Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ciaphas posted:

Good news, everyone! :farnsworth:

Remembered I had an old pair of glasses with anti-glare coating, so I tried those instead for my 3DS. It worked, an hour of the MH4 demo and EO4 and no headaches. I'm free to play excellent games :woop:

Now the question is, do I want a New 3DS so I have proper camera controls for MH4. Probably not gonna get much for the XL at gamestop am I.

Go spoil yourself and get a New3DSXL.

Suggestion for the OP for how often it appears;

Q: Should I get a new3DSXL?

A: YES!

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ciaphas posted:

Oh sure I know I'm beating a dead horse :v:. It's just that unless the New 3DS (New 3DSxl? is there even a smaller New?) has better wireless hardware in it or something (B/G only? seriously nintendo) the only improvement that matters to me is the extra circle pad, since 3D is meaningless to me.

Yes, it downloads much faster, and it actually has good speakers built in instead of the tinny ones on the original XL.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's overall fine. It's just a few people that wear glasses that seem to hit snags though I wear glasses myself it seems to work fine for me. Maybe it's a prescription thing.

Talking out my rear end here, but maybe thick rims are enough to throw off the tracking by creating a second object for it to track. On the face-tracking note, I wonder if it's possible for games to make use of it. It'd be neat to have it actually rotate the image properly instead of merely re-angle it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I'm really impressed with MM3D. It feels contemporary - funny that it comes out a week after "Life is Strange," which is a great game but which is largely built on mechanics that MM3D pioneered ~15 years before. I never played the original and was concerned that - like "the Ocarina of time" - it wouldn't remotely hold up to fans' memories. I do think that the Ocarina of Time is a legitimately Not Great, bordering on Bad game that nostalgia completely blinds people to. I've bought it three times (Gamecube bonus disc with Wind Waker, Wii VC, and then 3D remake) because I wanted to believe that it was as good as people say it is. On the other hand, MM3d is actually probably the best Zelda game I've played to date, just a brilliantly designed thing. [Full disclosure - I started with the original LOZ in '86 or whenever].

Majora's Mask 3D also improves on the original quite a bit with lots of little changes that are mostly for the better. A lot more info is tracked in the Notebook (which it frankly needed), and Tatl's a little more helpful with reminders that might get forgotten without being obtuse about them to the extent of N64 Navi (for example, a one-off reminder to go revive the Great Fairy in Clock Town a second time once you get the curse broken, because she promised a second reward). Tatl can get a little annoying during the first cycle with reminders on where to go next, but I can kinda understand why it's there to help new players get through it, and it stops once you're in the game proper.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:siren::siren:Updated the OP with corrections and suggestions from the thread, and the second post with some game recommendations. Feel free to make good game recommendations along with why its a good game that should be recommended and I'll paste it into the 2nd post:siren::siren:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Q: Should I get a New3DSXL?
A: YES!

Bless you :allears:. You forgot to bold and italicize the "YES" though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Annath posted:

I could afford the New 3DS, I just don't really care about the features. I don't plan on buying Xenoblade since I own the Wii version and haven't gotten around to beating it.

I have doubts about Nintendo actually taking advantage of the improved hardware (see DSi shovelware), and while the nubstick would be useful for Monster Hunter, that's not really my series.

So while the price difference is small, I personally don't have a reason to spend the extra money.

Now I probably would have pulled the trigger if I could have gotten the Majora's Mask bundle. I love that purple finish.

Uh... the Majora's Mask n3DSXL is a metallic gold.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RadicalR posted:

It's certainly dark. It can take a lot of trial and error to figure out what to do next, especially since you only have a limited amount of time (which you can reset, but it also resets all of your progress with certain exceptions.)

Here's how it works to be clear; The game's set over a three-day cycle, and when you reset it by playing the Song of Time you keep most of your items. All you lose are bottle contents, arrows, bombs, and your cash (there's a bank you can stash your rupees in that'll last between cycles).

All four temples also have a teleporter right in the entrance that will take you straight to the boss if you've cleared it once, just so you can knock them over again to do the post-temple sidequests for that region (clearing the temple generally does something like ending a heavy winter in the mountains, or cleaning the swamp of poisonous water).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Randler posted:

Old DS games do not have region locks and can be played in any (New) 3DS console regardless of where that 3DS was purchased, right?

(Considering getting one and curious about whether I can play US imports of older games because Atlus apparently hates Europe.)

Yup. The only thing region-locked on the old DS's is the DSi games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It seems like the games which preserve/gain value these days are only poo poo that you can't easily get a digital copy of in the first place. gently caress Xenoblade,

Give it about six months to a year and it'll pop up on the WiiU's Wii VC list. The only reason it hasn't now is so it isn't competing with the n3DS version and, to be fair, it's a perfectly good choice to go "look what we can do with better hardware" in the same vein as Ocarina of TIme was for the original 3DS.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turtlicious posted:

Picked up Majora's Mask and the new fire emblem, I got a 2DS for christmas, and I need someone to convince me that the 3D doesn't look that great so I don't go and blow 200 in 2 weeks because it's my b-day.

This is not a subforum of careful spending and moderated finances. Go get yourself a shiny new3DSXL because the 3D's great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

elf help book posted:

It depends on the game, the 3D can make some games that may have bland graphics look much better and more interesting.

Hell, I own Xenoblade Chronicles already and I'm a little tempted to get the n3DS version just to run around looking at it all in 3D.

Turtlicious posted:

So things don't look weird and flat / look a lot better with the 3D on?

Go take a look at a demo console if you haven't already. I'd have thought they'd be in just about every store in the US by now, considering every major EB Games and the like usually has one in Australia. Though my local Targets have 2DS's as their demo consoles for some weird reason. I guess it's so they can push them on small children like they're designed for.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

techknight posted:

Got my first 3DS on Friday. I'm loving Link Between Worlds (and oddly the StreetPass plaza games). But Super Mario 3D Land has crashed on me a few times now:

Is it just a buggy game? Or am I pressing some Close Software key combo without realizing?

You're pressing the power button :v:. If the game crashes, it'll actually say "This game has crashed".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Argue posted:

I bought a larger microSD card and I'm hoping to nab a New 3DS tonight. Is this going to work:

Turn on and do initial setup on New 3DS (old microSD inside)
Old 3DS -> New 3DS (old microSD inside)
Copy from SD to new microSD
Swap out the old microSD with the new microSD.

Or should I need to put the new microSD in before I even do the initial setup on the new 3DS?

Nope, you're doing it wrong.

Do the system transfer as it tells you to with the Old SD in the Old3DS.

When it gets to the point of asking you to transfer the SD card, remove it from the Old3DS and insert it into your PC. Copy the entire contents to a folder somewhere.

Transfer those files onto the new microSD.

Insert that micro-SD into the new3DS and continue system transfer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

So I got my New 3DS and was actually able to do the transfer in store. Their wifi password was "sellmoretablets". I feel bad for them.
On the plus side, the little animation that Nintendo made for when you transfer is adorable and it's crazy that they even bothered considering you're only going to see it once.
http://instagram.com/p/zLiZC7i96i/?modal=true

Some of us have gotten to see it twice :smuggo:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Argue posted:

Help me make an important life decision! The local stores here in the Philippines have decided to bundle the New 3DS with some free stellar A-tier games, so I need your help to decide which of the following games to get with my New 3DS: I have my pick of Ben 10, Moshi Monsters, or Puppies 3D! Sadly they didn't include Imagine Babiez on the list.

Obviously Puppies 3D is the way to go, because the other two sound like licensed games and you know how good those are :rolleyes:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I wouldn't recommend trying any game that uses it for anything other than general camera controls. That nub's not very precise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Healbot posted:

But Americans did it first.

Actually Kevin Warwick, a British Scientist, did it first with an RFID chip in his wrist to open doors and turn lights on in 1998 to see if it could be done :eng101:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Forget about the themes, I want a n3ds with that snes button color layout like in those videos. :eyepop:

That's because it's the normal new3DS and not the XL.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turtlicious posted:

Can you shoot video in 3D using the 3DS I just thought of a great use for the new system.

Yes you can. Open the Nintendo 3DS Camera App on the menu (not by holding L+R) and select the silhouette of the video camera beside the center camera icon at the top of the touchscreen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Etrips posted:

I am assuming that it is impossible to find either of the LE N3DS' at retail price anywhere?

At this point, probably not. You're up against dedicated nerds scouring retail outlets for any that slipped the net, so they're most likely all gone by now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Saoshyant posted:

Eh, "really good" isn't how I would describe that port, but it's perfectly all right and, outside a Vita, a good way to experience the best MGS game on the go. Also, the N3DS nub should work as a second stick since Snake Eater was one of the few games that supported the MonHun CPP accessory.

Yes, it'll work. Anything compatible will see the n3DS's extra buttons and C-stick nub as a CPP.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ChaosArgate posted:

My n3DS order from Best Buy's been shipped, but the shipping seems to be delayed because of inclement weather. gently caress this storm.

At the very least there's a very real possibility of finding your package with the delivery guy's frozen hand still clutching it, so you won't be able to say you didn't get your pound of flesh in compensation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Champeenship posted:

A Nu3DS Xenoblade plate is getting released alongside the game in Japan.

Given the massive cult following behind the "Rainfall" games, I'd actually be quite surprised if we don't see a newXL Special Edition out in the US/PAL regions.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

greatn posted:

Griffin McElroy brought it up today, but did Nintendo not see how god drat insane people went over Amiibo? What in the god drat world were they thinking not putting out a version of the new one where they can charge you fifteen loving dollars for a negative ten cents piece of plastic with Yoshis god drat face on it?

Have you seen the amount of Skylanders and Disney Infinity toys that gets stuck on most shelves? A soft launch was a really smart idea in the face of that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waltzing Along posted:

I can change my plates? I'd like that as I prefer the matte on my old one more than the slick on the new. Just in terms of how it feels to hold.

Not on the XL. Only the regular new3DS has interchangeable Faceplates.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If any ausgoons are still after a Monster Hunter new3DSXL, as of about 2:30 this arvo the Swanston St. EB Games in Melbourne had two of them for $250 each behind the counter upstairs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If any ausgoons want Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars for cheap, Big W's dumping their copies at $10 apiece.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tender Bender posted:

Wait why would you need a screen protector on the top screen? The lid doesn't press the screen against anything, does it? Is the 3d that immersive that you lose yourself and try to grab Mario or something?

The objects float out of the screen in Majora's Mask, and I thought I could take them for myself :sigh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fuzz posted:

How the hell do they not have SNES games on Virtual Console? What the gently caress is that.

The processor can't handle emulating it. If we're very very lucky, maybe it's possible on the n3DS hardware.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yeah, there's a big difference between "it works okay for some games" and "working properly"

Also I'd like to thank whoever donated to the TG Sanity fund.

Looper posted:

This topic's come up a lot (along with sister topic GBA VC) and I don't think anyone's ever answered with one hundred percent certainty

The simple truth with software emulating is it needs to emulate half the hardware as well, which eats a lot of extra processing power. It's not just Button A = Button 1, but going through and accounting for the little tricks abused in the hardware like "waiting for chip 1 to complete it's memory stack before running code C" that simply isn't going to work on another console natively.

edit: VVV Yeah, pretty much that exactly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Did you not see his avatar as it was of about five-ten minutes ago of the obese naked man sitting at a computer?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Exioce posted:

I got a copy of Majora's Mask with my New 3DS XL. I'm holding off on registering the game. Is there any chance of Nintendo doing a 'Register Majora's Mask and get a free game' thing they occasionally do, or should I just bite the bullet and get my stars?

Just get your stars, they're closing out Club Nintendo at the end of the year.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Exioce posted:

Thanks, will do.

Isn't it weird that I'm registering 3DS games but I can only get points usable on my Wii? Or have I been doing it wrong all this time?

Point Cards can be used on the eShop and 3DS as well as the Wii VC.

And I really wish we got the Point Cards on the australian Club Nintendo :sigh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

So, what, Nintendo couldn't have fixed anything in the years since 2011? Has Nintendo even said a single official word about why they don't put out GBA games?

I could've sworn they actually made a statement that they couldn't bring them up to snuff on the 3DS at some point. What remains to be seen is how much of a game-changer the n3DS specs are for further VC games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I know I've seen a lot of people confidently saying "this is what Nintendo thinks" but I just can't recall any statements out of them.

I mean, I'd believe it if there were technical issues but some of the ones people bring up don't seem like massive obstacles. Don't downloadable Wii games on the WiiU function similarly, with an actual Wii chip taking over the system and turning off some console functions?

That's right, but the Wii at least natively had a Home menu. The GBA hardware in the original DS was designed to just run the cartridge from a slot, and then turn off when done so there's at least some work to be done to make it able to call out to the operating system properly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Volcott posted:

I was out of country on launch day so I've been waiting for my local Gamestop to get more N3DSes in. What do I need to bring to the store in order to do a system transfer? Does the system transfer include saved games? Should I just buy an N3DS from Wal-Mart, do all the transfer stuff at home, and sell my Link Between Worlds XL on Craigslist?

The System Transfer is everything on the console itself, not the SD card. You'll get a prompt to make that switch during the process. If you haven't done so already, replace the SD card in your current 3DS with a micro-SD card. Most come with an adapter for full-size SD slots, and you can just copy/paste the SD card contents onto your PC and then onto the new micro-SD card before slotting it back into your console.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Enallyniv posted:

Any recommendations for a Pokémon game? I just bought my first 3DS (nuXL) yesterday and I'm not sure if I should err towards the X/Y or OR/AS. There's not much nostalgia value in the Gen 3 remakes as I skipped that gen so the playing field is a little more leveled.

X/Y's probably the better one to start with if you'd like to ride some nostalgia. You get given your choice of Gen-1 starter a little ways into the game, along with a pretty good spread of previous-gen pokemon mixed in with the new ones.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BisterdDave posted:

Seriously, what game on the Vita would the president actually play?

Metal Gear Solid. :patriot:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cless Alvein posted:

Being serious both the Vita and 3DS are great systems. Although, this comes with the caveat that you enjoy all the niche weeaboo games that come out on Vita. I personally like and enjoy stupid poo poo like Neptunia, Conception 2, and Akiba's Trip. I'm actually bummed because my Hyperdevotion Noire LE was supposed to show up today and it didn't. I'm assuming it'll be here Monday with my htoL#NiQ LE. So ymmv on how useful or fun the vita is for you.

I agree the Vita's a really nice piece of hardware, it just doesn't have the push for good software that it needs to stay afloat in the mainstream market.

BisterdDave posted:

I really think they hosed up the N3DS by moving the cartridge slot, power button, and stylus all to the bottom of the console. The placement of everything on the 3DS XL is perfect in my opinion and shouldn't have been messed with.

I've just put it down to them shuffling everything about to get the most out of increased specs, including the switch to micro-SD cards. It's a jumble puzzle of "how can we make everything fit in the same frame?"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

glassyalabolas posted:

motherfucking beaver race is pissing me off. I'm peeved the camera doesn't follow you when you're swimming. Also why the hell does Link turn like a goddamn tank underwater.

It's worse in the original because Zora Link only had two speeds of 0 and :rice:. Be thankful for what you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

glassyalabolas posted:

did the camera work better?

Let me put it this way; Missing a ring in the 3D version is something you might actually recover from. Missing one in the N64 version is a complete race-ender because you'll spend far too much time trying to circle around into the one you missed.

And no, no it didn't.