Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kewpuh posted:

i guess the sdxc card i bought is just hosed because i've been trying to redownload all my games for a couple days now and the eshop keeps making GBS threads out error codes at me once i hit like 16gb on the sd card. trying one final hurrah with the full (overwrite) option with sdformatter and i guess if that doesnt work then yay

I don't know if 'spend more money' helps as an answer but I bought this one and it works great. It was actually even cheaper when I bought it and goes on sale regularly. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M55C0NS/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

The moon looked really cool on my way home from work tonight so I bought Majoras Mask. Guess I'll finally see what all this fuss is about. Goodbye weekend!

Day of the first day. 72 hours remain.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

extra stout posted:

I already feel embarrassed by the amount of anime poo poo on the 3DS so if I could vote to make the vita illegal I would.

Also if I never played the original Majora's Mask would I love the remake? I'm guessing everyone complaining is just being a nerd and reminding us all they liked a dark purple game about being dead or whatever even way back when they were 11.

Yes, you'll like the Majora's Mask remake, unless you just plain wouldn't like Majora's Mask anyway. It has a lot of improvements and the bulk of the complaints are "it's different" rather than "it's worse."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Welcome to every JRPG in the last decade.

Go buy a console/gaming PC and buy a Dark Souls game or Bloodborne to wash the filthy taste out of your mouth.

You do know Dark Souls isn't the answer to every problem, right? It is extremely good for the type of game it is but it isn't what you're necessarily looking for if you want to play an RPG.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fuzz posted:

You guys clearly missed the tongue in cheek aspect of telling him to play a Souls game. It's practically an SA meme nowadays.

If you want a decent western RPG for real, Witcher 1-3 (still not totally RPG, but closer than most) or a Bioware game.

Or Pillars of Eternity. :getin:

The problem with making that joke is that it's indistinguishable from comments people unironically make.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Artic Puma posted:

How are more people not making fun of the guy who said he plays the 3ds while running on a treadmill?

Oh no, someone does something to keep their hands busy while on a treadmill. How terrible.

I guess I better tell all the people reading, using their tablet or listening to music at the gym that god intended the treadmill only for staring blankly ahead at a wall.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

It's Stella Glow, though. Sega published it in Japan and that's a sure sign of an Atlus localization.

Heaven knows how that game turned out, though. From what I heard the developers went bankrupt halfway and the CEO ran away.

Considering the developers' recent track record it's probably borderline unplayable but we'll see.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

goferchan posted:

Yeah just tell them that you were in Iraq or in a coma or in prison or something. Or all 3

Big Boss?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So was code name steam garbage or something? I remember people flipping out about how excited they were for it then it came out and I heard literally nothing about it.

It wasn't bad really but it wasn't great either. The enemy turns took way too long (although they've patched that I think) which probably would resolve a lot of people's problems with it.

It mostly suffered for being compared to Valkyria Chronicles which does the same idea better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

majormonotone posted:

Aren't most of the anime boob characters underage? that's pretty creepy

Yeah, this is my genuinely biggest problem with the thing. If you want to wank off to anime titties in the privacy of your home, whatever, but sexualized teenagers (or even younger-than-teenagers) is creepy no matter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So does P&D Mario Edition do away with the lovely-rear end F2P level curve design of the original game? That's basically the big thing I hate about F2P games and I'm curious if they rebalanced it for smoother gameplay or if it's basically just a F2P-style grind but without money limits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Glenn posted:

All of the earlier Meteos chat made me realize how much I missed it, only to find out that I can't find my copy. I ended up re-buying it on Amazon today -- I know my copy's probably somewhere, but I really don't want to risk never playing it again. :downs:

Quick question: how necessary is it to play SMT: Devil Survivor before Devil Survivor 2? I might buy it if there's a sale.

The games are completely unrelated plotwise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I imagine they're still terrible though.

God, I hate energy systems more than anything else in F2P.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Also, Koei-Tecmo announced that the international version of Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 will not be getting the Hyrule Warriors Link/Zelda costumes from the JP version.

That's... really weird. I wonder why,.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

N64 games are bugfuck insanity code with no standardization whatsoever, so the requirements are probably more lenient. SNES games straight-up aren't happening because the resolution for them is taller than the 3DS's screen. GBA games are a SLIGHT possibility on the n3DS with ita extra cpu grunt, but they had to fudge a barebones lovely emulator for the Ambassador titles on the original model that is nowhere near Nintendo's standards.

It's not even about standards really. The GBA games freaking suck. You can't even close the system to pause them which is actually a lot more annoying than you'd think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

Seriously, why would they bring DQ8 overseas if they still haven't localized DW7?

Dragon Quest 8 is a safer bet than DQ7

People actually have nostalgia for it as it was fairly successful in the west. It actually has a smaller script than DQ7 does IIRC as well as nicer graphics (even on the 3DS downscale) and a lot of other touches that make it more likely to do well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terper posted:

What am I supposed to do with my 3DS before 2016 and the new Fire Emblem and Bravely Second come out?

There are puzzling dragons that need you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Flynn Taggart posted:

Also can somebody explain the appeal of style savvy? Is this a creepy my little pony thing or is the game legit good?

It is a legit good light game for someone who is in to fashion stuff. I bought it for my little sister and she's really happy with it, but it's also pretty well designed on its own. It isn't going to win you over if you dislike the concept but it's good at what it is trying to be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can already tell I'm going to be tired of hearing the word Groose in upcoming weeks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

I liked the gameplay of PAD but hated the IAP model and the reliance on RNG and daily lucky dungeon drop grinding to progress. How's PADZ in that regard? I don't mind a bit of grinding.

You don't need to grind at all to finish the main story but if you want to collect all the monsters you're gonna have to grind levels and daily dungeons to get the materials to upgrade. It's a huge boost over the original version but still has grindy elements. They're a loooot less tedious though, especially due to the lack of any limitating factors beyond "I want to play" beyond Daily Runes being 1/day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

I also don't want to have to reroll fifty times to get the best team. What are daily runes and how do they limit gameplay?

Also how's the Mario PAD?

Daily Runes are things you get from your character's dad. Once/day they let you go into a special dungeon which is elemental themed and has multiple difficulty levels. (A different element every day.) This is one of the easier ways to get high-level monster eggs and monster chips. You don't have to reroll anything.

The Mario PAD is a little better and a little worse. It's more poorly balanced in both positive and negative ways. (Easier to spam skills, but enemies can be cheaper). It feels like a secondary effort compared to the main P&DZ game to me but YMMV.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BoI barely runs on the Vita. It's gonna be un-fuckin'-playable on the 3DS.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

Though with Xenoblade you'll just become over-leveled if you're insane enough to try to do all the dumb fetchquests in a given area.

You become overleveled by breathing in Xenoblade basically. It's kind of frustrating to a degree since level variation in Xenoblade matters so drat much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm having a weird problem with my 3DS. When I put it into sleep mode it doesn't wake up sometimes.

The odd thing is that it only does this when a game is running and only with certain games. (Xenoblade Chronicles is the big one at the moment.) Any idea why that might be? I can fix it by holding the power button down but it's pretty annoying to have to do that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The other games aren't Smash and Codename STEAM, are they? Those are the ones that shut down the OS, maybe there's a connection.

Nope. The other one was actually Mercenary Knights 2 which I picked up because I desperately wanted a JRPG.

Oddly I seem to have found the solution: turning off wi-fi fixes it. Which is annoying but not the end of the world at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

raditts posted:

Maybe, but it seemed at least more dynamic than the whole rock-paper-scissors push butan thing that Pokemon has had going on for the last 20 years.

Pokemon actually has a lot of complex interplay of mechanics. If you end up trying to just go "my attack is fire so it will beat every ice Pokemon" you'll get your rear end kicked. The story mode doesn't really require them but you're kidding if you think Yokai Watch's will either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hadji murad posted:

Yokai Watch's target demographic is 6 year old kids so the goon overlap should be huge

Let's just assume someone made the mod joke and move on, shall we?

Quest For Glory II posted:

I like the goofy wheel battle system, it seems up-tempo, the only real problem is it's a Level 5 game so the combat will get really tiresome halfway through

It's a fast-paced system but even more simplistic at its core than Pokemon's, let alone Pokemon when you get into the absurd competitive stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The trick to Xenoblade is to just straight-up ignore sidequests. Talk to anyone with a ! over their name. Accept every sidequest. Ignore them and just play the game. You'll complete some just by doing the game and the rest are worthless. There are a handful of exceptions but they're either optional (extra skill trees which shouldn't be hidden around dumb sidequests but are not critical to have) or blatantly pointed out to you (the portable reactor.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

Yeah, I am sure the fact that everyone makes it a mystery to prevent spoilers has resulted in more people figuring it out.

It's also absurdly predictable so I'm not sure why people act like it's a twist.

I feel like half the people who are really all-in on Xenoblade's plot are people who never saw a mecha show before and so don't realize it's basically a giant bolted-together collection of cliches held together by British voice acting and so have convinced themselves it is distinctive and unique. Which is hilariously exactly what happened with Xenogears too!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Healbot posted:

I don't remember there being a whole lot of Brits talking in Xenogears.

You're right, Xenogears is held together by terrible voice acting instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

For Xenoblade is there a basic guide of character builds anywhere?

Basically this:

Shulk: You can't screw him up. Focus on Back Slash and Monado abilities. He is literally impossible to screw up and designed that way.

Reyn: Tank. Tanky tank tank. Build him tanky. Focus on his aggro-drawing skills. Give him aggro-drawing gems. Enemies should be beating on him instead of another else.

Dunban: Dodge-Tank. Focus on Peerless, Serene Grace, Gale Slash, mix from there. When you get his AoE attack make it a mainstay. Give him agility/aggro gems OR strip his armor and go Naked if you max his leftmost skill tree. The latter is fun in that you don't need armor but you're probably better off with armor + gems.

Melia: Focus on her DoT skills. Earth, Ice and FIre are all great. Earth is the hardest hitting but has the longest cooldown. Bolt is very good but will drag aggro like crazy. Use it sparingly or as part of chain attacks. (Save Earth for x4 or x5 on chain attacks. Your poison damage stacks absurdly.). Give her Ether Up and Arts Aggro Down gems. Do not use Melia unless you plan to control her. Her AI is incapable of using her skills properly.

Riki: Riki can be built a billion ways but generally it's fine to focus on his Ether Arts. Level up Porison, Freeze, Burn, Paralyze, his heal, Hero TIme and balance from there. I like going for the attack that does more damage the more debuffs the enemy has (You'll be Sorry) which is great for chain attacks. Focus on DoT-buffing gems and Ether up.

Sharla: Bench her. Or if you insist on using her, focus on her healing and buffing. The thing to keep in mind is that she exchanges damage for healing. This results in battles taking longer and thus requiring more healing. It's a viscous circle. You can kind of build her damage-y but she'll be less effective than anyone else. Only pull her out if you absolutely can't beat a boss and just want to slowly heal-tank your way through.

The last character: You can kind of build her as a support character but the wiser thing to do is to go all-in on her absurd autoattack DPS. Get her fourth skill tree (A few sidequests in the village right after she joins, one of the easiest to get) and focus primarily on her buffs: Lock-On, Speed Shift, Healing Field. Final Cross once you get it is great for toppling and her verison of Back Slash and her x3 damage to topple attacks are solid for Chain Attacks. Give her Double Attack and Haste gems.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

What does DoT mean?

Sorry to be unclear.

DoT is "Damage Over Time." It's effects that do damage over a period of time instead of one large chunk (usually called burst.) In this case it refers to Ice (chill), Earth (Poison) and Fire (Blaze.)

Due to the way gems interact with DoT effects in Xenoblade they are absurdly powerful, especially if you link them to a chain attack. The way their damage scales means that a chain-attacked Poison is doing absurd amounts of damage per second.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

Ok, cool, I've been building my characters as recommended in that case. Another question: where do you get Advanced Art Manuals? I found Summon Bolt by accident in the High Entia Tomb but I haven't seen any of the other ones.

Advanced Art Manuals largely are dropped by late-game enemies. Late-game regular enemies will drop with a fairly low percentage chance while optional boss-type enemies have a much higher chance of dropping. Once you get around the point you get the last character you'll probably start encountering them dropping randomly just via regular fights but you may have to grind if you're looking for a specific one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

You're a good person.

EDIT: If I'm early on in the game (just started rebuilding colony 6), is it worthwhile to just use Shulk Reyn and Dunbar?

Shulk/Reyn/Dunban is completely valid but perhaps a bit slow. Dunban and Reyn kind of share an overlapping tank role so you end up with a team that can draw aggro like woah but is largely depending on Shulk for its big ticket damage. It's totally something you can use if you like the characters but I'd swap out either Reyn or Dunban for another character once you get more. (I tend to favor Dunban but both have their strengths.)

One thing I'll mention is that it is completely viable to remove Shulk from your party. You'll have to figure out other ways to deal with Talent Arts (usually by aggroing them onto Reyn/Dunban) but Shulk isn't mandatory even if the Monodo is a very strong tool. You'll get access to weapons that can hurt the Mechon without Enchantment right before the next major Mechon area IIRC. There's nothing wrong with keeping Shulk in the party, he's very strong, just don't feel like you have to have him if you'd rather switch things up.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 22, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Edit: If you're going to use both Reyn and Dunban, you might consider controlling one of them and making the AI be the aggro tank with the other.

If you do this I honestly recommend doing Dunban. Reyn's AI is probably one of the most directly effective at doing what the character needs to do while with Dunban you instead get more manual control over how he chains his Gale Strike attacks and what buffs he uses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

I had no idea you could A) remove shulk or B) control someone besides from shulk.

Yep. Whoever is in your first slot can be controlled. There is no point (aside from a few mandatory plot segments where no fighting occurs IIRC) where Shulk is mandatory after you get 4 party members. It's really worth trying other characters because Shulk honestly has one of the most boring kits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Something I never quite understood but on the skill tree in xenoblade are all skills activated no matter what or only the branch you highlight? I went ahead and maxed all of them for shits and giggles but had no clue if it was actually doing anything.

Each branch has an equipped skill (what you have when it is equipped) and then sub-skills. All sub skills are active no matter what.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terper posted:

Reyn can actually be pretty effective, and I'd say he's better later in the game, if you shift focus from him absorbing as much damage possible, to do as much damage as possible. He's capable of some crazy burst damage with the right setup, and since cooldowns are reset when battles end, his long downtime gets better, and really he'll always be able to take a hit. And really Dunban is the better tank of the two.

I don't think I've ever done, or for that matter seen, a setup that has Melia focus entirely on damage over time. I've only ever seen the Bolt setup with crazy Ether Up and Lightning+ stacking. I suppose it would work well on bosses, especially together with Riki filling the Chain Gauge, but most normal battles are over so quickly it seems better to focus on burst for those.

Melia DoT damage is absurd and it has the advantage of drawing less aggro which is basically essential for her not to die instantly in later fight. You really have to take advantage of chain attacks for maximum effectiveness but considering that Melia has almost nothing but Talent Arts for her attacks that means it is trivial to set up absurd chain combos with her. I mean at minimum she gets three Whites in a single chain, it's crazy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

I'm going to have to stop you here and say that I played as Sharla for like 30 hours of the game and it's both fun and viable. Although, if you're not playing her she is kinda bad, I'd say she has some of the worst AI in the game. She barely knows how to heal effectively (often just tossing them out randomly and then being cooldown-screwed when you really need it) and will seldom do any kind of reasonable damage. So if the idea of playing the healer doesn't excite you feel free to bench.

And of course, Xenoblade isn't such a hard game to require optimized party composition anyway.

She's viable and obviously fun is subjective but Sharla does straight-up increase the time battles take even when controlling her. She also has the real significant problem of being absolutely the worst character in the game for chain attacks which means that any team with her on it is going to have significantly reduced damage output even if Sharla had better damage output by default.

Like I said above, she can win you any battle, it just means the fights are slower and less intense because even with bad AI she has extremely strong surviability boosting. The game actually has way more intense battles if you don't have 4 forms of on-demand healing and instead have to focus on proper aggro management. My understanding is that Xenoblade Chronicles X actually revamped healing entirely so the developers at least seem aware of the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

Why is that? What attacks should I use as Melia?

Melia's problem is that her AI is really bad about managing her skillset.

Melia's gimmick is that she has Summons for various elements. When summoned they provide a passive buff. You can then discharge the summon for a powerful attack. However her AI is extremely bad about juggling buffs, using them at the right time, and is very bad about managing aggro. Since Melia is the glass cannon if you leave her in AI hands she'll tend to draw absurd amounts of aggro and get stomped hard. Alternately she'll sit on her buffs and not attack even when she should. On the other hand in player hands she can wreck face because a player can choose the right abilities to use.

In terms of her abilities: Summons are discharged in the order of the last one summoned. Keep this in mind for chains.

Summon Earth - Probably her best spell. It gives a Defense Up aura when summoned and triggers Poison when discharged. Her poison damage is very high and goes even higher with Gems. However it has a relatively long cooldown. In boss fights you want to keep it up as a buff and then use Summon Copy to make a copy of it to inflict poison on enemy. When chaining make sure that Summon Earth is second or third on your list. (Second is most reliable.) This will scale the Poison damage hilariously and can allow you to wreck many high-level superbosses. against regular enemies just discharge it, stacking DoTs on regular mooks is more useful than saving for chains.

Summon Ice - Gives Ether Defense Up. Discharges for a AoE-on-caster ice burst that inflicts Chill. Very useful, high damage and with a good cooldown. Benefits from Chill Up gems. A great basic attack spell.

Summon Flare - Gives Strength Up. Discharges as an AoE-on-target fire burst that inflicts Blaze. Also extremely good.

Summon Bolt - Gives Ether Up. Discharges as a single burst on target. Extremely strong and with an absurdly short cooldown but it draws aggro like crazy. If you have a lot of Art Stealth or aggro control you can make this into ridiculous damage but it is probably her riskiest attack.

Summon Wind - Agility Up, AoE attack. A really good buff but lacks the absurd DoT power of the other AoEs.

Summon Copy- A free recast of the last summon you used on a separate cooldown. Use for high-cooldown stuff like Summon Earth or just to spam attacks.

Spear Break/Starlight Kick: A free no-break Topple which is extremely powerful but uses up two skill slots. Only real useful if you want to keep enemies Topple-locked but can be effective.

Reflection - Reflects non-Talent arts. Useful if you're using her in a team without Shulk or have trouble managing aggro.

Shadow Stitch - Binds enemies in an AoE for a long time. VERY powerful. You can abuse the hell out of this if you're willing to do a lot of aggro juggling. Mostly useful for high-end bosses but not to be understimated.

Burst End - Only usable when Talent Gauge is maxed out. Debuffs enemy defenses. Excellent overall.

Mind Blast - Only usable when Taletn Gauge is mxaed out. Huge damage, removes Aura, inflicts art seal on enemy. If you're going for a Shulkless team this is invaluable.

Hypnotize - Puts an enemy to sleep. Sometimes useful if you need extra control.

Her other skills are meh. I tended to run Earth/Ice/Fire/Copy and Stitch/Burst/Mind/Reflect, sometimes substituting Hypnosis or Bolt for flavor.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 22, 2015