Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
That's just sad. Who even buys non-perforated graph paper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

I'd say you should check out the Ghost Trick port then because that's a way better port, but that doesn't work on iOS8 so that's out.

What are you talking about? It worked perfectly well on ios8 a few months ago. I mean, you don't get the same fun of jabbing a stylus into your screen to frantically switch to trick mode, but it worked just fine.

Also yes play ghost trick it's fun.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Color Printer posted:

I cannot wait to play a whole bunch of bootleg poo poo on my 3DS

Nothing sounds more hellish than typing in code from scans of old magazines onto a 3" touchscreen keyboard with a stylus. Except maybe doing that on a palm pilot. Maybe.

But this is pretty neat.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I did a spin attack while being thrown and landed on a pillar. Awesome!

Also, figuring out the bomb factory's boss isn't the problem, the problem is managing to do that without getting your rear end blown up.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

It is very important not to disrupt the flow of someone asking how to play xenogear again.

HenryEx posted:

It will never not be time-consuming, because you need to do all the setup and installing and so on though the 3DS' crypto engine and its SD writing speed sucks balls.

It's time consuming, but most of the trouble was from the guides not being terribly helpful or clear. Without all the loving around I had to do, it probably only takes about an hour, tops.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Is there a working PS1 emulator?

Beats me, I have an old 3ds. Also not enough buttons.

And the true and just ps1 emulation experience is Connectix Virtual Game Station on your power macintosh anyway.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:shrug: after like four years or so there are maybe some tiny marks on the top screen of my xl. They're also entirely unnoticeable unless the screen is off, and I cannot possibly understand why you would be looking at a 3ds that has been switched off.

It's a relatively inexpensive game system made for children, it isn't going to turn to dust if you don't cover it in skins and protective cases and screen protectors. Also, TWEWY aside, you probably aren't going to carve gouges into the bottom screen unless you have absolutely no control over how much pressure you use with pens. That's like insisting people stock up on thumbsticks because certain people can't not snap them off like some sort of monster.

Saoshyant posted:

You forgot to link it.

Also this. It's gotta be at least half as amusing as the egg guy.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Wonder how long it'll take for the controllers to no longer securely snap into the tablet.

Probably not too terribly long.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Housh posted:

Nintendo products are military grade Fisher-price

This is less true if it is a moving part. Like n64 thumbsticks, or hinges.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I wonder what exciting direction "free-to-start messaging application" will go in.

Exciting.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Says you can play it after Case 1, so I'm assuming it's like PW5 where the DLC is completely separate from the main game.

I just looked, the alternate costumes are $1.49, so not free.

Also, between the costumes and the extra case are two "theatre mode" DLC's, and I'm wondering what the heck those are?

They're mini joke courtroom sequences. There's no investigation or anything, and they're properly absurd. They're just for some quick fun.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Lord Wexia posted:

I haven't played a Pokemon game since Gold on GBA and I will be getting Ultra Sun on Friday since I bought one of those 2DS XLs this summer.

What should I know about Pokemon in 2017?

Once you've fought something, the UI'll indicate if a move's super-effective or not effective, so you don't have to memorize type information for a billion pokemon or anything. It's real nice.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Turbinosamente posted:

Yeah that's the thing right there, I've never had any desire to play Harvest Moon or Stardew Valley. I guess I prefer my life sims to be more of the Animal Crossing variety. To be honest I bought it because I thought the dungeons would balance out the farming. I've tried looking at reviews but nobody really discusses if the dungeon exploring is good, most just say "best Rune Factory Evaaar !!!!11!!" and don't really explain why.

The dungeons are mostly straightforward and there's plenty of stuff to hit. I like it well enough, and I never managed to get anywhere in a harvest moon or anything. The farming is more like a couple minutes of running around and picking poo poo up, and it's all [mostly] neatly contained in your basement.

Personally, I find it to be a bit like running around town looking for stuff to dig up in new leaf. It's a daily task that's pretty quickly taken care of and then you can get back to running around and hitting chickens with a spear.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Please link that when you can.

I tried hacking a DSi for this purpose but it didn't seem to work out and I haven't had time lately to mess with it to see what went wrong.

TWiLight Menu++(gbatemp link) is the latest one, I think that's what I have on my 3ds, rather than the older twloader. It works well enough, but I still make sure I don't have a cart in when I use it, just in case it tries to save to the cart's memory. That might not still be an issue, I haven't looked in a while (or updated it in ages).

The instructions are pretty straightforward, at least if you have cfw setup, but I have no idea about doing it on a DSi.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Fly Ricky posted:

I just realized that there are translation patches for both of the Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Naruhodō Ryūnosuke no Bōken games. What a dream come true. I haven’t found either of them in the wild yet, but I’m almost bursting at the possibility of two “new” games in the series.

Has anyone played them? Where do they rank relative to the others?

Well, last I checked the translation for the second one's only like 3/5 done, so I'm leaving that until they've finished. But I have played the first one, it's pretty solid; I don't think I ever found any point where I felt something was missing in translation. There may have been one point where some bit of evidence didn't seem to fit in where it needed to be presented, but I don't quite remember what the problem was. At the very least, they didn't go overboard and turn the thing into a Dickens novel, although it is plainly british-flavoured.

I don't really have any real ranking in mind, so I can't quite help you with that. Instead I'll say: the cases were pretty interesting and reasonably well-grounded (nothing like, say, a yokai village outside LA) in the time/place they're meant to be; characters were interesting enough; and I thought the gimmicks were pretty well-done. If I had a ranking, I'd put it pretty high up on the list. Although I think part of that is that this doesn't have all the plot weighing it down the way the latest few games have, since it's set so far before those games (and in another country). I think not having to fit a million strangely-shaped puzzle pieces together helped a lot to strengthen the writing. It's very solid, but it was also rather plainly written with a sequel in mind, so I hope having things dangling over your head doesn't bother you too terribly much.

As for the gimmicks, I think I'll pop this in spoiler bars just to be safe:

The Holmes bits feel a bit like a more refined version of the edgeworth logic/debate bits in the Investigations games, and the music and animations are delightful. The courtroom gimmick's probably the bigger deal, with the multiple witnesses/jurors you have to keep an eye on. It works out very well, and there are some superb animations involved in that.
There is one annoying bit towards the end involving stereoscopic vision, because it doesn't really use the 3d to do so, and you get the game asking you to cross your eyes — but I believe you can just ignore those prompts, it'll take pity on you and either actually merge the images so they work with the 3d, or otherwise show you what you're meant to see.

The animation work is really quite nice. I don't have any particular impressions on the animations in the other/mainline 3DS games, but they did a wonderful job on Great Ace Attorney. They even made rather good use of the 3d with them, which was nice.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I've just finished the first game for the first time in years, and that felt like it had more pitfalls like that, but also simultenously expected you to make astonishing leaps of logic from time to time. I feel like later games got a bit better about that, but there's probably at least one point in each game where I have to look at a guide to figure out what the hell the game wants me to do to move on. It feels like they end up telegraphing the more obvious (to me at least) things, and then leaving you out to hang on some random little thing.

Great Ace Attorney feels a lot nicer to play in general. I don't remember having to do anything annoying like move through 4 different areas to get to where I want to investigate or anything.

Fly Ricky posted:

But the animation and 3D effects are gorgeous, as always. I’d have to look at the earlier editions again, but it seems as though they’re the best in the series thus far. Lots of reused assets, but it seems that there are more small details added to spice it up. Kind of surprised at how racist the first antagonist was (towards the Japanese characters).

Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting to the 3ds ones to see if the animations are as nice (I suspect they're not, the ones in Great Ace Attorney really blew me away, especially for an AA game).

Also get used to people hating the japanese. I suspect that's part of the reason why they weren't quite inclined to bring it over — there'd definitely be complaints about that.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

last time i played it, i noticed that most of the time, the game leads you in the text to what you have to do or present. the hint is usually just a rewording of the description text of one of the pieces of evidence or its contents. of course this isn't always the case and sometimes it definitely feels like it it's just asking you to guess.

i think the only times it's egregiously bad is when they want you to point to a specific spot on a map, or interact with the systems in a way that isn't just presenting evidence or pressing testimony. you can be one pixel off, or not realize that it's asking for something more specific so you click on the place you know the answer is and it tells you "sorry nick i don't know what that has to do with anything," and that throws you way off because you end up thinking, well if it isn't that then what the gently caress IS it?

Yeah, some of those prompts aren't worded in a way that will lead you to finding the right spot. I've also noticed that quite a few of them require you to remember a seemingly incidental line someone threw out 20 minutes ago; that would be fine, except that was also probably a couple of save points ago, and god help you if you actually stopped playing at one of those.

Of course, then there's things like (AJ spoilers): Of course the killer was inside the ramen cart. Surely you knew that a person could be inside one of those, right? Those sort of things might be pretty intuitive if you're japanese, but that just didn't occur to me in the slightest. Relatedly, I spent an embarassingly long time spinning a book around in AA1's case 5 trying to shake a picture out of it. They swapped the covers around, but they didn't move the open hotspot to the new front cover, and just couldn't find the drat thing. Thankfully, I don't think there are terribly many things like that in Great Ace Attorney, since you're in England for most of it).

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You can use regular GBA ROMs directly with open_agb_firm without having to inject .cias. I wrote a summary of it in the homebrew thread.

Also you should homebrew all your 3DSes, don't hold back.

And piggybacking off this, twilight menu ++ also includes (or can use) gbarunner2, so if you wanted to use ds roms instead of gluing a cartridge case to the back of your 3ds, that's another one-stop sort of solution. It's not as tidy as the cia injections, though.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's mainly about the transaction security and not wanting to have to maintain all that in perpetuity on old network protocols. Frankly only being able to make purchases with your existing balance should be more than good enough to lock it down though, as nothing financial touches the 3DS or WiiU - All the money is on the back-end.

That does nothing for the login credentials, and there's no way nintendo's going to do like sony and have you generate single-device passcodes for old poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

What if I already have enough H's and am in the market for some Ks and Vs?

It's probably got a github, I'm sure you can fork it and change the icon/name.

Tangentially, I remember seeing a luma update mention that it can load patches, rather than you going through the trouble of patching a cia or whatever. Does it work well/is there much that makes use of this? On the vita side, there's tons of translations/undubs/weird nude patches for pixel games (lol) that use repatch, which i assume works somewhat similarly; but the only 3ds thing I can think of that involves patching is the translation for great ace attorney (and the dead-seeming effort for the 2nd one).

So: anything cool done with patches for 3ds stuff? And is there some sort of place to look for this sort of thing? The obvious reddit (much like the vita one) is mostly full of people who can't follow directions asking for help, or requesting ports of things that obviously won't work.