Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Amppelix posted:

It's a good game! Not the sort of untouchable sacred cow good that a lot of people seem to remember though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Silver Falcon posted:

You have enough games to last you years, don't worry about it. Game on and enjoy.
Yeah, 3DS is tied with PS2 for the console I own the most games for (although the Switch may overtake it in a few years) and there are still a bunch of games for it that I want to play.

Also, if you do homebrew, it can make for a pretty good retro emulation system. Even without homebrew there's still a decent selection of retro games on the Virtual Console.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's also pretty easy to do nowadays.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is there much risk? All the official materials about the 3DS seem to have severe warnings about modding the system, but I guess that's just bluster?
It's like those commercials for pharmaceuticals that have to list everything that ever happened to anyone during the trials, just in case. Technically, the process could end up bricking your system if you follow an outdated tutorial or don't follow directions well. But as long as you're paying attention you shouldn't have any problems. I've softmodded two consoles (an o3DS and a new 3DS) myself - back when the process was more complex and riskier - without any problems, and several of my friends have modded consoles without any problems.

This is the guide I've used for both of my installs and it's kept up-to-date.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Any Atlus RPGs will absolutely kick your rear end without remorse. The head of Atlus USA is quoted as saying "we get off on your tears". SMT4 in particular has a brutal first dungeon, although the difficulty does ease off a bit afterwards.

Dragon Quest isn't hard. It's funny that the stereotype for DQ are these super grindy games, because I've only done any real amount of grinding in one DQ (9), and that was in the post-game. I played 7 with everyone except the Hero set to AI control, just because.

Bravely Default can get difficult, but the game's job system is quite easy to break wide open.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I want to go play Apocalypse but I hear it kinda sorta picks up from the Neutral ending of SMT4 and I want to go back and get that first, but Neutral is the hardest ending to get in 4 so I haven't done it yet.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ryuga Death posted:

Sorry to make another post but there's a good amount of 3DS games on sale on the nintendo website.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals/

The ones that look interesting to me are SMT4 and Etrian Odyssey just cause they're turn based RPGs but I'm not sure of how they actually play or which one to start with. I assume with SMT, it's best to start with 4. I also don't know how difficult these games are since I'm not good at rpgs at all.

edit: sorry about the link, you have to go all the way down until it says view more deals, click on that, and then select just the 3DS platform.
SMT4 has an absolutely brutal first dungeon, but levels off afterwards and becomes much more reasonable. I'd played through several other SMT/Persona games before it and it still killed me a couple of times before I even got a full party. And as said, the first boss (or two) are pretty tough. And yes, the best AI helper is the one with the heals and buffs instead of attacking moves, because she does the least amount of screwing you over.

I played the demo for Etrian Odyssey Untold and its sequel, and they definitely seem more reasonable than the original DS versions, and not as brutal as SMT4's first dungeon.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There were a couple of fights in the first game that were fairly difficult, imo the second was easier. Or maybe I was more cognizant of what the game was expecting of me.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Shadow225 posted:

I just started Bravely Default and I love everything about this after the first hour. It is charming and hitting a lot of good notes
Bravely Default is a good game, although the back half drags a bit. I still need to go beat Second though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You get new friends by talking to the Adventurer (the FF Red Mage-type guy who acts as a save point), in the "Save" menu. There are two options there, "Update Data" (which goes out looking on the Internet for randos to exchange Friend Summons and villagers with), and "Add Friend" should work with your 3DS friends. Make sure your buddy has you registered on their console and copy of the game, too, and has done the "Update Data" thing at least once recently, just to be safe. You have a max of 20 friends in Bravely Default, though.

I could've sworn I'd posted my Friend Code previously, but digging up the post has proven to be more effort than just looking it up on my 3DS. 1264-0166-6813.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, a cfw 3DS (with a DS flastcart) is an amazing way to play all of Nintendo's handheld library, Gameboy through 3DS.
You don't even need the DS flashcart (GBATemp link).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

repiv posted:

Yeah but DS flashcarts are dirt cheap and have near perfect game compatibility nowadays, while the software loader is still hit or miss. Just get a flashcart tbh.
I know game compatibility isn't perfect on Twilight Menu, but it's still being actively developed and it's worked perfectly on every game I've tried playing on it. Contrast the 4-5 DS flashcarts I have that work irregularly at best (most of them seem to have connection issues or something).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

irlZaphod posted:

btw as you progress through the game you're basically going to want to rotate all (or most) jobs onto everyone, since pretty much every job has a useful skill you can equip.

Also there is a sort of soft level cap for jobs (I think it's 4) until a certain point in the game, you'll know because the JP requirements will suddenly jump. At that point you're better off rotating to a different job to get more skills.
I want to say it's more like 7-10/14, IIRC.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Stealing is mostly useful on bosses, and IIRC the best stuff comes from the Asterisk-holders.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm not going to wreck my 3DS battery constantly leaving it on sleep days on end? Rebuilding Norende, the village, is very thrilling and I'm probably rushing it but it's so nice to come back hours later and see that number go up. It's very much a addictive adaptation from phone games.
I left my 3DS in sleep mode practically from the day I bought BD until I beat it and haven't noticed any battery problems yet.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think Bravely Default had FriendBot or whatever.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

OhFunny posted:

Hmm. Feel like I missed something important by not doing the side quest in Chapter 4 of Bravely Default. I figured I could come back to it later, but passed a point of no return.
If you're talking about the sidequest to get into the castle in Eternia, you can do that in Chapter 5, and you'll get the same reward as you would have if you'd done it in Chapter 4.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

...I don't know. I did the sidequest in Ch. 5, too. I think if you didn't do it in Ch. 4, everything's the same when you do it in Ch. 5, though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I feel like if they did go 1:1 on the original games, people in here would be complaining that they can't adjust to playing, say, SMB style after playing SMB3 or SMW style, or NSMB style after playing NSMBU style.

It's a lose-lose situation, basically.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Didn't All-Stars also change SMB3's thing where you could control the direction mushrooms moved by hitting the block from different sides? Or am I thinking of Mario Maker?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

SeANMcBAY posted:

Can’t you do that in every Mario game including the first?
IIRC mushrooms in SMB only went one direction, to the right. This was changed in every Mario game 3 and on to be that it goes in the opposite direction from the side of the block you hit.

E: I tested some of the games, and SMB they all move right no matter where you hit the block or what direction you're facing; SMB3 (both regular and All-Stars) the mushroom's direction changes based upon where you hit the block, facing is irrelevant; SMW doesn't seem to care, they all move right.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 13, 2020

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Amppelix posted:

This is what I don't get. Unless the acting is bad, if i'm enjoying a story I will definitely want to listen to it acted because being able to hear the tone and inflection adds so much to dialogue.
Specific example; I first played Devil Survivor on the DS, where it didn't have VA. When I bought and played Overclocked on 3DS, I found out that I had interpreted a few lines of dialogue differently from the voice actors/director (who presumably have access to the original writers and thus a better understanding of their intent than I do).

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That is true, but how many games really have worthwhile voice-acting?
Honestly, quite a few. Most titles made on more than an indie budget nowadays managed to shell out for at least decent VA. I kinda feel like this is the video game equivalent of "subs-only" anime purists, who claim that dubs are "unwatchable", and I wonder if they've actually watched any dubbed anime since the '90s or early '00s.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd go with Rune Factory 4 (though if you have a Switch you might prefer to play Special) and basically any Kirby game. The SMT Devil Survivor games can also be chipped away at, though certain boss fights might be best saved for longer play sessions (basically any boss with Bel anywhere in its name).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Lord Lambeth posted:

I think the limit is 99 but you will probably finish your village before that.
I have about 500 in my Norende, so I think the limit is more like 999.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Also just keep updating it. For some reason I thought that I couldn't have more than 10 for a very long time. You can have more than 10 villagers.
The game only accepts 20 of your actual 3DS console's registered friends, so maybe that was the source of your confusion?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I like that you think I have friends with 3DS's. :unsmith:

No, it's just when I began updating it it did 3 at a time then two and two. And somehow I figured that meant it had stopped. There was no reason to believe this, 10 is just a round number.
Many of my IRL friends have a 3DS, but only one has actually played Bravely, and I don't even know if he beat it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Lord Lambeth posted:

I've max'd out my village at like 50 villagers, that is ridiculously high.
Yeah, I was using updates to get Nemeses long after I'd maxed my village out, so I was still gaining villagers.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

E2M2 posted:

I got maybe like 15 hours into braverly and I totally forgot where I'm supposed to go or even what the story was anymore.
There's a plot recap in D's Journal, IIRC.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd like to know as well, I damaged the bottom of mine by removing it too often.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Fly Ricky posted:

So I tracked down a copy of Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Naruhodō Ryūnosuke no Bōken and applied the translation patch. It seems very well done. Maybe I’ve just forgotten how the Ace Attorney games worked over the years, but goddamn it’s so nit picky about the evidence you submit to prove your point.

Only finished the first case, but there were several instances where I had two pieces of evidence that more or less show the same thing and got dinged for not picking the “right” one, only to have to present the other option nearly immediately after. I’m probably just thinking too far ahead; they always want you to take the smallest steps possible to get to the point. Even though it’s completely logical to just submit one piece of evidence that can bridge the gaps.

Obligatory Awkward Zombie comic.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I thought NSMB2 had multiplayer over Wi-Fi? I definitely remember the advertising having a competitive bent to it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

At the very least, Gary was always one step ahead of you. By the time you get to the Gyms, he's already beaten the leaders. He meets Bill before you, gets Cut from the SS Anne before you, and is already in the Rocket base by the time you get there. He beats the Pokemon League and becomes champion before you. The only person he can't beat is you, and I think it's supposed to be a "tortoise and the hare"-type situation in-universe where you have the edge you need because you take the extra time to prepare.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

People do seem to inflate how bad Gary is in the games, he's just kind of a little rude? He even helps you out a couple of times over the course of the game, with little hints on where to go next.

I guess it's Anime Gary and his "Gary was here, Ash is a LOOOOOOOSER!" attitude seeping into people's recollections of how he was in the games.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ryuga Death posted:

Is it worth it to install CFW on a 3ds? I have a N3DS XL with a 32gb card but I still carry my carts with me. Outside of dumping carts onto the micro sd card (which I'd need to buy a larger card for), are there any other benefits?
You can back up your save files for digital titles in case your uSD craps out, file transfer is easier over FTP than constantly removing the uSD from the N3DS's rather poorly-placed uSD reader, and a softmodded N3DS is a fairly good retro emulation portable for 8/16-bit consoles. A Vita's better, IMO, but the 3DS had a much wider user base and has the button setup for Nintendo consoles.

Saoshyant posted:

Oh yeah, fan translations! I haven't bothered yet with Sherlock Holmes Ace Attorney and I totally have to get on that sooooooooon
If you believe that Capcom gigaleak they're working on a Switch port and localizations of Great Ace Attorney, so you might want to hold off on those.

Ryuga Death posted:

Would a 128gb micro sd card be enough to hold my games? Is installing cfw easy/idiot proof? I ask because I'm an idiot.
I don't know how many games you own, but between converted physical carts and digital titles, I own ~30 3DS games, and a 128GB uSD had plenty of room to spare.

As for how foolproof the installation process is, well, insert that saying about sufficiently talented fools, but following the right guide makes it pretty simple. And here's the right guide. Read through the whole process and decide for yourself if it looks doable to you.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

As long as you keep your firmware up to date, yes you can access the eShop on CFW.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I just beat Spirit of Justice a few days ago, and IIRC the last time I posted in here about Ace Attorney (when I beat Dual Destinies) people said the DLC for SoJ wasn't worth buying?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

On a US 3DS, language settings are in System Settings > Other Settings, and are the top option on the last page of settings. Though my US 3DS only has the options for English, French, Spanish, and Portuguese, not Japanese, a JP 3DS may have an English language option.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dual-monitor setup, but vertical.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So has there actually been an announcement that Nintendo's shutting down the 3DS/Wii U eShops, or is this all premature panicking over the fact that Nintendo has chosen not to update its obsolete consoles' firmwares to support new security requirements and is going to be stopping credit card sales on the consoles themselves next year? Asking because there are a bunch more 3DS titles and even maybe one or two Wii U games (mostly Virtual Console on the Wii U admittedly) that I'd pick up if the stores truly are going permanently down sometime soon.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Wait so buy things you'd have to have credit already stocked up before hitting up the store?

I may have to buy a couple things soon too then.
They are literally ONLY removing the ability to use a credit card to add funds directly from a 3DS or Wii U. You can still top up using eShop cards (which add funds to your Nintendo account and can be used across devices, like the PSN, IIRC) and purchase off of Nintendo's website using a credit card (my preferred method because the eShops are kinda poo poo to browse), it's just like with Sony, they don't want to have to expend the time and effort keeping security on those old devices up to date for the minimal revenue it gets them.

At least that's how I understand it, but I've seen a couple people on here predicting doom for those eShops and was wondering if I missed something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, and the actual Nintendo website is so much easier to browse and purchase things on that I've been using it for quite a while in preference to using the individual console eShops.