Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

I hadn't ever heard of it.

I think you'd dig them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The series is out on DVD, so I don't think I could put them up on YouTube again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Force Majeure is a great movie for those of us who wished that the actual film 28 Weeks Later was just a humorous exploration of the opening scene.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think they made a good choice, because a more serious take on it might have been punishing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Plus it seems more in line with Northern European filmmaking, not to get all stereotypical, but dark, absurd humor suits it well.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's serious like Riget is totally serious.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Is that Steven Soderbergh biopic on Che Guevara any good?

It's so good, you mentioning it makes me want to watch it again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm not sure if it's better than BI but I like it better.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Those 60's and 70's sex comedies are like the nadir of American filmmaking.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mr. why posted:

So Bloodline is really god damned good so far. Just 2 episodes to go.

So, it's not just worth it for Kyle Chandler?

stickyfngrdboy posted:

There's a film on Netflix currently called Charlie Victor Romeo. It takes transcripts of black box audio and has a cast act out those transcripts almost verbatim while sat in a mock cockpit. It's from an apparently successful play of the same name, and I couldn't stop watching it. I don't know whether to recommend it or not because the source material is real and it's so well done it might be upsetting for some people.

after each segment, a title card appears, with the information about the accident we just witnessed. This includes the reason the plane crashed (BIRD STRIKE, for example), and the number of survivors. Some of the segments are very short, because disaster strikes quickly, but a couple of them seem to take ages to go from normal to OH gently caress and the parts in between are incredibly hard to watch but even more difficult to look away from.

It's a great, great, great film. CVR is one of those films that makes me feel like they made it just for me to watch it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 23, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Broadchurch is good, but every time Sophie says "Mark" it breaks the magic.

Haha

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mr.capps posted:

what is with people and this phrase, I see it apply to every thing

its like the "pretentious" for comedy

Especially when it doesn't apply.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

Who uses Tim and Eric as a negative comparison.

People who don't know anything.

A MIRACLE posted:

Have you seen The Catechism Cataclysm?

It's great, but that only may be because Steve Little is great.

coyo7e posted:

The Dead Rising movie is up on Crackle. It's ugh, something. Rob Giggle hamming it up as Frank West was pretty fun.

That is exceptionally well cast.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Apollo 18 owns.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ravenkult posted:

Can I get some recs for movies similar to Rear Window? I've seen Body Double, Disturbia and The Burbs.

Also any movies about secluded cabins, houses, wilderness and so on.

I thought of a perfect one, re: Rear Window

Caché

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There is literally no way to predict if someone will like or dislike any particular VHS segment.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

I've been holding my tongue through most of the V/H/S dissing, I do have to say it's weird to hear someone say that in the movies they had no idea where stuff was or who was talking. I mean, I'm more used to the genre than most but...really? I found those aspects pretty easy to follow along with. Like I can't think of a single segment where that was a problem.

The viewer is lazy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wasn't me but that is pretty much Snow On Tha Bluff, which is great. Maybe it was me, I don't even remember what I had for dinner last night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Slumber Party Alien Abduction.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They're more like if someone wanted to make an extremely good movie, and an extremely cool one, in that order.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

forever whatever posted:

Tusk is on Amazon Prime. I can't really put into words how awful this film is and it actually makes me sort of giddy that Kevin Smith is allowed to keep embarrassing himself this badly. It is truly an unmitigated shitbomb.

Turned it off after 15 minutes. I would rather watch a Ghost Whisperer marathon.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's bad in a "Kevin Smith has been making films for over twenty years and hasn't learned a single thing" kind of way.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

neonnoodle posted:

Not true! He learned how to smoke weed.

You mean to say he hadn't been smoking weed since high school?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

Well I doubt anyone is "hate watching" things that are merely boring and banal, like nobody is all "oh man I am hatewatching The Young and The Restless guys it's hilarious". There's some element of "I'm amused at how bad this is on some level". And sometimes it's just schadenfreude.

I kinda do like soaps, but I don't watch them because I hate them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

I just finished up Garfunkel and Oates and enjoyed the hell out of it. It's like Broad City meets an actually good Flight of the Conchords.

That makes me sad. Flight of the Conchords was good! Perfect Saturday afternoon show.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

You have to admit that the first season seems more grim than everything subsequent.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's like Always Sunny (or ATHF) in that way. As the show gets wackier, it gets a hell of a lot more messed up, but the overall somber tone of the earlier stuff makes you take it more seriously.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

NESguerilla posted:

Why does netflix put "a netflix original" next to a bunch of BBC shows on US Netflix?

Exclusive right in the US, I believe.

Best movie put up in a while.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I should point out that she hasn't seen the guy as daredevil, she googled and found the actor who plays him.

Did you guys watch Boardwalk Empire? He was specifically cast as the housewife's delight on that show.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He's an alright looking guy but that hairline is distracting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Peep Show.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
No, not lighthearted but it's pacy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
To this day I am amazed that there's a show based on that book, which I think was out of print for a while because it came out, what, late 70's? Early 80's? It seemed like such a random property to make into your hot new cable thriller.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mysterious frankie posted:

The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness is up and sounds really good, it's a docu about Studio Ghibli. Anyone see it?

It's funnier than I expected. Miyazaki is a crotchety old gently caress and it's great because the movie keeps dipping back into this kind of childlike whimsy thing, which is jarring in a humorous way.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mr. stefan posted:

Is this the one where Miyazaki yells at a cat and tells the documentarists that their favorite anime is garbage? If so its a pro click.

Yeah, it's great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mysterious frankie posted:

Awesome, thanks for the recommend.

A movie you might know from the million gifs that already exist of it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

ooo drat, i'ma probably watch this now too

Probably seen every Harryhausen thing there is, but gently caress it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Anybody with Netflix UK watched that Victor Bout documentary?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i had to google this cuz i was like "i know that name" and oh poo poo, it's the guy Lord of War was based on right? i wanna watch that.

Bout's an interesting guy, and reading about his life is like a world tour of 80's and 90's geopolitics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

david_a posted:

So The Babadook wasn't entirely what I was expecting, but more importantly, how did I know exactly what the "pterodactyl" stock sound effect was?! Is it actually the same sound effect reused in 800 billion movies or is there some simple audio technique that happens to create it?

That sound effect is in Doom for gently caress's sake. It's probably on every royalty free sound effects CD.