Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Has anyone gotten the N3DS wireless microsd management to work on a Mac?

Finder>"Connect to Server" then entering "smb://3ds" brings up a user/pass prompt, but I can't get it to do anything but show a "no permission" error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Canned Panda posted:

I doubt it, especially since

as it says on the page.

I mean, it's cool to be unhelpful and everything, but in the actual 3DS menu options it just lists win7/8 as "verified supported clients" and in the Nintendo howto it just looks like a windows file share, which is what smb:// is on a Mac.

Thanks.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I get this when I attempt to play plex video, any thoughts??

If you really want to, run the video through Subler or whatever the windows equivalent is. It'll re-container the whole thing and transcode the audio. The video content will be untouched but you'll lose any surround audio. It's basically what you do to play files on iOS without licensed audio codecs.

There might be a way to make a transcoding profile for the 3DS browser, but the 3DS isn't showing in my Plex device history, even though every other browser I've ever used to connect is there.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
There's 4 black and 2 red at the local Toys R Us along with the $10 Majora game bundle discount. Where's the beef jerky dick sucking line?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

The rear end Stooge posted:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Carrying-Case-Nintendo-3DS-Lite/dp/B0050SVPCO/ This is really sturdy and fits the n3DSXL perfectly. It also has some game card slots if you're buying physical games.

I bought that one, then noticed BestBuy has this one that looks very similar for a few bucks less.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-go-case-for-nintendo-3ds-3ds-xl-black/3623019.p?id=1219092579144&skuId=3623019

Oh well.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Look what you all started.

"Hold on to your skinny jeans! JNCO is back"

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I'm stranded at DFW all day so I'm just riding the Skylink train in circles.

I can't keep up with all these streetpasses long enough to play a real game!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Trip report on Walmart Preowned 3DS games:

Good games never show up by browsing the site, but googling specific titles gets you to a product page. I refreshed randomly for a few nights and eventually snagged DKCR for $16 and ALBW for $21. I also saw Pokemon X/Y for $21 but didn't bite.

Store pickup took 10 days because they UPS'd the games to a distribution center then sent them on a regular stock truck.

Games arrived in their original cases, even plastic-wrapped in the same style as new games. If it weren't for the missing manuals and Club Coin slips, as well as existing save data, they would be indistinguishable from new.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 24, 2015

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Etrips posted:

Can you give an example of what you are googling? Wouldn't mind paying those prices for a few games I want.

"walmart pre-owned pokemon y" brought up pages like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/37310558?...ctRedirect=true

When I ordered they had used prices listed, but were out of stock. I'm having trouble finding that now so I'm worried something has changed.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Tender Bender posted:

I would guess the screw trouble stems from the fact that 1) The screws don't actually come out, and they're in fact fully unscrewed fairly quickly, and 2) The backplate feels very firmly attached even after it's unscrewed. If you don't know both of those things I could see someone just sitting there forever with a screwdriver not knowing what was going on.

Once the screws are free-spinning like that they're basically impossible to strip. Lefty-loosey.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I'm kind of disappointed at all the graphics slowdowns in DKCR. It happens during big pans in 2D, and in 3D the effect gets kind of "shuddery" a lot, even with facetracking.

Is there any way to remap the controls to be closer to what they were on SNES? I'd really prefer pound to be on a shoulder button and barrel-carry to be back in its rightful spot.

On the Wii version it took a cheat code to enable classic controls, so I'm assuming, "no."

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

epsilon posted:

Does that also include DS games functionality? I don't need it but it would be nice. And this all works with up-to-date firmware?

The dstwo as been discontinued for a few months and is basically impossible to find new. A dstwo+ is supposedly coming soon, but no one really knows when or what the card will actually be capable of.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

epsilon posted:

Can I just get one of the older flashcarts that were built for the DS and use those for DS/GBA games? I do not and never will be using it to get 3DS anything.

The R4i Gold will play NDS and NDS homebrew on a current firmware 3DS or New3DS.

NOT "R4i Gold Pro" or any of the many other similarly-named cards from random groups who have adopted the defunct "R4" group name.

GBA is not really an option currently. I have serious doubts about the dstwo+ as rumors purport that that it will do some things that are pretty outlandish given the current state of exploits.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Crimson Harvest posted:

Wouldn't it have to force the system into the Ambassador GBA mode? You can't actually do anything with the system in that mode but run your game and quit to the OS.

The currently-unavailable dstwo had an on-cartridge processor to assist emulators. The community ran with it and made a decent SNES emulator, a passable GBA one and a few others.

No one has publicly shared a more native, non-emulated way to play GBA games.

The unreleased dstwo "plus" is rumored to be a Gateway competitor. I simply don't see how they can pull that off while retaining NDS and their emulator-plugin stuff in the same cartridge.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 1, 2015

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Waltzing Along posted:

Why would a game look better on a DS than a 3DS?

Native resolution.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You can take in 10 more Plaza Miis if you just invite the first 10 past the gate.

It'll prompt you to play mini games with the first 10 immediately the next time you open the app, but then you can play 20 in one sitting.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I really don't expect the kind of fit and feel from a $200 child's toy as a $500+ cell phone.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Gateway just released support for the New3DS.

It requires a physical copy of Ocarina of Time, which has already been impossible to find at a reasonable price for months.

Heh.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Awesome! posted:

haha wow now would be a good time to sell i guess

Sell it to me because I just beat ALBW and now I'm hooked on Zeldas.

I've been really hoping for a US reprint, but now I'm worried that Gateway might delay that.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

SeANMcBAY posted:

We're supposed to be getting info on the new one at the end of the month.

They said the same thing last month.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Grass Effect posted:

they need to do this for the actual 3DS so that full resolution SNES games can be played

Cubic Ninja exploit, but it's kind of a pain, doesn't work past 9.2 and there's no sound on the New3DS yet.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I got Monster Hunter based solely on the hype from this thread.

I have no idea what's going on. How to I make the cat shut the hell up and quit making that moaning sound while I walk?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Staying in a hotel all week. Every time I clear my streetpasses, I immediately get the same 10 back. Zero puzzle pieces, and while I have 10 level 7 heroes in FindMii, non of them are wearing a white shirt to clear the dark room.

FML.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Are all AT&T hotspots streetpass relays?

I've noticed I get a ton of hits in Hilton/Hampton Inns... Like way more than I would expect through the walls to neighboring rooms. ATT seems to partner on Hilton wifi.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Nolgthorn posted:

Sorry, Jesus loving Christ. I got that information from Wikipedia. Considering the operating system most people run on their computers is Microsoft Windows, it's a little bit sketchy that you need to... I dunno, boot a goddamn Virtual Machine running Linux to format your 64GB drive?

Here. Use this. I found it on google. It's pretty easy. http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Redditors are gluing poo poo to the backs of their systems now too!

http://m.imgur.com/a/ggGOL

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Fryhtaning posted:

Ah, ok. Think I'll get that one with my coins then, since it's impossible to find a physical copy of it. SM3DL seems to still be reasonably priced and would be better to own a physical copy of since I could see my wife playing that one, too.

SM3DL is still $14.99 at Target until Saturday. Seems like a waste to spend Club credit on it if there's something else you want.

(AC:NL, MK7, DKCR3D, and NSMB2 are all $14.99 and they're supposedly doing rainchecks)

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Fremry posted:

Anybody else have significantly better battery life on the new 3DS. I played OoT for almost 4 hours straight and when I was done, the battery meter was only halfway down. I think it was getting close to turning red, but my old 3DS would die after like 2.5-3 hours. I was very pleasantly surprised.

I never had an old 3DS, but the battery meter on my N3DS doesn't seem linear at all. The second half of the battery meter seems to fall off way faster than the first half.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Pokemon Y wal-mart pre-owned, $20 if anyones interested. Probably only a few in stock. I've had good luck with walmart pre-owned arriving in original cases.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pokemon-Y-Nintendo-3DS-Pre-Owned/37310558

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Argue posted:

They're not exactly fake; you can configure your router to join the chain of Streetpass relays that Nintendo has set up at Nintendo Zones, so that you can get passes from around the country. It's a pain to do, though, and involves changing your SSID and MAC address.

Basically fake. You're not making a relay to queue users that actually pass near your house like a McDonald's wifi does. You're pretending to be one of a random rotating list of McDonald's that people actually passed in a mystery city.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

the truth posted:

Just beat LoZ: ALBW. That was a cool game, and since I have a full time job the length was just right. I don't have much inkling to play it again right away on Hero Mode, but maybe I'll give it a try down the road.

I also just finished it. The game was just long enough that playing at an Employed Adult Pace, I forgot what special item I needed to beat a few of the dungeon bosses in their final reprise.

Being stuck on a plane unable to consult walkthroughs made those very satisfying.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I want Wii Punch-Out on 3DS so bad.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Dehry posted:

So they just got Ninjahax to downgrade the 3DS to custom firmware that can pirate games.

:filez: wins again. I suppose that means you can obtain the limited Four Swords game now.

Not a firmware downgrade. Temporary signature check patching.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It looks like all of the current pokemon games at $29.99 on Amazon right now and other stores might be matching.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Pollyanna posted:

Is there a tracker somewhere for watching for deals on an N3DSXL? I want to get one, but I'm hoping to grab one when they're a bit cheaper than $200.

/r/3dsDeals or make an email alert on slickdeals.net

You missed a Staples $170 sale yesterday.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

trdn89 posted:

Oh sweet, there's a fan translation to Retro Game Challenge 2?!??!?! That's worth the price of entry right there, I absolutely adored the first one.

The system I'll be using is on firmware 9.5.0-22 (and the wifi is turned off forever - there's not even an internet profile since I haven't touched the thing since the system transfer to my New 3DS) - a little preliminary googling says that the R4i-SDHC works on that release, but is there a different goon-approved flashcart I should consider instead which will work on that particular OS? I haven't bought a flashcart since picking a GBA cart up waaaaaaaaay back in the day so that I could play Mother 3 on a GB micro (totally worth it) so I don't know which flashcart to get or where to get it from without getting ripped off.

Thanks for the help - there isn't really a centralized thread for 3DS flashcart usage the way there was for the DS, for obvious reasons. Any guidance is appreciated!

FYI, that R4 may work on a 3DS but it won't play 3DS games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Zeeman posted:

OK, I know there's a lot of jokes in the thread about using a screwdriver, but seriously, how the gently caress do you get the back of this thing open? I'm using a #0, I can see the screw twirling but nothing happens. I know it doesn't come all the way out but the cover won't come off at all

The screws can't come all the way out so you can't lose them.

When they start clicking with each turn, they're all the way out.