Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Section 9 posted:

Just watched Tall Men on Amazon Prime. From the cover it looked like a Slenderman knock-off movie, so I had low expectations, but it had a couple good reviews so why not.

I feel like cover image is a bit of bait and switch because it has nothing to do with Slenderman (aside maybe some thematic inspiration), but that's not a bad thing. It does have faceless men in suits that seem supernatural, but that's about it.

It's not a great movie, but I enjoyed it and I think people who are turned off by the Slenderman connection might miss out. It is definitely not what I expected. The brief description on Amazon is enough without giving spoilers.

However, I did just get off a binge of watching a bunch of Rifftrax stuff, so it could also be that my standards for what is good are skewed.

At first I thought you were talking about The Tall Man, which is legitimately a great movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Parachute posted:

this movie is insanely underrated and i thought he was talking about it, too.

Yeah, I'm not being sarcastic or anything when I say it's a great movie. I was expecting passable Blue Thriller action but it really stands out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

Wait, that's what I thought too. Now I'm just confused!

Looking up the poster for this and I'm just thinking there's no possible way this can be good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

are you talking about :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tall_Man_(2012_film) ?

i watched this a long time ago on netflix, and though i thought it had some unexpected turns, i didnt like it. the twists werent enough to make the movie good for me overall. i applaud them for trying something different, but i found the final message muddled. its been awhile, but it made me feel icky in the way they portrayed the rural poor.

I am indeed.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Filthy Hans posted:

back on Netflix

It should never go away imo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Parachute posted:

yeah im just spitballing here but i dont think AYAOTD was the first one to come up with that concept

Yeah, it's only the twist of every god drat ghost story ever told.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sand Monster posted:

The entire series is basically just "segregation was bad and you should feel terrible about it" intermixed with fawning over the Red Sox and Yankees.

That said, the first half of it is really good. Back half is dogshit, really highlights Burns' stupid biases and blindspots.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Iron Crowned posted:

I feel like what the series did was make the Civil War accessible to the average person.

And also, repopularize Lost Cause "brothers on both sides" bullshit.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

business hammocks posted:

Ew. It’s shocking how the not-actually-about-slavery narrative was legitimated as the sophisticated, intellectual take on the civil war over the course of the 80s and 90s. In retrospect, there had to have been some Koch money or something behind that. It was even taught to me in (northern) high school.

I remember reading a bit about it, and the thing that made the most sense to me was that the people who were most knuckle deep on Civil War stuff scholarship-wise were all pretty much Lost Causers, so naturally they set the agenda without necessarily intending to advance their own bias.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

fishtobaskets posted:

I would watch the poo poo out of that. Jordan was a titan of my youth, bigger than Tyson, and the Tyson doc was loving amazing.

Thing is, I honestly don't think Jordan is that interesting to sustain a 10 hour documentary unless it's just a 10 hour doc of him playing ball.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If it was a solid 10 hour block of Jordan being a shrewd, thorny rear end in a top hat (which he was and is), I'm in. If it tries to present him as someone not contentious in any way, hard pass.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Welcome to my mansion mayne.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective No. 27 posted:

Maeby looks especially older. :stare:

Wait til you see Transparent.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

fishtobaskets posted:

Taika Waititi wasn't on my radar before this movie, but he is now.

Wait til you see his good movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The emotional climax of that movie is actually extremely good and the framing and scene transitions are something you don't see in any other comic book movies. Which is extra funny considering how much people bag on the MCU for being bland and uninteresting.

No comic book movie villain has ever been as inspired as Nick Nolte in Hulk.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I thought it was very *~true to the character~* that Hulk was NOT a brute, and mostly wanted to be left alone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sock The Great posted:

I can't believe it's almost 13 hours long. There is a Dateline episode that tells the same story very adequately in less than 2.

If you can believe it there's a follow-up doc that's like 8 hours long.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

deoju posted:

Something about Prometheus and Covenant feels like they wanted to make hard scifi with religous themes and heavy symbolism, but had to put xenomorphs in the script to get the studio to fund them.

I dunno what seems "hard" about the scifi in these films both otherwise agreed.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

married but discreet posted:

Under no circumstances watch Messiah of Evil on Amazon Prime.

Prime:

Youtube:

Goddamn.

precision posted:

Van Helsing is on Netflix and it still lowkey rips.

Always had a soft spot for it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Cause that's bull. We had a reason, and we backed exactly the horse that furthered American interests. The US didn't stay out of "stubbornness" and the continued, highly lucrative involvement of US "contractors" and intelligence agencies after official withdrawal is the template for later US wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Vietnam wasn't a mistake. US imperialism just lost.

Yeah, it tries to put a weird veneer of respectability on a pretty dirty war.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

Interview With the Vampire is on Netflix and it is still gloriously gay and good

It takes them way too long to get to Paris and Antonio Banderas is only in it for like 15 minutes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jose Oquendo posted:

Which one? He's made...quite a few for PBS.

It's a 15 hour thing about Ken Burn's boring life told as dramatically as possible.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Monglo posted:

Anyone seen that British horror Ghost Stories? I think it's finally been released to the internet recently.

It whips rear end. Where's it streaming?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Is Zebraman 2 on there?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Kodiak posted:

The Endless isn't Amazon Prime, btw. It's a rental. Fun movie, though.

Watched the Netflix Original Tau. Maika Monroe kidnapped by Ed Skrein and forced to live in an AI house voiced by an unrecognizable Gary Oldman. It's real bad. The sci-fi aspects are either tired or half-developed, and it never generates any tension as a thriller. Do not give it your time.

I watched the trailer like 10 times in a row because it seemed like they couldn't even get straight what the premise was supposed to be. I was so confused.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TychoCelchuuu posted:

That's me, sorry. I just love Denzel!

Mom?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lycus posted:

Ex Machina actually managed do something unique with the dime-a-dozen "AI becomes sentient" story.

I actually don't recall what you're referring to here.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That owns.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Season 1 of Channel Zero is arguably the least good of the 3... If you can find 2/3 somewhere, you're in for a treat

Yeah, it's definitely the worst of the three.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
John Carroll Lynch really makes Season 2.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

veni veni veni posted:

Disenchantment aka Medieval fantasy Futurama is up on Netflix.

Hardest pass possible.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

... really? Groening returning from the elemental plane of show creators, along with Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein in the writers' room, is a hard pass for you? I'm kinda stunned.

Ima keep it real, the last 15 years or so of animated sitcoms has been dire.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I agreed with all the Hardcore Henry complaints and then some when I first saw it in a theater, but watching it on a TV screen actually made it a lot easier to follow and more comprehensible.

This is something that got me good with The Blair Witch Project. I could not take it in a movie theater, at all. Way too intense.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

tweet my meat posted:

I got high as poo poo and put on spring breakers. This movie is loving wild, closest movie I can draw a comparison to is wake in fright, but a bit more stylish and with more sleaze somehow.

I wouldn't have gone there right away but that's a good comparison.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

married but discreet posted:

Miami Vice (2006) is on Prime. What a strange, strange movie it is. It's got a very distinct look that I can't quite describe, grainy digital fakereal? It doesn't quite look like a movie or a TV show or real life footage, one could say it looks like rear end but it's very deliberately looking like that. Perhaps trying to invent an early 2000s aesthetic like the TV show did for the 80s? The story is downright incomprehensible with everyone mumbling their lines, so don't try to follow that, just look at the moving pictures.

Miami Vice was Cocaine: The Series, and diligent researcher that he is, Mann decided to update it in a way that seems to anticipate vibing on Molly at an EDM concert.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

veni veni veni posted:

Observe and Report is really underrated.

Of the two dozen or so fake Taxi Driver movies since 2000's, it's easily the best one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

I don’t know how it could surprise you, I watched one episode and the characters are all obvious pieces of poo poo

I mean...it's the title of the show, lol.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't know if it directly refers to The Twilight Zone episode, but that should tell you how hoary and obvious the twist is. I don't even think they're that cute about it, though the show is pretty clever.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alterian posted:

Finished Castle Rock. I was really into it, but the last episode felt like a wet fart. I *like* weird shows too.

Wow it truly sounds like the ultimate homage to Stephen King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Here's how you get a good ending, Steve: chop off about 100 pages off that poo poo.