Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So I just managed to talk my friend (who has a 3DSXL) out of buying a New, mostly through making him realize he didn't actually have any good reasons to get one now instead of waiting and trying to get one cheaper a bit later. I assume I am now to be shunned by this thread.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:siren::siren:Updated the OP with corrections and suggestions from the thread, and the second post with some game recommendations. Feel free to make good game recommendations along with why its a good game that should be recommended and I'll paste it into the 2nd post:siren::siren:
That list lacks a few things so here's some. More later, maybe.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Nintendo decided to make a sequel to A Link to the Past and ended up making (opinions may vary) the best Zelda game since A LInk to the Past, some would argue even better than ALttP and the best Zelda game ever. But whatever the case, if you like Zelda at all, this is one game you can't miss, especially not if you have fond memories of ALttP. It's pretty much a distilled verion of the Zelda formula, being probably the least linear game in the series since the first Legend of Zelda. Did I mention that the 3D is fantastic? Because the 3D is fantastic.

Kid Icarus Uprising
21 years later a new Kid Icarus game was released and it was amazing. A third person action game split into air segments where you shoot enemies and land stages where you run around punching enemies, a complaint people might have about it is the controls, as you move with the circle pad and aim with the stylus. No, having a circle pad pro or New does not let you use dual stick aiming, the right stick does exactly the same thing the left one does. It's for left-handed people. The game came with a stand for the 3DS to rest on while playing, but no idea how available that is anymore.

But if you can accept the controls, you can get to experience a fantastic action game with a lot of stuff to do, many weapons to craft, a ton of challenges to clear (same challenge panel system as in Smash Bros - Uprising is also one of Sakurai's brainchildren) and the best dialogue on the 3DS. The conversations between Pit, Palutena and various other good and bad guys are unforgettable.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
If you like rhythm games, you might have played the Ouendan games and Elite Beat Agents for the DS. While there's no Ouendan 3D, there's this. And it has enough content to keep you occupied forever. Over 200 songs on the cart itself to start with, and another 80+ to be had through DLC (as of February 2015, and they keep releasing more). Three types of stages that while all are played through tapping or holding or swiping on the touchscreen (doesn't matter where) at the correct time still actually makes it feel like slightly different kind of gameplay. Cute chibi FF characters to level up and assign skills and kill monsters and get loot. A Quest mode exists, but if you don't want to bother with the RPG elements, you can mostly ignore that completely and just play songs.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Folt The Bolt posted:

I'm gonna be contrary and say that 3DS Smash definitely has it's merits over the Wii U version.
Apart from portability and Smash Run being a lot more fun than Smash Tour, what would these actually be?

I'll say that I haven't actually tried playing the 3DS version since I got the Wii U, though. Still working on unlocking things and clearing challenges and stuff on U, one stupid 3DS challenge remaining... I should do that some time but gently caress that hat unlocking seriously

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

RE: Smash guy

I think I actually prefer Wii U Classic mode. Agree with you on challenges, though - 8 Lucina Cruel KOs, seriously? And of course that's unhammerable. But I've found custom move unlocking to be faster on Wii U, not in the least thanks to Crazy Orders that lets you aim for certain character's moves and certainly has felt like the best way to unlock just about everything. I imported all my custom characters from 3DS though so I could play with my moves before unlocking them. Agreeing a little on colours, I liked that on 3DS, though it's not that hard to hit Y a few times when you pick your character (and that gets saved with the customization if you have custom charactes so there's that), but Wii U has control customization as well, you just have to select your control profile every time (which have certainly annoyed me). And the records thing sounds like a weird issue to have, but if you share the Wii U with other people I guess it might be a thing.

So yeah. All in all I liked the single player content on U better. Crazy Orders, oh yeah.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Nolgthorn posted:

I heard someone mention I shouldn't leave my 3DS plugged in, is that accurate? It seems most electronics after being fully charged just automatically stop charging without my intervention. All those stories of exploded devices are when that mechanism fails from what I understand.

It would be nice not to have to baby it.
The batteries used nowadays don't take any damage from it, is what I hear. It used to be more of an issue with the kind that was used in some earlier gadgets.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Minidust posted:

Does the 3DS stand that comes with the physical version of Kid Icarus even work with an XL? They're cheap enough on eBay, but I forgot that they were made when the tiny original 3DS was the only one out.

Haven't actually played KI:U, but considering it as a Club Nintendo reward. Not sure how valid a frame of reference this is, but I found the controls in Metroid Prime Hunters quite uncomfortable, enough so that I quit the game about halfway through.
I use the stand with my XL all the time (it's great when you're just kinda using the thing, like browsing eShop or whatever, and fantastic for playing Curtain Call), played though all of Uprising with it without the controls bothering me, and Hunters made my hand hurt back in the day.

Perhaps i should try playing Hunters with the stand.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Updated the first 3 posts. If you've posted something for the OP and I've missed it, let me know.
I wrote some here that were either missed, ignored or rejected and I never figured out which.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

12 more Curtain Call songs :shepspends:

Seiken Densetsu 3 - Swivel (BMS)
Nier - Kainé / Salvation (FMS)
Legend of Mana - Echoes of the Spiral (FMS)
Chrono Trigger - Frog's Theme (BMS)
SaGa Frontier 2 - Misgestalt (BMS)
Final Fantasy IX - Vamo' alla flamenco (BMS)
Nier - Song of the Ancients/Devola (FMS)
Live A Live - Megalomania (BMS)
Romancing SaGa 2 - The Ultimate Confrontation (BMS)
Romancing SaGa - The Conflict (BMS)
Final Fantasy XIV - Nemesis (BMS)
Final Fantasy V - The Dawn Warriors (BMS)

And Kirby's Adventure Wii on the Wii U eShop, this is a bad day for my wallet.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I have created this to depict my relation to Curtain Call

timg'd for grey mutant penis

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've been hovering over the purchase button on Kirby's Adventure 3D for a while. Maybe next paycheck..
Kirby's Adventure 3D is pretty drat excellent. Of all the 3D Classics, it's by far the best game - the original NES game holds up even today. The 3D is great. I figured it would be my only 3D Classic, then I ended up getting Kid Icarus too, but yeah, Kirby's Adventure is fantastic. Get it.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 19, 2015

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Flint_Paper posted:

Rather than selling the game/giving it to friends, I have bought a New 3DS XL. It arrives next week.

I am an idiot.
This was the correct decision as you now have a whole lot of to you brand new DS and 3DS games to experience.

Your first course of action should be to purchase A Link Between Worlds and Kid Icarus Uprising.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > New Nintendo 3DS Chat: Goons practicing sucking

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

epitasis posted:

Hey uhh is there any good way to get black shards in Theatrhythm Curtain Call? I don't even want dumb Sephiroth I just want to have all the characters unlocked. From googling it seems like the only reliable way is to trade maps with somebody on Gamefaqs in 2014. Anyone have a quest map with a bunch of black shards I can snag? Thanks~
I have some Quest Medley maps with black shard rewards. In particular I have a premium map where both the Final Boss and one of the bosses during the quest give 3 black shards each, so that's 6 in one map. Got some other maps with blacks too. Add me on Skype (kennyman616) or hit me up on IRC (find me on synirc with the same nick as my forum name) and we could set up a game or two.

And if anyone needs white shards, I have a map with a total of 12 whites as rewards. Huh.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Anyone not buying Good King Moggle Mog XII for Curtain Call is forever dead to me. The same goes for anyone who plays rhythm games on a handheld system without using headphones.

Crazy Chocobo and Zero are great purchases as well.

As someone who has bought all the songs, the only one I straight up regret spending money on and you should avoid forever is the FFII Chocobo song. Good loving god that is a boring as poo poo tune.

But, yeah, Curtain Call rules. Second only to ALBW on my personal ranking of best 3DS games.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

precision posted:

The Law of Inverse Quality is making me question: is Gunman Clive really that good for a three dollar game? I mean on the eShop a $3 game is like the equivalent of a F2P game on any other platform.
Gunman Clive is good. Gunman Clive 2 is not as good, but still worth the price. Just don't do what I did in 2 and play Bob first. He suffers a lot from being a melee character in a game designed for having a gun. I started a new game on Hard with Ms. Johnson and it's easier than Normal with Bob, so there's that.

So if you like action platforming, get them. I mean, buying both will cost you $5 in total. I can assure you you've spent more money on worse games in the past.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

goferchan posted:

Did anyone think Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword were really special/incredible the same way you did playing Link's Awakening or Ocarina of Time back when they came out??
So, playing Ocarina of Time. It was long ago, and I enjoyed games in a different way at that time 'cause I was still a kid. It was a special experience, that's for sure. I remember being overjoyed when I caught a fish in the fishing pond that was heavier than my older brother's weight record. I got stuck in the water temple like an idiot.

At the time, it was Zelda going 3D. It was fantastic. It's only in retrospect that I've come to find Majora's Mask a better game, I don't think I thought that when I played it originally.

Wind Waker I liked, but never really loved to that degree. It was a good game, but... not extra spectacular like OoT had been.

Now, Twilight Princess? I loved that. I straight up loved that. In fact, Twilight Princess (GC) is my favourite 3D Zelda. And I didn't even play it when it was new, for whatever reason, instead I borrowed it from a friend and played it through not long before Skyward Sword came out. I loved the world, I loved the graphic style, I loved the characters. The dungeons were great. The Dominion Rod sidequest was perhaps not the game's finest moment, but in the end I didn't really find it that bad.

Also, Midna.

Also, dual Clawshots. If you don't think that's the coolest thing ever, I don't know what's wrong with you.

So, basically, yeah. While I can't say the experience was identical, just as I had found OoT incredible back in the day, I found TP incredible when I played it.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Zelda games were on sale at one point for... something. I picked up the NES and GB/GBC games at that time, at least. That's the only time I can remember seeing them on sale at all.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

ALBW was on sale that time - and now that I'm recalling that sale, it was only in Europe.

So, yeah, -23% off for ALBW happened once, over here in communist Europe. So don't get your hopes up.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Looper posted:

Are there any series where you should play newer games before older games?
Metroid, Kirby, Star Control, Grand Theft Auto, Saints Row, Donpachi, Castlevania, The Incredible Machine. Final Fantasy, I guess. Smash Bros, in my opinion.

Assuming "just skip the first entry/first few entries entirely".

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

SoulChicken posted:

On final fantasy curtain call, do people generally use the stylus or the buttons to play?
I use the stylus. Tried buttons, but confused myself when having to use one hand for beats and one for swipes. And swipes at the end of phrase markers in field stages were nearly impossible to hit properly, especially when the swipe was upwards or downwards and it had been going in the opposite direction right before.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Waltzing Along posted:

E: I am so on the fence about amiibos. On one hand I'd like to try them out but there aren't many that really interest me. On the other, I can see myself going nuts buying them and spending too much $$$.

Are they worth it?
If you just want to use them for their game applications and not care about the hunks of plastic attached to the chips, wait until they release them in card form. They should be significantly cheaper. I'll probably pick up a few at that point. Need a Link, at least.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

More Curtain Call songs! :retrogames:

Final Fantasy X - Assault (BMS)
Final Fantasy Tactics - Apoplexy (BMS)
Romancing SaGa - Beat Them Up! (BMS)
Chrono Trigger - Battle with Magus (BMS)
Nier Replicant & Nier Gestalt - Hills of Radiant Winds (BMS)
Secret of Mana - Into the Thick of It (FMS)

Also I think I've hit a wall in Pokémon Shuffle, and that wall is Mega Gengar. Maybe I'll have to go back and grind up my Pokémons.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Anora posted:

I saw the DLC for it, just was hoping for a movie. Same with the Chrono Cross opening.
Event music stages are boring as poo poo to play though.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Kanfy posted:

Also the most important thing related to Curtain Call and DLC is that Good King Moggle Mog's track is BMS and thus also playable online. :getin:
Is that a challenge

Because I'm ready to throw down

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Kanfy posted:

I can moggle up your poo poo anytime. :colbert:
Send me your friend code, it's time to see who is the real Moggle King of SA

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Kanfy posted:

It's 1048-9408-5600, any C-Callers are welcome because there can never be too much multiplayer in that game.
Added you, I'm 5343-9791-2614. (more friend codes for Curtain Call and other games can be found here)

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

flyboi posted:

I did it

I beat all 150 levels of pokemon shuffle without spending a dime or using that exploit that was around. Was actually a fun game and is much better than that other Pokemon bejeweled clone.
150 is the last, eh? I figured. I've reached that one and only got a few Pokémon left to catch. Guess I can start spending coins on some Great Balls if there's nothing more past this.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

flyboi posted:

Edit: You will definitely need some money or gems for the last battle. It's dick as gently caress.
Yyyyyeah. I tried it once already. Got 10 jewels stockpiled from the trainer battles, I spent the first ones I got on hearts then realized I had no reason to do that.

Also: gently caress Zoroark, seriously

Edit: And these EX stages where the fuckers have a 1% base catchability rate, wtf.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 8, 2015

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Waltzing Along posted:

I am trying to get through the Zelda games in some semblance of order for some dumb reason. Anywya, I finished OOT and then went to LTTP. Which should I play next?

Skyward Sword
Majora's Mask
Oracle of something
Windwaker

WW is probably the one I am most excited to play but I also kind of want to wait a while as I've heard it is even better if you have other games under your belt. The one I am most excited about after WW is Link's Awakening but I want to do the Oracles first.
Go for Majora's Mask next, and play Link's Awakening before the Oracle games. Other than that, order doesn't matter a ton, but I'd proooobably say Wind Waker before Skyward Sword. Get Twilight Princess (GC version) in there somewhere too. I assume you played ALBW already.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Variable_H posted:

Link's Awakening is chronologically after the Oracle games though. Why should he play it first if chronology is important to them?
Hm, I seemed to remember it was the other way around. Oh, well. It's not like there's anything in the Oracle storylines that connect to anything in Link's Awakening.

So whatever then.

But yeah if you want chronology start with Skyward Sword and then follow the official timeline, one fork at a time. Do Majora's Mask while you still have OoT in recent memory, though.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Kanfy posted:

I've always found handhelds a curious choice for games like Senran Kagura considering the terrible screen size and resolution, but I suppose they wouldn't keep making and localizing 'em if they didn't sell.
3D boobs and/or touchscreens.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

noirstronaut posted:

Also Shantae is pretty interesting. I might check out that 3DS one once I beat this one.
Pirate's Curse is going on sale (25% off) when the eShop updates on Thursday, so you have good timing.

Also captured almost all Pokémons in Shuffle. But dear god those legendaries with 1% catch rate can go eat a bag of dicks.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

noirstronaut posted:

Also, I know the GBC game is critically acclaimed, but is it actually worth it to play it?
Yes

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I do in fact have a Wiimote wrist strap on my 3DS. Figured it would be of more use there and it's actually been good to have.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I never had one of those thumb straps and I doubt I would have used it anyway.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I just want the loving adapter. :negative:
As was stated, get the Mayflash one. It's excellent. And available.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

precision posted:

Mega Gengar is an rear end in a top hat.
You think Mega Gengar is bad, just wait until the final boss.

Mega Gengar I somehow beat, only things I bought were a Moves+5 and Mega Start and that time I think I didn't even need those extra moves. Spent some time capturing most EX Pokémons, idk if they helped much when I took down Mega Gengar.

Only Pokémen I have left to catch now are Blaziken, Raikou and Xerneas and they're all cunts. loving 1% catchability rate (though with a bit of luck in the fight - that is, 4 seconds remaining at victory - I can at least get 21% catchability rate on Raikou which is good enough to just try again and again for).

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Crafty posted:

I was going to buy Super Hang on and Space harrier but read some bad reviews.
Space Harrier is good, hectic fun. It was the first game I got in the sale, and the only other one I ended up getting was Shinobi III. Space Harrier would have been a much better use of your money than Altered Beast, which is a bad game.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

^ Europe has a 50% off on the 3D Sega Classics (except for Sonic) right now, no word on them going on sale in the US too.

Crafty posted:

edit: ^I never thought to check whether altered beast was actually good. I just remembered turning into a werewolf in it when I was a kid and assumed that would be enough. Looks like I bought a stinker. Will buy Space harrier then!
Altered Beast is a fondly remembered game. It has the classic "RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE" at the start, and it was the game that (at least in Europe) came with the Mega Drive, which probably did a lot for the nostalgia over it. And you played buff muscular dudes that got to turn into wolves, dragons, bears and tigers. It's camp as all hell.

But it's not a GOOD game. In reality, it wasn't a good game even back then. But I think it's one of those games that is remembered for being more than it actually was, and the Mega Drive not having anywhere near the library that the SNES did combined with Altered Beast coming with the console likely plays into that a lot.

But, yeah, at 50% off it's not a great loss. The 3D looked good in the screenshots. (the 3D in Space Harrier 3D is great, also.)

Speaking of which, the 3D screenshots of Galaxy Force II fucks with my eyes something fierce and I don't know why. It's like I'm looking at a magic eye picture. Maybe related to how I can see those things immediately and the poo poo in the background of the GFII shots? It's the only 3D on the 3DS that has done this to me. It's weird.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 14, 2015

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

More Curtain Call songs coming Thursday: :shepspends:

Final Fantasy X-2 - Real Emotion (BMS)
Final Fantasy Legend II - Struggle to the Death (BMS)
Chrono Trigger - Boss Battle 2 (BMS)
Chrono Trigger - Corridors of Time (FMS)
Live A Live - Birds in the Sky, Fish in the River (FMS)
NieR - Shadowlord (BMS)
Romancing SaGa 3 - Devil Lord Confrontation II (BMS)
Seiken Densetsu 3 - Meridian Child (FMS)

Shadowlord and Birds in the Sky will be free until April 1st.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The screens are the same size, the unit is slightly larger. But not noticeably so.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

lol I played the Lucario stage in Pokémon Shuffle one time and was on the upper half of the ranking board, thanks for the Lucario stone.

Also the game has been updated to add more main stages. I just need to defeat that fucker Mewtwo.

Edit: Wait wasn't I supposed to get a free jewel for entering in the contest too

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 23, 2015