Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

noirstronaut posted:

They will have to answer to the wrath of all of my Club Nintendo surveys demanding the regular 3DS be brought to America.

That's why they shut Club Nintendo. Those bastards knew all along that we wouldn't stand for this :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think it's a frame-and-lens thing, I get rather better results if I wear my old frameless glasses as opposed to my current red ones, but it works perfectly if I have no glasses on at all.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

RadicalR posted:

Xenoblades is up. Currently downloading.

More like eternally downloading. Cramming all four gigs of Xenoblade through the n3DS wireless is like trying to drink Lake Erie with a straw.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Really? I'm looking at another 3 1/2 hours.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there anything wrong with doing all the side quests? I pretty much 100%ed DAI and enjoyed it, except for the extremely bad ending that made everything seem like a waste of time.

I usually enjoy clearing towns of quests before moving on but I have seen people say just go with the plot except colony 6.

1) There is a metric fuckton of side quests, and if you try to do all of them you will likely burn out quickly.

2) Doing quests is a good way to build affinity between characters, so you might not want to clear them all out until you have a bigger cast.

3) Character level is the biggest factor in combat difficulty, so if you do all the side quests you'll probably overlevel and steamroll everything.

Basically do quests until you don't want to anymore. There's a few that are cut off after certain plot events, and they're all indicated with a little clock symbol. Maybe do all those.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So Xenoblade advice I like Reyn. He's a nice guy. Holy poo poo though Dunban is a million times cooler, I want him on my team but it feels like Reyn and Sharla were meant to be paired up with Shulk. Would I be losing too much if I bench Reyn?

First of all- Reyn and Dunban cover similar niches, one tanks by being a slab of HP, the other tanks by being untouchable. On the other hand, Keeping a dedicated healer around is by no means necessary. For example, if you kill everything all the time you aren't taking enough damage to need healing. There's also abilities that heal you during Chain Attacks, and the like. Take whoever you want, I am pretty sure they're all viable.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm guessing the marsh. Keep in mind that there are different monsters whether it's day or night, so if you mess with the clock you might find a configuration that's less of a hassle.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Why not just reinsert your old The World Ends With You cart, it's not like you had any conceivable reason to get rid of it?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It believe it was fixing a problem with the music, it mentioned something about the music arbitrarily switching to mono.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think you just go to the item menu, select a collectable, and you get the 'gift' option. Then pick a giver and recipient. There's a massive chart of who likes what and by how much, but as a general rule Riki and Dunban love bugs, Shulk likes mechanical doodads, and I think Sharla generally likes fruit. Also Melia loves Dobercorgis.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Kinky Cookie Bunny posted:

Okay, thank you. That's basically what I wanted to know, if it'd satisfy the same itch that RF4 did and if it's not as good as RF4 then I guess I'll just wait for a new RF game, though I still haven't even completed RF4 yet since I am having trouble getting the third story to trigger.

Do any of you know anything at all about the harvest moon lost valley game? I'm just curious about it now.

So, uh, about waiting for the next Rune Factory, *cough*

Also we have a Harvest Moon/Rune Factory thread over yonder, they should be able to answer most of your questions.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also, a sequel to Picross 3D. And maybe another Picross DS. The downloadables by Jupiter are insufficient!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I have eyeball problems and the glasses I need to enjoy 3D (and anything else sight-related :v:) screw up the head tracking for super-stable 3D :( Even then my depth perception is pretty wonky and 3D effects in general are pretty hit-or-miss for me.
I also can't use Magic Eyes, they look... "inverted" to me, with the background popping out and the object sinking inward. poo poo's freaky.
Generally I leave 3D off for better battery life.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
While I do think it's one of the shorter Zelda titles, at least part of its because they carved out all the bull that plagues Zelda plots these days. None of this "goat-herding" or "bird-ceremony" stuff, you are immediately given both a sword and target. Also game length is relative, because I made the mistake of looking at my play records and I have something like 600 hours across my top five games. Pokemon Black, Pokemon Black 2, Xenoblade, Rune Factory 4, Ocarina of Time, for the record.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So I bought a New 3ds because I developed a weird hankering for some jrpg type games after playing Stick of Truth. Can anyone recommend some games for someone who hasn't played a jrpg since..uh...Final Fantasy 9?

There's also the entire original DS library open to you, so you have access to The World Ends With You, Bowser's Inside Story, Dragon Quest 4 - 6 and 9, various Mystery Dungeon games, Devil Survivor, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Etrian Odyssey, Radiant Historia, and a bunch of other stuff I can't immediately recall.

Also play Ghost Trick. It isn't an RPG but you owe it to yourself, as a human being, to play Ghost Trick.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I figured it was because some people can't deal with the controls and/or wrist strain, and they're upset enough already, no need to tell them that they're missing one if the best 3DS titles ever.
I had one of the plastic stand that came with Kid Icarus but I can't find it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't know what was wrong with your DS's, but I distinctly recall closing the lid halfway through a round of Tetris DS, leaving the system in my purse for three days, and then finishing the round of Tetris afterwards.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Keeping wireless on might be a factor, I have mine off at all times because I'm basically in a Streetpass desert.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
While we're at it let Platinum borrow back the Okami licence forever a while. Imagine Okami graphics on a modern console. Be still my heart.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

hadji murad posted:

how do I play rocket slime on a 3Ds

It's a DS game, so just, uh, put it in the system and turn it on?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

5er posted:

If progress in this game is rewarded with incredible/terrible puns, this is what I'm playing next.

It's less the reward and more the fundamental state of being.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I will say that I liked all the dumb sidequests in Xenoblade because I ended up caring about the NPCs and all of their ridiculous personal drama. shout out to the Nopon Drug Ring. That was incredible.

Edit: Also, for Majora's Mask, rolling as Goron Link has way better control in the 3DS version.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You may have just put your finger on one of Xenoblade's flaws. You'll know if it was a quest monster or not after you kill it because you'll get a quest notification thingy but otherwise you're basically running up and down the countryside and punching things until you find the right one.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If it keeps up you might want to reinstall it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
When you're crafting gems, if you get 100% of an attribute, you get a gem, and the higher the percentage the stronger the Gem. At 200% you get 'Heat' and your gem goes up a rank. At 300% you get Mega-Heat, so now you get two gems at the highest quality possible, still at the higher rank. It's not worth aiming for until late in the game, but there are a few ways to pull it off and you can get some crazy poo poo.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Seven has a skill that raises their tension by one stage every time their Talent Art activates, and it is absurd if you link it to Melia.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Rune Factory 4 has you punch a unicorn so hard it turns into a dude. Then the unicorn respawns, so you can bring the guy back and he'll beat himself up.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Fritzler posted:

Hey, I'm playing Xenoblade and this has been helpful. Can someone give me a little guide on linking skills and skill trees? I.e. if I link a skill for Dunban with someone who isn't in the active party (say Reyn if he's benched), does he still get the benefit? I haven't linked any skills, I don't know how this works. I also just got my 4th party member, do skills keep unlocking if people are benched?

Also I am totally making Dunban naked.

Benched characters get 90% of the EXP/AP/SP that the active party gets, so they'll still be getting skills. In your example, yes Dunban will still benefit from the linked skill even if Reyn is out of the active party. You can unlink skills at any time so don't be afraid to experiment, you'd get the coins back. Shulk and I think Reyn both have a bunch of skills that heal after a chain attack, or heal whenever you encourage a party member, so those are good ones to share. Skill links are part of why it's important to rotate the party regularly, people on the bench don't get affinity so if you leave them in there too long they end up with no friends and no skill links.
You should link everyone Reyn's heavy armour skill because heavy armour on everyone looks either amazing or amazingly dumb. When in doubt, give people stuff that boosts agility. Everyone loves to have more agility.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It may will almost certainly take more than 40 hours, the plot has three major 'arcs' and the third one needs some hidden conditions to unlock and even then is subject to the whims of the RNG. And then you find out you're still underlevelled and get your rear end kicked.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Turn-based JRPGs? Endless grinding? The original 3DS? Doesn't give a poo poo about the story?? My friend, have you introduced your brother to the magic known as Dragon Quest? 4, 5, 6, and 9 are all on the DS, and 8 may or may not be coming to NA for the 3DS eventually. There is also Final Fantasy Tactics A2 on the DS, if you want a slightly more strategic bent.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You say "tide you over" but Xenoblade and Rune Factory 4 is probably a good 100 hours right there. Or if you're bonkers like I am, 150 hours, each. I have a problem. Send help.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There is also byzantine, obtuse and occasionally infuriating equipment crafting.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Fix posted:

I will have to look into those. What about Roy?

I'm pretty sure he's from one of the Japan-only Fire Emblems, and it's a GBA game, so good luck with that one.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Picross 3D 2, motherfuckers! HAL-developed, and there's an Amiibo logo on the website... Out in Japan on October 1: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/bbpj/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNunPyEhQv8

Holy poo poo yes. I always hoped this day would come.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Volume posted:

another xenoblade chronicles question: Is there any reason to not run around with my favorite 3 person team all the time? Is there gonna be a section where the party is torn apart and I'm forced to run around with the poo poo tier members of the group that will be under leveled and under equipped?

Use who you want, there are a few brief sequences of party shuffling, but enemies more or less poo poo equipment and nearly every boss fight starts by going "do you want this party configuration y/n" and on top of that, benched characters still get something like 90% EXP/AP/SP so just check back on them once in a while to level their arts and crap.

There is one good reason to mix it up- having high affinity between characters opens up more skill links and you want skill links

If you have a reliable way to damage robots (Shulk or Topple) you're probably good to go.

(But seriously you should play as all your party members in case someone you ignored for thirty hours turns out to be amazing. Because I certainly did no such thing.)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Volume posted:

Riki was actually the one that convinced me that there's no reason to play with any one other than Shulk, Dunban and Reyn. Melia and Sharla are tolerable but I wish I could kick Riki out of the party for good

This is the wrongest post I've ever read.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Melia / Dunban / Riki is a party that basically beats the poo poo out of everthing.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Can you back up your save to the SD card?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The only thing I care about with Project Diva is whether or not it has the dancing alpaca song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I was having a good time until my connection bit it. I'm assuming someone here is SAmarryl? (But seriously, how do you tackle the Bomb Storage assholes?)