Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Franchescanado posted:

My usual walk-away feeling of a Smith movie is "flat".

Dogma is, on paper, an epic. Fallen angels defying a missing God for their own path towards immortality, a woman chosen to save all of existence from the apocalypse, with the devil/demons trying to interfere, all during a road movie.

However, none of this comes across. Road movies imply travel, which there is none. There's no propulsion, movement, driving force. I don't feel like I'm following anyone, or going anywhere. I feel like the scene ends and they built a new scene when I wasn't looking. Demons should imply danger, but they're just hockey kids that whack people with sticks, or poop monsters that just fall apart, or Jason Lee being smarmy. The battle for heaven and hell and existence? It's a colorless scene set in an urban environment. Climactic battle? Shooting some wings and then a quick stab. Denouement? Alanis Morissette honking the bored protagonists nose and Alan Rickman being charming despite everything.

Nothing has weight. Nothing moves. It's stagnant.

The real hero is Alan Rickman, because he's the strongest part of the movie.

edit: Also, gently caress Kevin Smith for getting Selma Hiyack to do his movie, and saying "You know how you did a strip tease during From Dusk 'Til Dawn just three years ago, and how it was super popular and everyone loved it? I want you to do the same thing, another strip tease, but this time you're an angel instead of a vampire." Dude can't be original to save his dick.

If you can't laugh at a demon loving air conditioning joke I feel so bad for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah Room 237 is great, I like the guy who starts rambling on about how the moon landing was faked and how the government audits him every year and keeps him under surveillance.

:tinfoil:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Inspector Hound posted:

The moon landing interpretation had some of the best evidence :tinfoil: My favorite parts were really the analysis of the movie itself. I never noticed the impossible window or the kitchen weirdness. It made me realize how much attention to detail there is in the movie. What are some other good films-about-films? Because

Yeah they talked about a ton of little stuff I would have never noticed from just watching the movie. The patterns on the rugs, the cans in the kitchen etc. Kubrick is a goddamn genius.

Heart of Darkness is a good one, it's about the making of Apocalypse Now and was made by Francis Coppola. So much crazy poo poo happened during that movie.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Has anyone not seen Gangs of New York at this point?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I just saw it for the first time a couple months ago. It's a fine movie, and I enjoyed it, but it cemented in my mind that Leonardo DiCaprio can't act. It seemed so painfully in obvious to me in this particular movie because everyone else owns their roles, and Leo is just kind of there in comparison.

Oh it's all Daniel Day Lewis my friend. He's the reason to watch that movie.

Human Tornada posted:

Gangs of New York is a little frustrating because it's a good movie that has a great movie hidden somewhere inside of it. IMO if it were edited down by about a half-hour it could be considered top-tier Scorsese.

This was pretty much my only problem with it. A little bit of editing could have made it so much better.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Nightcrawler is really good. And if you haven't seen Legion yet I highly recommend it, it's nothing like any of the other marvel shows but in a good way.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I don't really care about castlevania but dude blowing in the cartridge made me chuckle.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Headshot is loving awesome! Thanks whoever recommended that a few pages back.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

rngd in the womb posted:

Just finished Eastbound & Down. What an incredible ride. Thanks, whoever recommended it to me in this thread!!

Holy poo poo there are still people that haven't seen that show?! It's goddamn amazing.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Stanley embodies every feeling about every job I've ever had.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Always watch the Trailer Park Boys if you smoke weed. I don't even smoke weed and I love that show.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Two words: hash driveway.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Basebf555 posted:

They're too focused on every season having a ridiculously complex twisting and turning plot.

This is exactly what I didn't like about ahs, there's just too much going on plot wise. The story is a convoluted mess.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Nroo posted:

The battle scenes in Hacksaw Ridge were like if you took the already borderline macabre black comedy of the opening of Saving Private Ryan and exaggerated it to Sam Raimi splatstick levels. It was very bizarre to have that in the middle of what was otherwise an unremarkable movie that felt like it was trying to sell you on a specific worldview that the director seemed to either not understand or agree with.

Also I know it comes with the territory for American films on the Pacific Theater of the war but it felt really off to portray the Japanese the way they were portrayed in what was ostensibly a film about a compassionate pacifist.

How the hell could you interpret the beginning of saving private Ryan as black comedy? I'm serious I really want to know how you came to that conclusion.

And the new season of arrested development is good.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Nroo posted:

I should've stressed "borderline", I personally don't think it's funny or was intended to be. But for what it's worth the 2 times that opening scene was shown in highschool classes I was in, the bit from the video posted above drew some laughter each time. There's other bits in the scene that work as "jokes" with a set up and gory punch-line: Hanks dragging a guy for a while only to look back and he's now dragging nothing but a torso, and the bit with him turning to a radioman repeatedly until the third time he's missing his face. It's shocking and upsetting imagery meant to emphasize how random and cruel the violence is but the execution of it at points could also be set to Curb Your Enthusiasm music.

Meanwhile, I thought it was hilarious in Hacksaw Ridge when 2 minutes into the first battle some dude charges holding a legless corpse as a shield with one hand and firing a massive assault rifle with the other. I wish the rest of the film was on that level.

How in the blue gently caress is any of that funny? I have a pretty dark sense of humor and that doesn't even come close to comedy for me.

Jesus man.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Nroo posted:

The battle scenes in Hacksaw Ridge were like if you took the already borderline macabre black comedy of the opening of Saving Private Ryan and exaggerated it to Sam Raimi splatstick levels.

Nroo posted:

...I said it wasn't funny? Only that certain violent parts were oddly done in ways that could be seen as a punchline and twice saw classmates laugh at them? It's an issue with SPR that I don't like and have a problem with.

You had some hosed up classmates broski.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Basebf555 posted:

It's absurd, it's guys running headlong into wave after wave of machine guns, it's patently ridiculous(and heroic, and one of the most important moments in world history, etc.). Those "jokes" are there to demonstrate the absurdity and complete randomness of war. It's not funny, but they're structured like jokes because there is a joke going on, and the joke is on humanity.

So immature high schoolers laugh at it because they think they're the only ones who get the joke, because they're so "edgy" or whatever. Really though, we all get the joke but once you have enough life experience you realize that Death could play the same joke on you at any time, and that's not so easy to laugh at. Tragedy is when I stub my toe, comedy is when you fall off a cliff, etc.

Yeah it's ok to laugh at because dumb rear end teenagers "get it" ok dude.

:rolleyes:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
With the matrix movies I always said if the sequels were about half as good as the first one they would be fine. And they were about half as good as the first one.

The cgi in the second movie was hilariously bad though.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Master of none is really good. It's just an honest show and I appreciate it for being simple and direct. Aziz is every dude ever and it's great.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I know master of none has been talked about a bunch already but I'm around 5 episodes into it and I am loving this show.

It covers some heavy topics but it's still funny and I'm not sure what word to use, charming I guess? Just really well done all around.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

K. Waste posted:

and that's always the lamest reason to do anything

It's not a friends reunion though, the people in whas are actually funny and entertaining.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
When Walt moves into an industrial sized meth lab and starts throwing bodies into barrels of acid it's pretty clear he's not doing it for his family at that point.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Timby posted:

Doesn't he put a body into acid in, like, the second episode? :v:

Well yeah but he wasn't doing it on the reg at that point yet.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Hat Thoughts posted:

Which version?

Both. Bad Santa fuckin owns

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

tweet my meat posted:

So like going from a terrible movie to another terrible movie? Sounds about right, Bad Santa sucks rear end.

You are incredibly wrong. If you can't laugh at the bad Santa movies you might be dead.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
They were annoying as hell too. But they were teenagers so that's how it is.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Better call Saul has a Mike sub plot and that alone made me love it. Such a well written, well acted character.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Ozark is really good. Jason Bateman plays a great and subtle scumbag.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Transcendence is fantastic if you're on a bunch of drugs. Other than that pass.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

I feel kinda bad for laughing at this. gently caress it.

Can y'all make a thread to jack off to death note to? 3 pages of this poo poo now.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Timby posted:

I wish I could get into Master of None, I really do. But Aziz Ansari has always been a complete non-starter for me.

I thought he was just ok on parks and rec and I flat out don't like his stand up but man I loved Master of None. The dialogue is great, the secondary characters are well acted and interesting and it tackles some pretty hard topics with a weird charm and humor that kind of blunts the edges.

Give it a few episodes.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That was season 2. Also my favorite.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Bully is....not so good. Especially if you're going into thinking it's gonna be like Alpha Dog, which is way better.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Watching a bunch of teenagers rape and kill each other doesn't really do it for me. I know that's kinda the point of the movie but it's not my thing :shrug:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Boywhiz88 posted:

Traffic is peak Topher Grace

Traffic fuckin owns. God he plays such a good scumbag.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

fishtobaskets posted:

Patton Oswalt has a new special on Netflix in case you want to cry tears of burning sadness and belly laugh at the same time somehow.

I figured he was going to talk about his wife at some point but man that stuff about his daughter dealing with it. drat. :smith:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah wheelman was pretty good. Pretty straight forward, well done gangster/driving flick.

Not looking forward to the fast and the furious movies popping up in my "since you watched" section though. :jerkbag:

Field Mousepad fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 21, 2017

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That last driving sequence was excellent.

It was like "Why the hell is he driving backwards like that?!" Then oh. OH poo poo.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I'm not an Aziz fan at all and I loved master of none so take that as you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Chappie is pretty much Die Antwood the movie with a guest appearance by a robot.

I can't stand them personally but if you like them it should be ok.