Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

To Catch a Thief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tainen posted:

Spending some time on a plane this weekend and I have been looking on Amazon and Netflix for the download options to watch offline but am not finding anything. Are these really mobile only features?

Mobile-only and on a select number of titles.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I feel the same way about Stacey Keach.

Michael O'Hare and Andre Braugher, for me.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

veni veni veni posted:

That's, weirdly appropriate.

I can't stand most modern TV food personalities abut Alton Brown is my dude.

He's also an incredibly chill dude in-person. Also remarkably awesome? Robert Irvine.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

veni veni veni posted:

Is better call saul season 2 going up any time soon? Seems like forever since the first season went up on netflix.

March 27.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Just the first one and Rogue Nation, but both are fun. It's also got Top Gun and The Firm. The former is a classic, the latter I haven't seen so can't comment. Vanilla Sky and The Last Samurai on Netflix both have their charms.

The Firm is absolutely legit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

morestuff posted:

I like it in theory but the tone and direction has flattened out quite a bit since III

I loved how Bird handled Ghost Protocol but I thought a lot of McQuarrie's work on Rogue Nation was really flat. I wasn't thrilled to hear that he was doing the sixth movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Kodiak posted:

I really like the action choreography and general action staging, but I don't know how much of that is McQuarrie. I'l agree it's not presented in a particularly exciting manner. But, like, Ilsa Faust climbing all over dudes in fights is one of the most fun action themes in the franchise.

I suppose I was cold on Rogue Nation because it felt like McQuarrie getting up his own rear end with nth-dimensional chess or gameplanning or whatever. Nothing about that movie makes a lick of sense.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting to mention: there's a Nick Cave documentary on the making of his latest album, on Prime, called One More Time With Feeling

It is so fuckin good!

It is indeed excellent (saw it twice in theaters, bought the Blu-ray the day it came out), but bear in mind it's also somewhat depressing, as the narrative throughline is Cave powering through to finish the Skeleton Tree album after his 15-year-old son fell from a cliff and died. If memory serves, Cave personally financed the documentary (as he did the album itself) because he didn't want to do any media interviews to promote the album. Cave hates doing interviews and enjoys loving around with reporters, but he didn't want to do any promotion for Skeleton Tree because he knew that the press would just ask him about Arthur instead of the music.

Junkie Disease posted:

As for CT and RT its got most of both working on the new season.

Yep. The only people not involved with the new MST3K are Mike Nelson, Trace Beaulieu and Frank Conniff.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Uh, what? :psyduck: To my knowledge literally nobody from the old show except Joel came back, and Joel is only producing. It's all new writers and all new actors.

Bill Corbett (Brain Guy), Mary Jo Pehl (Pearl Forrester) and Kevin Murphy (Professor Bobo) all appear in this season.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Junkie Disease posted:

Outside of Mike saying no as to hes got his own show now, I expect Trace and Frank just need time in their busy schedule to get in season 2.
That said there is no cameo in episode one. This isn't a reboot or a throwback this is a new season.
Much of the old dna is in there with new dna.

Mike flat-out wasn't interested, and from some reports from the Mads Are Back touring shows, Trace either wasn't asked / has some bad blood towards Hodgson. (If anything, it would be over residuals; Nelson is on record as saying he's made basically nothing from the show ever since it was canceled.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

K. Waste posted:

Frankly, MST3K already had a pretty bad hit-to-miss ratio, so there's really no room for disappointment. There are a select few episodes which have the right combination of host segments and riffing that treads the line between parodying the experiments and (the more important part) retroactively making them into good comedies. But then there's all the rest, which is basically anti-comedy and dense referential humor that sometimes gets so specific you wonder if someone who got it would even find it funny.

See, I don't think this is true at all. MST3K, even in heavily sanitized form like the movie, always felt like it was born from a genuine love of film. For the most part, RiffTrax and Cinematic Titanic have continued that tradition.

MST3K just feels weird to look back at sometimes because it spawned a whole host of awful gimmicks trying to claim its legacy (like How It Should Have Ended, or CinemaSins) and a whole bunch of people riffing on movies without any idea of what humor actually is. The beauty of MST3K's referential humor is that it's actually rooted in a joke -- the reference itself isn't the joke. That's how we get poo poo like Family Guy and "I'M THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCH!" in X-Men: The Last Stand.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

K. Waste posted:

I already find them independently unfunny and cynical.

This is rich, coming from a master of cynical word salad like yourself.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

K. Waste posted:

what in the everloving gently caress

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Timby posted:

It is indeed excellent (saw it twice in theaters, bought the Blu-ray the day it came out), but bear in mind it's also somewhat depressing, as the narrative throughline is Cave powering through to finish the Skeleton Tree album after his 15-year-old son fell from a cliff and died. If memory serves, Cave personally financed the documentary (as he did the album itself) because he didn't want to do any media interviews to promote the album. Cave hates doing interviews and enjoys loving around with reporters, but he didn't want to do any promotion for Skeleton Tree because he knew that the press would just ask him about Arthur instead of the music.

One thing I forgot to mention, and I think this might be up Uncle Boogeyman's alley: The documentary was directed by Andrew Dominik.

As in, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I forgot Dominik did it. I should watch it, but I still haven't for the same reason that I haven't listened to The Skeleton Tree in its entirety, because the subject matter is so ungodly depressing I feel like I have to prepare myself for it. I'm seeing Cave live this summer though so I should get caught up on it before then.

The album isn't as depressing as you might think it is. The band was most of the way through recording the album when Arthur Cave died, and while on hiatus Cave rewrote a couple of songs (and wrote the title track). The movie covers the final recording session to finish the album. The last twenty minutes of the movie, though ... holy poo poo, I was in tears the entire time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

This feller also directed The Proposition, right? That movie is dope.

No, The Proposition was John Hillcoat. (Talk about peaking early in one's career.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Hopefully someday his script for Gladiator 2 will see the light of day.

Enjoy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Really though. You're a Nick Cave guy, have you seen Ghosts... of the Civil Dead? The only other thing Hillcoat's made that even comes close to The Proposition, although even more horrifyingly bleak (it's a nauseatingly intense prison drama, verging on horror). And Cave even shows up in a pretty memorable role.

Yeah, I saw Ghosts... back in 1999 or 2000, so I would have been 15 or 16 at the time. That poo poo hosed me up.

During one of my interviews with Cave, he said he was so completely strung out on heroin that he barely remembered filming it at all.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm about a third of the way through this and already wish Ridley Scott made this instead of Robin Hood when he had another chance to work with Crowe. Goddamn, Nick Cave.

The last fifteen pages or so are gloriously insane. And bear in mind, Cave had been clean from drugs for almost a decade when he wrote this, this was not a heroin-fueled fever dream.

Edit: I was just going through some of my old interview notes. During one of our conversations, Cave and I talked for over an hour about his screenwriting style and process, and so I had to ask him about this script. He said Crowe told him, and I'm paraphrasing, "Look, there's no way this loving thing will ever get made, so just put every lunatic idea you have into it and just have fun with this." And Cave was paid like $300,000 to develop it.

Timby fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 15, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

rngd in the womb posted:

So Scrubs is leaving Netflix tomorrow, and I just finished Season 4. Is it streaming anywhere else, or does it take a dive in quality from this point on?

Season 5 has two excellent episodes, "My Lunch" and "My Fallen Idol," which are essential. Season 6 has "My Musical," composed by the people who did Avenue Q.

Season 7 is one of the most offensively awful seasons of television ever produced, up there with the last two or three seasons of How I Met Your Mother.

Season 8 is pitch-perfect from start to finish, though, and the finale ... bring some tissues.

GonSmithe posted:

Scrubs sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9EhvDAMjWc

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GonSmithe posted:

Definitely dig into HBO stuff on Amazon because all of it is being removed.

That was a mistake on Vulture's part.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sten Freak posted:

Started Good Girls Revolt, 3 shows in. Set in late 60s at a newspaper. Involves a lot of womens' lib issues. Could be way smarter and less heavy handed. We'll probably finish it as it's only 1 season unless it gets worse.

It goes off the rails, hard, in the back half of the season.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

Manchester By the Sea is up on Prime (for free)

Someone sell me on it, I hate Casey Affleck

Incredibly well-made but incredibly depressing. Lonergan thankfully resists the urge to get too stylish with his direction and lets the script speak for itself, and Affleck is very understated throughout the whole thing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

It sounds similar to Blue Valentine but is it anywhere near that good?

Significantly better.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GonSmithe posted:

I can't recommend not watching Agents of SHIELD enough. It's not a treat at all and is a steaming pile of dogshit through and throughout.

Seriously. I tapped out after the first three episodes, and then gave it another chance when half the Internet was screaming that because of the Winter Soldier tie-in, the show had gotten genuinely good.

Those people are god damned liars.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I will never be able to forgive it for being the reason there was no Netflix season 2 of terriers.

Terriers didn't get a second season because about seven people watched it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Who was this?

Adrienne Palicki's and Nick Blood's characters were introduced in the second season to set up Marvel's Most Wanted, but ABC hated the pilot and decided not to order it to series. I think I remember reading that the producers were going for a "Marvel meets Mr. & Mrs. Smith" vibe but it just didn't work on any level.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

veni veni veni posted:

Aziz Ansari has really found his thing recently imo. I've always liked him but he had kind of annoying period where he bought into his own hype too much. He's really killed it lately with his last special and Master of None though.

I think his run on Scrubs permanently soured me on Ansari. I just can't stand the guy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Rob posted:

What a weird thing to sour you on him. He was as minor a character as you could possibly get on scrubs.

ZWA!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Michael Corleone posted:

Quick question on sharing Prime Video. I have an account, and my dad wants to watch Bosch because he reads all the books. We don't live together. Is it legal/ allowable for him to set up a device with Amazon Video and then I just type in the code on my end? They don't buy anything from Amazon and if they did I would get it shipped to my house anyways. Thanks! Also, can 2 people watch at once, otherwise this isn't a really good idea.

You can't stream the same video to two devices at the same time, but you can stream to two devices simultaneously.

As for different locations, I know it used to be possible but I've heard reports of Amazon doing IP crackdowns because of account sharing between friends instead of family members, etc. My advice would be to just pop onto Amazon's live chat and ask them -- the feature is called Amazon Households, for the record.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have no idea why it turned out like it did, but bringing back the series with Balboa and Creed ended up being phenomenal. They're both really well-made movies that are anything but the cash in you would expect.

I think one of the greatest things about Creed is that even though Rocky is in it far, far more than you'd expect, it never once feels like the spotlight is on him -- it's Donnie's story through and through, and that sense never wavers.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

but it looks like a sequel is due out this year too?

I'm pretty sure that was just Stallone and MGM spitballing last year. If it were coming out this year it would have begun filming ages ago, and both Coogler and Jordan have been busy with Black Panther. No official announcements, no SAG casting calls, etc.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McSpanky posted:

Hearing those cues kick in just right for the first time was like watching a masterpiece being painted right before my eyes. The whole score is true artistry.

Oh, man, those little hints when Donnie's training and when he goes on his date with Bianca ... so perfect.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, Creed's reception was really strong, I even remember some real Oscar buzz before they shat all over it.

Didn't Stallone get his first-ever Golden Globe for it, even?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BrainDance posted:

This is the first time I'm hearing "It's great". But I trust you guys have decent opinions half the time. Maybe I should just commit myself to watching the first Rocky and Creed soon.

The first two Rockys, Balboa, then Creed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, that's the biggest problem. There's a slight chance that the child will gain the appreciation of whatever the source material for their name is, but most likely they will loving hate it, resent the parent, and go by another name.

Your child will not be born a LotR fan just because you name them such. Sure, almost everyone likes Star Wars, but the child will never match the parent's enthusiasm.

My niece's first and middle names are Raven Amethyst. When her parents told us that, I was like, "Do you want her to be a stripper?"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nice to meet you...Haim Feldman?

This feels like the name of a character that would have shown up on The Office or 30 Rock.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

veni veni veni posted:

He is one of the Koch brothers, although I don't think he's one of the more infamously evil ones.

Charles and David are the ones who are evil personified, though Bill is still staunchly Republican and donated to some pretty awful PACs.

The funny thing is that Bill is estranged from Charles and David because of a dispute over -- what else -- money. When they're all worth billions upon billions of dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nate fisher posted:

When I discovered the Dirty Three, for like 30 minutes I thought Warren Ellis the writer was actually in the band.

Conversely, I discovered the Bad Seeds and the Dirty Three in, oh, 1996 or 1997 or so, so a few years later when I heard about Warren Ellis the writer I was like, "Wait a minute, the violin psycho does comics?"