for those of you who still play MM: how has your experience changed since the rank update?

I've noticed a massive increase in throwing, poor/no comms and smurfing since the changes to ranks. Curious if any of you have noticed the same.

I deranked from GNM to GN2 (or even 1 now?) in like four games. Only one of them was even close (at least on the scoreboard), the rest were all utter stomps for one side or the other.

On the other hand, I just got my first competitive ace! :woop:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Famethrowa posted:

lol the way they peeked one by one after they knew exactly where you were.

I like to think that the two of them being late to support their balcony-jumping comrade was thanks to my masterful use of incendiary grenade to delay them, while the final attacker died the way he did because he wanted to know which particular dubstep tune I'd pick in my hour of triumph

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
s1mple did get kicked out of Flipsid3 for bashing on his team mates, which could be a problem in NA CS. Also, not only does he have to move across the pond, he has to take extra English lessons, apparently. It might turn out to be more trouble than he's worth.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Mister Bup posted:

What I'm confused about though is sometimes I get past a level in one kill and sometimes it takes two. How does that work? Id on't think it's headshots.

If you kill the top player on the enemy team, you level up instantly. Same if you kill anyone with a knife.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I've looked at the comments on hltv.org and aside from the brainless "HAAARGGARAGHH VOLVO FUG UUUUU" nerd rage the only "argument" anyone has is that "there were no rules saying you get banned for match fixing when they got banned!"

How stupid a statement is that, drat.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So I finally fell back to Silver Elite Master, where I was originally placed... five months ago? Or something like that? I was hoping the game would at least keep me in the low Novas, where I was for the past week or two, but it looks like it only happened because we had a long victory streak - one poor performance and it's back to the silvers for the whole team. Not gonna lie, it's pretty disheartening.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Oh, I'm fully aware. It just looks bad, you know. And it makes me wonder where would I place nowadays if I played the way I played back then.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So the lads and I keep winning T halves on Nuke, then losing horribly on CT halves. I still don't get how and why.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

gigawhite posted:

Should I just be playing face it or something if I live in Chicago? Having a 50 ping every match when I'm playing against east coast people with 20 ping is getting frustrating. I just moved from New York and the difference is noticeable

When I was playing today, I had ping values upwards of 100 pretty much regularly, and another guy on my team had to deal with ping spikes reaching 300 or more and lasting a better part of a round. 50 ping compared to 20 ping really should not be an issue, ever.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
No no no, they are still playing train. The best moment for me was when Titan was sitting on the bomb with two guys, dupreeh trying to clutch it, tossing in a Molotov and having the server start loading in de_dust at that instant for some reason.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
In Tier 2 CS News, LDLC just got kicked out of the EU Minor by a PUG team. It was a really fun match to watch, CG have made some great plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
How would it be possible to install and setup cheats during a LAN event? Do the pros bring their own machines or something? I'd suppose everything that happens on those desktops would be supervised by an admin somewhere.

• Locked thread