Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Saoshyant posted:

Bunch of Dragon Quest XI screenshots for your viewing pleasure. Viewing is all you will get when it comes to Square Enix, so enjoy!

Oh that's really loving cool -- the PS4 version is gorgeous but I had assumed the 3DS one would just be a bad low-res jaggy port of it; instead it also looks awesome just in a completely different way. Square makes some pretty bad, disappointing decisions sometimes, but when they're on their game, they're on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

goferchan posted:

Oh that's really loving cool -- the PS4 version is gorgeous but I had assumed the 3DS one would just be a bad low-res jaggy port of it; instead it also looks awesome just in a completely different way. Square makes some pretty bad, disappointing decisions sometimes, but when they're on their game, they're on it.

Yeah, now I really wish they'd do this 2D and 3D style for other games too.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So I decided to pick Bravely Default back up after like a 6-month hiatus, and I finally got to That Part. Is there a point where the asterisk bosses' dialogue stops varying between iterations? I'm finally starting to tire of grinding and kinda just want to get the game over with, but I also enjoy seeing the little differences like the white mage and the monk playing dead then running off to gently caress after you leave.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

raditts posted:

So I decided to pick Bravely Default back up after like a 6-month hiatus, and I finally got to That Part. Is there a point where the asterisk bosses' dialogue stops varying between iterations? I'm finally starting to tire of grinding and kinda just want to get the game over with, but I also enjoy seeing the little differences like the white mage and the monk playing dead then running off to gently caress after you leave.

Gameplay spoilers for rest of the game:

Chapter 6 is almost the same as chapter 5 for most bosses, but the Valkyrie, Summoner and Ranger boss fights experience a significant change (they're not initially available, for one thing.) Be sure to go find Yulyana in Chapter 6 at some point, as it starts a sidequest for the last Job Asterisk (I assume you've gotten the Vampire Asterisk already.)

Chapter 6 is also considered to be the 'standard' point to go get the Normal Ending. Continuing afterwards just drops you off back before the Point of No Return, so don't worry about saving yourself out of anything.

Chapter 7 onwards seriously mixes things up, and I think you should experience it for yourself then.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

raditts posted:

In Eternia, there is a Gossipmonger who tells you about Braev, Kamiizumi, and Mahzer's history. Afterwards, talk to Mahzer in the hospital for more info about it. Then, release the Fire Crystal, then challenge Kamiizumi. I am unsure if you have to do the first two things in Chapter 5 and Chapter 6, so if you didn't, ya might miss out.

Otherwise, it's as Pureauthor said. The final sidequest becomes available when you have released three crystals.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

The remakes of 7 + 8, that's about it though for mainline games. A shitload of spin off's never got localised though.

Dragon Quest 7 is really bad, you're not missing much

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Looper posted:

What the.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The original was bad, but the remake's great.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Finished Fire Emblem Awakening tonight (insofar as 30-some odd hours can be considered finishing this game). That was fantastic through and through. I had never played an FE game before. Which game had Ike in it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looper posted:

I have, played and burned out on the PS1 version many years ago.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fix posted:

Finished Fire Emblem Awakening tonight (insofar as 30-some odd hours can be considered finishing this game). That was fantastic through and through. I had never played an FE game before. Which game had Ike in it?

Ike was the poster character from Path of Radiance for Gamecube and Radiant Dawn for Wii.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 14, 2015

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I will have to look into those. What about Roy?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Fix posted:

They cost like 90 bucks each

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fix posted:

Please don't play Roy's game

It's one of the absolute worst in the series and Roy is the worst lord

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Fix posted:

I'm pretty sure he's from one of the Japan-only Fire Emblems, and it's a GBA game, so good luck with that one.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

YggiDee posted:

I'm pretty sure he's from one of the Japan-only Fire Emblems, and it's a GBA game, so good luck with that one.

Yeah, it's FE6/Sealed Sword. It's Not Very Good.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You're not very good.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess you could play the one with Eliwood and just pretend he's Roy since they basically look identical

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah, it's FE6/Sealed Sword. It's Not Very Good.

Counter opinion: Fire Emblem: Binding Blade is a Pretty Good game, especially if Awakening is your first FE title. It's not perfect, but FE7 makes you play a lame tutorial and an entire campaign until you can start the real game (Eliwood Hard) so eh.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
FE6 is not a bad game but it is an obvious prototype for FE7 and it's clear they haven't worked out all the kinks of handheld design, especially since they're coming off FE4 and FE5. Honestly if you're coming off of Awakening I would suggest FE8 (Sacred Stones), it's the closest in design to 13 and if you like it, go for 7 (Fire Emblem) or 9 (Path of Radiance) afterwards.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just picked up my New 3DS a few days ago. Managed to find one of the Majora's Mask editions for a not totally insane price on eBay, the case is really loving gorgeous. One of the prettier systems I've ever owned for sure.

I know not all games benefit from the extra power of the N3DS, but should load times be better at the very least across the board? Or is that dependent on the game as well?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

6 is fine but i wouldn't recommend someone who just started the series to go back to the japan only games right away

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

PantsBandit posted:

Just picked up my New 3DS a few days ago. Managed to find one of the Majora's Mask editions for a not totally insane price on eBay, the case is really loving gorgeous. One of the prettier systems I've ever owned for sure.

I know not all games benefit from the extra power of the N3DS, but should load times be better at the very least across the board? Or is that dependent on the game as well?

Only for games that are built to take advantage of it like Smash Bros.

And I'm kinda thinking about trading my MM XL for a black one. Mostly because I'm not like a die hard Zelda fan and everything else I own is black.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

They cost like 90 bucks each

Path of Radiance is like $200

I'd go for FE7, which is just called Fire Emblem, since it's available on the Wii U eshop. FE8 (Sacred Stones) might be as well but I'm not sure. FE7 is also one of the best games in the series. Skip Shadow Dragon (the DS game).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Speaking SRPGs, did anyone end up liking Lords of Magna?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

noirstronaut posted:

And I'm kinda thinking about trading my MM XL for a black one. Mostly because I'm not like a die hard Zelda fan and everything else I own is black.

Don't trade it man, you can get way more by reselling and you can keep it out of a scalper's grubby little fingers.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Speaking SRPGs, did anyone end up liking Lords of Magna?

No, it's bad and obviously unfinished.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FE6's map design is a bit bland but it's still better than Awakening's, and it's one of the best games in the series in terms of unit balance. Characters actually have like, flaws and poo poo. It's great.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Sakurazuka posted:

No, it's bad and obviously unfinished.

It looked that way but there's usually someone who buys them anyway and patiently explains why they maybe don't suck, but I haven't seen anyone say anything good about this one.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pureauthor posted:

Gameplay spoilers for rest of the game:

Chapter 6 is almost the same as chapter 5 for most bosses, but the Valkyrie, Summoner and Ranger boss fights experience a significant change (they're not initially available, for one thing.) Be sure to go find Yulyana in Chapter 6 at some point, as it starts a sidequest for the last Job Asterisk (I assume you've gotten the Vampire Asterisk already.)

Is that the part where Yulyana sends me to fight Alternis and Braev but they don't die when I beat them? I think I'm in the middle of that part. I broke the first crystal and apparently that triggered the dialogue flags to make everyone think the others were revived.

noirstronaut posted:

I just got a black one, got the gold backplate from the Nintendo Store when they were still selling them, and got a triforce decal from the front. I think it looks better because I have no attachment to Majora's Mask and felt it was a pretty garbage game overall.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 14, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

raditts posted:

Is that the part where Yulyana sends me to fight Alternis and Braev but they don't die when I beat them? I think I'm in the middle of that part. I broke the first crystal and apparently that triggered the dialogue flags to make everyone think the others were revived.
Yes, but just to be clear you don't mean Alternis and Braev at the same time, right? I don't think that is a thing that happens in chapter 6 anyway.

Chapter 6 is fairly interesting with regards to asterisk banter, and chapter 7 has some really great development for them as well so I really rather like those two chapters overall. It's 5 that's boring padding and 8 where you should probably just beat the game first and then go and fight more asterisks if you feel like it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

5er posted:

Jeanne D'Arc was unexpectedly fun, and Tactics Ogre is the sequel that FFT never got.

Isn't FFT technically the sequel that Tactics Ogre sort of got?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah, Tactics Ogre came first. FFT was the game Matsuno made directly after LUCT.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

goferchan posted:

It could also be that people still religiously love and give a poo poo about Dragon Quest to not gently caress it up, no matter what shape it takes.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Fix posted:

Roy:

Fire Emblem 1-5 - Never released in US
Fire Emblem 6 - GBA game - stars Roy, never localized to the States, also not a very good game
Fire Emblem 7 - GBA game - On Wii U VC as simply Fire Emblem. Really good game. It is a prequel to Fire Emblem 6. I think it's really great, and one of the main characters is Roy's Dad.
Fire Emblem 8 - GBA Game - On Wii U VC as Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones. OK. Really easy, but if you want to steam roll through stuff enjoy it I guess

Fire Emblem 9 - Gamecube game - Ike's first game - Good, but insanely expensive in NA
Fire Emblem 10 - Wii game - Ike's second game - Good, not as good as 9, expensive but not as expensive in NA (I'm really hoping for this to be released on Wii games for Wii U)

Fire Emblem 11: Shadow Dragon - DS game - Remake of old Fire Emblem starring Marth. Not Great.
Fire Emblem 12 - DS Game also remake of old Fire Emblem starring Marth. Supposed to be really good, but never came to the states, I've never played it
Fire Emblem 13 - Awakening. The game you played.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think people poo poo on Sacred Stones too much, especially compared to 6. Its only real fault is that it's relatively short at first, but it has a branching path for about 10 chapters, so there's replay in new settings. Also has an actual post-game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the branching path in fe8 only lasts 5 maps. That said the later maps do change slightly based on the route you're on. That said it's still a pretty boring game because none of the units are that interesting to use.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I legitimately like it. I think a lot of people don't which is why I only put OK.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sacred Stones is a good game. It's just not as good as the games around it and it's too easy. I wish Awakening had a post game dungeon like FE8 did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Sacred Stones is a good game. It's just not as good as the games around it and it's too easy. I wish Awakening had a post game dungeon like FE8 did.

Awakening had a lot of post game content, you just had to pay for most of it