Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Remember how the game wouldn't let you have a group of 5 friends play and forced you to use a random for the monster?

They fixed that in the beta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

By forcing you into private matches to preserve some imaginative competitive play?

Ummm yeah, there's 5 of you so you would all be playing together in a private match why would it matchmake you if all 5 were there

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

They could just leave it open like other new games using this unprecedented method not developed by the same people like l4d2 in case someone drops out so someone else can drop in.

It already does that though, and it's exactly like left 4 dead. A bot takes over until someone rejoins or another player still in game takes over the bot. They're custom matches and you can make all sorts of changes as well and pick different mutators. Even in the regular match making if someone leaves someone can join and take their place. It's been that way since the beta.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
hosed up that a video game has DLC

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
No one ever talks about how Evolve is getting free map packs and game modes, or how you can play as the DLC characters without owning the DLC if you join a friend and switch with them either

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Brackhar posted:

Is the game in a much worse state than it was in the last beta?

Its actually a lot better than beta I can actually run with most settings maxed out now. Can't do high textures though because 660 Ti only has 1.5GB of fast vram, and I actually got into a game almost instantly with just 2 people instead of being stuck on matchmaking for an hour. My stuttering also vanished.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

hemale in pain posted:

Agreed, but it didn't try to charge you for tank skins. Can you imagine how lame that would be?

Imagine if they sold hats

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
But the port isn't garbage at all and the few issues anyone reported were related to video card drivers.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Let's flip this back around.

How is this port worth 60 dollars especially considering that it has day 1 bugs, locked content, has assets recouped from console sales already and faces stiff competition from other products that are often lower priced?

What content is locked besides cosmetic reskins

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
I'm mad about hats

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
I just cant enjoy this game if i don't have that green lizard skin

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
A young Bear Grylls

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
I hope the bird talks

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

can you use lazarus device from a distance or what. im starting to think he's sort of bad since he depends on a dude dying but guess what fucker, if you're dead there's a chance lazarus might die getting to you anyway and this could be avoided if he had a healbeam....fart

Lazarus is good because his revive has no penalty like everyone else, so you can die an infinite number of times instead of twice and then going back to the ship immediately.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Eonwe posted:

if there are any games you hate as much as I hate Evolve you can post about them here

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3700254&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post441436480

i posted about how evolve makes me want to poo poo myself in rage

I was waiting for someone to post a shark tank over evolve we've come full circle

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I guess the deal breaker for me would be how much I have to grind to get all the significant gameplay features for the monsters. Would suck to play this game and find out I have to play 50+ matches as the Kraken or something to unlock the perks that make it not suck. I have no idea if it actually works like that. The OP is pretty scarce about this stuff and the stream I'm watching just has a ton of +points in like a dozen different things at the end of each match.

It doesn't work that way. You unlock new characters by getting 1 star in all of the previous character's abilities. It's pretty easy to do this in just 1 playthrough of evacuation now, it used to be a lot grindier in beta. The other perks are earned through ranking up, and you can only pick 1 perk at a time, and the faster eating perk is unlocked at like level 2 and is the only perk you ever need.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Just a heads up, you can check all of the tutorial videos from the main menu in the extras section. It has the little video that plays when you pick a character for the first time and they're all available from the start. As a bonus when you finally do play that character for the first time, you won't have to wait through that video to get into game.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
If you look most of the negative reviews are also labled "Pre Release" now and none of the writers own the game. It's because the full game uses the same content ID as the early alpha so if you had access to the alpha you can write a review.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

I saw a lot of the pre release ones were also posted on the 9th when the game was released. Which either means their reviews should still be accurate or they dramatically changed the game when it unlocked.

No one who posted a review with the "Pre Release" tag on it has it in their recent activity list so they didn't play a review copy, they played the Alpha from november.

There are negative reviews from February 9th that do not have the pre release tag and those people actually own the game and it shows up in their recent activity log.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Steam actually detects if they own the game or played in an older alpha/beta and flags the review appropriately? That is surprising to me for some reason.

They just enabled it today in the last couple of hours it seems.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Evolve needs this

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Is this a real thing or just an excellent photoshop?

Poe's Law is in full effect here.

It's 100% real
http://store.steampowered.com/app/281346/

quote:

Deliver chronic lethality when you customize with the new Blunt Force Personalization Pack, complete with all-new themed camo, reticle, patch, playercard and background.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

LuiCypher posted:

Let me introduce you to my friend called 'the internet'. It is the world's largest shitposting machine. Have you ever thought that maybe the bad reviews are, you know, a way of protesting the exceptionally greedy business practices of a publisher and that this is not the first time this has ever happened in the history of said internet? See: Spore DRM, Battlefield 4 launch, etc. Someone who's played the game during Alpha/Beta, thought it was meh, and hates the ham-fisted DLC practices of 2K might actually still have a valid opinion.

Spore got bad reviews because it was really bad and not at all what was advertised and bf4 launch the game was completely broken people weren't putting negative reviews because of skins though. I'm not saying these aren't legitimate reviews I'm saying that all of the reviews that say Pre Release are from people who don't have not played the launch version of the game and that a lot of things changed from the alpha so the reviews talking about those things may not be from the final version of the game and should be looked at accordingly.

vvv That's not what I'm saying, and I'm sorry that I have seemingly upset you :(

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Yeah you can grind everything in solo if you really want to

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

DirtyTalk posted:

I wanna know more about the game but I can't really gather what people think of it because everyone is stuck on the DLC boss =/

I'm not going to lie, I myself wonder why the gently caress a publisher can't release a full game anymore. With that said the game looks kind of cool and if it's worth a poo poo I'd pick it up.

Total bullshit that it's keeping players away that aren't willing to give up their hard earned :20bux: (x3) when you have games like Dota that people can play for years without paying a dime.

It's a really polarizing game so all anyone can really do is suggest reading reviews and check out a couple streams on twitch, or wait for the free weekend. Definitely don't pay full price though.

vvv Do you have a 660 Ti by chance? I've noticed through out alpha, beta and retail that I can't run textures on High but I can crank everything else up as long as I leave textures at medium, and I'm wondering if it has to do with vram usage.

VarXX fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 12, 2015

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Turra posted:

I can't say to how well the aiming is with hunters using a controller, but I use one whenever I play monster just fine.

It adds a little aim assist when you use a controller as the hunters.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Dyz posted:

This is always my biggest problem with goliath. I had a team today that couldn't even break my armor as lvl 1 but I ended up losing because I just couldn't shake them to evolve.

Get charge and Leap Smash as your first 2 skills and whenever you get into a fight, use the standard leap mixed with charging and leap smashing to get distance quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Black Baby Goku posted:

496,909 1,263,992 Dota 2
101,660 454,373 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
37,831 88,480 Team Fortress 2
23,275 59,075 Sid Meier's Civilization V
18,877 53,179 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
18,752 65,148 Garry's Mod
16,334 73,802 Football Manager 2015